Malazan Empire: Malazan March Madness - Possible Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan March Madness - Possible Spoilers! All Regions - Elite Eight

Poll: Elite Eight (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Wins? Mage Region

1. 1) Tayschrenn (15 votes [23.44%])

Percentage of vote: 23.44%

2. 3) Gothos (49 votes [76.56%])

Percentage of vote: 76.56%

Who Wins? Mastermind/Leader Region

1. 1) Shadow Throne (42 votes [67.74%])

Percentage of vote: 67.74%

2. 6) Tehol Beddict (20 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

Who Wins? Assassin Region

1. 1) Dancer (52 votes [83.87%])

Percentage of vote: 83.87%

2. 3) Apsalar (10 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Who Wins? Warrior Region

1. 4) Icarium (23 votes [37.10%])

Percentage of vote: 37.10%

2. 2) Anomander Rake (39 votes [62.90%])

Percentage of vote: 62.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mudhawg 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Getting close to the end! We lost our first #1 seed in the last round, but three are still vying for a spot in the Final Four. Winner from the Mage region will take on the champion of the Mastermind/Leader region, while the top Warrior will match blades with the top Assassin.

Tayschrenn v. Gothos matches old versus new. Shadow Throne is a new god, while Tehol has the backing of an elder. Apsalar is now a carbon copy of the ascendant Dancer turned into. And finally, a walking nuclear bomb versus the man who can send you to the hell he literally carries on his back with one fell swoop.

Let it begin!

This post has been edited by mudhawg: 24 March 2010 - 02:38 AM

#2 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:46 AM

Can't see Gothos losing to much of anyone, especially if even Raest+Finnest pales in comparison to dear ol' dad.

Shadowthrone has all of Tehol's genius, plus is insane and immortal. Gotta give it to him.

I can't see Dancer wiping out 300+ Claw in a single night, despite how freakishly good he was.

And if anyone could stop full-rage Iccy, it'd be Rake with Dragnipur, though I could almost see Iccy smashing his way out.
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:52 AM

Voting Dancer on principle. Apsalar would actually kick his ass, but let's not put that in the way.
Gothos > Tay
Shadowthrone > Tehol
Anomander > Icarium, simply because Iccy gets touched once by Dragnipur and he's gone, rage or no rage. Even ignoring that, Rake is a better swordsman, and can turn into a dragon if necessary (and Iccy can't use his arrows on Rake, if he's already rage-style).

Hey, would you look at that! The poll agrees with me on all counts. :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:25 AM

gotta put apsalar above dancer. her rage would be cold and icy.

gothos takes tays

ST, uh, uhyea. sry Tehol.

and lastly but not leastly! Rake and Icarium. literally had to flip a coin on this one, came up tails. Icarium
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Edonidd 

• Recruit

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

Gothos over Tay: God against High Mage seems dicey. Tay did hold back Anomander Rake though and I kinda picture Anomander Rake being a God killer already after taking out draconus...Maybe I voted to soon. :wacko:

Shadowthrone over Tehol: In a battle of wits I believe the one in the know has the upper hand and lets be honest, right now shadowthrone is all about the knowing. he knows secrets and can manipulate Gods, I'll give him this match.

Dancer vs apsalar...: hmmm.. Dancer as cottilion is like dassem as dassembrae. SOOO much more powerful but SOOO low key as a god. I'd say in cottilion there is the possibility for power that rivals shadowthrone. I wouldn't imagine apsalar winning against her creator, in every department he outranks her.

Rake vs Iccy: give me Rake. I can't really explain why because both are on a new level of powerful. I just feel Anomander has more things going for him than iccy. Who knows what a healed Icarium can do but I know exactly what Rake can do and thats probably why he gets my vote
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

with all due respect for ol' Tays, Gothos wins (DOH!).

Tehol may be quite cunning and all, but his little playground is kindergarten compared to what ST has been juggling around lately.

Dancer and Apsalar... I'll go with Dancer here, mostly because we never really get to see what he could do "on screen", and with this world, I'd err to the "more badass" side (mr. Erikson seems to love the "crouching idiot hidden badass" trope and similar stuff...)

Rake wins with Icarium. I can't really imagine anyone beating Rake in single combat, be it melee, magic, or a combination of both, maybe, MAYBE Gothos using a badass finnest (they can have more than one now can't they? :wacko:) on top of that.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#8 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Spoiler

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#9 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Gothos is Omtos pellack, Ice, it will melt before the raw power of fully mastered fire. And his mastery over the Azath will only matter if Tays walks into an Azath yard,

Gods rule the field concerning all others, so Dancer ST en Ano
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#10 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 24 March 2010 - 11:52 AM, said:

Gothos is Omtos pellack, Ice, it will melt before the raw power of fully mastered fire. And his mastery over the Azath will only matter if Tays walks into an Azath yard,

Gods rule the field concerning all others, so Dancer ST en Ano

When giant piece of frost hit your head, there is no time to melt it :wacko: And even fire needs oxygen...and frozen air...OK, OK, Im no Sheldon! But I understand that you have to stay at your side :p
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#11 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

Fire from the Labyrinth of Telas. Imagine a huge bathtub full of fire in which you only need to make a hole. And Tays can make a very huge one. If Telas were concerned with oxygen, the warren would have snuffed out a few days after K'rul made it.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#12 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Point for ya! (dont bring physics and climatology to fantasy - golden rule I forgot)
- Fiddler

#13 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Grantd that telas against omtose phalleck favours telas bt wuld such a principle hold when it comes down 2 elder warrens? Darkness is seen as an open contender 2 light. By al logic light should clean the floor against darkness but it doesn't. I think the quality of telas pales in comparison 2 the quality of omtose phalleck
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#14 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

By all means I don't think this would be a contest of aspects. Raw brute power would be enough. In them Jaghut wars, I wouldn't say Imass were just frozen in ice or whatever - there were being shattered, torn to pieces, blown apart.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#15 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Spoiler

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#16 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Gothos - I don't think there is anyone that he couldn't kill.
Shadowthrone - Tehol is awesome and all but Shadowthrone has an entire warren at his disposal
Dancer - Teacher > student.
Icarium - Just cause everyone seems to be more terrified of him...

#17 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

Went Gothos over Tays, for the simple fact that i think Gothos is one of the very few elite select players behind everything going on in the series (can't really pinpoint why, just a nagging hunch...), so Tays would have been one of his pawns anyways

Shadowthrone over Tehol for ST's sheer mad genuis (although if he's worried over his own Magi, then maybe this could be a very close battle) and having a warren at his disposal (big fragment anyhow)

I went Apsalar for the showdown with Dancer. She's got his memories and virtually all, if not in fact all. of his deadly skills. She uses this to her advantage in one nasty and epic Shadowdance. Although a fight between them two would most likely end up with BOTH dead when its said and done!

Icarium gone Chernobyl would fuck Rake up from what i see. Although Rake with Dragnipur in his hands.....
Still, didn't do him much good when fighting Dassembrae, and EVERYONE seems to be scared of full-rage Iccy! Really hard to vote against Rake, as he's one of my favorite characters, but still, there it is!

#18 User is offline   Tool 

• Undead

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostThe Seguleh 46th, on 26 March 2010 - 12:25 AM, said:

Went Gothos over Tays, for the simple fact that i think Gothos is one of the very few elite select players behind everything going on in the series (can't really pinpoint why, just a nagging hunch...), so Tays would have been one of his pawns anyways

Shadowthrone over Tehol for ST's sheer mad genuis (although if he's worried over his own Magi, then maybe this could be a very close battle) and having a warren at his disposal (big fragment anyhow)

I went Apsalar for the showdown with Dancer. She's got his memories and virtually all, if not in fact all. of his deadly skills. She uses this to her advantage in one nasty and epic Shadowdance. Although a fight between them two would most likely end up with BOTH dead when its said and done!

Icarium gone Chernobyl would fuck Rake up from what i see. Although Rake with Dragnipur in his hands.....
Still, didn't do him much good when fighting Dassembrae, and EVERYONE seems to be scared of full-rage Iccy! Really hard to vote against Rake, as he's one of my favorite characters, but still, there it is!

Remember that Rake was not trying to win his fight over Dassembrae and strategically controlled the fight to the point where he positioned his own blade to be driven into himself by Dassem's blade. I think that Dragnipur when would in fact give him a good chance of defeating Icarium, but you are right about his rage, it could be unstoppable. Very close in any respect.

#19 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Trull managed to hold a raging Iccy back for a considerable while. I doubt the bigger badasses in the series couldn't do way more than that.

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

View PostGothos, on 26 March 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

Trull managed to hold a raging Iccy back for a considerable while.

It confuses me how people always say this. I got the impression it was more like 15 seconds.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users