Malazan Empire: Malazan March Madness - Possible Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan March Madness - Possible Spoilers! Warrior Region

Poll: Warrior Region (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Wins?

1. 1) Karsa (47 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. 16) Gruntle (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Who Wins?

1. 8) Brys Beddict (28 votes [59.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.57%

2. 9) Kallor (19 votes [40.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.43%

Who Wins?

1. 5) Caladon Brood (26 votes [55.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

2. 12) Silchas Ruin (21 votes [44.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.68%

Who Wins?

1. 4) Icarium (42 votes [89.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.36%

2. 13) Trull (5 votes [10.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

Who Wins?

1. 6) Skinner (18 votes [38.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

2. 11) Tool (29 votes [61.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.70%

Who Wins?

1. 3) Traveller (45 votes [95.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.74%

2. 14) Iron Bars (2 votes [4.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

Who Wins?

1. 7) 2nd Seguleh (30 votes [63.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.83%

2. 10) Mok (17 votes [36.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

Who Wins?

1. 2) Anomander Rake (46 votes [97.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 97.87%

2. 15) Urko Crust (1 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mudhawg 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Ok, so with inspiration from the suvudu.com website and their cage match, and of course the NCAA tournament going on here in the U.S., I have spent the last 4 hours putting together a Malazan Tournament Bracket.

There are 64 total characters in the tournament, with 4 regions (referring to character type). A select few characters are listed twice, due to different roles we see them play. The regions are: Warrior, Mage, Assassin, and Mastermind/Leader.

Mostly self explanatory, although different people could be in different regions. (Rake could be mage or warrior.) So I tried to stick with their most seen role. The Mastermind/Leader region was tough, because you had people like Kruppe who seem to be running whole shows versus battlefield or squad leaders such as Dassem or Fiddler. So give me some flexibility there.

I have read all the Malazan books except for Dust of Dreams, which I have just started. There may be worthy individuals left off the list, but I only had 16 spots per region, so deal with it. Not sure the best way to let everyone start voting except by topic poll. If anyone has any better ideas, I would be interested. With that being said, let's start with the Warrior region.

Feel free to post arguments below!

Have fun!

This post has been edited by mudhawg: 17 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

#2 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

My votes - Karsa, Brys, Brood, Trull (close one, but All you gotta do is hit Iccy on the head!), Skinner (too close to call, but meh), Skinner, Traveller, Mok (by a landslide), Rake
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Mine are Karsa, Kallor, Brood, Iccy, Tool, Traveller, Second, Rake

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Oh my, the concept is interesting, but I don't get some of your match-ups at all.

First of all, you should probably add some spoiler warning to your title and the OP.

What more, while we have seen mortals stand toe to toe with ascendants and gods, they really aren't in the same league. It's not fair to put Dassem vs Iron Bars or Rake vs Crust.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 15 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

#5 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

He wouldn't need to put spoilers in the title, if you had not put spoilers in your post Apty.

#6 User is offline   mudhawg 

• Corporal

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

As to the match-ups, I seeded in a completely subjective way the 16 choices. So, typically 1 would be strongest, 16 weakest. Then just copied the seeding match-ups from the NCAA tournament. So especially this first round, you will have some mismatches, but as the rounds go on, the matchups should get tougher.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

These topics kind of invite discussion. It would be hard to discuss these things without some spoilers.

But you're right, spoiler tags added for the uninitiated.

#8 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 March 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

But you're right

Saved, because I am awesome

/thread derailment

#9 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Absolutely just a loaded bracket here. Any time you get a Hammer of Burn wielding ascendant known as 'the Warlord' as a 5 seed you know you are in for some epic matchups. The 8/9 matchup was the most difficult to pick but I had to go with the young up and comer, recently returned to the full vivacity of life. The 7/10 matchup was difficult to pick as well as we haven't seen a whole lot of the two, and they both encountered very different styles to get to this point, (armies, dinosaurs and undead swordsmen vs. a group of really mean dogs) but I'm gonna go with youth as a theme in this bracket and take Mok because its entirely possible the second spends the match bitching and doesn't realize they've started until Mok has disabled half his limbs. My only other first round upset is Tool over Skinner. It was actually an easy one for me when I thought about it. Tool's undeadness totally nullifies any poison that Skinner might try to sneak past the judges and into the match. Skinner does have that tough defense that seems impossible to penetrate on, but if you really break it down there are vulnerable seams to it. If you are looking for one matchup to watch it'll be interesting to see how the Son of Darkness deals with the committee's decision to slight him and put him as the number two seed. He might really wanna go out there and prove to all his loyal followers that he hasn't slipped and still has big intentions of making it to the title game. I'd like to give Urko a puncher's chance in all of this, but I don't think anyone but Killy can knock out a freakin' dragon. Traveller has had too much experience with the avowed to be surprised by anything Iron Bars is gonna try and gameplan for him. And you definitely can't like Trull's chances. Back at the throne he was surrounded by a team of all-stars and still needed extra help to squeak out a tie. If Icarium comes out in full Lifestealer mode he could be a force to be reckoned with for the entire tournament.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#10 User is offline   mudhawg 

• Corporal

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

This is a really tough bracket. Any of the top 5 could pull this out, and I feel that 6-11 could win on any given Sunday. No upsets in the top 5, although I really like Iron Bars. Brys vs Kallor would be wonderful to watch. Kallor is the most confusing to me. I mean they had to bring down the CG to take him out the first time, yet he seems so subservient when traveling with Brood and Rake. So I flipped a coin and Brys won.

There's not much that separates Tool, Skinner, Mok and the 2nd. Mok has already taken out Tool, but he is the 3rd. (rumored to be a threat to 1st though). 2nd is obsessed with Skinner. Must have been a pretty even match there somewhere in the past. Besides all that, I went with Tool in the upset and am going to stick with standard Seguleh ranking and say the 2nd.

#11 User is offline   dsarll 

• Recruit

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

Love a good bracket. We might have undervalued Ruin, but then again Quick Ben owned him in RG.

#12 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

This were way thougher than the assassin's ones!
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 16 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#13 User is offline   mudhawg 

• Corporal

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:30 AM

Most of the favorites seem to be pulling away here in the second half. Skinner is losing in a potential upset, but probably wasn't a strong favorite to begin with. With 24 hours to go, still a lot could change!

If we thought this round had some tough matchups, it won't be getting any easier!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users