Malazan Empire: Charlie Stross (LAUNDRY series and other geek spy vs Cthulu goodness) - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Charlie Stross (LAUNDRY series and other geek spy vs Cthulu goodness) Was: Vacation reading input request

#61 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 December 2010 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

So you're saying I ought to give this Stross guy a go? THE ATROCITY ARCHIVES you say...?

have i not pimped this series at you yet or were you just not paying attention? :blink:

Yes. Charlie Stross. ATROCITY ARCHIVES, JENNIFER MORGUE, FULLER MEMORANDUM and google the short stories OVERTIME and ON THE FARM they're online free. Nerdspies vs Cthulu. brilliant fun.

Then read A COLDER WAR, also free, just for good measure. And MISSILE GAP but that's more unreleated.

Go. Go read. All of it. Go now. Thank us later.

I think I was sick that day or didn't see your recycling of the thread. Nonetheless, understood. I will add these volumes to the ever growing list of stuff I've got planned for 2011.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#62 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Both Missile Gap and A Colder War are in Stross' last short story collection, Wireless. Which has a bunch of other stories that are also well worth reading; including the novella Palimpsest (which iirc. won the 2010 Hugo Award)
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#63 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Iron Sunrise was also pretty good. Need to read Singularity Sky at some point, managed to get to those two out of order.

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have Accelerando and Saturn's Children sitting in the TRP. Saving for vacation read, appropriately enough.

Rmour has it theres another Laundry book in the works but not before 2012. Which is actually kind of funny in a certain meta-humour way...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Accelerando will do things to your brain. Trust me on that. Saturn's Children is okay but really nothing special. If I were you, I'd have a look at Halting State which contains one of the cleverest ideas I've seen in fiction for a very long time; and is due a sequel, called Rule 34, in 2011...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#66 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

Houston, we have sequel...

http://charlesstross...les-stross.html

Laundry book 4, THE APOCALYPSE CODEX.

Lube up your necronomiPads babies, it's CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN all over...

ETA utter shameless geek-out moment...holy dragonsfuck i had NO IDEA Stross created the Githyanki ....

http://www.antipope....#comment-112804

....and see posts 77 and 80...

#67 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Haha, I just got The Fuller Memorandum in hardcover the other day (Books a million had HC copies of TFM and Reynolds Terminal World for 5$ a pop. Yeah. I couldn't turn that shit down).

While I enjoy Stross, some of his stuff is ... better than the others. For instance, I enjoyed the hell out of the Eschaton series. Accelerando? Not so much. He reads strongly of Transhumanism/Singularity beardery, so if you can stomach that, good on ya, but if ya can't . . .

It's similar to Vernor Vinge for me: A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky are both great books (and I just saw he has a third in that series coming out! fuck yeah!), as well as Marooned in Realtime (haven't read The Peace War, can't find a copy of it). Rainbows End? Not so much.

I think it's a simple matter: when Singularity nerds go far-future, they can be pretty damned entertaining. Trying to describe closer-future, 'the singularity! it is happening!'?

It reads too much like self-hating geek-angst.

Oh, btw. Any book of Stross' where he talks derogatorily of the characters meatform? Yeah. It reads more like the author speaking than the character, in my opinion.

#68 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

The Apocalypse Codex. July 2012. That is all.

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 19 August 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Um what? is this some devious Cthulian ploy?

#70 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Ah... I did wonder what that was about... I must have pasted the wrong link... Here's the correct one: http://www.antipope....uncement-2.html

#71 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

I finished "Fuller Memorandum" a few days ago.

whilst I enjoyed it quite a lot, there was one thing that irked me.

spoilered, obviously
Spoiler

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostAbyss, on 22 August 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 19 August 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Um what? is this some devious Cthulian ploy?

View Poststone monkey, on 03 September 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Ah... I did wonder what that was about... I must have pasted the wrong link... Here's the correct one: http://www.antipope....uncement-2.html

It streets this week.
I did not know.
Clearly there was a mass population mindfuck, now corrected .

#73 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

The Reddit thread posted mentioned Case Nightmare Green will come in book 5.
Also, Persephone Hazard... best name for a spy ever.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#74 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I've been on holiday for the past week so my book buying has been somewhat curtailed (not my book reading, however - I got through literally several books on the beach - Railsea for one was absolutely outstanding) And I'd forgotten it was out this week. The Amazon Fairy has now received my instructions...

#75 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Weirdness - amazon.ca only offering the kindle and hb versions.
.uk offering the cheaper and consistent with my others pb.

So i added the pb to my FoD pre-order. A bit of a wait but i don't mind... it will be a great recovery read after FoD.

#76 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well I have a copy of The Apocalypse Codex in my sweaty little hands now. I'm about 200 pages in and it's great so far and probably about to get better as all hell's broken loose (figuratively, I hasten to add - although, as usual, the promise seems to be that it may literally happen later in the book unless Bob gets his arse in gear...) I also get the feeling that this book isn't going to play at all well amongst certain sections of the US community...

There's a lovely piece of UK Civil Service insider detail that Stross may not have known about, or simply decided was far too cheesy to include, in that when Bob goes on his management training everyone has to do the introductory thing where everyone says who they are and where they're from, what their job is and what kind of things they're hoping to take away from the course/meeting. This process has a rather gloriously apropos (for The Laundry Series at least) nickname within the UK Civil Service; and possibly elsewhere too, although I've not heard anyone else but us use it. We call it: The Creeping Death...

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 17 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

#77 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

THE APOCALYPSE CODEX. Just Finished It.

And it was good.

Not quite as brilliant as the prior three, but an enjoyable entry in the series nontheless.

The main strength of this book is Stross' development of Bob Howard as a character on multiple fronts. He's seconded to 'external assets', essentially working with mercenaries, which necessitates him to push certain skills but also challenges certain beliefs. It works and it works well. If you've enjoyed the previous entries in the LAUNDRY series, this will not dissappoint.

SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS
THE SPOILERS AWAKEN AND THEY
WANT TO SPOILER YOU
Spoiler

So, solid entry, great build on things to come, not the best book in the series, possibly even the weakest, but enjoyable.

- Abyss, still doesn't trust prawns.

#78 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

BASHFUL INCENDIARY.... Sneaky :)

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

That too.
I can't claim familiarity with Modesty Blaise tho'. From what wikipedia tells me the references were pretty abundant in Hazard's backstory at least. And the shift in focus to Johnny was a nice touch moving beyond the usual sidekick roll Blase's guy had.

Still, it was a funny choice for Stross to go with. It seems unlikely the majority of his readers would know it.

#80 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I would disagree. Especially given Lovecraftian/Spy mashup thing he's been doing with these. Modesty Blaise at least has name recognition going for her - she does get name checked all over the place. And I, for one, am actually far more familiar with her adventures than I was with the Ludlum references from the previous one.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users