• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

View PostPuck, on 26 January 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

I'm with Spin on this, just can't say it as nice as he did :p

Yeah, prizes are cool from time to time, but they're not what I'm doing this for. Being an aspiring artist and according to this an attention whore I'm happy when people like my works and when I can contribute to this community :) I think the best prizes - if you want to give any - for me [and I think for most of the other drawing people on here, too] are to see some of my stuff on the front page of malazanempire.com or to have you and Hetan sweep up what we produce and let SE see the stuff from time to time :p It's kinda cool to know that you're favourite author likes the stuff you and other folks get inspired to by his writing :D

I'm with both spin and puck

I do believe I need to earn the benefit of being featured on the front page
of the site so thats a lil challenge I set for myself :p but other than that the
reward is the actual work produced and the contribution to the site itself.

perhaps at the height of it all SE could allow for a published malazan Empire fanartbook?
endorsements like that are really golden oppurtunities and it would give all members of
the site something to look at with nostalgia 30 years down the line.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#42 User is offline   MiMo 

• Misty Monstress
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

@Corporal Nobbs:

O.o What a scene...

The contrast between the ambience and the action is... extreme.

My inner romance sometimes forgets the brutality of reality. This pice brings the memories back.
Also, to imagine a scene is completely different from seeing it.

It was a good idea to picture the reason for the ritual. A hate that is bigger than life itself.
What a strong picture!

#43 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

All right, I'm very slowly working my way into this one.

Still on the background.
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#44 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Pre-Dawn Hunt

Attached File  imass hunt3 small2.jpg (219.45K)
Number of downloads: 12
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#45 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

My submission (if the competition is still going that is)

Onos fashioning a hunting tool.

Attached File  imass small.jpg (148.59K)
Number of downloads: 47

I merged an old painting and a new digital drawing together for this one.
Kinda better than I expected :D
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#46 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

This looks effin' wicked, mon! Awesome stuff.

I wouldn't be myself if I didn't comment on a possible improvement though. You could make him... wider, more robust, more square kinda. Looks a bit more human than Imass as it is.

But disregard that. Another incredible job from Dolmen. Do you have a fanclub? Do you take commissions? :D
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#47 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

View PostGothos, on 19 April 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

This looks effin' wicked, mon! Awesome stuff.

I wouldn't be myself if I didn't comment on a possible improvement though. You could make him... wider, more robust, more square kinda. Looks a bit more human than Imass as it is.

But disregard that. Another incredible job from Dolmen. Do you have a fanclub? Do you take commissions? :D

Thanks gothos, granted, a bit more width about the shoulders is a good idea, i'll give it a try.

Do I have a fanclub?: Not that I know about, but I got a huge bunch of friends that subscribe to my
DA portfolio for updates and such, is that fandom? no idea.

Do I take commisions? I am always willing to try.

#48 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

Really good Dolmen, that background of the light coming through the canopy is almost photographic and I take it is the digital bit you are talking about ?

Excellent pic, but if I might just point out one slight problem I have with the scale, his left leg is parallel to the fire and is probably about to catch fire, or is the fact his head is flicked back a result of him going " OWWWW FUCK ! that burns ! " :D
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#49 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Really good Dolmen, that background of the light coming through the canopy is almost photographic and I take it is the digital bit you are talking about ?

Yep. been using 3d max and Revit 2009 lately for architectural work so I thought "what the hell" and tried to create a scene... Doubt I'll ever do it again, not my cup of tea, it feels less muchly. It has no muchlyness.
the rest as you can guess was photoshop and attributed to digital brushwork :D

Excellent pic, but if I might just point out one slight problem I have with the scale, his left leg is parallel to the fire and is probably about to catch fire, or is the fact his head is flicked back a result of him going " OWWWW FUCK ! that burns ! " :D

LOL :D

You're right my friend he should be burnin...i suppose I can't peg that to artistic licence can I?
Wait a second, I can! laws of physics? pfft who needs em :p

#50 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

That is a really good effort and I like the atmosphere you've managed to include.

We'd like to put this on the homepage - would you mind? pretty please? :p
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#51 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

I dig dolmen's

Good colour and pose.

I agree with the "thickening" of the shoulders and maybe some sharpening of detail.

Right now the background has more sharpness than the Imass and he looks a bit out of place as a result.

Maybe you could diffuse the background to match instead of sharpening mr. imass.

It might be nice to have some more detail on the sword too, since so much real estate is given to their description in MBotF.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#52 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

View PostHetan, on 22 April 2010 - 07:48 AM, said:

That is a really good effort and I like the atmosphere you've managed to include.

We'd like to put this on the homepage - would you mind? pretty please? :Urb:

Thank you Hetan
I don't mind at all :)

@CF: I agree, I'll have to balance the detail in the background and foreground.
Like I said before this particular approach I didn't really feel comfortable with.

#53 User is offline   K'Chain Bull'shite 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostDolmen+, on 19 April 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

My submission (if the competition is still going that is)

Onos fashioning a hunting tool.

Attachment imass small.jpg

I merged an old painting and a new digital drawing together for this one.
Kinda better than I expected :lol:

Onos warming his balls you mean, surely ? :)

JJ, really good effort :)
I'd rather have enemies than acquaintances that I'm not sure about. I'd rather take you as an enemy, defeat your arguments and make you a friend that way. Fuck compromise.

#54 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just putting this out there. I like the pictures I do. Yet..

here is the quote, in the OP. I will take what I think these pictures are missing..

a beard had begun, thin along Onrack's jaw line and above his mouth, the bristles wide-spaced and black as a boar's; but not growing at all on the cheeks, nor the neck.
The first picture captures this I think.

Although not particularly tall, Onrack nevertheless seemed huge.
None of the pictures give me this impression. The first one has a flower which gives the picture scale and that makes me think the Imass is standard size.

Ropy muscles bound to thick bone, the arms elongated, the hands wide but the fingers stubby.
All the fingers seem proportionate to the hand, rather than stubby compared to a massive hand. The arms aren't "elongated" if they are proportionate to the body.

The legs were disproportionately short, bowed so that the knees were almost as far out to the sides as his hips.
This would look abnormal, whereas, the pictures look normal, ie the legs do not look different to anything i've seen before. They should be bent outwards I think.

I have repped each of the pictures, I'm no artist and couldn't produce what you people have done here. I think you could improve on them though, it would be cool if you expanded further.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#55 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

Awesome job on Onos!!!
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users