• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Art Request: mortal Imass

#21 User is offline   KalamMekhar 

• Baconator of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

very nice, thank you for posting merl!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

The Man, The Myth, The Manning

#22 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

brilliant, and the perfect choice of quote
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#23 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 21 January 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

I would like to now encourage other prospective artists and stress that they ought not to be discouraged by this warm and fuzzy interpretation, as excellent as it is. Martial, angry scenes featuring pre-Ritual Imass are not only in the minority, they are non-existent. Please...

I have a 5 day weekend this weekend (YAY!) so I'm planning on doing something for this.
Early thoughts are for a bonecaster, but that may change.

EDIT: Merlkir, that is epically awesome. The pose, lighting, rain is all perfect.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 22 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#24 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 22 January 2010 - 07:46 AM, said:

I would like to now encourage other prospective artists and stress that they ought not to be discouraged by this warm and fuzzy interpretation, as excellent as it is. Martial, angry scenes featuring pre-Ritual Imass are not only in the minority, they are non-existent. Please...

I have a 5 day weekend this weekend (YAY!) so I'm planning on doing something for this.

EDIT: Merlkir, that is epically awesome. The pose, lighting, rain is all perfect.Posted Image

Great! I look forward to it :p

These contests are turning out to be better than I had hoped :p

#25 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 22 January 2010 - 07:46 AM, said:

If you're torn between Onrack or a bonecaster, you could always do both! Onrack was a bonecaster back when he was mortal (but gave it up before the ritual)!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#26 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Off in a completely different direction now.
Question: Did the Imass hunt with bows? I'm pretty sure they did but looking for confirmation.
It's not essential to my pic, just like to be sure.

#27 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 24 January 2010 - 11:03 AM, said:

Off in a completely different direction now.
Question: Did the Imass hunt with bows? I'm pretty sure they did but looking for confirmation.
It's not essential to my pic, just like to be sure.

not sure - Tool made arrows for Toc so that's a point in favour of the idea, but Onrack uses an atlatl (spear-thrower) in Tellann and I don't think we actually ever see an Imass using a bow.

#28 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

That'll work just as well. Thanks

#29 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

Is there a deadline?

I've got a scene picked out and have started the rough sketches, just need to know how long I've got.
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#30 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

No deadline for this one as of yet ;)

That's a point actually...I haven't wanted to overload our limited pool of artists but I have a lot of subjects I'm desperate to see realized. More to the point, I have a limited ability to encourage/compensate the efforts of those who are talented, knowledgeable and motivated enough to participate usefully in endeavours like this. Once these first two contests are over with, how will I motivate the winners to participate in future contests? In any case, no deadline as of yet for this one. In general, a deadline will arise when several submissions have been received and the effort seems likely to stagnate. Can I get away with asking for artwork with uncertain reward?

#31 User is offline   Spindrift 

• ###

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:29 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 26 January 2010 - 03:15 AM, said:

That's a point actually...I haven't wanted to overload our limited pool of artists but I have a lot of subjects I'm desperate to see realized. More to the point, I have a limited ability to encourage/compensate the efforts of those who are talented, knowledgeable and motivated enough to participate usefully in endeavours like this. Once these first two contests are over with, how will I motivate the winners to participate in future contests? In any case, no deadline as of yet for this one. In general, a deadline will arise when several submissions have been received and the effort seems likely to stagnate. Can I get away with asking for artwork with uncertain reward?

I can only speak for myself, but I am almost completely uninterested in the competition aspect.
The Malazan world is so overflowing with great ideas as to be overwhelming. Too many choices can be almost as bad, creatively, as no choices.
I like seeing an activity that has a single idea that I know multiple artists are going to work on, and that I can participate in without feeling like i'm just throwing work into a void. That's when i can focus on a single idea and get it done. That is assuming i have the time to actually do it, which can be hard to come by.

I know that some people like a competitive aspect, or an incentive to get work done though. so i dunno, man.
Reward doesn't always have to be material. Artists usually like recognition & attention, so finding some way to pander to that is often effective.

#32 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:51 AM

View PostSpindrift, on 26 January 2010 - 04:29 AM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 26 January 2010 - 03:15 AM, said:

I can only speak for myself, but I am almost completely uninterested in the competition aspect.
The Malazan world is so overflowing with great ideas as to be overwhelming. Too many choices can be almost as bad, creatively, as no choices.
I like seeing an activity that has a single idea that I know multiple artists are going to work on, and that I can participate in without feeling like i'm just throwing work into a void. That's when i can focus on a single idea and get it done. That is assuming i have the time to actually do it, which can be hard to come by.

I know that some people like a competitive aspect, or an incentive to get work done though. so i dunno, man.
Reward doesn't always have to be material. Artists usually like recognition & attention, so finding some way to pander to that is often effective.

That borders on the philosophical, which is to say, I like it!

Lacking any artistic talent myself, I hold such gifts in high regard and so I feel that if I'm going to presume to direct such efforts, I should offer something in return. What sort of recognition/attention would be compelling?

#33 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:38 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 26 January 2010 - 04:51 AM, said:

Lacking any artistic talent myself, I hold such gifts in high regard

Likewise - even my stick figures lack credibility. ;)

and so I feel that if I'm going to presume to direct such efforts, I should offer something in return. What sort of recognition/attention would be compelling?

Talk to SE or the publishers. Some ideas:

- some pictures put on the publishers website as well?
- Is there a world fantasy artwork prize? With professional an amateur categories?
- maybe Pete Crowther would like to put a few in his limited edition publications of SE, and maybe a section in "Postscripts" as well?
- have you seen the cool coffee table book full of artwork based on A Song of Ice and Fire? With Kormarcks' Jaime Lannister sitting on the Iron Throne (hehe, sounds like one of those metal toilets) on the cover. Who knows - a minor version of that to coincide with either the release of TCG, or maybe the next series if TCG comes out too soon for a tie-in?

Full credit to the artists of course, but I can't speak as to the ownership of the images if publishers get involved. From there maybe some sort of remuneration?

I'm sure there are plenty of other better ideas out there, that's just a few I came out with at short notice. I honestly have no idea how un/workable they are, so if they sound a bit pie-in-the-sky, sorry about that.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 26 January 2010 - 06:41 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#34 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

I'm with Spin on this, just can't say it as nice as he did :)

Yeah, prizes are cool from time to time, but they're not what I'm doing this for. Being an aspiring artist and according to this an attention whore I'm happy when people like my works and when I can contribute to this community ;) I think the best prizes - if you want to give any - for me [and I think for most of the other drawing people on here, too] are to see some of my stuff on the front page of malazanempire.com or to have you and Hetan sweep up what we produce and let SE see the stuff from time to time :) It's kinda cool to know that you're favourite author likes the stuff you and other folks get inspired to by his writing :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#35 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Merlkir, that is so great. Thank you. Wish it was possible to get these paintings in print.

#36 User is offline   Merlkir 

• hollow jerk

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

I did this because I felt like it. Of course, the prize would be a nice bonus. ;) There aren't many contests like this with actual prizes, it's mostly "Yay, you win exposure!".
I liked the theme, I felt like painting again and I think the book would be a good present for my dad.

Oh, by the way, the Huntress challenge has a many good entries and I really don't have the time. No need to wait for me. :)

#37 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

Awesome work there Merlkir!

I wouldn't be myself though if I didn't say something I'd change tho. In this case, his arms and legs seem to be closer to human proportions. Imass, I thought, are supposed to be wide and really, really thick boned and all that stuff. Pretty much like a warcraft dwarf, body build wise (ignore the head and armor ofc ;))

again, great stuff there.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#38 User is offline   Merlkir 

• hollow jerk

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, I know. It would be easier to pull off those proportions on a standing character, having him sit down I didn't bother trying. :) *pretends not to be lazy*

#39 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

View PostSindriss, on 17 January 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

As I recall, this is in the jungle, so probably very little, maybe a loincloth to cover critical areas :)

If only Pung did the same. Guy has me jealous and he's a damn fictional character in a book.

ALSO: I'm a horrible artist. Just give me the prize out of the kindness of your heart.

#40 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

Okay, finished I think.
Decided on a scene completely opposite to Merlkir's. Just for varieties sake;).gif" />

Attached File  Imass Killing FINAL smallME.jpg (451.06K)
Number of downloads: 20

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users