Malazan Empire: The game I bought today is... - Malazan Empire

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I bought today is... Bought any games recently? Share your excitement with us.

#281 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostGothos, on 30 October 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 30 October 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

I don't think Halo brought anything new to the table generally

regenerating health/shields, the scourge of modern FPS

The first Halo game actually uses a compromise with a regenerating shield and a health bar system that needs health packs to replenish.

Call it a curse or call it a blessing but I honestly prefer the regenerating health and armor system to the old armor and health pick ups system. I recently played Serious Sam 3 and it just isn't very fun. You're constantly micromanaging how much health you have, back tracking, reloading because that last fire fight took out too much of your health and armor and there's no more left in the area, getting angry because bad game design or a scipted/triggered sequence fucked you over and now you have no health, etc. If anything in the modern setting, the old system would make chest high walls even more prolific in video games.

I prefer the regenerating system because it gives you more freedom and allows for faster progress because you wont need to reload or start over. Yes, it's a system that makes things more easy, but in my opinion it's also more fun.

#282 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Not to mention that the music in Halo was head and shoulders above anything else on the market at the time (within the FPS genre that is, though I'm pretty sure it could make a good showing against anything out there).
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#283 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well I just pre-ordered Halo 4 today. O.o Not entirely sure why, given it isn't being made by Bungie, I don't game that much any more, and most of my friends werent' planning on buying it. >.> It just...looks like it will be awesome, I guess? :S

Oh, and I have recently purchased; Dishonored (good fun so far), Transformers; Fall of Cyberton (awesome!); Borderlands 2 (also good fun); and Medal of Honour: Warfighter (pretty 'meh', but not as bad as some reviews have rated it). I don't have the money for this, dammit! O.o

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#284 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Don't feel bad, Silencer, Halo 4 does look awesome. And, according to every review I've seen go up in the last 6 hours, 343i is completely worthy of Bungie's legacy. Apparently Halo 4 has the best campaign yet (both in terms of mission design and storytelling), and the multiplayer is supposed to be exceptional as well.

Monday night seems way too far away. I can't even remember when I was as excited for a game as this.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#285 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Got it at midnight. Played through the campaign and Spartan Ops and I've been doing some multiplayer as well.

I've had a hell of a lot of fun with it. To start, the game is god damn beautiful, and gives Halo a much-needed graphical overhaul. The campaign was fun and probably had the best level design of any Halo game - each mission was enjoyable and had something that made it stand out from all the others (whereas, in pretty much every other Halo game, there's a mission/series of missions that are a drag/boring). The story was very enjoyable as well and works great on its own (while it is called the Reclaimer Trilogy, Halo 4 can stand entirely on its own). Things might be a bit confusing for those who are less familiar with the Halo universe's lore. For example (Halo 3 spoiler inbound)
Spoiler

Spartan Ops is alright. It's some good shoot-'em-up fun with a fun cinematic to kick it all off. The story hasn't been anything special so far, but hey, there's still 9 more episodes left for this season and best of all they're all free, so I can' complain.

Multiplayer is great, although inevitably some people will dislike it. Personally, I haven't really enjoyed a Halo multiplayer since Halo 2. I wasn't sure if I'd like 4 due to all of the customization/load-out stuff, but 343i did a really good job. Grenades are kind of disappointing, though...it seems like they have an incredibly small effective radius.

Hardest thing to get used to are the new sound effects. 343i has built everything from the ground up, meaning that weapons and enemies sound entirely different than they did in past games. It's not a bad thing as the sound in Halo 4 is incredible, but it just takes awhile to get used to hearing such a drastically different sound effect when firing something like the plasma pistol (I've been hearing roughly the same sound for 11 years, change takes some time to get used to). Also, no more methane masks for grunts, so they don't sound crazy and high as a kite.

The musical score is okay. It's not bad, but it's certainly not amazing. Where Marty's music added to the games, the music in Halo 4 just accompanies the gameplay. It fits, but it rarely serves to make anything more intense/dramatic. There are one or two tracks that I really enjoyed, though.

Best gameplay moment? The start of the eighth (final) level. Holy shit. Probably the coolest thing I've ever done in a Halo game and an awesome nod to some other sci-fi stuff. I won't bother going into detail because I don't want to spoil anything, but 343i pays homage to some other sci-fi in an awesome way.
~Steven Erikson

#286 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yup Halo 4 is win. :) Great game all around.

It doesn't quite feel like a Halo game, what with the things it has borrowed from other shooters, but in the end it's a solid addition to the franchise and a kickass experience all around. I haven't even finished the first level of the campaign, mind; been too busy playing multiplayer (I normally clock the campaign on Heroic long before I hit MP, but not this time XD).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#287 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Pre-purchased the Deluxe editions of Assassins Creed 3 and Fsrcry 3 for the PC. I... I can't help myself. I have the self control of a fat kid in a candy store.

#288 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Got myself the halo 4 limited edition yesterday! Great Game

Discovered I won a PS3 Dishonored in steel case. More Excited for the case then the game.

Got my review copy for Assassins Creed 3 sitting gathering dust. I don't know when Ill get thirty hours to finish this game.

#289 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

For the people who bought ACIII: How is it? I heard the ending was pretty atrocious, at least on Desmond's end, which just further makes me feel that the developers tried to do too much...Desmond was totally unnecessary and the games would have been better without them, at least in the 3 that I've played...still haven't picked up Revelations.

Ordered God of War Saga (includes 3 main games and 2 PSP games, all on the PS3) for $30 a few days ago, eagerly waiting for it to get here since I haven't played the original games in years and I have yet to play the 2 PSP ones.
~Steven Erikson

#290 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

COD: Black Ops 2 just arrived in the mail. Why oh why do they insist on releasing videogames on a Tuesday in America? (I actually know why, but it still makes me angry though).

#291 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostAptorius, on 12 November 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

COD: Black Ops 2 just arrived in the mail. Why oh why do they insist on releasing videogames on a Tuesday in America? (I actually know why, but it still makes me angry though).

It doesn't affect me at all or anything, but I'm actually curious as to why?
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#292 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostLucifer, on 13 November 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

View PostAptorius, on 12 November 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

It doesn't affect me at all or anything, but I'm actually curious as to why?

Yeah me too. Pay day is on Monday maybe?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#293 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Media (CD's, Movies, Games) are all released in the US on Tuesdays.

There are two theories I have heard of why that is, besides tradition.

1) Freight generally ships from manufacturers on Wednesday or Thursday, this allows the games to get to the stores on Monday, although this may be because of the Tuesday release and not causing it.
2) Tuesday is the first day of the week counted on the Billboard top 100 charts, so music started releasing on tuesdays to take advantage of seven days of sales instead of less, all other media followed suit.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#294 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

I imagine the original reason was for shipping (although possibly for other forms of media rather than video games), but now it's convinient for things to be released on a Tuesday. This way, when a new book/game/movie etc. comes out, stores will know when to put it on the shelves rather than having to put up a new book on Monday, a new game on Friday, and a new movie on Sunday. It also likely drives sales beyond what Obdigore said - if I know that Call of Duty 15 is going to be released next week, I can be 99% sure that it'll be on a Tuesday, thus making it easier for me as a consumer to know when to go out to spend my money.
~Steven Erikson

#295 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

All of the above plus, statistically, Tuesdays is perhaps the slowest day in retail and so the shops like to release big games this day to attract customers and the publishers like it because there's not much else going on to compete with their release. It's all market analysis and psychology I guess.

#296 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostObdigore, on 13 November 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Media (CD's, Movies, Games) are all released in the US on Tuesdays.

There are two theories I have heard of why that is, besides tradition.

1) Freight generally ships from manufacturers on Wednesday or Thursday, this allows the games to get to the stores on Monday, although this may be because of the Tuesday release and not causing it.
2) Tuesday is the first day of the week counted on the Billboard top 100 charts, so music started releasing on tuesdays to take advantage of seven days of sales instead of less, all other media followed suit.

I once heard Michael Pachter explain that its because Wal-Mart wanted it so

#297 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Midweek Madness on Steam: Darksiders II 66% off...... and I have no money. grrrr
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#298 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I bought Anno 2070. (don't look at me please, I can't bear it.)

I generally hate these games. Then I started teaching housing, development and Urban theory. And suddenly this is my crack.

Will do my best to play more tekken tag in hopes of curbing my nerdometer.

That is all.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#299 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

give in to it.
you know you want to build those cities.

#300 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

gonna go get Borderlands 1 today, yes I know the new is out but I want to try it out before I get in too deep

I'm looking forward to getting ripped off when I trade in some old games, too

EDIT: I love this game, so killer

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 19 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users