Malazan Empire: why is it so hard to come up with character names... - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

why is it so hard to come up with character names... or am I the only one who has this problem?

#1 User is offline   boesjwoelie 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

well actually, its not just characters, its everything >.<

I've been trying to write a story for a while now. The world and background are coming along, as is the plot, but when I try to name something, just nothing comes out... Posted Image

So far, I've got four nameless country's, three nameless kings, and about a dozen nameless characters.

Anyone else has had this problem? And more, how did you fix it? Posted Image
"In a world full of pits and sinkholes, you dance the edges." Ganoes Paran

#2 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Yea, I'm trying to name stuff for my world and its really kicking my ass. I think as long as you get something down though it is fine, don't dwell too much on trying to make every name sound awesome.

p.s. since you broached the subject, I wanna name one of the peoples in my story the Aidar, but that name sounds so freaking familiar to me. I tried searching for it, but nothing came up. Its really eating at me though, and I don't wanna straight up rip off someone else if I can help it. Can anyone here tell me if they've heard of that before?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#3 User is offline   boesjwoelie 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Nope, doesn't sound familiar to me at all... in fact, can I use it? Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

WhiskeyJackDaniels, on 16 December 2009 - 07:49 PM, said:

Yea, I'm trying to name stuff for my world and its really kicking my ass. I think as long as you get something down though it is fine, don't dwell too much on trying to make every name sound awesome.

p.s. since you broached the subject, I wanna name one of the peoples in my story the Aidar, but that name sounds so freaking familiar to me. I tried searching for it, but nothing came up. Its really eating at me though, and I don't wanna straight up rip off someone else if I can help it. Can anyone here tell me if they've heard of that before?

Well Aedar is almost certainly some ancient ancestor from a GRRM book, but don't know of any Aidar...

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Eldar?

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

I assume this is fantasy you're writing. If I could make a suggestion it would be to not do the typical thing where you give everyone strange funny sounding names just to make everything seem different or exotic. There's no reason to give your average dude a crazy name like Arumorakk Haz'aarkiriiri. My approach is, to use an example, the complete opposite of Eriksons. I try to make the names of my characters and cities familiar to our own human society. My characters from the human populations have names like John, Peter, Marie, etc. Some times with more fantasy ish surnames, mainly the royal/devine/magical bloodlines because their ancestors descend from legendary figures.

Try to pick a theme in the way you're naming people and places, make the names logical, or have a deeper historical or cultural significance.

Try not to use the letter "a" too much. I've noticed that a lot of authors do this, every name begins with an A or uses a lot of A's.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

Recently I made solid error... in my first finished story (Im in final top5 of the competition;)), comtur of knight order is named Kilmandaros...I didnt realized that this uber cool name came from MBoF... so... I have to take it as tribute to SE:)

And other stuff I dig from my RPG times (Vampire, GURPS)... but names...thats pain.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Look to mythological characters from non-obvious traditions, like the Inuit or Hawaiians for inspiration. Some of them are really long, but occasionally you'll get a good idea from scanning lists of them.

I name every hero in my stories BJ Penn...
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

amphibian, on 16 December 2009 - 11:31 PM, said:

Look to mythological characters from non-obvious traditions, like the Inuit or Hawaiians for inspiration. Some of them are really long, but occasionally you'll get a good idea from scanning lists of them.

as a sort of corrolary to that, you could try some 'baby name databases', ridiculous as it sounds, they've got all sorts of ethnicities and languages, usually with a half-decent translation of "what the name means".

#10 User is offline   boesjwoelie 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

wow... that's actually a pretty good idea Posted Image

thanks

#11 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

That's where Tolkien had a head start being in linguistics. He used Anglo Saxon, Finnish and Welsh to get his names.

Become a Cunning Linguist! :crybaby:

#12 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

maro, on 17 December 2009 - 12:19 AM, said:

That's where Tolkien had a head start being in linguistics. He used Anglo Saxon, Finnish and Welsh to get his names.

Become a Cunning Linguist! :crybaby:

Don't forget to brush up on your Danish, too. <_<
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

Danish, the language of kings.

#14 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

or norwegian language of the land of giants!
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#15 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

Alternatively you can take a one or two word description of the character traits and translate them via babel fish... then just fiddle a little with the spelling to try and make a good looking name.
eg. Fiery: Impetuoso (Portuguese), Heftig (German), Vurig (Dutch) Ardemment (French). Then you just fiddle around with them so they aren't exactly right and it can give you at least a starting point for a name. So while not the most sophisticated approach it should at least help isolate character traits you think are important and act as inspiration for or placeholders for the character's real name until you find it.

Using other translators to less well known or widely spoken languages can also be handy.

Anyway, it is just a suggestion for when you are really stuck and have exhausted everyone else's very good ideas.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#16 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

amphibian, on 16 December 2009 - 11:31 PM, said:

I name every hero in my stories BJ Penn...

Please, not Inuit! I've just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons and they all have names like Anakjkook.

Anyway, to stay on topic, yes, I've had difficulty naming my characters. Not as to not find a name per se but more in trying in not making it cheesy or ridiculous. Although I woud find it strange to have "normal" names in fantasy,as Apt suggested.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#17 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

Ribald, on 17 December 2009 - 02:38 PM, said:

Alternatively you can take a one or two word description of the character traits and translate them via babel fish... then just fiddle a little with the spelling to try and make a good looking name.
eg. Fiery: Impetuoso (Portuguese), Heftig (German), Vurig (Dutch) Ardemment (French). Then you just fiddle around with them so they aren't exactly right and it can give you at least a starting point for a name. So while not the most sophisticated approach it should at least help isolate character traits you think are important and act as inspiration for or placeholders for the character's real name until you find it.

Using other translators to less well known or widely spoken languages can also be handy.
Anyway, it is just a suggestion for when you are really stuck and have exhausted everyone else's very good ideas.

That strikes me as something that would feel better in a 'distant-future sci fi' world, than in fantasy. Not to say it couldn't work (and honestly if not for this series, I could count the number of fantasy books I've read on one hand), but I think it would be odd without an enormous amount of filler so that it makes sense to the world.

If, however, someone wanted to go that route, I think/have been told that google's translator is better for non-european languages.

#18 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

I don't normally have a problem naming stuff. The suggestions above are good, though I'd avoid being too obvious with the character-trait-translation thing.

I like the Dickens approach (also used by Mervyn Peake and China Mieville), with English words combined to give a flavour of the character, maybe even some foreshadowing. One of my cultures in the WiP has this kind of naming convention, and my female protagonist has the name Quill Blackspire. It does make naming easier.

I also try to keep various phonemes together in a culture, to make it seem more natural.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#19 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

Google is your best friend here. I have spent many hours trawling through various name databases from across the world (and across time) as well as the massive baby name databases in order to find the right names. There are numerous random name generators out there too, and I found that in amongst every hundred crap names they chuck out I can dig out ten I can use (or slightly modify).
Nicknames are always handy if used well, so I don't use them for soldiers (too close to SE and GC) but I have done for thieves, ruffians, streetkids and mercs - all places where they feel legitimate to me.
Some place names might have historic or religious significance (Bishopshill, Kingsbridge, Three Hills, Brokenfort, etc) but others are just names I choose. I do think it is important to remain geographically and politically consistent when naming characters and places in your world to give that added sense of realism (so that Vitori Picelli and Viktor Ivanovic were not both born in the town of Al-Hamil Fedwah).
There are many names that will already give readers an subconscious idea of what to expect - you might have already got images in your head of the two men named above and of the town - and if I then described Picelli as a towering blonde-haired barbarian, Ivanovic as a black-skinned tribal shaman and the town of Al-Hamil Fedwah as an ice-bound outpost you wouldn't but it.
Victory is mine!

#20 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I use a combination of mythology/religion, baby names databases and words that describes traits the character has. I find it a lot easier to come up with girls' names than boys' names, though. Anyone else feel that way?
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users