• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stormriders Just what are they

#1 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

From what I read they seem to be somehow connected the Jaghut or at least a Jaghut and they appear despite for all intents and purposes being the aggressors to view humans as being on the offensive rather than on the defensive

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

its been speculated that they are denizens of Omtose Phellack and that a massive jaghut ritual gone awry allowed them to touch the world of malaz and survive in the oceans. nobody is quite sure but RCG SPOILER
Spoiler

i'm excited to read ICE's stonewielder as it's supposedly takes place on korelri

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 November 2010 - 08:41 PM
Reason for edit: SPOILER FU STRIKE!

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

Ah so they're the equivalent of the demons that dwell within Shadow

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

View PostBen Adephon Delat, on 03 November 2009 - 03:09 PM, said:

Ah so they're the equivalent of the demons that dwell within Shadow

Interesting, I hadn't thought of them like that before.

My original take was that they had actually manifested themselves out of a particularly strong and focused vein of Jaghut sorcery.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

So basically there's nothing concrete about what they are

#6 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

Something just popped up into my head about this during a re-read. Is it possible that the Stormriders have some sort of connection with the Crippled God? In GotM Kruppe is reading in Mammot's study and comes across this passage "In the Calling Down many lands were sundered by the God's Fists, and things were born and things were released. Chained and Crippled was this God."

Korel is right next to Jacuruku where the Fall happened,
Spoiler
. The Stormriders are found in the Sea of Storms right next to Korel. And in the second part of the quote above it states that things were born and released by the fall. Is it possible that the fall created, or unleashed the stormriders?
Actually, I didn't.

It was ever thus.

#7 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

DOD SPOILER

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 November 2010 - 08:42 PM
Reason for edit: SPOILER FU STRIKE!!!!

" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#8 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

If thatsa DoD spoiler I can't read it yet...but if this is a RAFO moment, just let me know

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 November 2010 - 08:43 PM
Reason for edit: still more spoiler fu

Actually, I didn't.

It was ever thus.

#9 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 December 2009 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostUrizen, on 01 December 2009 - 08:42 AM, said:

Spoiler

If thatsa DoD spoiler I can't read it yet...but if this is a RAFO moment, just let me know

It's a DoD spoiler...
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 December 2009 - 05:50 AM, said:

Something just popped up into my head about this during a re-read. Is it possible that the Stormriders have some sort of connection with the Crippled God? In GotM Kruppe is reading in Mammot's study and comes across this passage "In the Calling Down many lands were sundered by the God's Fists, and things were born and things were released. Chained and Crippled was this God."

Spoiler
. The Stormriders are found in the Sea of Storms right next to Korel. And in the second part of the quote above it states that things were born and released by the fall. Is it possible that the fall created, or unleashed the stormriders?

I don't know. I think that the "things were born and things were released" refers to (MoI spoiler)
Spoiler
which, as we know, were born from the CG
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 03 December 2009 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 December 2009 - 05:50 AM, said:

Spoiler

I don't know. I think that the "things were born and things were released" refers to (MoI spoiler)
Spoiler
which, as we know, were born from the CG

Yea I know about that part, but it seems to me that the quote implies more than just them. Plus they were born of his flesh, the quote seems to imply that it was the fall and sundering that created/released these things. And since it seems apparent that the stormriders aren't of this world and popped up in that area, it made sense that they were them.
Actually, I didn't.

It was ever thus.

#12 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

born yes, but the released could very well refer to the stormriders. who knows how the fall of the CG weakened the fabric between the warrens, the stormriders could have spilled into the world somehow
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#13 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

I've just finished NoK - the bit about the Stormrider asking why they are being killed implies they are fighting back - is this clarified in RoTCG?

#14 User is offline   geNESis 

• Jumbo Rice Krispies Square

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Not to any satisfactory conclusion as far as a can discern, though I've only read it twice.

Spoiler

#15 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I know it's been said already, but I always figured the Stormriders were just demons from Omtose Phellack. From what I remember, they have stated connections to the Jaghut, they also love to use Ice...and I can't think of any other reasons, really, but based off this evidence it just seemed the most likely answer, to me.

#16 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I must admit I didn't like the stormriders much when I read about them in RoTCG (which I read before NoK). To me they didn't seem to fit.. I mean, the Malazan world is full of alien entities, but the stormriders feel alien in a different way.. as if, say, the Silver Surfer showed up.

In NoK we learn that they 'radiate cold'. But you can't radiate cold. Cold doesn't exist (except in Discworld), there's only absence of heat. So, to "radiate" cold you would instead suck heat from the environment (or someone standing close). So, where do those bodies suck the heat _to_? With Omtose Phellack one can imagine that the ice is created by transferring heat en masse to somewhere else (somewhere large). But, unless the not-big bodies of the riders are portals to some black hole for heat it doesn't make sense for them to 'radiate cold'.

And what do the stormriders _do_? Except riding, I mean. Is there a society, a civilization? A lone Jaghut in a tower makes immensely more sense than a bunch of ice surfers.
I feel the storm riders concept to be a bit of a stretch really. But we'll see how it turns out, I expect there'll be more later.

This post has been edited by Thel Akai: 22 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

#17 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Are you trying to apply physics to magic?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#18 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostGothos, on 22 October 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

Are you trying to apply physics to magic?

Yes. Why not? There are always rules, magic or not. You can have a lot of magic and still observe general rules. Including physics. Magic in the SE/ICE world is mostly manifested as lots of energy, or manipulation of energy. The Stormrider quote is the only place I've seen something literally 'radiating cold', which you can't do, unless you create a world where every opposite explicitly exist (as in the beforementioned Discworld).

But my main problem with the Stormriders is, as far as they've so far been described, that they to me seems misfit in the universe of the books.

#19 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

There hasn't really been much info about them so far. Stonewielder apparently delves deeper into the subject. Notice how little we could've guessed about the K'Chain Che'malle and Forkrul Assail based on, say, GotM/DG/MoI.
They rub my interest in an interesting way as well, but I've too little to even speculate.

Also, if you want an odd question... How do the memories and personality of a shapeshifter persist through shapechanging the brain?

Besides... 'radiating cold' might just be an ill-chosen combination of words. A layman might say that liquid nitrogen radiates cold much like flame radiates heat, physical mechanics nothwithstanding.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#20 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

View PostGothos, on 22 October 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

Also, if you want an odd question... How do the memories and personality of a shapeshifter persist through shapechanging the brain?
Ah, here's where we have a genuine enormous difference between our universe and that one.. although one reflecting a myth so very popular in our own religions and whatnot: That thinking is actually done in a soul, and a physical brain can at the most degrade the thinking, but otherwise not affect it (as in: sick or dying brain, thinking becomes befuddled, until you die, then the soul, maybe manifested as a ghost, can stand back and think clearly again).

Besides... 'radiating cold' might just be an ill-chosen combination of words. A layman might say that liquid nitrogen radiates cold much like flame radiates heat, physical mechanics nothwithstanding.
Yes. I think there are room for improvements in ICE's writing, and I'm sure it _will_ improve. (What I mean is: A layman (as in ourselves) can imagine that something might radiate cold, including liquid nitrogen, but that's mostly because we haven't actually experienced it in practice. I've been standing centimeters from a glacier wall, and it doesn't radiate cold.. as you get very very close your skin feels cold because it's losing heat by heating the ice. (What's cold is the whole environment, so after a while you'll feel cold too, in general.) So, what I mean is that even though a reader may imagine that things are so-and-so, the writer should try to get things right, as they _really are_, not necessarily what an uninformed reader might believe.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users