Malazan Empire: An oldie but a goodie - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An oldie but a goodie a must-have for any serious Erikson fan!

#1 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Ha!

No excuses for not picking up this one, check out the prices:

amazon.com

amazon.co.uk

amazon.ca

In a decade or two this will be worth a mint! You heard it here first :(

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Wow, you really can't argue with that price :(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

Due to be re-released next year - Amazon UK
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Do want!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

So, a good book? I've only read his fantasy and this one sounds a lot like Steven King's short story The Body (movie Stand By Me).
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#6 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

I have the book in my hands. Since the new one was going to have an abysmal cover I simply went to amazon.co.uk and ordered an used copy of the old one for 1 cent.

It's not even a short book, 360 pages but they are packed with text. The beginning is reminiscent of MoI, but what impresses me is that this book was published one year before GotM and it seems to me written even better than usual.

Memory begins with a stirring. Spring had arrived. There was life in the air, in the wind that turned the cold into currents of muddy warmth. And life in the ground as well - a loosening of the earth and its secrets, a rustling of spirits and the awakening of the dead.

Like remembrance itself, it was a time when things rose to the surface. Forces pushed up from the tomb of wintry darkness, shattering the river's ice and spreading the fissures wide. Sunlight seeped down, softening the river bottom's gelid grip. And things were let go.

What I look on now, after all these years, is a place of myth. For this was a place that told us that there was more than just one world.

#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#7 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

View PostAbalieno, on 27 September 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

I have the book in my hands. Since the new one was going to have an abysmal cover I simply went to amazon.co.uk and ordered an used copy of the old one for 1 cent.

There are differences between the old and the new edition. Erikson wrote in Tor.com:

As mentioned by another correspondant above, the key for the author is whether enough other stuff is in the work to still ensure that the reader is satisfied. Editors will always err on the other side of that,and it's this balance that defines a good relationship between editor and writer (which doesn't always exist -- I know I battled with an editor over my first novel, This River Awakens, and on some fronts I lost that battle -- which is why the re-release of that novel will see my fixing it and thus bringing it closer to its original, un-surrendered state. And I use the [nonexistent] term 'un-surrendered' quite deliberately here, because I felt that in losing those battles I surrendered some of the sanctity of that novel, and that it suffered for it).

#8 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Even better, I'll have fun spotting the differences.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#9 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Tor will publish the US edition in July 2013:

http://www.amazon.co...49288169&sr=1-1

#10 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

US cover art:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Pre-ordering it now. The TOR cover is definitely a lot nicer to look at than the Bantam one!

#12 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

US mass-market paperback cover:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jussi: 03 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

#13 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Amazon shows a July 1st publication date. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#14 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

This book was really excellent. Some similarities to the movie Mud if you've seen that.

#15 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

I read the re-release and recommend it. Though not for the faint of heart - there's all kinds of abuse, graphically described, victims including children and animals. Still, the characters are surprisingly sympathetic, all very human and deep. Even the girls and women, which is depressingly uncommon in this type of book (a coming of age novel.)

Also, a thing that surprised me after Steve's fantasy books, to me (a european) the book's atmosphere felt surprisingly 'American' - though I'm sure that should be 'Canadian'; I guess I can't tell the difference. In that way it reminded me of Stephen King's better stories, and also in how physical everything was, all the stink and the pain and the sensuality of things. (And the cruel, lost children, useless or dangerous parents, the small town, the corpse.) Erikson is obviously a much better writer though, especially considering this is his first novel. There is such theme, layers of meaning, characterization and atmosphere. And in the end I really hoped all the (surviving) characters were going to be ok. The only thing I can say against it: some passages were quite nauseating, even remembered. So I can imagine this book isn't for everyone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users