• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Felisin, Tavore, Paran Situation Request for Spoiler's

#1 Guest_Kityhawk_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

I've been really liking the Malazan Book of the Fallen and have just read House of Chains, but was a little disappointed by the ending. This was mainly due to Felisin being killed off as she was one of my favourite characters, and although it was kind of obvious she was going to die the whole buisiness between her and Tavore did seem a bit anti-climatic, as I at least thought there would be some kind of confrontation between them (ie: Tavore finding out she was the Sha'ik or an interesting battle). So now I was just wondering what other people thought about that and what they think of Felisin compared with Tavore? I personally thought Felisin was one of the most well developed chracters in the series, but Tavore is unfathomable to me at the moment. In Gardens she seemed quite haughty and cold, but in House of Chain's she seemed almost stripped of all emotion whatsoever, not unlike Echo at the start of Dollhouse. I didn't really understand why that was. I'm not meaning to offend any supporters Tavore might have, and bear in mind I have only read up to House of Chains, but do other people agree with that or am I just plain wrong? Does she develope more in the other books?

Also I know this may seem a Cardinal Sin among some but I would very much welcome certain spoilers regarding to Tavore in the following books such as when does find out she killed Felsin? What are the consequences of that? And does Paran ever find out?

I know I should really just read the books but I feel like I have to know these few things first because I don't want to have to plough through another six books just to find out the whole business has just been swept under the carpet. And I really want Felisin's character to have counted for something and not just have been one massive red herring.

Edited out the spoiler in the title~Bubba

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:05 AM

Spoiler
I think the the anti-climax at the end of House of Chains was a literary device on SE's part. The tragedy that Tavore slew the very person she was attempting to save, and he was demonstrating that events do not always live up to their expectations. Many people don't think that made for a good conclusion, but ah well. As to you not liking her death and the circumstances of it, well that's another literary device on his part. People die useless deaths, and are forgotten. It's a part of life, and a part of this series actually. It's very maudlin, but that's part of what makes this series so great. We don't always get a happy or even a bittersweet resolution. Life moves on, regardless of our feelings about it.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hetan: 18 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

It was inevitable that Felisin died, I reckon. What place would she have after the rebellion's end? Maybe the CG would recruit her, but I don't think so.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

I don't think there really are pointless any storylines, or red herrings as you referred to it as, in this series. The biggest attraction to me for the series is the depth of this world that SE and ICE created. Yea, some of the things that happen don't seem to directly affect the main storylines of a given book, but for the most part they are setting something up for a book or two down the road. And sometimes they are just interesting sidestories in the Malazan world. But the fact that there are so many characters, and the world itself is so well developed, those sidestories are interesting to me. Sometimes on a first read it bothers me that I was expecting a convergence that never happened, but after that initial disappointment I can usually enjoy them.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

i got the feeling that tavore recognized felisin in the the end and therefore knows that she killed felisin. it would explain the whole, she never asks about felisin ever again throughout the whole series question.
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#6 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

That's explained by her not saying or asking about anything, ever...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7 Guest_Kityhawk_*

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

View PostBliss, on 18 October 2009 - 08:36 AM, said:

i got the feeling that tavore recognized felisin in the the end and therefore knows that she killed felisin. it would explain the whole, she never asks about felisin ever again throughout the whole series question.

Thanks for you posts.

I've heard people say that before but I can't see the evidence for that myself apart from that she doesn't say anything. And if that is true then Lostra and Pearl's big secret just becomes completely redundant doesn't it? WHAT!? I would have thought the only reason for having that was that it was going to get revealed at some later date?

I was afraid of this.

People have said about the anti-climax ending being one of SE's literary devices. Yes ok I can kind of see that but it doesn't make the ending any less unsatisfactory to me. I found the same problem when reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law. It's just my opinion but anit-climax endings really do not work. It's like being amazed by some dazling magic trick only to find out at the end that the guy just did it with CGI.

Do people think Tavore will die at the end. If the whole issue with her and Felisin is just forgotten about can I at least be served a portion of petty vengence?? I know I'm not like to get it and I usually hate things in books when character's meet their "just deserts". But she killed my favourite character (even if it may have been unknowlingly), I know it's stupid but I kinda take that personally.

This post has been edited by Kityhawk: 18 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

View PostKityhawk, on 18 October 2009 - 10:33 AM, said:

Thanks for you posts.

I've heard people say that before but I can't see the evidence for that myself apart from that she doesn't say anything. And if that is true then Lostra and Pearl's big secret just becomes completely redundant doesn't it? WHAT!? I would have thought the only reason for having that was that it was going to get revealed at some later date?

I was afraid of this.

People have said about the anti-climax ending being one of SE's literary devices. Yes ok I can kind of see that but it doesn't make the ending any less unsatisfactory to me. I found the same problem when reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law. It's just my opinion but anit-climax endings really do not work. It's like being amazed by some dazling magic trick only to find out at the end that the guy just did it with CGI.

Do people think Tavore will die at the end. If the whole issue with her and Felisin is just forgotten about can I at least be served a portion of petty vengence?? I know I'm not like to get it and I usually hate things in books when character's meet their "just deserts". But she my favourite character, I know it's stupid but I kinda take that personally.

Well, it's a testament to SE that he got you to care so much. However, the point of a secret is not to reveal it later, but to never tell someone. And the fact that she either doesn't know or doesn't ask doesn't make the secret redundant. It just reinforces the tragedy that she will never find out, and keeps her from breaking down emotionally. She does have to lead an army, after all, and she's already fragile enough emotionally, no need to add fuel to the fire.

#9 Guest_Kityhawk_*

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

View PostMappo, on 18 October 2009 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostKityhawk, on 18 October 2009 - 10:33 AM, said:

Thanks for you posts.

I was afraid of this.

Do people think Tavore will die at the end. If the whole issue with her and Felisin is just forgotten about can I at least be served a portion of petty vengence?? I know I'm not like to get it and I usually hate things in books when character's meet their "just deserts". But she my favourite character, I know it's stupid but I kinda take that personally.

Well, it's a testament to SE that he got you to care so much. However, the point of a secret is not to reveal it later, but to never tell someone. And the fact that she either doesn't know or doesn't ask doesn't make the secret redundant. It just reinforces the tragedy that she will never find out, and keeps her from breaking down emotionally. She does have to lead an army, after all, and she's already fragile enough emotionally, no need to add fuel to the fire.

You make some good points, and you obviously know a lot more about the series than me. It's just that I've read a lot of really good books where characters have died tragically such as Song of Ice and Fire, Anna Kerinina, Labyrinth, His Dark Materials, 1984 (Ok Winston didn't die but he was probably soon going to, and his soul was completely destroyed). It's just that I've never been so strongly affected by the death of a character and I know it seems stupid and I can't explain it. It just hit a nerve or something, especially as every other character in the book seemed to me to have either betrayed or turned their back on Felisin. I know she wasn't an entirely likeable character at times but she just seems to me to have been manipulated and abused by nearly everyone she meets in Deadhouse and House of Chains without a single moment of respite.

Sorry I know I must sound like a soft touch but I've never experienced that level of emotion over a book before. I know SE is trying to show a gritty sense of reality where nothing goes according to plan and there are no happy endings etc. But after I finished House I just ended up thinking that it would have probably been best for Felisin if she'd just slashed her wrists at the beginning of Deadhouse.

And the last three books I read including House of Chains have all had some of my favourite characters die tragically at the end. I'm now seriously considering whether or not to continue the series because I'm not sure how much more despair I can take. And I know it's petty and pathetic but I don't want to get through to the end of the series just to find out the Tavore becomes the Empress or something like that because I would be furious and think I'm always going to hate her now no matter what she does. I think Steven Erikson is a great wirter but right now I feel as if he's ripped my heart out and stomped on it. I'm not sure right now if I'm willing to let him do it all over again.

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Consider that while Tavore may or may not know that she killed Felisin (I'm voting that she didn't), Ganoes certainly doesn't know.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 Guest_Kityhawk_*

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 18 October 2009 - 01:00 PM, said:

Consider that while Tavore may or may not know that she killed Felisin (I'm voting that she didn't), Ganoes certainly doesn't know.

Don't quite know what you mean by that Illuyankas. Only having read up to House of Chains I'd say she probably doesn't know. That doesn't mean I can like her any more, though. She was still the one mostly responsible for Felisin's death, by sending her to the mine's and orchestrating her escape.

And of course Ganoes doesn't know about any of it. I wish he did.

#12 User is offline   Eispeis 

• Trygalle Trade Guild Route Planner

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

View PostKityhawk, on 18 October 2009 - 12:34 PM, said:

[I think Steven Erikson is a great wirter but right now I feel as if he's ripped my heart out and stomped on it. I'm not sure right now if I'm willing to let him do it all over again.

If you've read up until HoC you've experienced several emotional deaths allready, but I'm afraid there's more in store for you.

Off the top of my head I remember 5 additional deaths as far as I've read (halfway through TtH) which left me rattled or emotionally drained.

I love the series for it, and as has been pointed out several times before on these forums. The series is called The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

The most shocked I've ever been in the series is at the end of The Bone Hunters. It was not about a death, but without going into detail I was actually furious with Erikson. I still rate this as a good thing as it keeps me emotionally involved in the series.

I understand that different people's emotions are moved by different fates, but Felisin ranks at the bottom of major deaths as far as I'm concerned. It may be because it was spoiled for me before I actually reached the place, but I seriously disliked Felisin and her entire storyline.

Wiskeyjack, Itkovian and Coltaine were far worse, and there are more to come I'm afraid :p

This post has been edited by Eispeis: 18 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Tavore may have simply accepted Pearl's report that Felisin died a merciful death after escaping the mines, but the series is not over yet. No one on these forums can say with certainty what will happen, so maybe Tavore will learn the truth. Pearl and Lostara know the exact truth - that Sha'ik was Felisin - but there are other characters such as Leoman, Karsa, Felisin Younger, Scillara, Korbolo Dom, L'oric, Corabb and more who know enough to piece together the mystery themselves. Additionally Heboric and {{spoiler see below}} know exactly the truth, like Pearl and Lostara.
Spoiler

Don't think that this issue will just be forogtten. The Malazan origin of the re-birthed Sha'ik is an issue in tBH for the remaining forces of the Apocalypse and its commanders. There's an event with Paran possibly figuring out the truth of things (also in tBH), and keeping secrets from Tavore will be a major part of the development of Lostara Yil later on.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 Guest_Kityhawk_*

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:47 PM

View PostD, on 18 October 2009 - 06:21 PM, said:

Tavore may have simply accepted Pearl's report that Felisin died a merciful death after escaping the mines, but the series is not over yet. No one on these forums can say with certainty what will happen, so maybe Tavore will learn the truth. Pearl and Lostara know the exact truth - that Sha'ik was Felisin - but there are other characters such as Leoman, Karsa, Felisin Younger, Scillara, Korbolo Dom, L'oric, Corabb and more who know enough to piece together the mystery themselves. Additionally Heboric and {{spoiler see below}} know exactly the truth, like Pearl and Lostara.
Spoiler

Don't think that this issue will just be forogtten. The Malazan origin of the re-birthed Sha'ik is an issue in tBH for the remaining forces of the Apocalypse and its commanders. There's an event with Paran possibly figuring out the truth of things (also in tBH), and keeping secrets from Tavore will be a major part of the development of Lostara Yil later on.

Thanks D'rek I'm glad someone thinks so. I also know like other people have said, that there's so much more going on in the series and I know I'm not even halfway through it. I know a lot of people don't like Felisin and find Whiskeyjack's and Coltaine's death's more tragic. I did not really see that as the case though. I was saddened by Coltaine's and his army's death but I took hope from the fact the he died saving thousands of refugees, and I know that he was betrayed and let down by that idiot Fist in Aren but the sentiment remains, and anyway he was reborn. Likewise I felt Whiskeyjack's death was tragic too but he did die saving Silverfox (whether that was a good thing only time will tell) and he also did have some moments of pleasure in his life with the Bridgeburners and that Tiste Andii woman (sorry her name escapes me). I guess my point is that compared with Felisin both Coltaine and Whiskyjack experienced moments of life worth living and hope. Whereas with Felisin there was a total lack of hope of joy throughout her life (within the timespan of the books). I just saw her as this vulnerable, abused, scared kid in a situation not of her making. A wretch, who....

"....doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust from whence he sprung,
Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung." -- Sir Walter Scott

Coltaine and Whiskeyjack were another two of my favourite characters but it's not as though you can say that that is also true for them. I guess my real problem is that I'm an optimist.

#15 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

Personally I hated Felisin and I'm glad that Tavore is either ignorant of or is hiding her knowledge of the fact she killed her sister. Felisin treated everybody who tried to help her like crap and her desire for vengeance was pure lunacy. Sure she was under Shai'k's influence for a while there but even after discovering that her sister was actually looking out for her and her family she still wanted to hurt her. The fact that most of her suffering was self inflicted just makes it worse.

#16 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

I can understand why people would be maybe a bit disapointed in the outcome of the Tavore, Felisin plotline. From book two Deadhouse Gates it was built up as though there could be a major confrontation between the two and this was continued in House of Chains. However, i found the climax suitable. A death with a whimper and not a bang. And as Mr. Erikson has said before, he likes to defy expectations

#17 Guest_Kityhawk_*

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostBen Adephon Delat, on 19 October 2009 - 03:00 PM, said:

Personally I hated Felisin and I'm glad that Tavore is either ignorant of or is hiding her knowledge of the fact she killed her sister. Felisin treated everybody who tried to help her like crap and her desire for vengeance was pure lunacy. Sure she was under Shai'k's influence for a while there but even after discovering that her sister was actually looking out for her and her family she still wanted to hurt her. The fact that most of her suffering was self inflicted just makes it worse.

She did treat people like crap and she wasn't very likeable at times but that's why I found her so interesting because she was a grey area, and she was just a kid. I'd say in hindsight she was pretty much doomed from the minute Beneth got his claws into her at the mines, and being with him screwed her up so much that that was why she hurt people. But she did try to help people as well such as Heboric when they were at the mines and Felisin Younger in HoC. As far as people helping her goes, the only ones I can think of are Heboric and Baudin but did they really help her that much?? Yes they befriended her but, for example when they escape from the mines they only take her with them because she found out about their escape plan and they do say they were going to leave her there. I can actually kinda empathise with her desire for revenge against her sister however misguided it may have been because she would blame her for all the horrible things that's happened to her (which she was partly responsible for), and yes she was under the wirlwind goddess's influence through much of that "quest"/pursuit of vengence.

"The fact that most of her suffering was self inflicted just makes it worse" -------Erm well you're gonna have to help me out on that one because I competely disagree with that. I can't recall a single instance where her suffering was self inflicted. I suppose you might argue that she choose to be Beneth's whore at the mines but it did say that he would have just forced her to be like that anyway. And I suppose you could argue she chose to be the Sha'ik but if the goddess chose her did she really have a choice? And even if she did she could just been trying to survive, as she and Heboric were wandering around in the desert with no food or water and for all she knew Leoman and Toblakai would kill them. I guess it's possible there are other instances I can't recall where she inflicted suffering on herself but I honestly can't think of any.

#18 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

With regards it being self inflicted here's the way I see it Baudin was willing to complete his mission and extract her from the mines but Felisin's actions made it seem to him as if she was not worth saving. Was it Baudin's place to make such a judgement? I say no but it seemed to me that Felisin had created a prison in her mind to complement the prison she was in and what use would there be saving her when she was like that. Are the wounds truly self inflicted no not particularly she did what she thought she had to to survive but the fact that she had an alternative despite her seeming ignorance of it makes her actions less of a necessity and thus more reprehensible to me at least.

#19 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

it was self inflicted in that so many people reached out to her to try and help her and she constantly turned them down because she either didnt trust them or thought they were idiots, i mean everyone from baudin, heboric, kulp, stormy and gesler, leoman and toblakai and even l'oric to an extent. they all tried to help her in some way or at least tried to make her situation better for her and she refused to accept help from any of them. that was how it was self-inflicted.
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

View PostBen Adephon Delat, on 19 October 2009 - 09:31 PM, said:

but it seemed to me that Felisin had created a prison in her mind to complement the prison she was in and what use would there be saving her when she was like that. Are the wounds truly self inflicted no not particularly she did what she thought she had to to survive but the fact that she had an alternative despite her seeming ignorance of it makes her actions less of a necessity and thus more reprehensible to me at least.

View PostBliss, on 19 October 2009 - 09:45 PM, said:

it was self inflicted in that so many people reached out to her to try and help her and she constantly turned them down because she either didnt trust them or thought they were idiots, i mean everyone from baudin, heboric, kulp, stormy and gesler, leoman and toblakai and even l'oric to an extent. they all tried to help her in some way or at least tried to make her situation better for her and she refused to accept help from any of them. that was how it was self-inflicted.

The reactions of people to traumatic events is varied. I'd say that the near total destruction of your family and life, going to prison, seeing people savagely murdered before your eyes, surviving a riot, crossing a sea on a prison ship, being the whore of several dozen people, being forcibly used, sliding into drugs both as a coping mechanism and because the pimps are encouraging addiction and docility, barely surviving a walk through a hellish desert, being driven by an obsessed goddess with little regard for mortal affairs, landing in a camp full of murderers and worse and having basically no time to relax or a role model/advisor you can trust would mess anyone up - much less a 16 year old girl.

The "prison of the mind" stuff pops up a lot in battered women and children, as well as some veterans of war. Furthermore, all the help she got was sporadic, not always freely given and everyone was busy with their own agendas.

I'm not saying this exculpates Felisin from any blame, but that situation is very, very tough and I don't blame her for anything other than being a confused, scared young woman who stubbornly avoided consultation with the wiser people around her.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users