Malazan Empire: Lux Aeterna vs O Fortuna - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lux Aeterna vs O Fortuna

Poll: Lux Aeterna vs O Fortuna (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. O Fortuna (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Luz Aeterna (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

Fair chance you've heard both of these songs as part of movie trailers or in commericals and done to death. If not, here are two modern masterpieces you probably need to hear. One made only about a decade ago, the other one in 1937.

Carl Orf's - O Fortuna

Clint Mansel's - Lux Aeterna

This post has been edited by Mushroom: 11 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:58 AM

O Fortuna, AKA Apopcalypse music, is from Carmina Burana and fucking awesome, and Lux Aerterna AKA Requiem for a Dream is almost as good.

Edit: It's kind of weird how this music can be both creepy/doomish and still be relaxing in some way.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 11 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

Oh,and if anyones interested hear is the full version where O Fortuna comes from;
Carl Orff: Carmina Burana

It is the University of California Orchestra performing it.

#4 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

funny thing, a mate of mine first heard o fortuna in one of the Omen movies, so he insists its creepy.

I first heard it in Excalibur, when the knights and arthur are riding to the final battle while the land
recovers from the drought and famine that has been happening, so I always think of it as being a very upbeat piece.
meh. Link was dead :(

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

Both are equally bombastic. Depends on the context I guess.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Of the two... O Fortuna! wins. I quite like Carmina Burana but I prefer the rowdy, drunken stuff from the In Taberna sequence later on in the piece to the bombast of the beginning...

For ultimate bombast there's the truly extraordinary Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem, which beats both of them into a cocked hat, if you ask me...

And the Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem isn't too shabby either...

There always Mars: The Bringer of War from Holst's Planet Suite. If you ever get a chance to see this played live, do so. I saw the Halle Orchestra performing this a few years ago. It was an amazing experience...

They also played William Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, which is a fairly mental piece of itself; it needs a full orchestra, a full choir and a full brass band to perform it. You'll be getting into Mahler territory before you see bigger forces needed to play a piece; iirc one of his symphonies specifies two full orchestras, at least, to play it and is often performed with four!

And yes, I'm rather fond of classical music... Just don't get me started on opera; we'll be here all day... :)

[edit - found a better version of the Verdi; with Herbert von Karajan conducting, no less... I'm such a geek :)]

Ooh! Thought of another one; "CAUGHT!" from Philip Glass soundtrack to the movie Powaqqatsi... As a musician friend of mine says; he really likes his arpeggios... Couldn't find it on YouTube though. Pruitt Igoe from the soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi is pretty cool too; it starts off slow and then bang!...

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 12 October 2009 - 01:26 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

Having never seen 'Requiem for a Dream', I can only judge 'Lux Aeterna' on how it sounds. And how it sounds is like Karl Jenkins on a bad day. Sorry, but there's no contest -- 'O Fortuna' is one of the masterpieces of the classical choral repertoire for a reason, it is simply astonishingly good. Rhythmically inventive, harmonically complex, with a momentum that is irresistible. There are few works which can rival, let alone surpass it.

The ones mentioned above by Stone Monkey are a few. (Especially the Walton -- good call there, especially the chorus 'In Babylon Belshazzar The King' from Belshazzar's Feast.)

Some others I would suggest are:

Benjamin Britten's Dies Irae from the War Requiem
Mozart's Confutatis from the Requiem
Arthur Bliss's Song of the Reapers from 'Lie Strewn The White Flocks'
Holst's Folly's Song from the Choral Symphony
Brahms's Denn Wir Haben Hie Keine Bleibende Stadt from the Requiem

Non-choral pieces might include Beethoven's Symphony No.9 Scherzo, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 Scherzo, and of course, Bizet's Carmen Prelude :) ()
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

I reverse votes. After having listened to both a couple of times tonight I tie my love of O Fortuna into movie love, whereas my love of Lux Aeterna is based on sheer composition. Both are fantastic, Lux's dynamics is the key for me. Absolutely fantastic.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Sephiroths fight music wins!

#10 User is offline   rasha 

• Recruit

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

After having listened to both a couple of times tonight I tie my love of O Fortuna into movie love, whereas my love of Lux Aeterna is based on sheer composition. Both are fantastic, Lux's dynamics is the key for me.
NOOR

#11 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

Is more than six years a new record for a thread necro?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#12 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 February 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Is more than six years a new record for a thread necro?

Pretty sure Gust has that beat somewhere. maybe a record in this subforum though
meh. Link was dead :(

#13 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:12 AM

I love necros like this! Shows up all the coll stuff that was going on before I joined!

I prefer O Fortuna myself, but I also really like Era's The Mass. In fact that entire album is awesome.

#14 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Of course, when it comes to trailer music, the real answer is Heart of Courage by Two Steps from Hell.

Or possibly Tristan, also by Two Steps From Hell.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Was Mushroom banned for this very thread? Seems overly provocative.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

I think it was the crazy Muslim joke he posted in the Inn.

Allthough I think I recall him coming back later on.

#17 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

One, or the pair, of the Dies Irae and Tuba Mirum from Verdi's Requiem beat both of these into a bloody, quivering pulp imo
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 October 2009 - 09:08 AM, said:

.... After having listened to both a couple of times tonight I tie my love of O Fortuna into movie love, whereas my love of Lux Aeterna is based on sheer composition. Both are fantastic, Lux's dynamics is the key for me. Absolutely fantastic.

View Postrasha, on 25 February 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

After having listened to both a couple of times tonight I tie my love of O Fortuna into movie love, whereas my love of Lux Aeterna is based on sheer composition. Both are fantastic, Lux's dynamics is the key for me.

What in the fuck?

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 26 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Bot alert.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

Maybe you just have a really ardent fan base, HD.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users