• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Photography

#121 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 22 October 2009 - 02:37 PM, said:

@ Tiste - I know what you mean about Photoshop. It can be a major pain in the @ss to get it to work right without spending ages at times. As an amateur wildlife photographer, i have an aversion to manipulating my images in any way, so i try to use photoshop as little as possible. As a result i'm not really that skilled with it. And landscape images are one of the trickiest things to get right, since there can be so many conflicting elements, so any advice i give is from experience with my own struggles at getting good landscape shots.

Yeah, I've seen some of the crazy stuff that can be done, and it makes me think that I don't know what to believe in photography any more!! :p My gf says that she won't heavily manipulate imagery, but try and get light settings and colours right etc. in order to make the picture fuller.

With your landscape shot that i manipulated, you can see though how a bit of work can really brighten the image. The problem is that there is too great of a range between the brightest part and the darkest part of the image, which is why the foreground looked dark, while the sky looked washed out. Traditionally, a landscape photographer would have used a graduated filter to balance the light difference between the upper and lower halves of the image (a grad filter is basically a piece of glass which is half clear/half darkened glass which goes in front of your lens). The advantage of digital photography is that you don't need the grad filter, but can either do some fancy photoshop work on your single image, or combine multiple images to get a better dynamic range (i'm still not any good with combining images).
Yeah I asked her about that picture she said she did nothing to it really except change the light settings a bit - it was for Facebook and nothing else so there wasn't much point in changing anything too drastically...

Hope this doesn't sound too preachy. That location looks like it's great for getting nice landscape shots, especially with those interesting cloud formations coming up over the headland. Love that last image too of your brother jumping. I remember you posting a couple of those "big jump" images before.

Hope your girlfriend enjoys the wedding photography course. That's a tough gig. I've done a couple of weddings for friends (under duress!) and they were the most nerve wracking experiences of my life. But since she's already doing portrait stuff I'm sure she'll be fine.

Heh. Thanks for your comments, like I said I don't understand half of it but I'm learning. And she hated doing weddings before - loads of people in the church ask her to do their wedding, assuming it is fairly easy, and expect her to do it for free (though she does get a nice thank you card...) This course has taught her loads and also not to do it for free!! She is good enough to do it, but the amount of effort you need to put in is ridiculous (I have been the one she moans to when she has tons of editing to do!!) :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#122 User is offline   Pallol One Eye 

• War Mule
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Guitar, Fine Wines

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Here are some Pic's i took with my Canan A540 Powershot. I've reduced the size from about 1.5-2.0MB down to 150-200KB.

First one are the spiders on my garage. Perspective is key in this one. They really arent that big. The others are the beach ion Ogunquit Maine. The Connecticut river in Flood and an Owl in a tree in Florida. I think they lose somne clarity when down sizing. The Owl one in particular which was really cropped and pixelated before downsizing.

I must get a digital SLR one day

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Pallol One Eye: 27 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

#123 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

Here's some that I didn't think really fitted in any specific category...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Termite mound in the Aussie Outback:

Posted Image

Ice sculpture in Brisbane. I'm really happy with how the light was captured in the ice:

Posted Image

Incense candles in a temple in Hong Kong, again, really happy with the lighting effect:

Posted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#124 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Took this at work. hada scale it down to make it upload friendly (damned 2meg limit!)
Taken with my phone just, but it 8mp, so usuallt gives me good enoguh photos, just thought this looked pretty cool

Attached File  DSC00119.jpg (149.47K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Macros: 14 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

#125 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Ice sculpture in Brisbane. I'm really happy with how the light was captured in the ice:

Posted Image

I remember that! We had fun trying to get through the hordes of Asian tourists just so you could get close enough for an unobstructed shot.

Here is one I took on my trip from Albury to Darwin last year. It is from an overpass across the Indian-Pacific rail line, looking east. I'm about 10m up.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  030.JPG (35.33K)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 28 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#126 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

Oh yes, it was a nightmare!!
Is that trainline the same one as this trainline?
Attached File  RIMG0518.JPG (92.3K)

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#127 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

This really a photoshop question, but it's related to photography...

Can anyone give a me a few tips on cropping images? When I want to crop an image, for example a picture that's 3888pixels by 2520, I set the crop tool on photoshop to this size and then use it to outline and crop out the area I want.

I've got a feeling that this isn't the right way to go about it though, as I'm probably ending up with an image with the same number of pixels as the original, but as it's been cropped the resolution will be different - ie not as sharp.

I'm just trying to get my head round the whole relationship between image size and resolution. I just want to know the best way to crop an area out of a photo, while keeping the sharpness of the original, or as close as I can get. I'm shooting in RAW now (experimenting with it anyway) which gives me sharper shots; I don't want to waste that by sloppy resizing.

Any tips?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#128 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hey there Traveller, there are several ways you can go about resizing, but the crop tool is one of the handiest.

A quick question would be what you hope to do with the final images?

If you simply want to pass these images on to your friends via email, or display them on a digital screen or projector, then simply choose an appropriate size in terms of pixels (since most of these will default at 72 ppi). For example 600px by 400px, or 1024px by 768px, which used to be the standard resolution on a digital projector.
ppi = pixels per inch
72ppi is the standard resolution for viewing on a screen
300ppi is the norm for photo quality print.

If you put in figures into the height and width dimensions in the crop toolbar (set to pixels), and leave the resolution box clear, the crop tool will automatically reduce the image down to this size. You can then save this as a preset for future cropping as well.

If you are cropping an image for printing, there are a couple of ways to do it. You can choose to crop the image to one of the familiar ratios, such as 4in x 3in, 8in x10in or use the crop tool in a more freeform manner by leaving all fields blank. Once you have cropped the image to your liking, you can then go to the menu item, IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE, and there you'll see the exact dimensions of your image. You can play around with the resolution settings here, and this will let you see how big your image will print.

If you are only doing a small print from you original image and you're not aggressively cropping then, it may be easiest to use one of photoshop's crop presets like, 7in x 5in at 300ppi.
Using the dimensions you mention (3888 x 2520) you would be able to get an 8x12inch print without any trouble.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

You shouldn't apply any sharpening to your images until after you done any cropping or resizing.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#129 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for that. I really just crop to improve composition - and want to do it without losing sharpness and detail.

Mostly I resize for printing purposes, I guess I'll just have to see which way gets the best results. I've just got a new camera - it takes images up to 5184 x 3456 pixels!

It is just brilliant, the detail in the first pics I've taken is incredible compared to my other dslr.

I'll start posting some here soon hopefully.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#130 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Attached File  Duck5.jpg (62.58K)

#131 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

I'm mainly a graphic design, but I'm also pretty into photography. Here are some of my photos:

This first one was a conceptual piece, with the text and post-editing done in Photoshop:
Posted Image

This was an HDR shot done at night:
Posted Image

And this was an HDR shot done at the local beach:
Posted Image

Sorry for the small size of the rest of these. They had to be this small for a portfolio project I was doing. I have the fullsize versions but they're all saved as RAW files and I'm too lazy to resave all of them just now :)

Attached File  Statue_DanBerkowitz.jpg (429.6K)
Attached File  Bus_DanBerkowitz.jpg (313.67K)
Attached File  Butterfly_DanBerkowitz.jpg (394.95K)
Attached File  Cat_DanBerkowitz.jpg (440.25K)
Attached File  Falling_DanBerkowitz.jpg (480.12K)
Attached File  Fence_DanBerkowitz.jpg (316.13K)
Attached File  House_DanBerkowitz.jpg (338.11K)
Attached File  Lady_DanBerkowitz.jpg (244.97K)
Attached File  Manhole_DanBerkowitz.jpg (398.9K)

#132 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Some more pics from Japan. The one of Takeda Shingen is one of the most recent. Not an ideal background or shot, but it's a pretty famous actor and I managed to get nice and close.

Attached File(s)

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#133 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Attached File  IMG_1303c.jpg (68.6K)

Attached File  IMG_1102d.jpg (245.37K)

Took this one down the road last week - used a soft grad ND filter over the sky to get the exposure right.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 07 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

#134 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I might contribute a bit to this thread in the near future, however the best i can get my hands on right now is my shitty camera on my shitty ancient phone, so it would feel like desecration.
Maybe I can steal father's camera Zenit or Minolta.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#135 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Taken at one of our Christmas parties a few years back...I've saved it as I feel it just sums up "Christmas Parties"

Attached File  the best.JPG (65.96K)

#136 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Few more, firstly Pen-y-ghent (Yorkshire):

Attached File  22052010020.JPG (1.11MB)

and my son (about a year ago):

Attached File  1st to the 3th july 2008 005.jpg (588.07K)

lastly my daughter (about 3 years ago though..lol..and I've cheated, this was a professionally done photo):

Attached File  revamp 1.JPG (75.42K)

#137 User is offline   Ereko 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I'm in New Zealand at the moment and thought I'd share this pic of Mount Ruahepu and a crazy little cloud :p!Not the best of cameras!
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."
George Carlin

#138 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Took this using a tripod, mirror lock-up and timer.

Attached File  IMG_3046b.jpg (81.28K)

#139 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

These were taken this morning, catching the first morning sunrise of 2011 across lake Motosu. The promise of morning and new beginnings. :wub:

Attached File(s)

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#140 User is offline   GaesReturns 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

A few of my photos. Attached File  DSC06420_1.JPG (131.89K)

Attached File(s)

Seriously, do I look like I give a shit?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users