Malazan Empire: Mafia 52, Spycraft - Carribean Revolutions - Malazan Empire

• 101 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia 52, Spycraft - Carribean Revolutions game-thread.

#1 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

General rules apply as in the regular wall of text, unless contradicted by the stuff below.
Modkill limit is not in effect (see below).
Be civil and behave.
The mod is always right.
You are expected to know what is written here.

1. Mafia Leveling

Yeah, you read that correctly. This game is going to use levels that expand your role, or sometimes, restrict it. So, how does it work?

Every role has 6 levels, starting at 0, ending at 5.

The first important rule is this: you all start at level 0, no exceptions.

The second important rule: everyone levels at the same time, no exceptions.

Rule number 3: the mod announces when everyone goes up a level. New abilities can be used immediately from that moment onwards.

Rule number 4: you always have all abilities from level 0 to the current level, so if you’re level 4, you can use abilities from level 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, but not 5.

Rule number 5: while everyone has 6 levels, it can very well be that several levels do not give new abilities. In this case, the following notation is used:

Level X:
no new abilities.

This may be at any level. So, some players can start off with 1 or 2 abilities or even more at level 0, while others gain their first ability at level 1 or even 2, and do not get an ability at level 5 either. Of one thing you can rest assured: if someone says he is a RI, he’s a liar. At some point, everyone has an action.

Rule number 6: the actual conditions for levelling:

For every 3 dead people: +1 level, to a maximum of level 5
For every 500 posts: +1 level, to a maximum of level 5

Levels go up at the end of a day or night and this is announced by the mods. Abilities may or may not influence the moments of levelling up. You can go up multiple levels at the same time.

Rule number 7: no moaning how you think you’re underpowered compared to others based on this list alone. Balancing a game with 17 roles and on average 6 abilities per role is tough. Especially since we do not balance roles, but factions AND roles. We think we did a good job, though…

2. Day and Night:
Each phase lasts 24 hours.

Day times out at 24 hours or when a lynch has been achieved.

Night times out at 24 hours or when everyone has submitted a night action or passed.

We are going to wait for guarded players to pass or submit.

3. Iron Man:

Any night- or day-action you send in is resolved IMMEDIATELY. No provisionals, no ifs, buts or recalls. We will therefore not accept people who send in day actions in the final hour of night, or vice versa either.

4. Number of actions:

Unless your ability says otherwise, you can use only a one ability per day, and only one per night. So if level 2 gives you a night-find and level 4 a night vig, you have to choose which one to use when you are level 4.

5. Role PMs.

A. Headers: or, how to fake a role PM. Roles are headed in the following way:

Austin Powers – International Man of Mystery (British) – Spy

From left to right:
character name – role description (nationality) – alignment (Spy for town, Syndicate for scum).

B. Abilities are written as follows:

Level X:
Ability name: phase. (Number of uses). What it does.

Example:

Level 3:
Japanese twins: day/night action. Limited number of uses (1) Upgrade of Austin’s things-to- do-before-I-die-list. Twins Fookmi and Fookyu, in the bedroom. Now.

Underscores that you may encounter:

Passive: this ability is activated as soon as you get it and does not count towards your maximum number of abilities per phase.

Day/night action: you can use this ability both during the day and at night. It is also sometimes written as night/day action. Bite me.

Limited number of uses (1): you can use this ability only once per game.

Upgrade of …..: this ability does something to an ability you already have: namely the ability name on the dots. All uses of that earlier ability now also do the new stuff. In many cases, upgrade of is written to show that you gain extra uses of an already existing ability. For example: another use of a vig.

Operation: unique ability for the American team, also required for their point objectives. More on that later.

6. Storydriven:

Now that we are talking about actions: every (bunch of) action(s) is resolved in a short story for all players to read. Names are not going to be dropped, but there will be hints as to appearance of the players and the nature of the action.

7. Mod-kill and you: posting limits:

You must post at least once every 24 hours. Due to the nature of the game, we do not do modkills – but there will be NASTY repercussions. Namely:

If you are a spy, your team will lose 5 points per time you’re unable to post.

If you are scum, there are no night kills from the Syndicate this day/night cycle.

The sole exception is when temporarily taken out of the game through an ability.

8. Communication:
Communication off-thread is forbidden, unless you are a lover with someone else.
Throughout the game, lover links will be established, changed and broken. These can be between different factions and between spies and scum. Be careful what you reveal.
Every message between lovers must be CC’ed to the Hugin & Mugin account.

9. Mods:
There are multiple mods.

Communication between players goes through the Hugin & Munin account. Also, communication sometimes takes place between players who do not know one another, only each other’s alts and sometimes not even that. In such cases, H&M makes sure the correct message arrives at the correct player, while removing all references like quote tags to the sender. The sender thus only sends a PM to H&M. If we have to do more editing (see below) before being able to pass it on, we will instead delete it.

Use of language: when communications through H&M are employed, we kindly ask you to use the Queen’s English, no emoticons and proper punctuation. Why? Because we want sender and receiver to be anonymous and not easily guessed, and for some of you, spelling and punctuation are huge give-aways. If we think a message will allow the receiver to guess/ alt guess the sender, we will not send it on – yeah, you read that correctly: we’re not going to do any editing for you.

Actions, rule & role questions and SH thoughts go through Path-Shaper.
Path-Shaper will be used to post in the game thread.

10. Revealing your alignment:

This is a spy game. Public reveals of your nationality are not done. Do it anyway, and you are executed by vigilante supporters of El Presidente’s Junta for unwanted involvement in internal affairs (modkill). Also, your team loses regardless of the outcome of the game. Don’t do it. This includes fake reveals. You may however code your alignment on one condition: let the mod check the code first and approve of it.

11. Revealing name or abilities:
1a) publicly stating you are a thieving, sabotaging, conspirating, murdering, spying foreign agent out to bring down El Presidente is signing your own death warrant. Quoting from your Role PM on thread is thus a modkill-able offence. What you do in PMs is your own business.

Note that using your (code)name/ role description is a modkillable offence as well.

1b) General use of the terms: guard, find, vig, heal etc is allowed, also to describe your own abilities, however, specifics (when you used them, who you used them on, what the exact number of used during the game is, how it is affected by levels et cetera) is forbidden. When in doubt, consult P-S.

If you want to make a target out of yourself in this way, go ahead… cause the chances for other teams to win a point victory increase with every single dead/ disabled spy from another nation.

You can also publicly reveal the alignment and abilities of another player, this will not lead to a mod-kill. We advise caution, however.

1c) If someone manages to correctly break a code you posted in the game thread that states your role, nationality and/or abilities, you will be captured and executed by El Presidente’s police (this counts as a modkill but will not lose your faction the game/points). Don’t do it, or do it VERY well.

This post has been edited by Path-Shaper: 21 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#2 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

Victory Conditions:

Spies (regardless of nationality): Eliminate the scum.
However, that is only half of their victory condition.
The nation with the highest number of points will bring down El Presidente and replace him with their own puppet. All the other spies lose.

Scum: Achieve a majority.

Game Goals: these aren’t mutually exclusive, but will give bragging rights and, in case of a town victory, will determine the winning faction.

Goals per town faction:

The Americans:
15 points: have at least 1 player of your nationality alive by the end of the game.

10 points: have at the least 3 players participating in every executed Operation.

5 points: achieve the highest combined level, including dead people.

3 points: have more people alive than any other single team.

2 points: 2 points for each player that used his or her Operation.

1 point: all surviving Americans must be lovers with at the least 1 other US spy.

The British:
15 points: have at least 1 player of your nationality alive by the end of the game.

10 points: collecting the most lynch votes per player (average) of all the factions.

5 points: being part of at the least 3 lover connections per British spy. This is an average.

3 points: not having voted on or having used harmful abilities on another British spy.

2 points: 2 points per completely investigated spy team of another nation.

1 point: all British spies being lovers with at least 1 other British spy.

The French:

10 points: survive with every team member alive by the end of the game.

5 points: vig more people than any other faction (scum aside).

3 points: having healed or otherwise protected every French player at least once.

2 points: having 1 or more uses of a protective ability remaining. For each French player fulfilling this condition, 2 points are added.

1 point: all surviving French players must be lovers with at least 1 other French spy.

The Russians:

10 points: gain an absolute majority amongst the survivors for finder purposes.

5 points: achieve the highest combined level, including dead people.

3 points: the Russians who know each other from the start must both survive.

2 points: 2 points per BP remaining at the end of the game.

1 point: all surviving Russians must be lovers with at least 1 other Russian by the end of the game
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#3 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

The sixth Floor of the UN building.

The door of the rather cramped conference room opened. A middle-aged man, a map dubbed YEO clutched to his portly chest, stepped in. “Sorry I’m late. PA held me up. It seems we are all here. Good, let’s begin.”
None of the three others who were present and already seated looked at the empty fifth seat with the Chinese hammer-and-sickle logo on it. All of them knew that there was no place here for them in this discussion.
“Isla Verdia,” a lady well into her fifties, iron grey curled hair into a hairdress that could well withstand a tropical storm said, her English clipped and distinctly upper class.
“Isla Verdia,” a non-descript man confirmed, his Russian accent thick. The only thing that stood out on him where his eyes, as dead as those in the skulls generally found in a fifty year old Polish mass grave.
“Are you going to be parroting one another throughout this meeting?” the last of the three, a rather striking woman in her thirties demanded, her French heritage showing in every syllable.
“No need to argue, Françoise,” the American said. He didn’t sit down, instead, he had his arms crossed over the back of the chair, leaning heavily on it. “We all want Hugo Gremio deposed off. We all know it isn’t a matter for the security council. We also can’t send in the armed forces. We need to settle this, fast. The drugs trafficked through there is deemed a danger to the American market, and the DEA is driving me nuts. More, they have the president’s ear.”
“We don’t want an American puppet that close to Cuba,” the Russian said.
“But your candidate…” the American protested.
“… is a renowned writer and social reformist in exile, and therefore perfectly acceptable.” the Russian said in a deadpan voice.
“You both seem to forget that the island is a former French colony, and half of its population has ties to France and the right to claim a French passport,” the lady addressed as Françoise protested.
“We took it off you, darling, around the same time we took Canada,” the British diplomat reminded her. “However, I’ll admit that we should not overlook the European angle in this, and I think we would be a fair compromise between the two archenemies here.” She swept a hand towards the two men.
“If you support the French candidate, sure,” Françoise replied, arms crossed under her breasts.
“If we risk our agents, and we might need a 00 team for this job, it is going to be our candidate, love.”
The American sighed. “It seems we’re at an impasse. Those fuckers at the DEA demands American agents to help the new president in his fight against drugs. Igor here won’t accept that, and as much as I hate to say it, he has a point. However, I can’t go back to Langley saying that.”
“Mind your language, Harry. As for us, MI6 needs a success to secure our funding. This could be it, I expect our board to be ecstatic at the opportunity. Ecstatic of course also means chauvinist. Which, while a French word and perfectly applicable to them” – Françoise sniffed – “means we want our candidate. We’ll send in a team, but we’ll be working for our goals only. Sorry about that, Harry old chap, you know how it works when you need to safeguard a budget.”
“Understandable, Margaret. I don’t like it, but I understand.”
“It seems the meeting is adjourned, then. Four participants, four goals, no compromise,” the French diplomat said. “It is out of my hands. If you will excuse me? I have a few phone calls to make.”

~~ Picked up from a limousine, cruising through New York ~~

“Send in a strike team. Undercover. Diplomacy? We don’t have the fucking time for diplomacy, Gerald! The Brits are talking 00s, and since Igor the fucking Jetski or whatever his name may be was ready to back his candidate all the way, the Russians are working on something, I tell you. Get a few experts in a chopper and on a plane, and drop them off. I want them operational ASAP! No, I don’t give a flying fuck about the fact that we have no strike team on stand-by that is fucking fluent in Spanish. Throw a bunch of them that way, we’ll see what comes of it. Improvise, dammit!”

~~ Russian UN embassy, on a line deemed secure by the FSB ~~

“Who is stationed in Cuba right now? Hmm. Do we have any agents in Venezuela to aid Chavez there and influence the situation? No, I am telling you, comrade, this is more important. We can use the success. Can be immediate pay-off, even. Besides, I already outbluffed that fat American. So, in fact, I am going to pull rank on you right now. Send whoever is closest. What, no experience as a team? What happened to the good old KGB discipline? I guess they will have to learn to work together on the job.”

~~ The English Consulate, international phone call to London ~~

“It seems we have an opportunity. Send in the guys in the smart suits, Alexander. No, they don’t need to pack much. Apparently, the island is pretty lovely in this season. Who do you have on hand? No, not him. He’s atrocious, better to keep him where he is. Anyone else? Yes, I know 003 is not available. So, who then? Hmm, they don’t go all that well together. Let’s hope the egos don’t clash overly much. Send them in.”

~~ The French Embassy, as heard through a tap ~~

Françoise leaned back in her chair, and looked at the other people in her office. “It is settled. You are going to Isla Verdia, and you are going to depose Hugo Gremio. Everything you need to know, is right in the file. Don’t make too much of a mess, please – the president does not want to wreck a fragile third world economy – he wants to obtain a potentially profitable puppet holiday resort he can spend time in with his expensive trophy wife. Plane leaves in 39, so you’d better hurry.”

~~ somewhere, on an island in the Pacific ~~

“Our operations in Isla Verdia are threatened, madame. The message arrived only a few minutes ago, straight from New York.” The bald man eyed the lady on the sofa. She was quite attractive, if not for that bald cat she brought everywhere to stroke. The fact that she called the animal Pussy did not in any way appeal to his very German sense of humour, nor to other parts of his Prussian mindset.
“And are our agents in place, Otto?”
“Unfortunately, we had no team on the island. Gremio would never have made that speech had we kept the leash tight on him, madame.”
“What is done, is done. No team. Infiltrators?”
“Yes, but they have never worked together.”
“We pay to get the talented ones. They’ll have to do. Or die trying. The same for the man whose sector the island actually is. Do I make myself clear, Otto?”
Those last words did appeal to his Prussian mindset. Otto liked women in control. Although the threat of punishment did not appeal to him at all, as there would be no riding crops and Lederhosen involved, just sharp, sharp knives and finally, a merciful bullet to back of the head.

This post has been edited by Path-Shaper: 21 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

#4 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

The game will start in 30 minutes.

Good luck all, have fun.

MOD-EDIT: UPDATE WITH SIGN-UP STUFF

This is a Tapper game. That may or may not be a general approach to the game you like. To be more precise, this one is the sick, twisted elder brother to the Rome game. I’m not going to give too much away, but you should expect a few things:

Many roles are over the top. Using the powers that come with your role and using them correctly is going to be a relatively big part of this game, bigger than in usual scumfinding games. Only a few players know someone else in their faction from the start, and even less of them can communicate. This may change during the game.

This is an exploration game. You start with very little info, often only that which is available in your PM and in this post.

While the game is scum versus town, town is also divided in 4 factions, of which only 1 can win. Moreover, the scum hides amongst the different town factions. To determine which town faction wins, we use a point scoring system (see below for the clarification). This is new to Mafia, afaik, and some of you may hate it. So be it, but I wanted to try this.

Finally, this is a spy game. Always look over your shoulder, you never know who is standing behind you. And if you know… do you know if he actually is with you? Even if he has the same victory condition, he may have different goals anyway.

Also, a pro-tip: being trigger-happy is probably going to let you end up with a big hole in your foot. If you’re lucky… cause there may be nothing left beneath the knee. Don’t play this game if you want to play suicidal, either.

Special rule segment.

Yes, this is a big section. Make sure you READ IT WITH THE UTMOST ATTENTION BEFORE SIGNING UP, so that if you don’t like it, you’ll save everyone a huge headache by not getting modkilled or losing the motivation to pay attention once the game is underway.

Thank you.

Now, if this didn’t scare you away, grand, I hope you’ll sign up. However, I’m going to be an asshole and expect you to know what is written below ONCE THE GAME IS UNDERWAY.

The game's difficult enough for everyone even if you know the basics. That goes even for our super players. Besides, I hate repeating myself.

This post has been edited by Path-Shaper: 23 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

#5 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

The sea, blue as in a commercial. A beach, whiter than Megan Fox' teeth. The sun, yellow in the blue sky. A paraglider, aiming for the surf. A man dropping off it, watching it crash into the trees, then stripping away his wetsuit and unshouldering the large waterproof pack on his back, zipping it open, revealing a military grade minigun and a bulky radio, which h frantically starts to operate.

~~

A window sill, and a radio playing The Gypsy Kings' version of Hotel California. The broadcast is rudely disturbed. "delta here. We are online and moving!"

#6 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

The game is on. Have fun all!

It is Day 1. 24 hours remaining

17 Players still alive: Anomandaris, Barghast, D'riss, Emurlahn, Galain, Gamelon, Hood's Path, Kaschan, Korvalain, Liosan, Meanas, Mockra, Omtose, Ruse, Silchas Ruin, Spite, Tulas Shorn

9 votes to lynch, 9 votes to go to night

Players not voted: Anomandaris, Barghast, D'riss, Emurlahn, Galain, Gamelon, Hood's Path, Kaschan, Korvalain, Liosan, Meanas, Mockra, Omtose, Ruse, Silchas Ruin, Spite, Tulas Shorn

#7 User is offline   Spite 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

And we are off to the races.

#8 User is offline   Spite 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

I don't know about you boys but I am expecting a high turn out and a lot of conversation.

#9 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

I prefer the Eagles version of Hotel but that just me.

#10 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Who are the Gypsy King's anyway?

#11 User is offline   D'riss 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Eagles version of Hotel? Is that some kind of code?

Edit: no that would be lame.

This post has been edited by D'riss: 21 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

#12 User is offline   D'riss 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

I have some business to attend to. Will be on later.

#13 User is offline   Silchas Ruin 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Buenos dias! Still trying to wrap my head around the setup, but checking in.

My take on the intro scene is that all members of the syndicate are infiltrating the other teams, so there probably are at least 4 and no one can trust anyone on their team.

Any other takes on it?

#14 User is offline   Gamelon 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

hello!

so for every 500 posts we go up a level, SPAM TIME! well after dinner and a bottle or two of red.

#15 User is offline   Hood's Path 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'm here. This looks very confusing.

#16 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'm in!

gonna be a crazy game.

#17 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

What the best description for this game? It seems a mixture between a normal town vs scum and a merc game. This should be fun.

#18 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Here and ready to go. Definitely interesting set-up. Should be good times.

#19 User is offline   Spite 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

View PostSilchas Ruin, on 21 September 2009 - 06:18 PM, said:

Buenos dias! Still trying to wrap my head around the setup, but checking in.

My take on the intro scene is that all members of the syndicate are infiltrating the other teams, so there probably are at least 4 and no one can trust anyone on their team.

Any other takes on it?

Looks like you know Spanish to me. So I says your scum

Vote Silchas

#20 User is offline   Spite 

• Recruit

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I don't know about you other boys but when I got the call to come here I was getting a rub down from 4 strapping young lads. :D

Share this topic:

• 101 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users