Malazan Empire: Kruppe - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe

#1 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hello, everyone! This is my first post...

This topic, is all about Kruppe. Your opinion on him, whatever it may be.
Feel free to share it!

My opinion on Kruppe, is that he was a great assett to Gardens of the
Moon. I say that, because he gave some "comedy relief" to the story.

A random topic.
Please comment.
I like other people's opinions.
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#2 User is offline   Steamer 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hey Pal,

Kruppe was indeed a slippery character yes

He was there for comic relief only I reckon....the 3rd person narrative was excellent and brought a new insight into his pompous waggle of a walk

Excellent character.....as good as Rake!Posted Image

Is it true that Kruppe is in the 2nd book too??

Thanks,

MudManPosted Image

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:28 AM

View PostSteamer, on 06 October 2009 - 01:29 AM, said:

Hey Pal,

Kruppe was indeed a slippery character yes

He was there for comic relief only I reckon....the 3rd person narrative was excellent and brought a new insight into his pompous waggle of a walk

Excellent character.....as good as Rake!Posted Image

Is it true that Kruppe is in the 2nd book too??

Thanks,

MudManPosted Image

Well he did have *some* role in the plot, you know that whole Eel and the many goings-ons in his dream-worlds...

As for the 2nd book, no Kruppe does not feature in that book, but the equally awesome Iskaral Pust does. And Kruppe does indeed return in a later book(s) beyond the 2nd one.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

View PostD, on 06 October 2009 - 04:28 AM, said:

As for the 2nd book, no Kruppe does not feature in that book, but the equally awesome Iskaral Pust does. And Kruppe does indeed return in a later book(s) beyond the 2nd one.

Ah, Pust is ten times ore awesome than Kruppe! But sseing how this is the GotM forum let's not get into this.
As for the OP I agree that Kruppe was one of the reasons of why I enjoyed GotM, although in my opinion he gives his best in MoI
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#5 User is offline   Steamer 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 06 October 2009 - 03:52 PM, said:

Ah, Pust is ten times ore awesome than Kruppe! But sseing how this is the GotM forum let's not get into this.
As for the OP I agree that Kruppe was one of the reasons of why I enjoyed GotM, although in my opinion he gives his best in MoI

Ah yes I knew who Krupee secretly was :)

Please tell me who Circle Breaker is?!??!?!?!

Cheers,

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

circle breaker, as it turns out, is one of the only characters in the series to get a happy ending. appropriately, we never hear from him again.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

Kruppe LOVES Kruppe! But then, Kruppe must needs confess to being a wee bit biased in the Kruppe department!

This post has been edited by Kruppe of Darujhistan: 06 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#8 User is offline   Steamer 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:57 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 06 October 2009 - 10:08 PM, said:

<br />circle breaker, as it turns out, is one of the only characters in the series to get a happy ending. appropriately, we never hear from him again.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

yes yes i know this but which of the darujistan characters was he??? Murillio? Crokus? Old Cobb? Meese? The thug @ the door of the inn?

this has been driving me crazzzzzy trying to work it out :D

please tell me

for lunch im having a "Pale Burger"....lots of meat and bacon with splattered red sauce all over it :) makes an approprirate mess

#9 User is offline   Eispeis 

• Trygalle Trade Guild Route Planner

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

View PostSteamer, on 07 October 2009 - 12:57 AM, said:

yes yes i know this but which of the darujistan characters was he??? Murillio? Crokus? Old Cobb? Meese? The thug @ the door of the inn?
this has been driving me crazzzzzy trying to work it out :)

please tell me

AFAIK it's never revealed who he is. It's simply a random dude who fades away.

#10 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Simply said, he was one of Darujistan's guards who happened to be placed he could witness certain meetings and report it after his shift was over.

Just calling him random doesn't do him justice, but that is my opinion.

But talking of Circle Breaker, what was the place that he was guarding? He was thinking of some evil that never should awake again. That left me puzzled since the tyrant is buried somewhere else

This post has been edited by Dutch Master of the Deck: 07 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Dutch Master of the Deck said:

But talking of Circle Breaker, what was the place that he was guarding? He was thinking of some evil that never should awake again. That left me puzzled since the tyrant is buried somewhere else

He was guarding Despot's Barbican. But this is probably not the best place to discuss this, as we sort of know where he's buried thanks to TTH.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#12 User is offline   chowdher 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Kruppe is in my opinion the most intelligent person in the entire MBOTF series. The way he keeps his intelligence to himself but still acts as if he is all knowing just creates an air of obnoxiousness but power that makes him so enjoyable. Kruppe does appear in many other books especially in MOI. If you appreciated Kruppe's intelligence then you are in luck because their are other characters in following books that are very similar.

#13 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

View Postchowdher, on 18 December 2009 - 06:43 PM, said:

Kruppe is in my opinion the most intelligent person in the entire MBOTF series. The way he keeps his intelligence to himself but still acts as if he is all knowing just creates an air of obnoxiousness but power that makes him so enjoyable. Kruppe does appear in many other books especially in MOI. If you appreciated Kruppe's intelligence then you are in luck because their are other characters in following books that are very similar.

That is precisely the impression I got as well although I haven't read more than to the end of DG so far. Kruppe is a sneaky guy, nobody has figured him out, and when someone does, he has this memory-erase thing (very much Men-In-Black like or mindtricks of a Jedi). I enjoyed his character very much. His long lost twin (not literally of course) is Iskaral Pust from DG. I'm glad to learn that Kruppe returns in the third novel. Now, what I really would like to see is a meeting between Kruppe and Pust (please don't answer this if it's a spoiler in any way).

#14 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 06 October 2009 - 03:52 PM, said:

I prefer Kruppe to Pust, both great characters, but I suppose I like Kruppe more for his seeming levity to a cruel world. Pust is twisted in quite a different way...

Back on topic, it almost seems that, at least for high fantasy, a character like Kruppe is essential. Whether or not they can be written effectively is often the big question going into any story. In this series, the author(s) pulled it off to great effect!

#15 User is offline   werewolfv2 

• OurWild.World
  • Interests:Books and photography

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

[quote name='Cobbles' date='18 December 2009 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1261170739' post='712449']
Now, what I really would like to see is a meeting between Kruppe and Pust (please don't answer this if it's a spoiler in any way).
[quote name='chowdher' date='18 December 2009 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1261161834' post='712417']

now that my friends could cause fits! lol, oh damn.

#16 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

I didn't really care for Pust, but he's starting to grow on me...which is a similar thing that happened with Kruppe for me. Early on in Gardens of the Moon I didn't really grasp the character...but now I think he's awesome.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#17 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

Kruppe is a glorious fool. Pust is a glorious idiot.

However- don't push the Kruppe-Pust conflict any farther.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 User is offline   Vesper 

• Cadre Mage: Non-Expendable Army

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

View PostSteamer, on 06 October 2009 - 01:29 AM, said:

[...] but the equally awesome Iskaral Pust does.

I don't know if I'd call Iskaral Pust equally awesome. The majority of the humour with that character came from
Spoiler
, and that was revealed through external characters. Iskaral Pust was less humorous himself as the comic relief his actions provided. Erikson seems to have used him as an avatar of the plot, as he only really had major lines (or attention, for that matter) to explain where the main plot needed explanation (note how he was just dumped when it would have been inconvenient to keep him around).

Iskaral Pust would have been awesome if
Spoiler

Kruppe, on the other hand, was not only a capable mage, but he was also the man behind the curtain for most of the minor points in the book. He also had the temerity to banter with an elder god, the appetite of an elephant, and a food-specific case of kleptomania. He was awesome.
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass

were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred

thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath

across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones.

Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'

#19 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

At the beginning of the book I was of the opinion that Kruppe was quite possibly the most annoying character ever written. By the end of Gardens of the Moon, I had ceased that line of thought. Still think I like Pust more then Kruppe though.

#20 User is offline   meili 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Kruppe is indeed awesome. Not much more to say than that really.

I laughed a lot at the disguise part where he is surprised that he can be recognized lol.
I play Neverland Online, a free browser MMORPG. :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users