Malazan Empire: What have we here? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What have we here? A new thread, a new book!

#1 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

1) First post
2) When did this get announced?
3) SPOILER ME PLZ PLZ
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

sep
Steven Erikson's CRACK'D POT TRAIL now available for pre-order
Posted by Patrick
The author has turned in the 50,000-word novella. You can now place your order on the PS Publishing website.

Here's the blurb:

It is an undeniable truth: give evil a name and everyone's happy. Give it two names and . . . why, they're even happier.

The intrepid necromancers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, scourges of civilization, raisers of the dead, reapers of the souls of the living, devourers of hope, betrayers of faith, slayers of the innocent and modest personifications of evil, have a lot to answer for and answer they will. Known as the Nehemoth, they are pursued by countless self-professed defenders of decency, sanity and civilization. After all, since when does evil thrive unchallenged? Well, often: but not this time.

Hot on their heels are the Nehemothanai, avowed hunters of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. In the company of a gaggle of artists and pilgrims, stalwart Mortal Sword Tulgord Vise, pious Well Knight Arpo Relent, stern Huntsman Steck Marynd, and three of the redoubtable Chanter brothers (and their lone sister) find themselves faced with the cruelest of choices. The legendary Cracked Pot Trail, a stretch of harsh wasteland between the Gates of Nowhere and the Shrine of the Indifferent God, has become a tortured path of deprivation.

Will honour, moral probity and virtue prove champions in the face of brutal necessity? No, of course not. Don't be silly.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Shouldn't this be at the top of B&K subforum instead of the bottom? (Being the newest book and all...)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   DurhangAddict 

• Captain

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

View PostBubba, on 13 September 2009 - 11:26 PM, said:

You can now place your order on the PS Publishing website.

Sweet! Just placed my order. Supposed to be shipped in December.

I bet I get it before Dust of Dreams that I preordered from chapters back in april... :lol:

#6 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

Ooh! I'll be placing and order for this one asap! I hadn't even heard anything about this, thanks for the heads up!

@DA Not to worry, I know how you feel. I initially placed my order for DoD through Chapters, and they gave me a delivery date of September 1st. Of course I found out on September 1st that it wouldn't be arriving on my doorstep until January. Which is why I promptly cancelled my order and placed on with Bookdepository.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#7 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

Ha, I love the blurb! Might actually buy this one. Question: should one have read the previous novellas in order to appreciate this one?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:45 AM

View PostAin, on 17 September 2009 - 08:28 AM, said:

Ha, I love the blurb! Might actually buy this one. Question: should one have read the previous novellas in order to appreciate this one?

We can't really say yet for sure, but from the looks of the blurb I would say that it would probably be very useful to read the other novellas first, to get a better grasp of B&KB's origins and the many deeds of evil that set an entire community to following them for vengeance...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:42 AM

Some of the characters ref'd in the blurb may have appeared in the previous novels.

- Abyss, on that like Apt on a goat-bot....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:41 AM

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach: Three Short Novels of the Malazan Empire, Volume One: 1
£8.18

#11 User is offline   DurhangAddict 

• Captain

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

View PostAin, on 17 September 2009 - 08:28 AM, said:

Question: should one have read the previous novellas in order to appreciate this one?

No, one should read the previous novellas because they're feckin' awesome :D

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Why is this sub-forum now just called "Crack"???

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Lol, just noticed that too. However, noting our rampant nerdism, SE IS Crack-like.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

No idea how that happened but we've been jigging around with a lot of stuff today - still - that is wierdly appropriate :p
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#15 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

I will be placing my order as soon as it's available in North America. The exchange rate is killing me.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#16 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

I loved it. You can tell that Steve is just having fun with it and indulges his absurdist tendencies to the fullest. An intensely clever little book. Not to be missed :(

#17 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

I may have to change my name to Apto Canavalian....

You'd think I would be able to spell that one correctly.... damn my mortal limitations ... Everything will be better when I rule the world with an iron fist.

This post has been edited by Ribald: 02 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#18 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

View PostRibald, on 01 November 2009 - 01:17 PM, said:

I may have to change my name to Apto Canvalian....

in that case, you should probably spell it correctly (Canavalian) :( :p

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:16 AM

Clever, inside jokes about what happens in the book that you know far in advance of us will get you nowhere! (Other than being the epitomes of jealousy and other salacious emotions.)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:25 AM

Hey Mal, you haven't heard anything of when/where this one might take place have you? If this one's like the others it'll be somewhere not-yet seen, and since the number of such places is getting less and less, I'm really curious. Obviously this will take place sometime after tHD, but I wonder how long after...

(BF/HD spoiler)
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users