• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swords of Wu On various high-end swords Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Chance - wielded by Paran, invested by Oponn, acquired by Cotillion. was lucky for the wielder until it wasn't.

Otataral sword - wielded by Adjunct Lorn, broken by Paran, shard used against Poliel, Trygalle took the rest. negates magic. tavore has the same kind of sword, tho' not the one Lorn used.

Tool's sword - his original sword and his later one were both two handed Imass swords, invested by Kilava to be unbreakable. The suggestion is that all Imass weapons are similarly invested, tho' we don't actually know if that's true. It was suggested the knife and arrows Tool made for Toc were 'special'.

Dragnipur - made by Draconus, taken by Rake, broken by Brood. Had the gate to Mommy D and a small world inside it, powered by souls, frikkin heavy.

Vengeance/Grief - belonged to Rake, then Andarist, now Dessembrae. Makes a wielder of 'singular will' almost invulnerable. Still impressive for lesser people.

Bairoth Delum - two handed stone sword made by Karsa. Invested by the Unbound to be unbreakable. Karsa's original two companions' ghosts live in it.

Icarium's single edged sword - not really clear if the sword itself is special, other than being really old. It did cut through Karsa's old bloodwood sword in one swipe.

Kalam's otataral long knife - wickan long knives are described as being as big as a short sword, so here it is. Has otataral and was invested/made by a Thelomen High Mage, possibly Bellurdan. Stabs things really well. Negates magic.

Rhulad's sword - made from shards of Silchas Ruin's two short swords that were shattered when he was betrayed by Scabby Bloodeye, this fine piece of work fights for the wielder, and links them to the Crippled God so that they die and come back to life, each time stronger and more skilled. And crazy.

Glory Goat and Something Else - 'cursed' Letherii blue steel short swords Brys and the Ceda gave to Silchas Ruin. They 'sing' when struck on steel. Goat was supposed to shatter when its wielder died, but didn't.

Ruthan Gudd's Stormrider sword - appears to give the wielder 'ice' magic, tho' it is damn cold and can kill them. Seems to react to sorcery.

Kyle's first sword - an ordinary long sword but 'blessed' by an avowed mage with an air symbol. carries Osserc in it for a while before it breaks.

Osserc's sword - big shiny glowing blade that cuts through just about anything. Ossi gave this to Kyle to replace his earlier sword.

The Watch's Hust blade - wielded by either Rake or Ruin, tossed in the sea when it broke but it grew back and was claimed by the Watch.

Rill's two longswords - originally wielded by a champion of Li Heng, Rill took these when Rylandaras was released and carried them through the book.

That's all i got. As an aside, Ublala's axe had a name and is apparently magic.

- Abyss, to be clear, by 'Ublala's axe' i mean the big metal sharp thing and not his gear.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

Rilk is the name, thelomen for crush/smash. did anyone else notice that harlest calls it a mace, but then later on its referred to as an axe? kiiinda weird n'est pas?

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 09 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:58 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 September 2009 - 10:49 PM, said:

Kalam's otataral long knife - wickan long knives are described as being as big as a short sword, so here it is. Has otataral and was invested/made by a Thelomen High Mage, possibly Bellurdan. Stabs things really well. Negates magic.

Osserc's sword - big shiny glowing blade that cuts through just about anything. Ossi gave this to Kyle to replace his earlier sword.

Kalam's other knife is a demon-killing blade, isn't it?

Osserc's sword is ceramic, most likely. Definitely not metal.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 10 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 09 September 2009 - 11:16 PM, said:

Rilk is the name, thelomen for crush/smash. did anyone else notice that harlest calls it a mace, but then later on its referred to as an axe? kiiinda weird n'est pas?

Yes but Harlest is an idiot. An undead idiot, no less.

View Postamphibian, on 10 September 2009 - 03:58 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 September 2009 - 10:49 PM, said:

Kalam's other knife is a demon-killing blade, isn't it?

Osserc's sword is ceramic, most likely. Definitely not metal.

I don't recall a special description of Kalam's other knife besides it being a 'long knife'.

I can't remember whether Ossi's sword was crystal, enamel or whatever. I'm sure it was pretentious, whatever it was. :)

- Abyss, bets it was armani.

#25 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

Spinnock Durav also had a Hust sword. It had been passed along in his family if I recall correctly. Last time spotted lying somewhere in Darujhistan.

This post has been edited by vaiski: 10 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

View Postvaiski, on 10 September 2009 - 07:45 AM, said:

Spinnock Durav also had a Hust sword. It had been passed along in his family if I recall correctly. Last time spotted lying somewhere in Darujhistan.

I really need to get on with that reread...

it occurs to me that Hust swords share the self-reparing quality with bloodwood swords coated in bloodoil.

So, Hust swords are dipped in dragons blood. dragons are aspected to starvald demelain. starvald demelain is linked to otatatal. otataral dust can make humans heal themselves. bloodwood and bloodoil are derived from otataral. coincidence? i think NOT!

- Abyss, is going to conveiniently ignore the self-healing blackwood thing...

#27 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

One of Kalam's long-knives is Otataral, the other invested with Elder magic, thus allowing it to defeat the Otataral present in the other blade.

Also doubt that the Watch's Hust sword was Rake's - he had Vengeance/Grief, then Dragnipur. No need for a Hust weapon.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostSilencer, on 25 September 2009 - 06:24 AM, said:

One of Kalam's long-knives is Otataral, the other invested with Elder magic, thus allowing it to defeat the Otataral present in the other blade.

Also doubt that the Watch's Hust sword was Rake's - he had Vengeance/Grief, then Dragnipur. No need for a Hust weapon.

One of Kalam's knives was T3 forged - was it the otataral one or the other one? Iirc, the not-otataral one wasn't invested, just a really nice knife. But i don't recall any ref to Elder warrens being involved? Also, anyone remember whether ST drops Kalam in the Azath with both knivbes or just the ottie one?

Re Rake, i initially had the same thought as you, except that Rake is a couple of hundred thousand years old, and there's no reason to assume he didn't have other weapons before Vengeance and Dragnipur.

I also wonder whether Vengeance was an invested Hust weapon, but that's an aside. I don't recall anything from HoC or RG to suggest one way or the other.

- Abyss, cut off.

#29 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

TTT forged, by Bellurdan.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 25 September 2009 - 02:22 PM, said:

TTT forged, by Bellurdan.

Yes, but WHICH?

And the Bellurdan thing was only a theory.

- Abyss, pointedly.

#31 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

A theory? Kalam recognised the symbol as Bellurdan's. And it was the non-otataral one.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

herewego...

Set of two long-knives, last owned by a Pardu ghost-slayer but Wickan in design, one infused with otataral, the other invested with elder magic tho no warren is specified. Curious reference to the design being Fenn but the investment being Bellurdan's.

So yeah, these weapons have a pedigree.

- Abyss, notes Amazon look inside is your friend.

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Silencer would like to point out, he must remember to never doubt himself, particularly when it comes to minor details of interest in the Malazan series.

;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#34 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:04 AM

I'm still convinced he is referring to his sword as a 'she'. It's like a boat - "She answered well to the helm". I doubt any god would directly intervene and make his sword magical at request.

Shinrei said:

#35 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

I took that reference to mean whomever had invested in the sword was answering the assault on the swords wards.
By she answering like she never had before, in my puny and insignificant mind, linked it to mother dark as she was flooding back into power with Rakes death. Linking Rathan to mother dark was a glass ceiling for my intellect though, I'll let some of the highbrows thrash the idea into the ground and stamp on my face.

(the deathly cold would strip away suggestions of MD, as absence of light could suggest cold theres never been any references to cold in dark, only stormriders and jaghut, only other idea in my head would be the investor is a female Jaghut and is responding to rathans call for assistance with verve hitherto unseen.possibly queen of the stormriders?)

#36 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Actually there is a link between Dark and Cold as the gate to Kurald Galain in Dragnipur is quite often referred to as being deathly cold.

#37 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Actually, Draconus is the Consort of Dark/Suzerain of Night, and he too is often associated with both cold and darkness, Macros.

However, the most direct reference with regards to the sword were Stormriders, so one must assume that it is either channelling their power (whether Ruthan is of the SR's or not is questionable, as it is heavily implied that he is merely manifesting as that in this case, rather than it being his real role/whatever). In any case, I can't see why people are assuming that some power is reaching through the sword to answer. Named weapons are often referred to with impersonal pronouns like 'she', and invested weapons in fantasy get that more than most...

Shinrei said:

#38 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

i prefer my theory of she being a female figure pusihng power through the sword, so nyah ;)

where do the stromriders get their power after all?

#39 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 September 2009 - 07:40 PM, said:

i prefer my theory of she being a female figure pusihng power through the sword, so nyah ;)

where do the stromriders get their power after all?

Well, QB does refer to Gudd as a "Mael-bit Nerruse-whore-spawn Stormrider". So possibly it could be Nerruse,Lady of Calm Seas and Fair Wind, that is empowering Gudd and/or his sword.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#40 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

I too believe it must be a female goddess/ascendant as SE has never called any sword by 'she' or 'he' . SE has always used the weapon's name.

^slight correction. The characters we've had POV's of have never called any sword 'he' or 'she' before. ;)
But why would it be Nerruse, rather than Mael? Why would she interfere on Gudd's behalf? We've seen magical swords respond to nearby danger/magic before, however.

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users