• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swords of Wu On various high-end swords Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Malachai 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

It occurred to me that the White Crow's two "singing" swords were really not explained for 2 whole books(!), and now we kinda get some history and "personality" surrounding them in DoD.

Now that we've got several new additions to the Malazan List of Awesome Swords, can anyone help me with a rundown of the ones that have been mentioned by name and who wielded each one, maybe with some flavor text added?

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:05 AM

Perhaps I am mistaken, but the "goat" swords wielded by Silchas Ruin in MT, RG, and DoD are blue steele, and early Letherii make. The sword found by the Watch at the Shore is a Hust blade, and quenched in dragon's blood or something like that. The swords wielded by Silchas Ruin at the time of the battle with the Andii and Edur v. the Che'Maille were shattered and used to form Rhulad's blade (possibly). These are all different blades.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Blacksox 

• Captain

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

HoosierDaddy, on 07 September 2009 - 05:05 AM, said:

Perhaps I am mistaken, but the "goat" swords wielded by Silchas Ruin in MT, RG, and DoD are blue steele, and early Letherii make. The sword found by the Watch at the Shore is a Hust blade, and quenched in dragon's blood or something like that. The swords wielded by Silchas Ruin at the time of the battle with the Andii and Edur v. the Che'Maille were shattered and used to form Rhulad's blade (possibly). These are all different blades.

Maybe the swords used to make Rhulads sword were Hust swords. Meaning maybe it will regenerate itself like a Hust sword does?

#4 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Blacksox, on 07 September 2009 - 05:22 PM, said:

HoosierDaddy, on 07 September 2009 - 05:05 AM, said:

Maybe the swords used to make Rhulads sword were Hust swords. Meaning maybe it will regenerate itself like a Hust sword does?

If they hadn't repaired themselves by the time they were reforged into a new sword, it seems unlikely that that would have repaired itself so fast.

#5 User is offline   Deragoth 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

Don't forget Vengeance and Dragnipur :)

Though the latter is gone now :)

Ahem, forgot to say that Daseem/Dessembrae is walking around with Vengeance.

This post has been edited by Deragoth: 08 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

#6 User is offline   Malachai 

• Recruit

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:17 AM

Karza's sword: does it have a name that I missed somewhere? I think it's one of the most powerful. And Gudd's sword was pretty cool, too.

Did Rhulad name his cursed sword? They should all have names :)

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

karsas sword is bairoth delum
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

There's also Tool's unbreakable flint sword (no name that I can recall); The Adjunct's Otataral sword; and Fiddler's sword, whose major ability seems to be invisibility.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#9 User is offline   Witness 

• Recruit
  • Favourite Food: Voyeur Soup

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

I was under the impression it was Tool´s skill that was special, not the sword - all T´lan invested swords share that trait, no?
“The world, someone once said, gives back what is given. In abundance. But then, as Kallor would point out, someone was always saying something. Until he got fed up and had them executed.”

#10 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

AFAIK the T'lan Imass swords are all stone, but Tool's could have been something special. I don't remember any mention of it being remarkable beyond his skill.

Does Kalams otataral long knife belong in it?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

More special swords:

Parans sword "Chance". Apparently broken and used to kill Poleil.

The two strange saber like swords that Skull death uses to cartwheel around like a flying ninja on.

Osserics crystal sword mentioned in a Killy flashback.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 09 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

#12 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Chance is in the sea somewhere, Lorn's otataral sword was shattered and used to help kill Poliel.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

In the sea? What?

EDIT: Oh yeah, chance was not ottataral. Brain fart on my part (hee hee see what I did there)

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 09 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

Probably getting Chance and the coin mixed up, I have actually forgotten what happened to Paran's sword.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Well, I think Cots took it, and that scared the male twin, but I don't remember what happened after that.

#16 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

Clearly this is going to come back and bite Oponn in their tricksy arses.

Hopefully after they stop helping Corabb and after he gets out of the horrible situation you know he's going to be in right before they actually bugger off.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 09 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

#17 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Paran's sword in the sea?

I kinda remember Anomander Rake saying to Paran in GotM (after he had wounded one of the Hounds of Shadow with it after they turned on him when Hairlock got slaughtered by them) that he should part with it at some time and give it to an "enemy" (or something like that).

And I also recall a while after when Paran meets Cotillion that the latter says that Paran has a nice sword and that Paran gives it to Cot as a present.

ok, it ain't fresh in my mind anymore, so I might be wrong.

A reread of the series might be not such a bad idea.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#18 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

Wasn't it the coin that got thrown in the sea?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Coin went in sea, Paran wedged sword in floorboards back in GotM aaaaages ago, then picked it up after Coll was okay, then gave it to Cots when the Hounds were considering munching him at the verrry end.

*Cries for DoD to arrive*
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#20 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

Has anyone mentioned Kyles sword of Osserc yet?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users