Malazan Empire: Mafia practice required... - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia practice required... ...but where?

#1 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:08 AM

The Mafia bug has bitten me and I need some practice on lesser forums, so that I can come back here and kick arse! Let's face it, I only lasted 4 posts in the last game and it was my best yet! I've looked on the ASOIAF board a few times but their games seem to go on for months, can anyone recommend a good training ground please?

And as an aside, how many games do I need to play before I'm allowed to join the High House Mafia group and associate myself with all you evil bastards that have made my brief Mafia career such a nightmare so far? :p

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:16 AM

If you are into mafia, you probably qualify for HHM. Though maybe some of the older members will have something to say about that.... :p

As for practice, ModCraft runs much smaller, easier (though sometimes incredibly strange) games...none on at the moment though. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:36 AM

View PostHinter, on Aug 23 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

The Mafia bug has bitten me and I need some practice on lesser forums, so that I can come back here and kick arse! Let's face it, I only lasted 4 posts in the last game and it was my best yet! I've looked on the ASOIAF board a few times but their games seem to go on for months, can anyone recommend a good training ground please?

And as an aside, how many games do I need to play before I'm allowed to join the High House Mafia group and associate myself with all you evil bastards that have made my brief Mafia career such a nightmare so far? :p

Don't feel to bad about only lasting 4 post in the last game. I have played in 30+ games and only had 3 posts in the last one. If there is a game running on Modcraft then join otherwise just keep playing in every single mafia game. Really the only way that you can get better is to jump right in and keep playing.

I think that Morgoth is in charge of letting people into the High House Mafia group. God knows that it isn't some snobby collection of assholes.....er...wait...yes it is... :p

Of course Silencer should also be able to put you in. T
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:39 AM

Actually, I think I'm responsible for more High House members than Morgo. XD

I just don't really pay attention to the 'requirements' - it's request-based, so I was just teasing poor Hinter. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

Well I've just registered at Modcraft so hopefully I'll get some action there...

As for the High House Mafia group - I just want to be special :p

#6 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

I agree - just keep playing here.

The learning curve is a bit steep IMO, I still suck, but more and more I'm getting (some) things right.

And how long you live isn't necessarily a factor in how well you're playing. I've usually lasted to the very end or almost to the end of most games I've played, and that doesn't mean I was any help to anyone at all. :p
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

I almost always last for ages. Then again, I cruise low-posting style, and if I've got a good role I come out guns blazing on day 3 or day 4 when we're close to victory and people are starting to look at the low posters. XD
Only when I'm evil, mind.

-Silencer, "one of the best killers in Malazan Mafia"

Shinrei said:

#8 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

I've been keeping a record of my games (nerd!).

Not counting merc games, my record is 7 wins, 6 losses (3-0 as scum, 4-6 as town).

Only in 3 of those games would I say I really played well. I've also singlehandedly lost two mini's for my team to make up for my good games. :p
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

Eh, don't keep track of your win-loss ratio. Some of the oldest players here have WAY more wins than anyone else, but because of the sheer number of games they've played their ratio is crap. Especially if you consider that there is little you can do if you've got an awesome town against you as scum, or a crap rest-of-town and decent scum. XD

If you take only your win-loss ratio as scum, that's probably a better indication of your skill...though THEN you've got the informed minority advantage, etc, etc. So it's best just not to keep track unless you're on a streak or have some spectacular wins, or something. :p

Shinrei said:

#10 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

View PostSilencer, on Aug 23 2009, 10:56 PM, said:

I almost always last for ages. Then again, I cruise low-posting style, and if I've got a good role I come out guns blazing on day 3 or day 4 when we're close to victory and people are starting to look at the low posters. XD
Only when I'm evil, mind.

this sums me up as well. If there is someone still alive on day 3/4 that you can't even remember then chances are that person is me. That style is a disadvantage and advantage. hehe.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 24 August 2009 - 03:18 AM

#11 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

I've never been scum so far but then I've only played 4 games. It would be nice to be evil though :p

#12 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:19 AM

It can be fun. My first scum game got me killed on night 1 but scum ended up winning as DiBs put in an incredible game.

It can really depend on the mechanics involved though (ie. Rot3K). But evil is always cool cause at least you have a role and can kill.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 24 August 2009 - 03:20 AM

#13 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:39 AM

@Silencer,

I don't really care about the win ratio. I know, Mafia is not like sports, I'm just doing it because it's part of the overall record I'm keeping (which is mostly comments about the game and how I felt I played.)

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:41 AM

Ah, lol. Yeah, I started off doing that. Still have a few leaves of my notes around. XD

Shinrei said:

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

I just play drunk, and don't give a damn what people think about me (that's kind of necessitated by the first part). However, the only thing that really should matter is whether or not you are having fun. If you are so terrible at inno, your team takes care of that for you, usually. :p
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

HD- just start typing your posts like you are drunk Morgy, the ultimate meta disguise.

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

I take pride in making my posts legible. Worthwhile? That depends on how drunk I am; but, always legible.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 24 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#18 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Admirable, of course. But what if someone swore that once you had been alt guessed you would die? A vendetta against HD. Then it would help to assume another identity.

Life or lynch, the only choices here.

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Then I die. But, what rapscallion would so wish such death onto me? Better to be myself and trusted then play "alting" games. Even so, I can hide when I need to do so to keep me around. I"m only belligerently drunk on thread when RI, I wouldn't do my team the disservice of being a roled inno moron, or an obviously drunken killer ('cept for where it proved worthwhile... say like Team Fortress 2 :p ).

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 24 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

#20 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

View PostSilencer, on Aug 24 2009, 03:56 AM, said:

:p

now that is blowing your own trumpet

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic