Malazan Empire: Positions - Significance? (Hey look Apt, I can edit my title!) - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Positions - Significance? (Hey look Apt, I can edit my title!) Here there be spoilers - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

Good call, that makes sense.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#22 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

View PostISTN4249, on Aug 27 2009, 05:09 PM, said:

stormy/gesler being a good example. how the hell did Gu'Rull find Stormy and Gesler out of the whole camp and know to use them? Well they were both marked by the reading that wasnt a reading as Orb and Throne. Unaligned. Perfect for the KCCM.

Doesn't explain why he appeared to go for Gruntle, who most definitely is aligned, first.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on Aug 27 2009, 12:13 PM, said:

View PostISTN4249, on Aug 27 2009, 05:09 PM, said:

stormy/gesler being a good example. how the hell did Gu'Rull find Stormy and Gesler out of the whole camp and know to use them? Well they were both marked by the reading that wasnt a reading as Orb and Throne. Unaligned. Perfect for the KCCM.

Doesn't explain why he appeared to go for Gruntle, who most definitely is aligned, first.

Gu'Rull tried to kill everyone in the cart, including Gruntle. Maybe b/c Gruntle was an ascendant of war and getting too close to the KCCM or maybe because GuRull was bored and wanted to kill somthing.

How I read it, Gruntle being carried off by Gu'Rull was just to drop him from an enormous height and easily kill him, presumably b/c Gruntle was putting up much more of a fight or just because Gu'Rull recognized the risk and wanted to end it easily and not damage himself any further (since he did take wounds in that battle)

#24 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

spinner of death = Fiddler IMHO

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

#25 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 22 August 2009 - 11:52 AM, said:

3. Not a reading comment, but during the chase scene to find him, Fid breaks Stormy's nose. Who was the last person to break one of Stormy or Gesler's noses?

Coltaine was the last person to break one of there noses. It makes sense for Fid to be an asendant. He is worshipped by the bonehunters and he is a bridgeburner and they are the lords of Death now.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#26 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

View PostISTN4249, on 27 August 2009 - 04:09 PM, said:

Mappo I would say that readings normally show what capacity you will act in (in regards to the houses/holds) and sometimes it does indicate a person holding that position but its passive. It shows the information only to those present at the reading until the time comes for the person that was dealt a card to act in the capacity of the position shown.

However

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"This wasn't a reading,' Fiddler said. 'No one here was found. No one was claimed. Adjunct, they were <i>marked</i>. Do you understand?'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it seems like they haven't been "chosen" but marked. which makes them "visible" to ascendants/gods i imagine that would use/abuse/stop/help them. not a passive "you will end up doing this later and only us here at the table will know your position", but now something that anyone with a sensitivity to the deck/houses/holds can see.

They were marked before the reading. Both of there bodies shine with Golden power. That would have been enough for Gu'rull to single them out in the camp. After all if you were looking for Champions and came across someone who positively glowed wouldn't you grab them. I find that more likely then Gu'Rull being sensitive to the Deck. Which he wouldn't know anything about.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#27 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

I imagine there will be a Gu'Rull perspective in tCG. Should be interesting.

#28 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:10 AM

There was a Gu'Rull perspective in Dust of Dreams...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:49 AM

View PostSoulessdreamer, on 25 December 2009 - 01:00 PM, said:

TTFN

I can see why you'd say this, but during Fid's readings he reads out the name if their present. Thus, he would have carded himself in that instance. The three on the table are IMO relevant cards yet to be introduced to the situation. For example, Ganoes was key to the situation in that the Errant was going to intervene, thus the MotD's presence would be engaged.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#30 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostMappo, on 26 December 2009 - 02:10 AM, said:

There was a Gu'Rull perspective in Dust of Dreams...

...hence my comment. I would like to know why he attacked Gruntle and company. I also like getting inside the more alien consciousness.

#31 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

View PostH.D., on 26 December 2009 - 05:49 AM, said:

TTFN

I can see why you'd say this, but during Fid's readings he reads out the name if their present. Thus, he would have carded himself in that instance. The three on the table are IMO relevant cards yet to be introduced to the situation. For example, Ganoes was key to the situation in that the Errant was going to intervene, thus the MotD's presence would be engaged.

Yeah but fids a bridgeburner and they never reveal thier hand until forced.

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

#32 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

View PostH.D., on 26 December 2009 - 05:49 AM, said:

TTFN

Just re-read this part lately, and while I agree that Fids not spinner of death, the other two table cards both came into play in some way during this reading. Knight of Shadow was being protected by Bugg et al, while the Master was more of a back-up/threat for the errants presence.
Why was Spinner of Death the other card, if he was not also involved in some way??

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users