• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe: A Pronunciation Guide Lil' help over here

#1 User is offline   Lazar 

• Apprentice of High House Fantasy
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

My younger brother recently began to read this epic saga that unites us all (he loved it), but something wierd happened and he pronounces some of the words in a contrary fashion to me. I was wondering if anybody could let me know how they read some of the words from the books?

KRUPPE
My brother pronounces his name like crup
Whereas I've always heard it as something like Cru ·PAY (Krup é)

TISTE
I've always heard this one as Tist
· AY, but my brother just pronounces it Tist

TRYGALLE
I've always thought of it as Tri
· gal, but its probably wrong :S

ANDII
My bro says And · EE
As opposed to my: And · EYE

DASSEM
Da · SEEM or DASS · em?

Thanks to anyone who could answer, and sorry if this is in the wrong place :S
Friend, know this for certain. Whatever Anomander Rake now attempts to do, he does not do it for himself.

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

I ran into this same phenomenon with my brother when he started.

As to yours:

Kruppe: I say "Krup", my brother says it like you. I think you could make the argument that, as the accent is absent, it is "Krup". However, your way is just as right, in it's own way.

Tiste: I pronounce it "Tist", but yours is just as right. There's no correct pronunciation again, as the accent is absent.

Trygalle: Tree-gal or try-gal...a bit like to-may-to and to-mah-to. Either is fine. I use the former.

Andii: In my mind it's a bit of both. And-ee-eye.

Dassem: it's the latter. There's only one "e" and two "s"'s, so it can't be Da-seem.

Anyway, that's how I pronounce them. Your placing is fine, by the way.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

I dont think there's been any sort of official pronounciation guide, but SE has done a couple of readings and I bunch of people here have met him IRL. I guess his way of pronouncing the names would be 'correct', it would be nice to hear from them.

For what it's worth I also pronounce it krup, but with emphasis on the p. Try-gal is how it sounds in my mind, as is Tist. I realise I probably say andii very differently to most people, since I always think of it as un-dee. Thinking about it and-eye is more likely to be right.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#4 User is offline   Leanoric 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

View Postalt146, on Aug 13 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

I dont think there's been any sort of official pronounciation guide, but SE has done a couple of readings and I bunch of people here have met him IRL. I guess his way of pronouncing the names would be 'correct', it would be nice to hear from them.

For what it's worth I also pronounce it krup, but with emphasis on the p. Try-gal is how it sounds in my mind, as is Tist. I realise I probably say andii very differently to most people, since I always think of it as un-dee. Thinking about it and-eye is more likely to be right.

Actually, I went to a reading/signing with SE last year and someone asked about the pronunciation of a word or two. Erikson's reply? He didn't mind. In fact, he said, he and Cam actually pronounce things differently. So I guess there is no 'right' way. Just pronounce it how you like ;)

Leanoric

#5 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

My 2p:

Kruppe: Krup' (where ' == neutral vowel, or a plosive exhalation, like however you pronounce 'up')
Tiste: Tist', except when followed by Edur, when it becomes Tisté
Trygalle: try-GALL' (two syllables with a final neutral vowel, emphasis on the second)
Andii: Andy. There's no such thing as an 'Andus' or 'Andius' so pronouncing it like a Latin plural makes no sense to me

The one that I flip-flop on is Barghast -- hard 'g' or guttural?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#6 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

View Postjitsukerr, on Aug 14 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

Andii: Andy. There's no such thing as an 'Andus' or 'Andius' so pronouncing it like a Latin plural makes no sense to me

Just because SE had a grammar fail doesn't invalidate the way it should be pronounced. Phonetically, using the Latin plural pronunciation is the one that makes the most sense.

As to Barghast, do the Barghast use guttural stops? The Imass use glottal stops, so it would make sense that it is guttural, as they are descendant of the Imass.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 14 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7 User is offline   alt146 

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

I pronounce it the same way as you'd say ghastly.

Oh, and I pronounce it dass-em,l forgot that one earlier.

I know from a previous thread that I pronounce Duiker very differently from the rest of you, but that's because there's a buck called a Duiker in South Africa and I pronounce it the afrikaans way.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

#8 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

For me:

Dassem- DASS-em

Tiste: Teeste

Andii: Andy (stretch the y)

MTS-I believe the Barghast do use glottal stops. I read it in MoI.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

We'll never reach much of a consensus on this online because this forum spans the entire world so we all have different natural pronounciations that come to mind at first due to our own native accents/languages/etc.

Try finding a common ground on pronouncing that sea-demon from MT/RG...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, I probably butcher I lot of them. (Even my friend who I got reading the series pronouncing everything differently than me.) But hearing it any other way just feels wrong.

Tiste Andii - TISS-dee ANN-dee
Kruppe - KRUP
Trygalle - truh-GALE
Dassem - DASS-um
Barghast - BAR-gast
Jaghut - JAY-gut (I pronounce almost no vowel in the second syllable, and the 't' is more of a stop than a consonant)
Imass - EYE-mass
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Tiste Andii - TISS-tee ANN-dee
Tiste Edur - EEDyur
Kruppe - KRUP
Trygalle - try-gall
Dassem - DASS-em
Barghast - BAR-gast
Jaghut - Jag-ut (single syllable)
Imass - EYE-muss

#12 User is offline   Dredge 

• Recruit

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

Pretty sure Kruppe should be "crup", but can't help reading it in my mind's ear as "croup".

Also instinctively feel that "Tiste" has associations with (or was derived from) "triste", so a French pronunciation seems appropriate: "teest EYE-dur", "teest ANN-dee".

#13 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

I've always struggled with the pronounciation of " Seguleh"

Is it SE- JHOO- LEH , ( SE-JHOO- LAH ?)
or even,
SE-GOO-LAY, ( SEE-GOO-LUH ?)

ARGHHHH!

Similarily K'Chain Che Malle is tricksy. The K'Chain bit is pretty straightforward but the rest ?

Is it Che as in " Guevara" or more guttural as in hawking up a flemball ?

Malle as in shopping mall or more French sounding MAR-LEH ?

I go with SEE-GOO-LAH and K'Chain Che (Guevara) MAR-LEH.

IMO
Kruppe is KRUP
Tiste Andii is TIST ANDEE
Barghast is BAR-GAST

Imass is IM(pale)-ASS ( as in ass !)

But as Drek says, each to their own. It is interesting though as in some cases it almost changes how you perceieve the characters,

I mean Imass as - EYE-Mass ?!?! No way !
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#14 User is offline   alt146 

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

View PostD'rek, on Aug 14 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

We'll never reach much of a consensus on this online because this forum spans the entire world so we all have different natural pronounciations that come to mind at first due to our own native accents/languages/etc.

Try finding a common ground on pronouncing that sea-demon from MT/RG...

This is very true. I think ee-muss because in zulu all nouns have a leading 'i' which is pronounced 'ee'. And I pronounce jaghut 'jag-hut', seguleh 'seh-goo-luh' and Che Malle 'cha mull'.

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

Like alt, I just say

Seguleh = seh-GOO-luh

Also:

K'Chain Che'Malle = kuh-CHAIN cheh-MAL (though sometimes I'll say kuh-CHAIN cheh-MAIL on account of the word-association with "chainmail")
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#16 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Nice topic:) I think, that many would be suprised by pronounciantion thru whole world. So as many nations from malaz world uses many languages, many names probably wont fit into english pronounciation (and still, SE is english speaker...so...)

...so let it be in everyones mind...:p

So, mine versions, bcause Im from Czech Republic (and still has no problem with reading in english - writing is worse, as you see:)), are:

Tiste Andii - TI-Ste(!) (oh damn, its so hard to describe pronounciation in foreign language!) - so no "ay" or "sti", short and hard word with no elongation
Kruppe - Khrup-pe(!)
Trygalle - Thry-gaal
Dassem - DaSSīem
Barghast - BAR-ghkaast
Jaghut - Ya-ghud
Imass - I (shortly, hardly)-mass
K'Chain Che'Malle - Kkhain Che (guevara;)) Maale(!)
Seguleh - Se(!)-goo-lekh

...etc...:p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#17 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

I keep it simple. For me:

Dassem: DA-sem
Imass: EYE-mass
Seguleh: SEG-you-lay
Tiste Andii: Tist-ANDy
Kruppe: CRUP
Jaghut: JAG-ut
K'Chain Che Malle: Cu-CHAIN-chay-MAL
Cutter: TOSSER

But now that I've typed it above, I notice that my emphasis is all over the place. Oh well, surely it's whatever works for you.

#18 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

I'm from the States, to get a frame of reference

I always try to pronounce things in the path of least resistance. I don't care if a name or word has a glottal stop or lots of hard sounds or whatnot - I want my reading to go smoothly and not have me mentally stumbling over all of the hard, clunky sounds

Tiste Andii - tist ANDY eye (this flows best for me)
Tiste Edur - tist ee der (this is the best I could figure out so I didn't have to stop each time I saw 'Edur' and try to pronounce it)
Kruppe - croop (don't care if this one's wrong, it flows right off the mind's tongue instead of the clunky crup version)
Trygalle - trih GALL (actually having it be TRY and not TRIH makes it harder and more clunky to pronounce for me)
Dassem - dass EM (again, so it flows better)
Barghast - BAR gast (no complaints with this one)
Jaghut - Jag oot (I seem to recall a mass pronunciation thread where it was determined that this was the correct way)
Imass - Ih mass (any other way made me have to stop or slow my reading to get over the word)
Seguleh - seg you luh (it seems like the U is in there just asking to be pronounced like this)
K'Chain Che'Malle - [hard K sound] chayne [hard CH sound] mail (i know the 'mail' at the end here is probably wrong, but I think it flows better)

#19 User is offline   Steel General 

• Oxidizing Officer
  • View gallery

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

Here's how I see/hear them in my head while reading...

Tiste Andii - Teest Andee
Kruppe - Croop
Trygalle - Try-gal
Dassem - Dah-seem (After reading this threadI know it's wrong, but that's the way I saw it at first so its stuck)
Barghast - Bar-gast
Jaghut - Jah-goot
Imass - E-mahss
K'Chain Che'Malle - Kuh-Chain Chu-Mail
Seguleh - Seg-yoo-luh

Interesting discussion.

#20 User is offline   Undyingly 

• Recruit

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Don't mean to revive a dead thread. However in my opinion you're all going about it the wrong way. It's not about you would pronounce it. It's about how the character who's speaking would pronounce it. This may just be me, but when I read speech I like to have everyone pronounce things a little differently depending on the person.

And p.s. in regards to MTS second post. No. It is not to-mah-to. Open up a dictionary and check out the pronunciation key.

This post has been edited by Undyingly: 17 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users