Malazan Empire: The Hobbit Movie - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Hobbit Movie Spoilers for the film and anything to do with LotR and the hobbit

#481 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

That will largely be due to total economic collapse and a worldwide technological blackout.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#482 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

And Taco Bell will have been the only ones to have survived the Fast Food Wars.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#483 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

View Postworry, on 16 December 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

That will largely be due to total economic collapse and a worldwide technological blackout.

I think they'd call that "The Rapture" in the Midwest. As they lock themselves in their bunkers and secretly ponder why they're still here ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#484 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

Saw it tonight and loved every last second of it. Not one moment wasted, and a stunning conclusion to the trilogy.

I can officialy say that I loved all three movies. :)

Some nerdy Tolkien-fan moments:

Spoiler

And Billy Boyd's end credits song THE LAST GOODBYE is gorgeous!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#485 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

Saw this. I was a bit underwhelmed. It felt like Peter Jackson was not entirely sure how to end it and the last part of the battle of the Five Armies was a bit patchy. Had to keep reminding myself not every movie can be a Return of the King.

Most awesome scene: Galadriel unleashed. Holy shit that was scary.

Best fight: Thorin vs Azog.

Funniest fight: Dain the headbutter!

I enjoyed every second of the Smaug sequence. It was unbelievably well-made. But the highlight was Martin Freeman.He effortlessly controls each scene he is in. Even with no dialogue, his expressions alone steal the show.

The funniest time I had was while washing my hands in the bathroom and overhearing increasingly bewildered argumnets about which are the five armies.

I found myself wishing somebody would just thump Thranduil over the head a bit. Bloody useless idiot. Also his instructions to Legolas to go north and seek out the Dunedain seems weird. The lonely mountain is quite far in the north. What would the Dunedain be doing even further up north? In LotR its stated that they mainly patrol the northern reaches of Arnor, and thats a totally different place.

This post has been edited by Andorion: 21 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

#486 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

Pretty sweet movie. I do agree that the battle was a bit mishmash. The broad battle had some cool moments but nothing really jaw-dropping like in Helm's Deep or Pelenor, in terms of character moments or outstanding choregraphy. The isolated one-on-one fights near the end though were fantastic, as was Gandalf's escape. I also think Tauriel more than made up for her existence. She's awesome.

The biggest flaws:
Spoiler

The extended editions of both previous movies actually improved them, so I'm hoping some gaps get filled in for this one too.

#487 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

View Postworry, on 22 December 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

The extended editions of both previous movies actually improved them, so I'm hoping some gaps get filled in for this one too.

Indeed, I can't wait to own all three extended editions. Then of course my plan will be a Hobbit & LOTR Extended Edition Weekend Marathon!

#488 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Indeed, I can't wait to own all three extended editions. Then of course my plan will be a Hobbit & LOTR Extended Edition Weekend Marathon!

Weekend? Bah - 1 day marathon!!

I noticed a scene in the trailer that wasn't in the film...

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the film and probably on par with Return of the King for my favourite LotR/Hobbit films!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#489 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

View Postchamp, on 22 December 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Weekend? Bah - 1 day marathon!!

I noticed a scene in the trailer that wasn't in the film...

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the film and probably on par with Return of the King for my favourite LotR/Hobbit films!

Indeed, I got definite ROTK vibes from this as well. Nothing QUITE as solid as my fave moment from ROTK (Aragorn's Speech at the Black Gates followed by "For Frodo"), but it definitely has a few close ones.

#490 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Finally saw this one. For me, 2 was the best (2 > 1 > 3). I did think the added Bard storyline was well done (in 2 as well). But this one dragged for me, more so than the others. Although I'm usually in the "more is better" camp, I think this would have worked better as 2 movies (5 hours total, tops). Among other slow bits, the extraneous Tauriel-Kili stuff was a big time waster in an already-too-long movie. And poor Evangeline Lilly, always getting stuck with the patronizing "love triangle" trope.

Attached File  E2XZb0OqNGsl.jpg (44.44K)
Number of downloads: 0

Regarding the aforementioned "Galadriel unleashed" scene, I thought it was a bit over the top. (Film makers are way too enamored with sound and visual effects. Also,
Spoiler

I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#491 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

Spoiler

#492 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

I still haven't seen it.. I'm not really all that motivated to at the moment either.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#493 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostKruppe, on 29 December 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Finally saw this one. For me, 2 was the best (2 > 1 > 3). I did think the added Bard storyline was well done (in 2 as well). But this one dragged for me, more so than the others. Although I'm usually in the "more is better" camp, I think this would have worked better as 2 movies (5 hours total, tops). Among other slow bits, the extraneous Tauriel-Kili stuff was a big time waster in an already-too-long movie. And poor Evangeline Lilly, always getting stuck with the patronizing "love triangle" trope.

Attachment E2XZb0OqNGsl.jpg

Regarding the aforementioned "Galadriel unleashed" scene, I thought it was a bit over the top. (Film makers are way too enamored with sound and visual effects. Also,
Spoiler

Spoiler

#494 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

I thought it was a total pile of crap. I am actually quite annoyed that the movie made me feel that way, as I thought I had stopped caring about Tolkien mostly.

Spoiler

Also, why are we spoilering quotes for a movie that is
A - based on a book we probably all read;
B - not exactly full of twists that spoilers will ruin the movie?

This post has been edited by Tapper: 30 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#495 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 December 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#496 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostTapper, on 30 December 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Fainting? Did I miss that? I must have.

Meh, Saruman was busy enough. Two Maiar either busy or wounded/exhausted...Galadriel makes decent enough sense as a viable option to put Sauron in his place.

I like your idea for the scene, but I enjoyed it how it was as well.

#497 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 December 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 30 December 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Fainting? Did I miss that? I must have.

Meh, Saruman was busy enough. Two Maiar either busy or wounded/exhausted...Galadriel makes decent enough sense as a viable option to put Sauron in his place.

I like your idea for the scene, but I enjoyed it how it was as well.

Except for the part where that entire scene contradicts LotR where it is clearly stated that the White Council: Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman, Gandalf maybe others together cast out the Necromancer.

#498 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostAndorion, on 30 December 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Except for the part where that entire scene contradicts LotR where it is clearly stated that the White Council: Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman, Gandalf maybe others together cast out the Necromancer.

Does it contradict it though? They all played a part, just because Galadriel did the final bit of banishing doesn't mean that they all didn't play a part in casting him out...it's merely PJ's interpretation of that idea. I don't think it's wrong or contradicts, it's just how PJ sees it.

#499 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Well, the White Council vs. Necromancer is at least canon, so I'm glad they found a way to include it, as opposed to extra "Kili pines for Tauriel" scenes. I just thought it was cheesily done... Fair points on Galadriel being more powerful than the others.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#500 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I agree with Tapper. It was total crap, even more so than the other two. Also, I don't really think spoiler tags are necessary here (if you're worried about getting spoiled -- on a film based on a book that is about as well known as it gets in fantasy circles -- then entering a thread dedicated to discussing the movie on a fantasy board just seems like it's obviously a bad idea), so SPOILERS AHEAD.

Aside from the already mentioned problems, I thought the pacing of the film was awful. Rather than feeling like it followed any coherent structure or built towards a conclusion, it just felt like a bunch of different conclusions thrown together hapharzardly -- which is not an inevitable result of multiple plotlines. We start with the conclusion to the Smaug bit (why not end the last film with that, if you're going to start this one with it?), then jump to the conclusion of the necromancer bit, then go to the conclusion of the dwarf bit, and everything happens in its own little bubble.

It felt stretched very thin, with a ton of extended action scenes and repetition (how many times did it need to make the point that Bilbo wasn't telling Thorin about the Arkenstone, really?), combining with important events and characters getting too little screen time. And the action scenes got increasingly ridiculous (peaking with Legolas running up the falling bridge for an eternity) and just started to seem like self-parody. The whole battle (goats, Billy Conolly/Dain in general, the tide turning as a result of a handful of dwarves joining the battle, Beorn's cameo...just everything) was the final nail in the coffin.

I know making the party of dwarves distinctive characters is perhaps tougher than doing the same for the fellowship, but after 9 hours, I feel like I ought to be able to at least tell you which dwarf is which. At the end of the film, we got a scene showing all the remaining dwarves, and I wasn't sure if some of them had even had a line of dialogue in the film. As well as the awful romance plotline that served to replace Fili's character, with Thranduil and Legolas chipping in for "Most heavy-handed moment of the series" (regarding real love). Also, if they're going to have a visit at the end, I'm not sure why they didn't go for Balin and Gandalf visiting, i.e, what actually happens in the book?

I also thought they really missed the tone of the book. Maybe it's just difficult with trying to fit the darker tone he gave LOTR (which the Hobbit book arguably doesn't do very much). However, instead of a lighter tone, it just felt like the same "epic" tone of LOTR, spliced with awful pieces of comic-relief, with the (not named in the book), Master's assistant guy getting more screen time than many major (in the book) characters.

I honestly struggle to think of one thing that I felt they really nailed. There are things that I think it was a good decision to include (such as the Necromancer information from the appendices), but I don't think they were handled well.

One of the worst films I've seen in ages, even taken seperately from the books.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users