Malazan Empire: The Hobbit Movie - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Hobbit Movie Spoilers for the film and anything to do with LotR and the hobbit

#421 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was very ambivalent about this movie. I think tiam nailed it on the head when he said that these films suffer from the same prequelitis as Star Wars. The incredibly fake-looking CGI was distracting as all get out, and I seriously think they made a misstep by computer animating the orcs. I've griped about the CGI in these before though so that's all I'll say about it.

Having Balin commend the courage of hobbits was almost word for word ripped from a scene with Gandalf in Lotrs - it just seemed lazy.

This is my greatest criticism of both movies, although this one was the bigger offender. Jackson included so many references and scenes nodding back to the original trilogy that I lost count. Gandalf lighting up his staff like in Moria, Gandalf almost falling off a ledge a la Boromir in Moria, Gandalf getting captured, Gandalf breaking a small walkway in half, the Elves surrounding the dwarves in a forest like Lorien, Legolas sliding on things, Hobbit guessing the riddle of the Moon Door, Kili getting shot by an orc arrow while being badass like Boromir, Arwen I mean Tauriel with an aura around her while healing, small person being poisoned, fucking kingsfoil. I could go on. Everything had to be some nod back to the others, to the point where it feels like there's very little that's new and memorable here, barrel-floating scene aside. Couple that with some unnecessarily long filler material (Kili-Tauriel subplot, barrel scene, Smaug caper through the tunnels) and the movie ends up as a long, drawn-out nostalgia fest with a few decent scenes in it.

They should just scrap the third movie and make it a chronicle of Steven Fry's rise to power as The Master.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#422 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Saw it. Some parts were good (Thranduil, barrel scene, first few Smaug minutes, the spider scene with the ring on).
Some meh (Beorn, Tauriel, elven ninja saving the day... seriously - all Sauron would need in PJs ME to conquer the world is a handful of elves).

But all that is outweighed by Peter Jackson wanting to make
A. An Indiana Bilbo trilogy that needs to conform to what he considers a checklist for a successful movie (chases, romance, combat, maligned champion of the people)
2. outright bad and unbelievable choices (dwarf-Smaug chase.... seriously, NOT eating/roasting/eviscerating Dwarf 1 & 2 because Dwarf 3 & 4 a hundred metres away shout at you?
C. His dire need to put HIS stamp on the material and creating enough filler for another 3 hour movie, as witnessed by the set-up for a mad chase through Lake Town in the next movie to first get the iron arrow, then get it to the ballista...)
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#423 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

So all in all.... 4 barrels out of 7, of which only 3 contain a Dwarf.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#424 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostBrent Weeks, on 23 December 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

View PostGraablick, on 22 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

Why didn't Gandalf sword shine a blue light at the necromancer keep?

I've wondered this. Gandalf tells Bilbo Sting will glow when goblins are near yet neither Glamdring or the other one does despite also being of Elvish make... Or did I miss something? Been many years since I read any Tolkien.

View PostGraablick, on 23 December 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

The three swords was made of the elves of Gondlin or however you write it. So Thorin's sword is also suppose to shine.

This was raised when the first film came out. It makes a big deal about the swords, with Thorin trusting an elvish blade and whatnot. Yet theres no blue aura in the goblin tunnels yet Bilbos definitely shines blue when theyre there. I think they do it so Sting is unique maybe?

#425 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

I hate to suggest it but it might be one of those cases where the explanation might be 'We didn't want to confuse the audience..' which I've heard before to justify odd changes in films.

I liked the way Gondolin got a mention, but all the swords should have glowed iirrc. The Fall of Gondolin... That would be a great (single) film.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#426 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Or it's just laziness/budget? Which would suck, as it's really simple and not hard to do. It would also confuse nobody. It's a pretty stupid thing to leave out, though I can't say as I'm particularly upset about it - happened a bit in the LotR trilogy too, iirc.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#427 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostSilencer, on 30 December 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Or it's just laziness/budget? Which would suck, as it's really simple and not hard to do. It would also confuse nobody. It's a pretty stupid thing to leave out, though I can't say as I'm particularly upset about it - happened a bit in the LotR trilogy too, iirc.

Exactly its the same sword in LOTR and would have been a more noticeable change if it glowed in the Hobbit era but not later on in LOTR. With Sting they had to do it. Leaving it non glowing in both is probably the best choice.

#428 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I finally saw the movie yesterday. At first I was willing to go with Jackson's desire to portray a more complete history of Middle Earth by bringing in the dwarf/orc war, but what he has ended up doing is ridiculous. This trilogy is analogous to the second Star Wars trilogy. The main difference is that Lucas destroyed his own creation, while PJ is trashing Tolkien's.

I can imagine a nine part Silmarillion from PJ.

#429 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Don't tempt fate. I hope there are no attempts at the Silmarillion until someone can do it justice without the need to 'make it their own'. And Jackson is well out of the picture.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#430 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Finally saw this on Monday. Although I almost fell asleep during the first Hobbit movie, I have to admit that I found this one enthralling throughout. Kept me awake, even though I was probably twice as tired as compared to this time last year...

Didn't like:

1) The unexplained and seemingly unnecessary magufinnization of the arkenstone.

2) Too much time wasted on the unnecessary Tauriel / Kili romantic subplot.

3) Beorn looks like Teen Wolf, as played by Richard Kiel.

Attached File  El-hobbit-beorn_grande.jpg (35.84K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  663409948_1386084560.jpg (23.24K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  richardkiel.jpg (27.75K)

Liked:

1) The Peter Jackson cameo at the beginning of the movie.

2) The bear version of Beorn looks cool. Looking forward to the battle of 5 armies action...

3) Nice inclusion of the one ring inscription for the true Tolkien nerds: Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

4) The expanded/added Legolas, Tauriel (except as noted above), Bard, and Necromancer storylines.

5) The barrel riding scene was much more entertaining than the running-from-orcs scene(s) in the first movie. Loved Bombur, Action Hero!

6) Legolas: [Looking at two pictures in a locket that he has confiscated from Gloin. The picture on the left has a long thick beard] Who's this? Your brother?
Gloin: That's my wife!
Legolas: [Looking at the infant in the other picture] And who's the other one? Goblin mutant?
Gloin: That's my wee lad, Gimli!

7) Radagast is useful, while being less silly.

And, in case you missed it (I did)...

Did you catch that cameo in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#431 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostKruppe, on 02 January 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Totally missed it, but glad to know he got a cameo. He's a total Die hard Tolkien nerd, and that gives me warm fuzzies. Merci for the linkage.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#432 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hopping in belatedly, saw it today with a bunch of friends (who sat through it for the second time...), and in spite of all the added material, fun to watch. :-D
Had to tell the geek corner of my brain to shut up every once in a while as it kept going: Laalaa Norse mythology laalaalaa... Fáfnir guarding his hoard...Oden the gray wanderer in his floppy hat and robes...oh, those dwarf names come straight from the Edda! Aaa the leader of Lake Town lives in a Norse stave church. (The real ones usually don't have dragon-killing weapons on their roofs, however.) A girl called Sigrid! Bödvar Bjarki A giant shape-shifting man...tralalalaa...

I swear this wasn't taken in Lake Town but in an open-air museum in Oslo a couple of weeks ago. Middle-Earthers surely love the same architecture and those dragon heads. :-D

Attached File  stavkyrka.jpg (123.19K)

#433 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Wow, I'm impressed, you really seem to know your Norse mythology. So what do you think of the Candy Crush Saga? Does it really hold up to all those wonderful candy myths and legends of Northern Europe?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#434 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostKruppe, on 02 January 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

1) The unexplained and seemingly unnecessary magufinnization of the arkenstone.

3) Beorn looks like Teen Wolf, as played by Richard Kiel.
Didn't have a problem with 1) on the grounds that most of the magufinnization was playing on the traditional Tolkiensian (and, for that matter, Nordic; see also Wagner's Ring Cycle) trope of dwarves as easily overenamoured by greed. But yes, Beorn did not fit with my mental image of him (I was thinking right kind of height but a bit broader and more beard and moustache rather than the overgrown muttonchops.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#435 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

#436 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

#437 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

It's good to see that they're continuing to fully address the problem of Tolkien's complete disregard for wacky chase scenes.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

#438 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

You cynical son of a bifur.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#439 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostTraveller, on 29 July 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

It's good to see that they're continuing to fully address the problem of Tolkien's complete disregard for wacky chase scenes.

Seeing as Tolkien once wrote an entire (long) chapter that was entirely geography...I'm willing to let a little of PJ's poetic license ride when it comes to the visual medium.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#440 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, but there's a point where you get too many cookie-cutter, overlong and relatively predictable/unexciting chase scenes. Ones that didn't need to be there. Or be so ludicrously unlikely.

XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users