Malazan Empire: The Hobbit Movie - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Hobbit Movie Spoilers for the film and anything to do with LotR and the hobbit

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostVolkh, on 10 February 2011 - 05:38 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 January 2011 - 07:30 PM, said:

Filming is set to begin in February, most of the cast is solidified. In Janurary Peter Jackson has slowly but surely been securing the folk he wants from the original LOTR films to reprise their roles, and that includes Serkis, Mckellan and now even Christopher Lee is coming back to play Sauruman. Frodo will have a cameo of course.

...and now they are talking about Orlando Bloom apparently wanting $1 million to do a 2 MINUTE CAMEO as Legolas.....Oh man...Bloom....Jackson fucking MADE you boyo...your only other claim to fame is POTC and only the first one is worth bragging about sir.

I am REALLY excited that Jackson is back on this. He will make it right. Del Toro would have been great...but the tone would have been a bit different (not that I would have minded much, I love Del Toro), and now it will really feel connected to the LOTR flicks.

I'm down with all the new casting so far....Martin Freeman is great! Also, apparently David Tennant is in talks to play Thranduir...Legolas' father and king of Mirkwood....cool..and the Doctor Who crossover continues with 7th Doctor Sylvester MCoy cast as Radagast the Brown (wizard). Very cool!

Anyways, thought I'd pop this one back to the top as it starts filming in NZ soon.

Wow, Legolas is never even mentioned by name in the Hobbit. Now it has been a long long long time since I have read this, please tell me i'm right.

You are correct, but they are doing two movies (shooting both at the same time), THE HOBBIT in two parts to really do the story justice. That said, he is likely to have a few beats and moments in it that will use the idea of bridging this film to at least Fellowship. Hence why I think Legolas is in talks...or they could just put him in for shits...cause the guy IS like a thousand years old anyways...he would have existed.

Speculation though...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Legolas was the son of the King of the Woodland Realm who is the Elvenking of the Wood-elves of Mirkwood that appears in the Hobbit.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

...and here is a shot of one Hobbit and 13 dwarves as the cast of the film poses for the first time together. There's Martin Freeman in the front who will play younger Bilbo Baggins.

Posted Image
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

...and a link to video of the press conference with them.

http://io9.com/#!575...-last/gallery/1

Enjoy!

#25 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

Link no worky :thumbup: I think Martin Freeman will make a good Bilbo, for the same reason he made a good Arthur Dent.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#26 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Filming begins down here in about a month's time.

View PostAbyss, on 18 October 2010 - 02:26 PM, said:

Apparently they're looking to film in Scotland since NZ has become a union-ridden problem.

Can't say i'm surpirsed they decided to split this in two. The inherent silliness of the dense LotR books each being one but the relatively light/fluffy HOBBIt split into two books aside, the dollar-grab factor is HUGE.

Any guesses on what point in the story the split happens? I figure the fight with the trolls, only instead of the way the book does it with Bilbo and the dwaves basically thrown in a pile and then oops the trolls overlooked a little thing like a fatal allergy to sunrise, we'll get something considerably less lame. Or it could be the spider-thing...

One way or the other, I admit my inner geek REALLY looks fwd to whatever they do with Smaug. Now THERE was a dragon... :(

- Abyss, trusts all the singing will be omitted again...

According to my LotR's obsessed girlfriend, they're making two movies to include material not directly covered in the book, such as Gandalf and the wizard council and their dealings with the Necromancer. Cool stuff, but seems a bit weird to add it in, and maybe unwieldy. I'm withholding judgement until I actually see it though.

Not sure how they're splitting the movies.

This post has been edited by Bombur: 13 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

#27 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 11 February 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

Link no worky :( I think Martin Freeman will make a good Bilbo, for the same reason he made a good Arthur Dent.

Hopefully these link will work

http://tvnz.co.nz/content/4023349

http://tvnz.co.nz/en...3-video-4022794

Please ignore the reference to 'wellywood.' The media insists on calling Wellington that in connection to our movie industry. It's a national embarassment.

#28 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

View PostClockwork Apt, on 18 October 2010 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yeah, I will believe it when I begin seeing commercials on the TV.

This

#29 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

yes i know who Legolas is and what relation to the elves that capture the crew in Mirkwood. just didn't think of him being mentioned by name or even position.
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

#30 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

View PostVolkh, on 14 February 2011 - 04:47 AM, said:

yes i know who Legolas is and what relation to the elves that capture the crew in Mirkwood. just didn't think of him being mentioned by name or even position.

No he was not mentioned by name in the book, but it is very plausible to put him into the film with a small cameo since they do get captured by his father...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I'm just excited Jackson and crew are going to revisit this world, and that it looks like he and crew are putting in as much thought and effort as they did for LOTR.

An aside: Is it just me or is it killing anyone else to have to wait till later this year for the release of the LOTR Extended trilogy on Bluray. Sigh. Wants it now!

#32 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

start of production.

#33 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

AAAARRRGGGHHHH! :D

FUCK 3-D!!!!!

Great, now I will only be able to see the movie in 2-D on some bastardly-small screen at about 6am in some out of the way old style cinema somewhere in outer Shitsville. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#34 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Looks amazing. I had a big grin on my face watching that clip.

#35 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I took the 3-D comment by Peter Jackson as him taking a piss (I hope that is the case anyway).

#36 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostGeneral Pattonhammer, on 15 April 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

I took the 3-D comment by Peter Jackson as him taking a piss (I hope that is the case anyway).

The vid has been taken down, anybody got another link as i'm lazy. I sincerely hope you are right although the pressure from the studio execs for 3D will be massive. It will be a lot easier to justify hiking up the prices for the biggest film of the year.

I'm with Sombra on the 3D issue, I fucking hate it.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#37 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

I can't see the point in this insistance on 3D. I prefer good HD on a big screen anyday.

What's the point in good cinematography, and using good composition of scenes to create depth when a computer then 'layers' it all onto fake looking fake depth which, to my eye, looks all wrong? It's just making money out of all those people who like to buy the 'next big thing' before they've had the sense to realise what a rip it is.

The film looks good anyway, but balls to 3D.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#38 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

I am not sure I get the 2D glasses one. Just because you are blocking one of the wavelengths, or how ever they project that extra image, how does that make a difference? Isn't that just regular vision at 50% of the frames per second? And is that even proper 2D? Is our television described as 2D? When I am thinking 2D I just think a picture.... Hmm, I guess regular films are just "moving 2D" then?

My brain is still sleeping I think.

This post has been edited by Battle Plaptypus: 23 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

On the 3D issue here...the good thing is that no matter what movie is in 3D....they are ALWAYS also playing in 2D...so while you can hate on it (I don't really like 3D on everything either) at least they always give you the non-3D option.

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users