• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Korbolo Dom and Mallick Rel

#1 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Apologies if this is already covered in another topic, but this is confusing. For me atleast.

Last time we saw them they were prisoners, yet when Kalam & Co go visit the Empress both Korbolo and Rel are (excepting the Empress) the most powerful persons in the Malazan Empire. I just finished TB the last few days and I can't remember anything about how they rose to power. How did this happen?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Mallick Rel was never taken prisoner. He escaped and travelled straight to the Capital where he some how managed to get himself into the inner cirkle of the empire. When Dom was taken in, Rel obviously did some interference on doms part and there was properly some lies and claims that the reports from 7C were false, etc. The truth of the matter was that, with Dujek gone rogue and the Adjunct untested, Dom was the last good High Fist in the realm.

#3 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Aha, I see. Thanks :p

#4 Guest_Truth_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

How does a traitor qualify for the post of "last good high fist"?

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

All the others were dead, renegade or just gone.

#6 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

IIRC Rel planted a bunch of "seeds" saying that the Wickans were the traitors and that Rel was on the Malazans' side all along. He also convinced Laseen that Dom was working undercover while he was with Sha'ik's army.

Actually I get the feeling that there is more going on here that we don't know, and that Laseen doesn't actually buy their story, or that someone is holding a knife to Laseen's back. But I haven't read RotCG yet and I think it may be touched upon in that book.

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:33 AM

Furthermore, there is the bit that publicly accepting Dom's story of Coltaine being the traitor and him being a hero gives the Empress an excuse (if the public widely accepts it) to exterminate the Wickans and use their lands for mass agriculture, the necessity for this being that the plague in 7C ruined food production for the empire.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Kryphon 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:04 AM

If Dom was the best of the rest, the Malazans are screwed.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

View PostKryphon, on Jul 2 2009, 01:04 AM, said:

What makes you say that? He's been oft-spoken of as a great tactician and strategist, just a tad bloodthirsty. Hell, he was even good enough to command the Bridgeburners for a time before Dujek...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   coltainereborn 

• Captain

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

That whole part where Dom and MR show up as the powers that be in Malaz city was one of the most frustrating parts of the story. I really wanted Kalam to say "screw it" and finish them off right there. It makes me wonder just what Laseen was thinking. Did she really think that Kalam would leave the Adjunct, betray the bonehunters, and become her master of the Claw? It seems like a big risk, b/c if he doesn't do it then she has two of the biggest snakes in the empire helping her run things. Was it a keep your enemies closer kind of thing? Or was she really OK with the destruction of Coltaine's seventh and the Wickans, and used MR to start the progrom so they could claim the Wickans lands? I have been going back and forth on whether Laseen is evil or just misunderstood. ever since the end of DhG when Kalam decides to stop his vendetta. Sometimes it seems like she is intentionally trying to bring down the empire.

#11 User is offline   Kryphon 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

View PostD'rek, on Jul 2 2009, 05:35 AM, said:

What makes you say that? He's been oft-spoken of as a great tactician and strategist, just a tad bloodthirsty. Hell, he was even good enough to command the Bridgeburners for a time before Dujek...

He may have been a COMPITENT commander, but not once did he show any brilliant tactics. Every move he maid, either on the Chain of Dogs or in Raraku, were expected and pretty stright forward. Even with far superior numbers he almost lost to Coltaine. He's a dime a dozen as far as generals go. What made Dujek, WJ, Coltaine, even Tavore to some extent, great was that while they did 90% of what everyong expected the other 10% left you dumbfounded and 3 steps behind. They were ALWAYS 1 move ahead, but then they always found a way to get another step on you.

Dom was basically ruthless enough and stable enough to get himself promoted to Fist. His ego was much greater than his talent. I stand by my statement. If Dom is the best of the rest, the Malazans are screwed.

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

View PostKryphon, on Jul 2 2009, 06:26 PM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Jul 2 2009, 05:35 AM, said:

He may have been a COMPITENT commander, but not once did he show any brilliant tactics. Every move he maid, either on the Chain of Dogs or in Raraku, were expected and pretty stright forward. Even with far superior numbers he almost lost to Coltaine. He's a dime a dozen as far as generals go. What made Dujek, WJ, Coltaine, even Tavore to some extent, great was that while they did 90% of what everyong expected the other 10% left you dumbfounded and 3 steps behind. They were ALWAYS 1 move ahead, but then they always found a way to get another step on you.

Dom was basically ruthless enough and stable enough to get himself promoted to Fist. His ego was much greater than his talent. I stand by my statement. If Dom is the best of the rest, the Malazans are screwed.

That's your opinion and you can feel free to have it, but I personally think you're giving him too little credit while giving Tavore and your general opinion of the ordinary commander far too much credit. Take for example the CoD. To me, a mediocre commander would be like Kamist Reloe, endlessly attacking Coltaine and relying on sheer numbers. But Korbolo, while using basic things like constant raids and certainly making full usage of his numeric superiority, also showed his cunning in exploiting many of Coltaine's weakness. For example, secretly contacting the nobles promising them a free crossing of Vathar in the middle of the night, then making a floating bridge with archers and killing the wagon-pulling oxen to completely clog the ford. He knew exactly Coltaine's weakness - the nobles - and he exploited it fully. And besides all that, he was far-seeing enough that he had Mallick Rel in position long prior to the beginning of the uprising, keeping the Aren army behind the gates and the navy impounded so he could take over the entirety of 7C with ease, and then when he reached Aren he got pratically the entire army out there and had them surrender. Finally, keeping Coltaine alive and blasting the crows with magic so his greatest enemy can never come back, while cruel, was still a genius move. IMO, anyway.

#13 User is offline   Kryphon 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

Tavore is a stretch. SO far she's done nothing to show she's anything beyond a good commander. Without spoilering anything, she's shown me nothing. Dom, while far superior to Reloe, still hasn't distinguished himself IMHO. I think, in the end, it'll be his insanely massive ego that screws him. He's not half as brilliant as he thinks he is. Better than an average fist? Well, you're probably right, Drek. But still not a match for the better Malazan Fists. For whats left, I'm sure he is their best choice. Assuming the First Sword mantle just screams overcompensating ass to me though. But we'll see.

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

View PostKryphon, on Jul 2 2009, 08:37 PM, said:

Tavore is a stretch. SO far she's done nothing to show she's anything beyond a good commander. Without spoilering anything, she's shown me nothing. Dom, while far superior to Reloe, still hasn't distinguished himself IMHO. I think, in the end, it'll be his insanely massive ego that screws him. He's not half as brilliant as he thinks he is. Better than an average fist? Well, you're probably right, Drek. But still not a match for the better Malazan Fists. For whats left, I'm sure he is their best choice. Assuming the First Sword mantle just screams overcompensating ass to me though. But we'll see.

Yeah the First Sword bit is a bit much, considering the only previous FS ran around the battlefields slaughtering everyone in his way, and I doubt Korbolo would be doing *that*. Of course the real reason he took the mantle of FS is just so he's the higher-ranking then Tavore and just about any other aids to the Empress.

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:34 AM

View PostD'rek, on Jul 2 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

Yeah the First Sword bit is a bit much, considering the only previous FS ran around the battlefields slaughtering everyone in his way, and I doubt Korbolo would be doing *that*. Of course the real reason he took the mantle of FS is just so he's the higher-ranking then Tavore and just about any other aids to the Empress.

RotCG spoilers:

Spoiler

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jul 2 2009, 09:34 PM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Jul 2 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

RotCG spoilers:

Spoiler

yeah yeah yeah, but I'm trying to present my case from a purely BH-and-below PoV...

#17 User is offline   Icarium Kalam 

• Shield Anvil
  • the picture is by Merlkir

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

can both burn in hell
(Jen'isand Rul, the Wanderer within the Sword)
'I am the Shield Anvil.' I am Fener's grief. I am the world's grief. And I will hold. I will hold it all, for we are not yet done. <Itkovian>
'We are not born innocent, simply unmeasured.' <Hull Beddict>
'Because a god visits her, Fist. He comes to break her heart. Again and again.'<Nether>
'Fucking dragon.' <Fiddler>
Take my breath. But not this one, not this one. <Apsalar>
'Aye.' It's a good word. I think. More a whole attitude than a word, really. With lots of meaning in it, too. A bit of 'yes' and a bit of 'well fuck' and maybe some 'we're all in this together.' So a word to some up the Malazans. <Sunrise>

#18 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:43 AM

Well, you can always read the spoiler text. It's not really a big deal.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#19 User is offline   Kryphon 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

I read the spoiler... Not proud about it... And wha? It told me NOTHING! Well, nothing I didnt already know.

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

I accept the fact that Dom is a great general because of the positions he's held and what characters say about him, I just think SE has done a poor job with his character. He seems like an idiot to me.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users