Malazan Empire: Aging Concerns. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aging Concerns.

#1 User is offline   madsaxon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Martial Arts and Ironworking/Welding.<br /><br />Also reading more than is generally accepted as healthy for me.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

So...

K'azz Davore when he shows up is an old man who looks like he's been beaten up and thrown in a back alley somewhere to moulder in piss and tango. The CG all look hale and healthy, after all that Iron Bars went through, all that shimmer and co. went through in the realm of the dead calm, and all of that crap.

Is K'azz aging for the CG? ALL of them? Did he take on all that crap FOR his soldiers?

Just a question. Hit me in the middle of the night.

PS - If this is true, who is Edgewalker aging for?
Walk softly and carry a big stick.

That way when you sneak up on somebody you can beat them over the head and steal their wallet.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

Prince Kazz remarked somewhere in RCG that he was "changing", the vow was altering him, it seemed as though the CGs might one day come to look something like the T'lan Imass.

If he had been aging for all his soldiers he would have looked like a hundred thousand years old... dust.

Why do you compare Edgewalker and Kazz? Edgewalker is most likely undead, having been killed... probably attempting to usurp shadow and his soul bound to the realm.

#3 User is offline   poeg 

• Recruit

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Edgewalker is an elder god, period. Maybe he's an aspect of time?

Page 96 in The Bonehunters.

This post has been edited by poeg: 02 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

What does that have to do with the topic? :p

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Perhaps he is disputing your claim that Edgewalker was killed. Albeit, that is still tangential to what is being discussed.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

Ahh. A good point. But, I'm one of the people who are skeptic at Edgewalkers statement that he is an elemental. As such, if he's just some ascended being, he can die... has died perhaps... for all we know even the elemental can die. Only dead for them is different for a mortal. They are probably just banished for a while in chaos.

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

I remember that it was implied somewhere by K'azz himself, that he's just the subject of the vow and not part of it.. Now I can't remember how long since the vow was given by the Crimson Guard...
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   lamatath 

• Recruit

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

Maybe he just looks old becasue he was quite old when the vow was sworn; nothing saying he was a young man in the books when he fought the empire (I don't think), while most of the 600 avowed would all have been in their prime since they're fighters.

Also, Stoop is described as appearing quite old. He says something along the lines of having fought for 160 years to Kyle and I gather the vow was sworn around 100 years pre-ROtCG. So I just thought that the vow preserves the avowed in the appearance that they had when they swore the vow (bar scars and stuff they gain post vow).

#9 User is offline   notreallysorry 

• Recruit

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

He said he was young when the vow was sworn and is now old.
I think he said it in the scene when Kyle figures his identity out.

This post has been edited by notreallysorry: 22 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

I took it that the mummified corpse pulled from beneath the Dolman was K'azz, and the Vow was restoring him, but it could only do so much.

Or was the corpse not actually K'azz? I reread that scene a couple of times to try to make sense of it: Corpse is found. It might be K'azz. Fight with Kallor. Jan appears. Huh?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Salt-man as far as i can remember, the corpse was just same random body stuck there far what ever reason. Jan is K'azz as Kyle figures out later, he might have been watching the others to find out what their intentions where before coming up to talk to them.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

I always assumed there was a link between the corpse being 'freed' and the arrival of k'azz/Jan. If he was already free, why hadn't he rejoined the CG sooner?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#13 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

View PostTraveller, on Aug 7 2009, 05:16 PM, said:

I always assumed there was a link between the corpse being 'freed' and the arrival of k'azz/Jan. If he was already free, why hadn't he rejoined the CG sooner?

Maybe because he believed that the CG were firmly under the control of Skinner and Cowl who left him there in the first place, but the truth is i don't know. In the book they dig up the corpse and nothing happens. Then Kallor appears and then runs off, and the group heads back to the boat when 'Jan' shows up, but i can't remember any direct link between those events, as in one caused the other to happen. Maybe K'azz was waiting to see if the CG did wait him back, and Kyle and the others where proof of that him that.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#14 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

never quiet got my head round the dead body and K'azz but i reckon he didnt join the CG before because he was stranded. I think he mentioned that to Kyle but i can't exactly remember so i'm probably wrong.

#15 User is offline   geNESis 

• Jumbo Rice Krispies Square

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I just assumed he's the same way as jaghut and FA that get imprisoned under rocks. They juust need a little water and whatnot.

#16 User is offline   Happy Shaman 

• Sapper

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

@Aptorian I love the idea of them turning out to be a new version of the T'lan Imass...maybe, knowingly or not, their vow was of a similar sort to that of the I'mass. I can't remember, did they talk about the details of their vow? Maybe they were taping into the Tallen Warren? (sp?) If so, I guess some lessons are just lost on some folk :band:
Talking to you, is like clapping with one hand...what is it?

Caught in a mosh!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users