• You cannot reply to this topic

Dresden files comic Apt's dream come true

#1 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:22 AM

so, I dunno if this si old news or not, but apparently, there's now a comic book based on the Dresden files.

saw the first issue of storm front whilst buying books today.

Now, I'm not a comic book person myself, but I know some people here are.

as such, I've decided to let you know, in case you didn't
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • I like cake.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

It is old news. If fact, I am fairly certain someone, or one of the Dabel Bros even has advertised that here.

Storm Front just finished the 4 issue mini series.
http://www.mycomicsh...ch?TID=15489341

There was also an original mini-series titled Welcome to the Jungle.
http://www.mycomicsh...ch?TID=13893441
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Dunno about adverts but i reviewed WTTJ in the original Dresden thread before we forumsplit...

here is the post since we can discuss the comics here now...

View PostAbyss, on Jan 5 2009, 02:26 PM, said:

... I'll block out spoilers after some non-spoiler comments

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE - we all saw what a disaster it was when Dresden was made into a tv show. Seriously, it sucked. Huge. So i was feeling a bit unsteady about the source material being transferred to any other form. I'm pleased to say the Dabel Bros got it right - this was great fun, well illustrated, a solid addition to the story and totally Dresden. Jim was in fine form when he wrote this as a self-contained story. Artist Ardian Syaf gets the characters and Harry and Murphy look just right.

It's a fun, short read, and a nifty graphic novel. Worth getting - if you're pinching pennies but still a Dresden fan, get the softcover when it comes out.

SPOILERS ON SPOILERS SPOILERS
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Spoiler

END SPOILERS

To elaborate slightly on the above, Dresden, more or less pre-STORM FRONT timewise but written by Butcher around WHITE NIGHT so accordingly better. It's self-contained in any event so timeline doesn't matter much.

Harry gets called in to investigate a murder at a zoo. Yes, a zoo. That has lots of big, predatory animals in it. Big predatory animals, with fangs and claws. You can see where this is going... there isn't much in the way of huge unexpected twists, but its solid Dresden and measures better than any of the short anthology stories pre-MEAN STREETS (exception made bcs i haven't read MS yet...). The artist draws a solid action scene and things play out in a totally Dresden way.

I liked this a lot and was totally happy to lay down dollars for it. Then again, i like comics in collected GN form. If you're not a fan of the form, but a Dreshead, i'd still say its worth a look. If you're an illustrated fiction (comics) fan AND a Dresden-head, i think you'll like this too.

I've glanced at the STORM FRONT comic... am going to wait for a collected edition and then consider buying it. I have read this story once, after all, but i'm tempted. No way i buy the monthly floppies tho'. I resent the form and the expense and frankly i think Dabel (and Marvel and everyone else for that matter) puts out a significantly superior product when they street a GN.

- Abyss, ....notes the WTTJ ending is SO perfectly Dresden...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

I liked WTTJ alot. Interesting foreword by JB where he says that he actually think of Dresden as a comics when he writes, and that the way the characters look in WTTJ is very close to how he sees them.

#5 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Just read WTTJ the other day - it's good but not, I thought, anything special. I think it's difficult to get Butcher's wit across from full prose to comic, and it didn't have space to do anything really imaginative or spectacular with the plot. I suppose it is really just a taster to the main plot though.
The art was odd - it's a very '90s style but without the excess and I couldn't get used to seeing women drawn in that style but with actual human proportions... It was also a little stiff in parts, but again, not bad.
I didn't think Murph looked at all right, though. Harry was pretty much dead on though.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Has anyone read Storm Front yet?

I have all 4 comics and can't seem to bring myself to read them, just can get myself interested enough.

Also, has anyone heard any news on if there will be, or when, a third mini will come out?
Google-fu revealed nothing.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

I flipped thru the SF hb a little while ago. Nice actually. Very good adaptation of the book. Arguably overcomes some of the book's slowness.

- Abyss, notes watching Harry sucker-punch Morgan in the face is good fun.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   The_Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi my friends, how are you? I'm happily married now and recently back from my honeymoon and ready to spread the word about great comics/graphic novels. I'm not sure if you know but Brett Booth (Anita Blake) will be continuing the Dresden comics, you can read about it in the link below, some cool pics for you to enjoy as well :) http://www.jimbutche...ic,13741.0.html

For those of you who enjoyed the Dresden Files GN, you might want to check out another one of our graphic novels, Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson Homecoming:
http://www.amazon.co...53656821&sr=1-1

Last but not least you might want to check out Dean Koontz's Christopher Snow: Fear Nothing, enjoy :)
http://www.amazon.co...51774589&sr=1-1

#9 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

Just found WTTJ at the local comics joint yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it.

Will be ordering the Trade of Storm Front for sure.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users