Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Things I should have seen before.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

Doing a slow and steady re-read of Reapers Gale (a chapter a day) and so am taking my time to read all the detail and think about it some more. So two quotes from the first chapters which i was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on espically given the events of TtH and how they might feed into DoD (hence here rather than RG forum).

Quote from Kettle at the end of the second chapter talking about what the dead/trapped ones have told her.
" 'They said the vast wheel is about to turn, one last time, before it closes. It closes, because it has to, because that's how he made it. To tell him all he needs to know. To tell him the truth.'
'Tell who?' Seren asked, scowling in confusion.
'Him, the one who's coming. You'll see'"

Now who do we know who makes things? And wheel's turning don't seem to apply to what happened to him at the end of RG so is there another big machine out there waiting for him?

And a quote about Toc/Grey Swords

'They came seeking a place called the Battlefield of the Gods'

which seems to tie in with Toc's mission at the end of TtH.

Anyway will add more thoughts and snippets of info as I come across them.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

Nice catches...

View PostThe Dark Wanderer, on May 28 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Now who do we know who makes things? And wheel's turning don't seem to apply to what happened to him at the end of RG so is there another big machine out there waiting for him?

Actually there is. We saw it in MT.
(assuming it's the same machine Kettle's ref'ing but that seems likely)

And a quote about Toc/Grey Swords

'They came seeking a place called the Battlefield of the Gods'

which seems to tie in with Toc's mission at the end of TtH.

entirely possible and suggests that the Grey Swords deaths and Toc's eventual death and service to Hood were all supposed to happen.

Btw, when you have two distinct topics like that it's useful to start two distinct threads. Otherwise either the Iccy or the Toc discussion is likely to push out the other.

- Abyss, notes the wheel, in the skyyYYyy keeps on turnin'...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

View PostThe Dark Wanderer, on May 28 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

Doing a slow and steady re-read of Reapers Gale (a chapter a day) and so am taking my time to read all the detail and think about it some more. So two quotes from the first chapters which i was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on espically given the events of TtH and how they might feed into DoD (hence here rather than RG forum).

Quote from Kettle at the end of the second chapter talking about what the dead/trapped ones have told her.
" 'They said the vast wheel is about to turn, one last time, before it closes. It closes, because it has to, because that's how he made it. To tell him all he needs to know. To tell him the truth.'
'Tell who?' Seren asked, scowling in confusion.
'Him, the one who's coming. You'll see'"

Well the descriptions of the machine fragments around Lether were few and short, but regardless of whether they physical wheels were involved or not, I'm still sure this is a reference to Icarium. He mad the machine, he's manipulating one of his machines for the last time, and he's doing it to get memory, in other words for it to tell him the truth.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

id say the wheel ie iccys temporal maps like trulls standing ton in MTi s a weel shaped and it makes sense to be iccy. Duno what its about tho given the machine in TTH isnt it.
Battlefield of the gods is where feners gona o apeshit in the wastelands. His final war

#5 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Wasn't Iccy's machine in Letherii a huge circle? I got the impression that it was like several (I'm thinking 7) spokes of a wheel (kinda like on a bicycle, or a cartwheel). I'm fairly certain Kettle was talking about the machine in Letherii, I mean, it seems fairly obvious to me.

And great catch on the Gods of War thing. It totally ties in to the Herald of Death riding to the Gods of War thing...
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#6 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

When I read it I figured the wheel was just a huge cycle of time.

And I had read the Battlefield of the Gods thing...thought everyone knew it B)
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#7 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

I'd assumed that most people, hence things I should have seen before, but obviously not.

Weird couple of pages yesterday, bit too long to quote so pages 283-286 in the UK Trade edition. About a character Stayandi who I can't link into another story so was wondering if anyone else can?

Also Rud Elalle - same surname as Shurg Elalle, so what's going on there?

if either of the above have been discussed before, yell at my stupidity and point me in the right direction!

#8 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Rud as Shurq's surname because Shurq once said that she had an uncle that was Mekros. Presumably this uncle is the Mekros who kept Rud until the city was destroyed and Menandore brought Rud to the Bentract
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#9 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

Great catches dude. Will think about it

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

View PostThe Dark Wanderer, on Jun 1 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

Weird couple of pages yesterday, bit too long to quote so pages 283-286 in the UK Trade edition. About a character Stayandi who I can't link into another story so was wondering if anyone else can?

If I recall rightly, Stayandi was a Letherii Indebted whose family got fuxxored by Redmask. She fled into the wastelands, and turned feral with the wolves. Eventually she met a Barghast, and followed him east.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on May 31 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

Rud as Shurq's surname because Shurq once said that she had an uncle that was Mekros. Presumably this uncle is the Mekros who kept Rud until the city was destroyed and Menandore brought Rud to the Bentract

Doesnt RUd mean found? SO therefore found Elalle

#12 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

Haha...good one. Should've thought of that.

This means Shurq and Rud are cousins, yes?
Suck it Errant!

#13 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jun 1 2009, 12:27 PM, said:

Haha...good one. Should've thought of that.

This means Shurq and Rud are cousins, yes?

Only by adoption. A meeting between them would be interesting, though. A kid that ages too fast and a woman that will never age again.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

*eyes widen*"She doesn't look dead!"

Kudos to anyone who gets that.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 01 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on May 31 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

Wow, never caught that one either!! Good catch to you too Beauchelain!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#16 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Jun 1 2009, 01:55 PM, said:

Was it Balm that said that?
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#17 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

If I'd have kept reading, I'd have caught the Elalle thing as it's mentioned a few hundred pages after I posted previously. Oh well.........

Also another brillant interweaving and cross-referencing by SE/ICE as Nimander mentions a tale from his childhood of a fisherman rowing into a mountain of ice. (which may have time line issues on how old Nimander is, or possibly just tells us that the Stormriders ahve tried to take Malaz Island before, I'm going with the second one.)

#18 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:14 AM

View PostLister of Smeg, on Jun 2 2009, 02:31 AM, said:

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Jun 1 2009, 01:55 PM, said:

Was it Balm that said that?

No, it was Rud in MT when Pran Chole (?) or whoever tells him Menandore was a dragon, and he goes "she didn't look like a dragon!"

@Dark Wanderer, I would be more inclined to go with the second theory as well, as the Stormriders look to have been around for a long time, and the fisherman had probably had experience dealing with the Stormriders before.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 03 June 2009 - 04:16 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#19 User is offline   presumingpete 

• Corporal

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

this might fall into the crazy theory or already pointed out section but on a re-read of bonehunters in a conversation between cotillion and the dragon Ampelas about eleint and soletaken it mentions ' Olar Ethil's Endless pleadings to bring fire to the world of the imass' now am i crazy or are there not mentions of apsalara trying to steal fire and give it to her people and I think i read somewhere she was imass too. Is apsalara a soletaken dragon? is she now free to steal stuff again?

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

Well apsalar and Olar are two very distinct people, one the ascendant mistress of thieves, the other a soletaken eleint bonecaster, known as the first soletaken, though that claim is doubtful. I guess they just both wanted the imass to have fire, help them break the yoke of the tyrants and all that.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 05 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users