• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Abyss A part of chaos or something different? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

Have no idea where to post this so I chose here.
Just what is the Abyss?? Chaos is described as the area between realms - occassionally abutting them
Zilch on the Abyss. Is it Warren, Realm, Something unique? Nil, Nether, Rellish and a few thousand
Wickans are ridiing through the Abyss so it has land. Yet, it seems to be eating itself as the land is
quickly disappearing behind Rellish. Any explanation is appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

I think it's something akin to the whole concept of the "void" or whatever you want to call it... Nil and Nether are powerful warlocks, which is what I put the land down to.
But it's fairly undefined, as things go in the MBotF. Perhaps it's simply another Warren.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

My opinion:

I've always thought of Chaos as two different things at once. One it's a physical space that functions as a kind of outer space between places, not just the warrens but the worlds and universes as well. Like our space has radiation and extreme conditions like extreme temperatures and vacuums, chaos is filled with its own dangers and powers. The Second thing that Chaos works as is the "warren'ish" aspect of existence, a strange will of its own battling all of creation and the imposition of order because it is its antithesis. In this place the breaking down of creation and the recreation of new things like the elements take place.

The Abyss I think is a place within chaos, or from the description of the place it lies at the bottom of the Abyss. I think it is where things end up when they have no where else to go. Most likely the Abyss is the end of existence, the final resting place of everything.

EDIT: @ Wamp, I changed the title a little. Added some more description making easier to tell the subject matter for future searches.

#4 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

I got the impression that the Abyss was like Tartarus in greek mythology, the great pit that was below every thing else even Hades.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#5 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

Here's how I see it, kind of...

Attached File  abyss.jpg (91.99K)
Number of downloads: 17

I figure the abyss/chaos is the void/space between worlds, and mages can tap into the vast energy found there. Mages can also open portals between worlds/warrens/holds. Or these portals can appear randomly. A sundered realm is just pieces of a broken world/warren/hold drifting around (but they still have gravity). Add to all that lots of magics and other fun of course.

The power/energy found in a world (spiritual magic to the locals), warren or hold is clean (solid) and "easy" to control, while the power/energy found in chaos is... bad.

Doesn't fit exactly, but I like simple models I can wrap my head around :)
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#6 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Quite illustrative :)
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#7 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

View PostLisheo, on May 2 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

I think it's something akin to the whole concept of the "void" or whatever you want to call it... Nil and Nether are powerful warlocks, which is what I put the land down to.
But it's fairly undefined, as things go in the MBotF. Perhaps it's simply another Warren.

Lisheo, right, Nil, Nether and Wickan Warlocks were laying the ground before them; Abyss was
obliterating the ground behind them. Lucky they were very fast

I've always thought of Chaos as two different things at once.

Apt, thanks for changing the title. I got too many hits when I searched just for "Abyss"
Think you nailed it. Abyss and Chaos are two sides of the same coin. Abyss slightly older, I think

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

View PostLisheo, on May 2 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

That scene has always struck me as very The Langoliers like, if you've ever read S. King's novella, or have seen the 2 part movie (blech).

View PostAptorian, on May 2 2009, 06:27 PM, said:

My opinion:

I've always thought of Chaos as two different things at once. One it's a physical space that functions as a kind of outer space between places, not just the warrens but the worlds and universes as well. Like our space has radiation and extreme conditions like extreme temperatures and vacuums, chaos is filled with its own dangers and powers. The Second thing that Chaos works as is the "warren'ish" aspect of existence, a strange will of its own battling all of creation and the imposition of order because it is its antithesis. In this place the breaking down of creation and the recreation of new things like the elements take place.

The Abyss I think is a place within chaos, or from the description of the place it lies at the bottom of the Abyss. I think it is where things end up when they have no where else to go. Most likely the Abyss is the end of existence, the final resting place of everything.

EDIT: @ Wamp, I changed the title a little. Added some more description making easier to tell the subject matter for future searches.

View PostUrb, on May 3 2009, 02:40 AM, said:

Here's how I see it, kind of...

Attachment abyss.jpg

I figure the abyss/chaos is the void/space between worlds, and mages can tap into the vast energy found there. Mages can also open portals between worlds/warrens/holds. Or these portals can appear randomly. A sundered realm is just pieces of a broken world/warren/hold drifting around (but they still have gravity). Add to all that lots of magics and other fun of course.

The power/energy found in a world (spiritual magic to the locals), warren or hold is clean (solid) and "easy" to control, while the power/energy found in chaos is... bad.

Doesn't fit exactly, but I like simple models I can wrap my head around :p

I like a combination of Apt and Urb's theories. That Chaos is the filler between what else is there. Not necessarily a void, but more like something that is anathema to the order presented by worlds, gods, and inhabitants abiding by set structures and rules. The Abyss is kind of the farther most reaches of Chaos, where the truly lost end up.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Pilfer 

• Recruit

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:55 AM

Maybe the Abyss is what chaos was like before it was confined and controlled. It's the "leftovers".

The chaos found in between the Warrens, and what some mages tap (like Hairlock) is an echo of the Abyss, which is chaos in it's natural, unrefined state. The void/oblivion concept works; life itself would be antithesis to the Abyss, thus why it consumes things utterly.

This post has been edited by Pilfer: 04 May 2009 - 01:56 AM

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

I interpret the Abyss as hell or some other place you wouldn't want to find yourself in. Having read somnay characters say "Go to the Abyss" and suchlike, that's what I reckon. However, the gods and ascendants do refer to it in different cadence...so go figure.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Not sure if this will work, but....

Posted Image

This is how *I* think of the Abyss. If the Warrens are the insides of Krul's body, and that Chaos is what surrounds the warrens, there has to be something that surrounds Krul, right? So the Abyss is what's outside of his body. When the Wickans travel through the Abyss, they're going outside of the 'universe' where there is NOTHING.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#12 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

View PostBlend, on May 4 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is how *I* think of the Abyss. If the Warrens are the insides of Krul's body, and that Chaos is what surrounds the warrens, there has to be something that surrounds Krul, right? So the Abyss is what's outside of his body. When the Wickans travel through the Abyss, they're going outside of the 'universe' where there is NOTHING.

i think thats a pretty good representation there of what i envision as the abyss as well
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#13 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

Thanks all for your comments. They were both interessting and informative. I think the Abyss is the oldest sort of like the nothingness before the Big Bang

This post has been edited by Wampyry: 08 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on May 5 2009, 06:25 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on May 4 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

i think thats a pretty good representation there of what i envision as the abyss as well

The Udinaas quote dawnkiller pulled up in the KCCM Matron thread fits this nicely:

'Nothing preceded Darkness,' said Clip, irritation sharpening his pronouncement.

Undinaas shrugged. 'That seems a reasonable enough assertion. But then, is it? After all, Darkness is not just absence of light, is it? Can you have a negative definition like that? But maybe Clip wasn't being nearly so offhand as he sounded just there. "Nothing preceded Darkness." Nothing indeed. True absence, then, of anything. Even Darkness. But wait, where does Chaos fit in? Was that Nothing truly empty, or was it filled with chaos? Was Darkness the imposition of order on chaos? Was it the only imposition of order on chaos? That sounds presumptuous . . . But chaos also produced Fire. It must have, for without Fire there is no Light. One might also say that without Light there is no Dark, and without both there is no Shadow. But Fire needs fuel to burn, so we would need matter of some kind - solids - born of Earth. And Fire needs air, so--'
--RG p.616

The Abyss would be the Nothing, and as he says, filled with chaos

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#15 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

Could the concept of antimatter come into this? Maybe Chaos is the antimatter, that annihilates any matter it comes into contact with, and the Abyss is just a vacuum. Although the fact that there is a floor to the Abyss complicates that idea, instead suggesting something more spatial...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#16 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on May 8 2009, 12:43 AM, said:

Could the concept of antimatter come into this? Maybe Chaos is the antimatter, that annihilates any matter it comes into contact with, and the Abyss is just a vacuum. Although the fact that there is a floor to the Abyss complicates that idea, instead suggesting something more spatial...

Sorry, my original post blew the ground thing. Nether, Nil and the Wickan mages were laying the ground
before them while the Abyss was eating it from behind.

#17 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

View PostWampyry, on May 8 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on May 8 2009, 12:43 AM, said:

Sorry, my original post blew the ground thing. Nether, Nil and the Wickan mages were laying the ground
before them while the Abyss was eating it from behind.

I think he was referring to the floor of the Abyss that Hairlock mentions having been to in GOTM. Though that could just have been an GotMism.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#18 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

its there in TTH too
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#19 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Just thought of something... The 'floor' of the Abyss could be just how people who have been in the Abyss perceive the membrane surrounding another universe, another set of warrens if you will. So maybe the floor of the Abyss is the outer membrane of the CG's world, for example. Who knows, though!

The other possibility I had kicking about in my head is that the Abyss is what's between Chaos and the Warrens. Chaos is constantly mutating and moving, expanding and shrinking, being generally chaotic. So, chaos lives in the Abyss (which would be like a Vaccuum) and the warrens allow humans to live in the real world by closing it off from the chaos that surrounds it.

Discussions about the nature of the warrens are truly interesting!

This post has been edited by Blend: 08 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

The Abyss only function is to house the mythical "SPAR OF THE ANDII" in which the Mules of Darkness live.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users