Brisvegas Aussie, aussie, aussie

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

View PostAssail, on Apr 28 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Apr 28 2009, 12:51 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 27 2009, 08:01 PM, said:

Mr PigDog says we can't go to Melbourne and do the Neighbours tour. I cannot believe it :D

YOU HAVE TO GO ON THAT TOUR!

I think Neighbours may have been the first series of that kind that was televised in Danish TV. Oh, we'd had Dollars and Dynasty, but this series was special.

As a little kid I used to sit and watch it with my mum every night. Their every day problems were so... dramatic!

But so... awesome at the same time!

Question for you Apt, do all the European countries, or atleast the ones you've been to/lived in say 'mum' instead of 'mom', or does it vary?

I have no idea. Generally the teachers in primary school tries to teach us the "Oxford English" type with the snarky pronounciation and favoring brittish words and spellings. But most kids learn english from televison, much if not most of what is televised in Denmark (at least the good stuff) is from America.

I also once lived in a danish school and in africa for a year combined with a bunch of people from some 6 different english speaking countries. When I came back people couldn't tell where I was from! :lol: On top of that I basically just soak up what ever turn of phrase or language quirk that I see people using here.

This is clearly a brittish/australian thread so I just wrote mum.

#22 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 28 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on Apr 28 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Apr 28 2009, 12:51 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 27 2009, 08:01 PM, said:

Mr PigDog says we can't go to Melbourne and do the Neighbours tour. I cannot believe it :D

YOU HAVE TO GO ON THAT TOUR!

I think Neighbours may have been the first series of that kind that was televised in Danish TV. Oh, we'd had Dollars and Dynasty, but this series was special.

As a little kid I used to sit and watch it with my mum every night. Their every day problems were so... dramatic!

But so... awesome at the same time!

Question for you Apt, do all the European countries, or atleast the ones you've been to/lived in say 'mum' instead of 'mom', or does it vary?

I have no idea. Generally the teachers in primary school tries to teach us the "Oxford English" type with the snarky pronounciation and favoring brittish words and spellings. But most kids learn english from televison, much if not most of what is televised in Denmark (at least the good stuff) is from America.

I also once lived in a danish school and in africa for a year combined with a bunch of people from some 6 different english speaking countries. When I came back people couldn't tell where I was from! :lol: On top of that I basically just soak up what ever turn of phrase or language quirk that I see people using here.

This is clearly a brittish/australian thread so I just wrote mum.

Haha right on. I was always curious whether Europe favoured the British English or American English variation of things.
I still heart Goodkind.

#23 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on Apr 28 2009, 01:37 AM, said:

Where is your friend getting married?

What kind of things are you interested in seeing/doing? There is quite a bit. If you wanna go a couple of hours south of Brisbane, there are some fun wine tours. Also is just a nice day trip down that way.

The wedding is in Twin Waters, Mudjimba. Do any of you know it? The bride is an Aussie, the groom is a uni friend of me and Mr PigDog.

I'm not sure what I am interested in seeing/doing in Australia. The whole thing is a bit of a puzzle to me. I'm usually clued up on where I am going before I decide to go there. This is a bit of a bolt out of the blue. I'm not really a beach bum (as you can probably tell from my dazzling white skin in the photos!) or a water baby. I'm a complete city girl. I usually go to look at historical cultural sites as holidays. I can't remember the last time I was on a beach or wore swimwear, literally! So .... erm .... I have no idea!!

You lot have been useful though, thanks! I still just want to go and meet Karl Kennedy on the Neighbours tour :lol:
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#24 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

I remember when I was in 6th form Karl Kennedy played a gig at some pub in London and about 100 people from my year turned up, the look of shock on his face in the photos was brilliant as he received the sort of adulation George Clooney wishes he still got.:D I didnt go as Im not a hormonal teenage girl who watches Neighbours *cough Apt cough*, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Im not sure there's anything of historical value in Australia is there? Apart from family history, I suppose. Any criminal ancestors? I'd like to go and track down what happened to all my cock-er-knee relatives that were sent there, ironically for stealing and conforming to stereotype.

Also, if you've ever had an urge to see 1,000,000 million square miles of empty lifeless desert, you'll never get a better chance.:lol:

#25 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 29 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

What kind of things are you interested in seeing/doing? There is quite a bit. If you wanna go a couple of hours south of Brisbane, there are some fun wine tours. Also is just a nice day trip down that way.

The wedding is in Twin Waters, Mudjimba. Do any of you know it? The bride is an Aussie, the groom is a uni friend of me and Mr PigDog.

I'm not sure what I am interested in seeing/doing in Australia. The whole thing is a bit of a puzzle to me. I'm usually clued up on where I am going before I decide to go there. This is a bit of a bolt out of the blue. I'm not really a beach bum (as you can probably tell from my dazzling white skin in the photos!) or a water baby. I'm a complete city girl. I usually go to look at historical cultural sites as holidays. I can't remember the last time I was on a beach or wore swimwear, literally! So .... erm .... I have no idea!!

You lot have been useful though, thanks! I still just want to go and meet Karl Kennedy on the Neighbours tour :lol:

That you described there is the sunshine coast. Specifically Maroochydoore of the Sunshine coast. Only one beach down is Mooloolaba. Which is one of the nicest beachest on the whole east coast in my completely unbiased opinion. Our family used to holiday to that beach once a year for about 4 or so years. Really nice. Moolooloba is one of the busier ones with better nightlift on the Sunshine Coast probably only second to Noosa, the one Cold Iron showed you.

Its a fairly nice place if you were to spend 2/3 days there.

This post has been edited by Mushroom: 28 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

#26 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:04 AM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on Apr 28 2009, 03:37 PM, said:

I remember when I was in 6th form Karl Kennedy played a gig at some pub in London and about 100 people from my year turned up, the look of shock on his face in the photos was brilliant as he received the sort of adulation George Clooney wishes he still got. :p I didnt go as Im not a hormonal teenage girl who watches Neighbours *cough Apt cough*, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Im not sure there's anything of historical value in Australia is there? Apart from family history, I suppose. Any criminal ancestors? I'd like to go and track down what happened to all my cock-er-knee relatives that were sent there, ironically for stealing and conforming to stereotype.

Also, if you've ever had an urge to see 1,000,000 million square miles of empty lifeless desert, you'll never get a better chance. :lol:

Huge amounts of history. From the pioneers, to the Gold rush, to the old criminals (Ned Kelly and the like) and the aboriginal culture/history and the Rum rebellion and whatnot. There is a huge amount of history in Australia, I've not even TOUCHED the iceberg :D
I still heart Goodkind.

#27 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:17 AM

View PostAssail, on Apr 29 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

Huge amounts of history. From the pioneers, to the Gold rush, to the old criminals (Ned Kelly and the like) and the aboriginal culture/history and the Rum rebellion and whatnot. There is a huge amount of history in Australia, I've not even TOUCHED the iceberg :lol:

You must be joking, there's like 2 19th century buildings in Brisbane, a windmill and a grain store house. There's no Aboriginal rock art sites in the area that I know of and no gold mining towns (as rivative as they are).

Australia is for the natural beauty. If you're not a beach person then you're basically fucked in Queensland because there's not much else to see - but as TT brought up deserts, they are some of the most spectacular places on earth and definately worth experiencing.

Look at this as an opportunity to do something you would not normally do and thus likely never have the opportunity again. Go to the beach. Swim in the water. Wear a bikini and enjoy being half naked with a bunch of other half naked people. Hell find a deserted beach and go au natural. It's not like you'll be doing it in the UK. You might end up blowing the socks off mr. pigdog :D

#28 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:23 AM

View PostCold Iron, on Apr 28 2009, 07:17 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on Apr 29 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

Huge amounts of history. From the pioneers, to the Gold rush, to the old criminals (Ned Kelly and the like) and the aboriginal culture/history and the Rum rebellion and whatnot. There is a huge amount of history in Australia, I've not even TOUCHED the iceberg :lol:

You must be joking, there's like 2 19th century buildings in Brisbane, a windmill and a grain store house. There's no Aboriginal rock art sites in the area that I know of and no gold mining towns (as rivative as they are).

Australia is for the natural beauty. If you're not a beach person then you're basically fucked in Queensland because there's not much else to see - but as TT brought up deserts, they are some of the most spectacular places on earth and definately worth experiencing.

Look at this as an opportunity to do something you would not normally do and thus likely never have the opportunity again. Go to the beach. Swim in the water. Wear a bikini and enjoy being half naked with a bunch of other half naked people. Hell find a deserted beach and go au natural. It's not like you'll be doing it in the UK. You might end up blowing the socks off mr. pigdog :D

Did he say Queensland/Brisbane? He said Australia, Cold Iron. Read the quote before you assume I'm solely talking about QLD or Brissy.
I still heart Goodkind.

#29 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

Um... what's the thread about again?

#30 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:35 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 28 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

Well, as already pointed out, Queensland is really boring aside from the beaches. But you're probably going to have to be going through Sydney on the flights there since no major international flight is going to be going straight to Caines or some-such. Therefore, you can plan to stay in Sydney for a day or two along the way, and it's got plenty of non-beach related stuff (actually, I wouldn't advise swimming anywhere near Sydney...), plenty of cool museums, giant gay-pride parades, various festivals, historic monuments and sites, fancy embassies, etc etc

But don't do the walk-over-the-top-of-the-bridge bit. It's not worth it and bloody expensive (not that I've done it, I'm cheap)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#31 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

Bah Sydney has the finest beaches in the world! Just don't swim in the harbour.

#32 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:43 AM

For historical and cultural stuff Sydney and Melbourne are best I think. If you want to stay in South-East QLD though there are some cool things to see and do that arne't just beaches and theme parks. I have some documents about this stuff at home, did this stuff for 3 years :lol:

You do have to get to a zoo though, Aussie animals are cool!
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#33 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

View PostCold Iron, on Apr 28 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

Um... what's the thread about again?

He made a statement concerning AUSTRALIA, not just QLD or Brisbane, I corrected/answered it. Admit when you were wrong. Cheers.
I still heart Goodkind.

#34 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

He was referring to her usual desire to see historical landmarks in the cities she visits when on holidays. Stay on topic please.

#35 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

View PostCold Iron, on Apr 28 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

He was referring to her usual desire to see historical landmarks in the cities she visits when on holidays. Stay on topic please.

And I suppose you're one to know what he was inferring? Stick to what the guy said and get off my back for answering his question.
I still heart Goodkind.

#36 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

Who is HE??

If you are refering to Mezla.... she is a girl :lol:

#37 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on Apr 28 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

Who is HE??

If you are refering to Mezla.... she is a girl :D

Thelomen Toblerone.

GOD CENTZ, LEARN TO KNOW THIS! :lol:
I still heart Goodkind.

#38 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

I kind of skipped over half the posts when I was reading :p

South Australia was a free colony from the start, no criminal anscestors there!!! However Adelaide is now the serial killer capital.... what does that tell you about the anscentary? :lol:

@Mez: Lucy and Shiara are with me on the matter of kidnapping you :D

#39 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on Apr 28 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

I kind of skipped over half the posts when I was reading :p

South Australia was a free colony from the start, no criminal anscestors there!!! However Adelaide is now the serial killer capital.... what does that tell you about the anscentary? :lol:

@Mez: Lucy and Shiara are with me on the matter of kidnapping you :D

Haha seriously. I love how a country solely built on criminals, pioneers and some settlers has turned into one of the best countries to live in in the world.
I still heart Goodkind.

#40 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 28 2009, 04:01 AM, said:

A friend is getting married on The Sunshine Coast in October and I finally got around to looking into if I was going to go. Turns out it is 90mins north of Brisbane. So, me and Monsieur PigDog are trying to decide what else to plan into a trip if we fly half way around the world. So far we have a rough plan of a week in Oz and a week in Thailand or Vietnam or similar.

I have never really thought about travelling to Australia so don't really have a clue what there is to do there other than the famous landmarks. So, what is there to see and do on that side of the country, Brisbane in particular? Mr PigDog says we can't go to Melbourne and do the Neighbours tour. I cannot believe it :lol:

As a side note, go to Vietnam, it is really cool and fascinating!

You will have to put aside a day for kidnapping. Mr Pigdog can be kidnapped with you too.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users