Malazan Empire: The Pen is Mightier - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Pen is Mightier PnP/Tabletop players unite!

Poll: Your Destiny (10 member(s) have cast votes)

So how do you rock the table tops?

1. Good old pen and paper die rolling RPG. (examples: D&D, World of Darkness) (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. War games, nothing beats strategy. (Examples: Warhammer 40k and Fantasy) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Cards, but you know not those sissy cards my grandma uses. Magic and Munchkin! (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Neither, if I'm not staring at an electronic screen while playing something has gone wrong. (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

So after some confusion in the favourite RPG thread, I was informed that us Pen and Paper (PnP) / Tabetop fans should be posting in the Knoll Barrow.

The Knoll Barrow is an ancient forum, from the far off days of elder times. It's first incarnation and what it continued to be before the last move was to be a Role Playing forum.
By Role-Playing I mean forum based RP not playing D&D and such.
So now that vocation has changed and It's now apparently for PnP nerds like me, so we don't sully the games forum with the eraser scraping of furiously erasing Hit Points.

So I was thinking maybe we could have it moved into the games forum as a subforum to try and give it proper attention.

The Other option is to start using it, profusely.

Either way I want to make sure there are enough of us PnP/Tabletop geeks on here to make sure I'm not some truly Lone Gunman with his +5 Vorpal Holy Sword.

I'm currently running a Sci-fi setting on GURPS.
But I also enjoy Munchkin (the card game) and D&D.

So then how many of you sit around a table with friends and got nuts?
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

IADMAPAPRPGAFNRMPS

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

I am Delorous Menhir and pen and paper role playing games are for...

Nerds?

Lost after that.

I've never played a table-top game. It seems like Warhammer would be the one I played if I did though.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

There's even an RPG for Warhammer 40k now.
It's pretty good.
We spent the last game on a spaceship that had wood for parts of it's spaceframe, and used fire to keep warm. It was very warhammer 40K.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

Warganes. I love them.

We're playing conquest of the empire these days, it's brilliant
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Apr 21 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

Warganes. I love them.

We're playing conquest of the empire these days, it's brilliant

One of my old fellow students had bought a bunch of historical armies and played regularly, I tried contacting him once, never got an answer.

So what armies you got?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 21 2009, 07:27 PM, said:

I am Delorous Menhir and pen and paper role playing games are for...

Nerds?

Lost after that.

I've never played a table-top game. It seems like Warhammer would be the one I played if I did though.

Nerds, Real men play solitaire

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier. Gussy it up however you want, Trebek DW. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man? Because I've ordered devices like that before - wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

Well, I very occasionally play Magic with some friends who own a shitload of cards...=P

That's about it. Otherwise it's either basketball or video games for me.

#10 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on Apr 21 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier. Gussy it up however you want, Trebek DW. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man? Because I've ordered devices like that before - wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.

50$ a pop, which is still more than rule books.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#11 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Used to play/run a couple of RPGs (in order: Spycraft 1.0 (d20), L5R (d10 roll and keep, for over 2 years), a few explorations of World of Darkness). The step from d20 to d10 was a major improvement for my very casual playgroup as it demands far less of the player in terms of remembering the rules surrounding rolls, abilities, feats and levelling.

After that, sessions quickly degenerated by player's consent into team-based hack & slash, where the main storyline worked into each session was discovering the weak points of the end-boss, usually a demon of some kind.
Reason for that: because we were playing so infrequently, for all of us remembering the rules & previous story became too much of a drag to run a full story driven campaign, and for the GM, there's little to do about that.

Nowadays, we run (euro) board games, A&A and live diplomacy when we get together, so i didn't vote in the poll as that option isn't there... although war games come close.

As for the forum...

Even if the sub-forum is moved and more traffic is generated, all I see is a 'my fav system is better than yours' spamfest discussion of the merits of each system, or that 'd20 cannot be used for MBotF rpgs cause SE used GURPS!' stuff, or techicalities on what kind of save you'd need for moranth munitions. AARs usually suck as well, never read a good one... so my prediction is that it would bleed to death within a month.

A discussion & active playing forum for everything usually played on a table (board games, card games, war games, rpg), now that could work... (we have the same kind of subforum for mafia, and starting an online board game requires the same kind of logistics, sign up thread, maybe passwords, frequent communication, etc.)

We might also move the dip games there then, that would provide a steady base of traffic for the new sub forum, and would dedicate the games forum proper to computer games and general banter about games, Sheep, the Death match competitions & other non-standard stuff.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 22 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#12 User is offline   Gavin 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hold on isn't this the forum for discussion and active playing of games etc?
I mean the Game forum is titled: Games for the board.. and bored...fantasy leagues, mafia and more

Surely that covers RPG's as well as Diplomacy etc etc..? Mafia generates so many threads a seperate Sub forum was a good idea.

Regardless maybe its not a bad idea, those Dip games clutter it up this forum a litte but are there any actual other board games or RPG's that would be played in it? I saw something about Risk a month ago I think but that never seemed to go anywhere. You'd probably need a little more than just Diplomacy to bother with a sub forum I imagine.

On the OP, I use to play D&D on a regular basis for quite a while before moving, tried a few other bits of pieces over the years, haven't played for a couple years now though. I have found no Computer RPG's ever comes remotely close to the fun and challenge from the table top game, a living thinking person as the opponent makes all the difference.

If someone wanted to start a forum RPG I'd be all a keen to play depending on what style it is :( Was considering starting one myself at one point, but i'm lazy.

#13 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Risk, Axis and Allies, etc all can be played online, it needs a game leader to set up the game and email adresses to play. I think the will to set such things up withered a bit when Brood left, he was the driving force behind diplomacy as well. Heck, we could even organize chess tournaments if we like :(.

I'd probably join a casual rpg as well (to play, not to DM), so long as I don't have to buy a gazillion pdfs to get up to speed on all the classes other people play or get the cool abilities/feats...
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

The Games forum says it is for "Games for the board.. and bored...fantasy leagues, mafia and more"
The Knoll Barrow is for "RPG related threads only."

Now, the forum was originally, iirc, for online role-playing. However, as Tapper so kindly mentioned above, there is actually a thread in there about Moranth munitions in DnD, adapting Malaz to the PnP setting, etc. So it's deffo for ALL things RPG - online or PnP.
The Games forum, on the other hand, is for board games, computer games, or, now, our forum-based non-RP games (Mafia is kind of RP, but only if you want it to be, and only in a limited fashion, hence why it is Games and not Knoll Barrow).
That's where the distinciton lies. If someone wants to start a few online RP games, like the Inn on ModCraft, that's fine. If someone wants to start discussion of PnP, that's fine too - it's already been going on, and it's not garnering much attention. Perhaps that will change now. :(

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users