• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silandas history

#1 User is offline   sappers to the breach 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

the blackwood ship Silandas

can someone please peice the history of it together for me. i think i have the basic timeline down

tomad gives ship to bindas
karsa kills everyone
gesler and crew take over
ship falls is taken by empire/ 14th army

so when exactly is it sanctioned to trade with drift avalli. that is what is mentioned in the book where we first hear about the Silandas. it went something like" whats the name of the ship"
" the silandas" "oh wow wasnt that the ship that disapered and is cursed" " this is the same ship"

i know it is a horrible paraphrase but you get the idea.
so is this a mistake in my understanding or a mis print or what?
sorry but i spent to much time with the munitions and i lose track of things
Sappers in the breach.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hmm. I wasn't aware that the Silanda was an Edur ship. Don't you rather think it was an Andii ship... or just a Human vessel comandered by Edur/Andii.

#3 User is offline   sappers to the breach 

• Corporal

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

i was under the impression it was edur because of the blackwood it is made from. and if tomad gave it to bindas then how did he get a black wood ship that was santioned to trade with the andii. if that was the case then it would have a theroetical history like

1. someone aquires massive amount of black wood, makes ship.
2. said ship does business with malzan empire, gains reputation.
3. makes its way across world to unknown edur/letharii empire .
4. given to search party falls back into the hands of the malzans
5. heads back over the the edur lands

so it just is not jiving for me.
Sappers in the breach.

#4 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Some thoughts...

1. Silanda was a dromon (or whatever type of ship it was) based out of Drift Avalii and trading with the Malazan Empire. We can assume that it was made by the Andii on Drift Avalii (which presumably had blackwood since it also plays host to the Throne of Shadow... or an incarnation of it... but that's another topic). Another proof that she was from Drift Avalii is in TtH, thus spoilered:
Spoiler

2. She was on her way back to Drift Avalii when Kellanved and Dancer took over Quon (DG, UK MMPB, p.331 as quoted here)... and never heard from again. So she was presumably drifting the warrens a long time.

3. We don't quite know for sure how she ended up in the hands of the Edur and how all the Andii on board got beheaded and stacked... although from what Karsa sees in HoC, we can presume she ran into one of Rhulad's expeditions
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#5 User is offline   sappers to the breach 

• Corporal

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

ok 1. thanks for the real quotes, big help. now after reading them things are much clearer. i am getting the impression that it was not made out of 'blackwood' but it was made out of wood that was just burned black. and the other properties of the ship come from it's time in the warren. thanks
Sappers in the breach.

#6 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Additional point - the timeline of the Silanda is an interesting thread linking a large number of diverse storyline elements - the travels of Felisin's party in DG, Karsa's journey in HoC, the storyline of the Edur in later books. But it is very difficult to reconcile the order these events appear to us with the way they apparently link to the wider flow of events.

In short, the Silanda's history doesn't work too well. It's another illustration of the rule - "timelines do not matter".

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Apr 20 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

Additional point - the timeline of the Silanda is an interesting thread linking a large number of diverse storyline elements - the travels of Felisin's party in DG, Karsa's journey in HoC, the storyline of the Edur in later books. But it is very difficult to reconcile the order these events appear to us with the way they apparently link to the wider flow of events.

In short, the Silanda's history doesn't work too well. It's another illustration of the rule - "timelines do not matter".

Sure it works!

Here's my comprehensive, all-encompassing history of the Silanda:

-Built by Quon Talians (it is a Quon Dromon design, pre-Imperial)
-For whatever reason the Andii on Drift Avalii declare it is the only ship that can visit them
-Trade continues between Quon Tali and Drift Avalii for a while
-Malazan Empire annexes Quon, Silanda is en route to Drift Avalii and doesn't return to now-Malazan territory

(much later)
-Edur fleets in their great search come upon Drift Avalii, battles ensue
-Silanda is captured by Edur in some such battle, they employ old Emurlahn magic on the dead Andii and humans to crew the ship
-Silanda is in the Edur fleet around 7C for a short time
-Tomad (commander of one half of the fleet) gives the ship to Binadas to go find Trull, recently Shorn in the Nascent
-Binadas sails the Silanda into the Nascent

-Karsa Orlong and Torvald Nom board the ship, kill the couple dozen Edur on board, then depart in a dingy
-Gesler and co. come upon the abandoned Silanda, sail it through the Nascent for a while, then into Kurald Thyrllan
-Felisin, Kulp, Heboric and Baudin fall off

-Gesler, Stormy and Truth emerge out of KT with the Silanda on the east coast of 7C
-They sail it to the River Vathar and take on wounded from the Chain of Dogs
-They sail to Aren and deposit the wounded, the Silanda is impounded and the whistle disappears shortly thereafter (Grub has it)

-Pearl and Lostara Yil visit it sitting in Aren's docks
-Admiral Nok's fleet departs Aren and bring the Silanda along (towing it since the whistle is gone), it's a good repository for food since there's no vermin and it won't rot

-Admiral Nok's fleet rendezvous with the 14th north of Y'Ghatan, Grub gives Gesler the whistle, Fiddler, Gesler and Balm's squads commandeer it
-The Silanda continues traveling with the 14th to Malaz City and then to Lether

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

View PostD'rek, on Apr 20 2009, 10:12 PM, said:

Sure it works!

(much later)
-Edur fleets in their great search come upon Drift Avalii, battles ensue
-Silanda is captured by Edur in some such battle, they employ old Emurlahn magic on the dead Andii and humans to crew the ship
-Silanda is in the Edur fleet around 7C for a short time
-Tomad (commander of one half of the fleet) gives the ship to Binadas to go find Trull, recently Shorn in the Nascent
-Binadas sails the Silanda into the Nascent

-Karsa Orlong and Torvald Nom board the ship, kill the couple dozen Edur on board, then depart in a dingy
-Gesler and co. come upon the abandoned Silanda, sail it through the Nascent for a while, then into Kurald Thyrllan

These are the parts that have never really fit - I don't believe that the Edur expansion/Binadas' mission & Karsa's journey through the Nascent occured in this order, when you measure them by other events.

edit - I have a feeling we are discussing Reaper's Gale material here. I'd put it behind a spoiler but it's already repeated many times. Admins, is this ok?

This post has been edited by Dolorous Menhir: 20 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Apr 20 2009, 04:40 PM, said:

edit - I have a feeling we are discussing Reaper's Gale material here. I'd put it behind a spoiler but it's already repeated many times. Admins, is this ok?

Nope, this is all BH and MT (and speculation)...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   sappers to the breach 

• Corporal

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

ok wow d'rek that probablly the best possible answer to my original question. your time line is great. and it makes everything make sence. most of the thing i knew but they just werent falling into place for me. thanks again

kudo's
Sappers in the breach.

#11 User is offline   shirike 

• Recruit

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

This is what confused me - Tomad's discovery of Binadas's death (by getting one of the Kris'nan to search for his soul or something) appears to happen when Karsa is on his way to Lether but Karsa killed Binadas very early in his travels - well before the Raraku Apocalypse.

Another confusing point is the fact Karsa knocks Trull and Onrack over as he departs the cave with his new sword after parting ways with the Unbound Imass and on his way to Jhag.

I've heard reference that the timeline in this series is somewhat screwed up and can only assume the history of the Silanda is the fulcrum for this thought.

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

View Postshirike, on 25 April 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

This is what confused me - Tomad's discovery of Binadas's death (by getting one of the Kris'nan to search for his soul or something) appears to happen when Karsa is on his way to Lether but Karsa killed Binadas very early in his travels - well before the Raraku Apocalypse.

Another confusing point is the fact Karsa knocks Trull and Onrack over as he departs the cave with his new sword after parting ways with the Unbound Imass and on his way to Jhag.

I've heard reference that the timeline in this series is somewhat screwed up and can only assume the history of the Silanda is the fulcrum for this thought.

Tomad discovers Binadas' death because he sees the Silanda amongst Tavore/Nok's fleet. Tomad had commanded Binadas to take the Silanda into the Nascent, and Karsa came upon them and killed them. Tomad doesn't know any of this, and when he sees the Silanda with the Malazan fleet he assumes Malazans killed Binadas. Until that point he didn't even know Binadas was dead.

There's nothing wrong with Karsa knocking Trull and Onrack when he comes out of the cave - Trul and Onrack's sojourn across 7C and Karsa's search to get a Jhag horse occur at the same time (though not necessarily with the same start and end times, of course).

#13 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

I always assumed that Midnight Tides took place well before any of the other books. At least that's how I reconciled any Silanda timeline issues in my mind. *shrugs*
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#14 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Regarding Binadas and the Silanda - it's worth remembering too that the ship was in the Nascent and time works differently in warrens.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users