• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#841 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

I've just been exploring the map and find it a lot more satisfying then getting hints from a guide or looking for walkthroughs on YouTube. It is difficult at lower levels however but once you get to a certain level of badassery you can strut around the country side and clear locations like a true hero.

One particularly satisfying experience for me just exploring was completing the The Legend of Red Eagle quest organically. I first discovered "Rebel's Cairn" where you need a specific weapon to continue through the dungeon. Well I didn't have it so I headed to the nearest locations, cleared those, found the weapon and returned and completed the quest. So much fun.

By the way, has anyone noticed where there are a lot of Draugrs, a Word Wall is usually nearby?

#842 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

http://elderscrolls....com/wiki/Skyrim

#843 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Eh, I seldom bother with hints/guides of any kind with an ES game - I admit, I had to delve online for Morrowind a couple of times, but that game was actually hard, lol - though once I run almost out of things to do (approaching this point in Skyrim, tbh) I tend to browse the quest/unique items lists for something interesting to do if I can't find anything in-game.

But it's a lot more fun to simply explore and run around being badass. Which at least you can do in this game to a point - I agree that being OP'd early on just kills the experience, but I love the feeling of getting stronger, of going back and dealing with things I couldn't deal with before, because I've become more powerful. To the point where, at level 40, the only thing that's moderately a challenge are Elder Dragons. Everything is, as they should be, just fun to kill on the way past. I love running into a level-locked or non-leveled cave filled with bandits. They all jump up to rush me, and I just line up the middle and it's a-one, two, three, four strokes their all down on the ground writhing in fire, myself unscathed, barely even breathing heavily. ;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#844 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

Holy shit! I just found Bthardamz! It's beautiful! Now I have to figure out how to get in there!

This post has been edited by GaystadFlourishHammer: 21 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

#845 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

Dwemer ruin...pretty sure it's tied into one of the Daedric quests, iirc...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#846 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

Elder Dragons? Elder Dragons are bitches. ANCIENT dragons, on the other hand? 100 damage per second breath attack? Toasty warm!

Also I took my first character everywhere I could, did everything I could, and I used a guide I think three times, all right before I finished the main quest to find the last three words I was missing (they turned out to be in either faction plotline-related areas or in the one place with two words in separate areas, damn mazes), and now I'm on a break to stop burnout.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#847 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

With a name like that, how could it not be Dwemer? Daedric quests go all sorts of places. Especially OFF CLIFFS BECAUSE BARBAS HAS NO CONCEPT OF PERSONAL SPACE

Also minor post-main quest spoilers!

Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#848 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

*mourns the loss of Daedric ruins*

All sorts of good fun in those...and you had the joy of being able to distinguish between those and Dwemer ruins by the prevalence of X's, Z's, and unlikely consonant pairings in the Daedric one's names. ;)

Shinrei said:

#849 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

Btfckerz and Sodomizeris.

#850 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

MORE PICTURES OH WOW

Posted Image

Posted Image

#851 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Just made myself a nice 'Soul Stealing' glass bow. With a few items enchanted with even more bow damage, it's easily filling my gems and Black Star with single-shot kills.

Anyone know how to 'invest' in shops? I haven't seen the option anywhere, but I think you can somehow.

Loving the whole 'find a heavy item with useful enchantment on it; break it, learn it, then enchant a bunch of other, nicer stuff with it' method. Might have to start building up whole outfits for specific tasks, like my Alchemy boosting kit.

Btw, does anyone know where I can find a weapon/item with 'fortify enchantment' on it that I can break down? I've been using booster-potions so far, as well as levelling enchant perks.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#852 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

View PostTraveller, on 28 December 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

Just made myself a nice 'Soul Stealing' glass bow. With a few items enchanted with even more bow damage, it's easily filling my gems and Black Star with single-shot kills.

Anyone know how to 'invest' in shops? I haven't seen the option anywhere, but I think you can somehow.

When you reach 70 in speech, you can buy a perk to up a shop keeps gold by 500gp, Reach 100 and you can up them an additional 1000gp....have to tree the perks though.

Loving the whole 'find a heavy item with useful enchantment on it; break it, learn it, then enchant a bunch of other, nicer stuff with it' method. Might have to start building up whole outfits for specific tasks, like my Alchemy boosting kit.

Btw, does anyone know where I can find a weapon/item with 'fortify enchantment' on it that I can break down? I've been using booster-potions so far, as well as levelling enchant perks.

Potions only for "fortify enchantments" ... but you can boost the potions with enchanted items..

#853 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Does it even exist?
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#854 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

View PostTapper, on 28 December 2011 - 01:39 PM, said:

Does it even exist?

Maybe not, no - just asking! Since I've found enchanted items that fortify different skills including alchemy, I just assumed there would be something for enchanting too. I don't really want to have to put points into alchemy perks as well as enchanting if I can avoid it.

I'm now able to enchant items with Damage Health and Fortify Sneak, both of which make standard weapons/clothes into nice expensive loot to sell at very little cost.

@Bubba - cheers for that. I have been making Fortify Enchant potions, but my Alchemy is a bit weak as I've got other Perks trees to invest in.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#855 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

The King of Sweden is at it again - "Army of Children".

#856 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 December 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

What is better armor Blades, Dragon Scale? I know that might be a dumb question but since you can deck your followers out in the new Order Im curious about it.

Probably Dragon Scale, but TBH, if you wait and get yourself some Ebony Ingots and Daedric Hearts then you can make Daedric Armor which I believe is better than both Dragon and definitely Blades and makes you badass in the process, since you have to have 100 smithing and all the smithing perks to make the full set of Dragon Armor (I believe) and if you are maxed out like that then you can make the Daedric Armor be better across the board, and IIRC there is no dragon scale weapon in the dragon scale tree, so you'd have to make Daedric weapon anyways (not positive on that point though). I think the one thing Dragon has over Daedric is that it counts towards both Heavy and Light armor tree's and Daedric only counts to heavy?...though I could be wrong.

At any rate, my Daedric Armor (though not fully maxed out with 100 smithing yet) is fairly badass.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#857 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

How about if you're mainly playing with Light Armor though? If you spend a load of perks on smithing to get Daedric Armor, but all your bonuses are for Light - you'll be worse off, won't you?

So far I've been choosing armor based on weight and how it looks - to the extent that some of the time I'm wearing items of clothing that have enchantments on, solely because they look better! And, if I'm not taking much damage, it doesn't seem to matter that I'm not wearing the heaviest armor in the game.

(My character in Morrowind ended up wearing so many non-matching but powerful items of legendary armor that he looked like a damned clown, as it was all different shiny colours. Ok, I could walk through the air and kill whatever I wanted, but it looked ridiculous).

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

#858 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

The perks like complete set gets 25% bonus are added automatically. Daedric is heavy only and is the best weapon material, Dragon comes in both heavy and light types but no weapons, I can't remember what the best light armour material weapons are, probably glass. I ended up getting the Elven armour perk on my first character to improve their weapons, since I didn't smithspam break the levelling system. I only got about an extra 100% weapon/armour improvement bonus from an alternate set of equippables but it was easily able to more than double base damage and defense at 100 smithing. To the point where I had 900 defense before I hit 100 heavy armour using my random armour set and twohanders, and my brother had that with a matched set of dragon armour and shield. And I only found those, I didn't chain +alchemy gauntlets and +enchant potions to hit the ridiculous 1000 base bow damage heights you can do (all ES games are breakable).

#859 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

Try playing on Master.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#860 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Oh lawd

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic