• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#701 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Well, 45 minutes is long enough for a level 51 Nord murder machine to complete the entire Civil War plotline for the Stormcloaks.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 24 November 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Well, 45 minutes is long enough for a level 51 Nord murder machine to complete the entire Civil War plotline for the Stormcloaks.

I thought you were taking a break Illy. The game is consuming you! :crybaby:
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#703 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Oh, that's the last thing I did in the game, last night. The break is ongoing at the moment, and I have hardly any idea what to play next. Probably not a Bethesda-related game is all I have so far.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#704 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

via: http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/4137782.stm

S Korean dies after games session

Online gaming is treated like a sport in South Korea
A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks.
The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.

The man had not slept properly, and had eaten very little during his marathon session, said police.

Multi-player gaming in South Korea is extremely popular thanks to its fast and widespread broadband network.

Games are televised and professional players are treated, as well as paid, like sports stars.

Professional gamers there attract huge sums in sponsorship and can make more than $100,000 a year.

They are the types of games that completely engross the player. They are not games that you can play for 20 minutes and stop
Professor Mark Griffiths
The man, identified by his family name, Lee, started playing Starcraft on 3 August. He only paused playing to go to the toilet and for short periods of sleep, said the police.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official told the Reuters news agency.

He was taken to hospital following his collapse, but died shortly after, according to the police. It is not known whether he suffered from any previous health conditions.

They added that he had recently been fired from his job because he kept missing work to play computer games.

Small minority

Online computer games are some of the most popular and largest growth areas in interactive entertainment.

Players can easily get immersed and feel compelled to play for hours at a stretch, particuarly in massively multiplayer online role playing games - MMORPGs - in which thousands of gamers play and interact in shared fantasy or science fiction worlds.

Reports of gamers spending 10 to 15 hours a day in front of video games, such as the highly popular World of Warcraft and EverQuest, are becoming more frequent. Experts say gamers should take regular screen breaks.

Psychologist Professor Mark Griffiths, author of several in-depth studies into online gaming and gambling addiction, told the BBC News website that, according to his research, playing excessively was not problematic in any shape or form for the majority of gamers.

He said: "It does seem to be the case that online gaming addiction for a small minority is a real phenomenon and people suffer the same symptoms as traditional addictions.

MMORPGs are social and immersive so require long periods of play
"But the good news is that it is a small minority."

In one detailed survey of 540 gamers, Professor Griffith and his team found that there were four playing more than 80 hours a week, which is considered "excessive".

He explained many people liked to play MMORPGs for long periods of time because of the social aspect of the games.

"They are the types of games that completely engross the player. They are not games that you can play for 20 minutes and stop.

"If you are going to take it seriously, you have to spend time doing it," he said.

But he warned there was a difference between "healthy enthusiasm" and "unhealthy addiction." People who sacrificed jobs, partners and loved ones were considered "extreme players".

Unlike help for traditional addictions, such as gambling, there is very little help for computer game addiction, he said.

"It is not taken seriously yet - it is the same for internet addiction," he said.

He advised anyone worried about gaming addictions should contact their local GP and get referred to a psychologist.

More than 15 million people, or 30% of the population, are registered for online gaming in South Korea. The country also host the annual World Cyber Games.

#705 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Wasnt that like 5 years ago or something?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#706 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Pfft, I spread that 151 hours out over 12 days. I'm fine.

...oh shit.

#707 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

View PostSilencer, on 23 November 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PostStudlock, on 23 November 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

the Stormcloaks are rasict sonvabitches who happen to have a somewhat good cause but are lead by a self severing bastard

I really hope we get an Thalmor expansion, I hate the Thalmor and killed them every chance I got. Haaa time to go finish up the Dark Brotherhood storyline and then finally the main one. This game has ended me, to much to do in it.

Does anyone else notice the problem, here? :admin:

Just sayin'. But yeah, pretty much everyone is stupid in this game. Which is actually a good thing. I'm tired of an obvious "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, and these are the neutral-ish folk you can become the leader of" kinda setup. And heck, SO MUCH BETTER than "hey look, you can join the Mythic Dawn oh no what's that no you can't WE TRICKED YOU LOLOLOLOLOOL" from Oblivion. Not quite in the same segment of the storyline, but at least you do have choices in this one. :crybaby:

I love this aspect, I really do. It's a conflict that's entirely grey not only on the surface, but from a lore perspective; the Thalmor are the ultimate villains for both sides, though, and I'm not sure how to get past that. It's a case of black-vs-grey, certainly; the Aurieliens literally want to kill every living human being and destroy the possibility of humanity ever having existed, thus ending linear time and uncurling the dragon, so they kind of have to be the bad guys to anyone except absolute nihilists. The Jills will mend a Break. The Thalmor want to make the Break the law. The Ninth Era has its Hist-ships and 16th-Dimensional Mathematic Barrages; who is to blame for this? We know the roots of the Hist reach not only to death, but beyond; they war with the Jills. It's hard to see what other group could lead to this. We have not heard the last of Vehk. But hey, if all else fails... the God of Make Way might provide. Could make for an interesting game, albeit one that would be entirely incomprehensible to anything below 9th-dimensional sense. AE PADHOME ALTADOON, and so forth.
The Empire have good intentions, but agreeing to the outlawing of Talos worship is roughly akin to agreeing to universal genocide. They show either startling ignorance or wilful closed-mindedness; either way, they refuse to accept the Mythic in the fucking Aurbis, and if that means the end of their Empire, it's well-deserved. The Cyrodiils have always bowed to the Aurelians, dating back to the Ayleid days. The sons of Skyrim have always been the ones to carry the Mythic, to mantle Shor and bind Nirn to its own Et'Ada, and so they will be again. Alessia, Talos, Pelinal, Wulfharth, goddamn Ysgramor. Shor's sons have always been the Nords. Ulfric knows little, true. But in his blood, he knows this. Any time that man has yielded to the Mer, any time, the North has been called upon to make things right again. The Shezzarine is not a binary state; Ulfric may mantle yet. Or might the Dovakhiin. Certainly, the Dragonborn has always served the Empire, but perhaps it is time for an Empire born anew. As the scribe MK raved, in his blood-words before he was dragged away from the Kuhlmannessiad (before the False-Truths leaking from his spirit mantled KINMUNE):

Lorkhan and his avatars:

1. Wulfharth L
2. Hjalti O
3. Ysmir R
4. Talos K
5. Arctus H
6. Septim A
N

View PostSilencer, on 24 November 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

That is, it seems, a chronic issue with not just Skyrim, but Elder Scrolls games in general. "Untested", "Untried", "New blood", etc, etc...where is the simple check statement to see if this person is actually a newbie or not? Or "Those damn mages in Winterhold are so arrogant!" -> DUDE I AM THE FUCKING ARCH-MAGE WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

Your character has run out of excuses. The ascent to CHIM is nigh. Any fool who mantles the Merethic and refuses to step beyond deserves any mockery he gets. You are the Ruling King; you will come again and again (cf the Sermons). Any who fail to step beyond the threshold of the Arena have failed utterly. Go forth with these words; VEHK AE PADHOME ALTADOON. NU-MANTIA DOVAH.
Take this as your guidance; Old Saarthal was Red Mountain. Resonance is the key.

#708 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Man, you either need to go drinking with Vivec less, or considerably more.

(just be careful he doen't try to get you to bite his milkspear)

#709 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

If the Thu'um is grabbing the cosmos by the throat and telling it how reality should be, Vivec is the sneaky seduction that is far more effective in the long run. HERMA-MORA ALTADOON.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 25 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

#710 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

View PostSilencer, on 24 November 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

View PostLucifer, on 24 November 2011 - 03:44 AM, said:

I'd just like to say that given while I agree with a large portion of what you're saying, you must be a shit head of the Dark Brotherhood. You know the whole thing about not telling people that you belong to an illegal and hated assassin's guild? Especially not telling the FUCKING FIGHTER'S GUILD!
Also, they are the fighter's guild. Do you really think they're going to think you're anymore than a dress wearing sissy in a melee fight if they know you're the Arch-Mage?
You have a point with the dragon slayer though. And it would be great if they called you a dress wearing sissy for being a mage guild member. 'Cause they totally would have, the dicks :admin:

*ahem*

View PostSilencer, on 19 November 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

My LEAST favourite guard saying (because it's ridiculous): "Psst. I know who you are. Hail Sithis!"

I mean...WTF IS UP WITH THAT?!?!??!?! Worst. Assassin. EVER. :crybaby: And they *still* don't let me get away with murder. Those bastards. XD

I rest my case, good sir. The game MAKES you a terrible Listener. What is up with that? :p

And my point is more along the line of accomplishments, anyway. They aren't the "Fighter's Guild" they're "the Companions" and they go around doing quests. They're worried about my efficacy. MY EFFICACY IS NOT IN QUESTION AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME. It stands to reason that, in a stand-up fight, I could WTFpwn them in at least two different ways - that's WITHOUT considering I kill most of my dragons with a frakking Katana. My Arch-Mage abilities pretty much preclude them from being able to touch me, and the amount of pain I can perforce dish out prevents ANYONE from calling me a sissy. The amount of blood I've spilled as a PROFESSIONAL ASSASSIN also thoroughly trounces any notion of sissy-hood (unless we mean sisterhood, in which case, well...XD). And further to that my skills as a profession assassin mean I could cut them all to pieces faster than they can draw their damn swords.
If anyone's arrogance needs to be questioned by townsfolk, it's the fucking Companion's. They're more arrogant than the Thalmor. :p

I did say I agree with you about it being cool if they recognised some of your acheivements.
I was basing how I thought the Companions would be off the usual empire fighter's guild. And by the sounds of it they're not particularly different.
So while I don't think you are (I'm usually at least a bit mage), your mention of their arrogance makes me think they'd call you a sissy for being a mage guild member, or at the very least not be impressed by your mage achievements. I did say recognising the dragon slayer part would be cool.
The game isn't making you a bad Listener, you are. This guard is clearly a liability to your Brotherhood and you just let him be? Let him carry on living and endangering your Brothers? For shame Silencer, for shame :p
And the fighter's guild is usually the arch enemy of the DB as far as groups go. So one shitty Brother is one thing, telling the fighter's guild is on a whole new level.

As stated, recognition of acheivement in game is great, though recognition of acheivement they shouldn't know about annoys me more than lack of recognition.

Also, this was kinda funny:
http://christwire.or...-sex-maneuvers/

EDIT: And this is kinda awesome :p

This post has been edited by Lucifer's Heaven: 25 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#711 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

View PostLucifer, on 25 November 2011 - 12:40 AM, said:

I did say I agree with you about it being cool if they recognised some of your acheivements.
I was basing how I thought the Companions would be off the usual empire fighter's guild. And by the sounds of it they're not particularly different.
So while I don't think you are (I'm usually at least a bit mage), your mention of their arrogance makes me think they'd call you a sissy for being a mage guild member, or at the very least not be impressed by your mage achievements.

Which is completely beside the point. My argument is that while it's understandable to be all "you only managed to do X because you're a mage", they should hardly be "you're useless and untested and new" when I can ASPLODE their precious Jorvaskr with a wave of my hand. In that sense they should be more like, "we know what you can do with magic, let's see how you handle a blade!". Because let's face it, being unimpressed by someone's power-to-achievement ratio is independent of being smart about not insulting a WALKING NUCLEAR BOMB or dismissing their powers as useless. :crybaby:
Besides which, delving into Labyrinthian is a massive achievement no matter HOW you did it. Hence: arrogance on their part.

I did say recognising the dragon slayer part would be cool.
The game isn't making you a bad Listener, you are. This guard is clearly a liability to your Brotherhood and you just let him be? Let him carry on living and endangering your Brothers? For shame Silencer, for shame :admin:

It's not just the one guard. :p I'd have to kill ALL THE GUARDS for this serious security breach to stop! Besides which, they are apparently all Sithis worshippers, so the Void would frown upon me needlessly ending their lives...

And the fighter's guild is usually the arch enemy of the DB as far as groups go. So one shitty Brother is one thing, telling the fighter's guild is on a whole new level.

As stated, recognition of acheivement in game is great, though recognition of acheivement they shouldn't know about annoys me more than lack of recognition.

Right, right. I agree they shouldn't know about me being in the Brotherhood - that's the whole thing that annoys me about the guards making those comments. WTF? *However* it makes sense for them to recognize you as someone who can handle themselves, at least. I fucked up a dragon not a kilometer away from their home base. My point with being the Listener is that I'm sitting there, getting treated like an absolute noob by people whose lives you could end in seconds - quite literally, my duel with the testing guy? Two strokes. With my weakest sword. Granted, it's enchanted fairly heavily and my one-handed skill is very high - BUT THAT IS MY POINT. *Because* I'm assassin extraordinaire, I'm good with a blade. So it is odd that they treat me like I'm nothing. (Once again, though, this is a byproduct of not separating daggers from swords! :p)

It honestly doesn't bother me all that much - it's just a thing I've noticed across all the TES games. I think we're both well agreed that the dialogue is set up purely for new chars, and that this is silly. The rest is just me ranting about reasons why that dialogue comes across as silly based on *my* perspective (i.e. knows all the details) and how they should at least know some of them, and acknowledge that. Even if it was "Hurr durr you're a mage, so what?", it's better than "herp derp you're so new, there's nothing you can do!" which is just stupid.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#712 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:19 AM

Lol. I love how we can have a back and forth disagreement about something while both agreeing on it :crybaby:

I imagine it would be really difficult to pull of the recognition thing really well in such an open non-linear world, but to add a bit of it in shouldn't be too difficult. And it would be nice if they did...

Also, you say that like ending the lives of ALL the guards is a problem? :admin:
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#713 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

You can't kill all the guards, just as you can't kill all the dragons. They just keep spawning!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#714 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Finished the main quest. Is it me, or did that feel... really half-assed?

The final location itself was awesome, though.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 25 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

#715 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 25 November 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

I think the brilliance of Malazan shapes our standards when it comes to fantasy plots, therefor I highly doubt a video/ computer-game will ever live up to our expectations.
If I look back, I am lost.

#716 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Going back a page, the worst offender of the 'not recognizing your achievements' is that bastard court wizard in Whiterun. I'm wearing the goddamn archmages' clothes and he is all like 'if you have an aptitude, you should go to the college!'.

Aptitude? I could light this entire Hall on fire, turning it into a blazing inferno, and the only bastards to survive would be those annoying kids.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#717 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

View PostSylvanShade, on 28 November 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 25 November 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

I think the brilliance of Malazan shapes our standards when it comes to fantasy plots, therefor I highly doubt a video/ computer-game will ever live up to our expectations.

It was certainly an improvement over cheerleading while Sean Bean turned into an awkwardly-animated kung-fu chicken for no reason, but the overall ending... I dunno, it probably sounds hypocritical that I expected a cinematic or something more than
Spoiler

And yes, Paarthunax was Mario. What a strange casting decision.

Still collecting my thoughts on the game overall. At the moment, I'd say if Morrowind was a 10/10 (which it's not, but by way of comparison) and Oblivion/Oblivion With Guns a 4/10, Skyrim is a round 7. It's an improvement over its predecessor in just about every way, but most aspects of the game feel like they needed that little more fleshing-out. It doesn't have any of the utterly unsurpassable flaws of Oblivion, and I simply can't wait to take another character through it with a range of mods in a year or so. Tweaked, expanded and changed up a bit, it has the potentially to be genuinely great.

#718 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

I've considered incinerating that annoying twat a few times myself.

I've got a problem though, which I hope there is some sort of solution for. I sold the mask of that ridiculous dragon priest on top of that mountain. Something starting with a K. Only to realise that the mask is part of a quest of sorts. Is there some way for me to track it down other than checking every single store I could possibly have sold it to?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#719 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 November 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

I've considered incinerating that annoying twat a few times myself.

I've got a problem though, which I hope there is some sort of solution for. I sold the mask of that ridiculous dragon priest on top of that mountain. Something starting with a K. Only to realise that the mask is part of a quest of sorts. Is there some way for me to track it down other than checking every single store I could possibly have sold it to?

Nope, got to find where you sold it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#720 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 November 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Yep if I draw then it gives me the wider view(although not near what it was in general). It just shifted on me though, I was getting a very wide view then bam Im just looking over my right shoulder

Depends what you're playing on, but if you're on the 360, if you hold the right stick button down, you can zoom in or out with the left stick - and unclick the right when you're done. I only really found this out by accident, as I must have pressed it during a fight and ended up zoomed right out.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

31 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users