• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#381 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

I've never played a non dunmer. Don't plan on starting jere either.
Error: Signature not valid

#382 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 16 August 2011 - 02:32 AM, said:

I've never played a non dunmer. Don't plan on starting jere either.

Skyrim will be the first time I play a Dunmer. I went Breton in Daggerfall and Morriwind, and Altmer in Oblivion.

#383 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Skyrim is Nord, through and through. No other options!

I tended to play Dunmer, Imperial and Argonian in the past games. But really I played all races eventually.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#384 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

No point being a caster race now that they've taken out spellmaking. Might as well go Nord fighter and hope that absorbing Arkane means they'll have half-decent melee combat for once.

#385 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

The only choice is a big ugly orc named Icarium.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#386 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 17 August 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

No point being a caster race now that they've taken out spellmaking. Might as well go Nord fighter and hope that absorbing Arkane means they'll have half-decent melee combat for once.

They've taken out spellmaking???? I am disappoint. Still, from what I've seen the spells this time are more varied which is a HUGE improvement.

#387 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostKing Bear, on 17 August 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 17 August 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

They've taken out spellmaking???? I am disappoint. Still, from what I've seen the spells this time are more varied which is a HUGE improvement.

^This.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#388 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 August 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

Ive never played a Nord, Imperial, Redguard, Breton, or Orc lol. Ive played ALOT of playthroughs on these games too. My first character for Skyrim WILL be a Nord though!!!

Man Im dissapointed to, last month or so I put Morrowind in my 360 and it wouldnt let me play the disc..... :p

D:

It used to be backwards compatible! :p

I've tried every race. But to me, 'played' implies a serious character, reaching at least level ten. So that would mean Breton, Altmer, Dunmer, Bosmer, Imperial, Redguard are my 'have played's. Never really got into the Orcs, Nords, Argonians or Khajiit. The others I've played fairly heavily, though. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#389 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

in those terms, I guess I never "played" an Altmer. Just absolutely abhor the bastards.

btw, no starsigns anymore, right? boohoo, I want my Atronach spell absorb :p
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#390 User is offline   Dammon 

• Wizard of West Oz

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

Hmmm, I have both Morrowind and Oblivion. I haven't finished either, I think got decently far in morrowind but something happened and I lost the saved game and never went back.

I've barely played Oblivion though... maybe I should re-install it and give it a go, for some reason the Elder Scrolls games have never really grabbed me despite my love of RPG's.

Same with Fallout 3 which I also have gathering dust somewhere.

Edit: for fail spelling... again

This post has been edited by Dammon: 19 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

*WARNING* May melt when added to water.

#391 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

http://www.dealspwn....lspwn+(Dealspwn)

motherlovers...

#392 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

We-...
I re-...

The problem with reading an old thread through form the beginning is the re are sooo many things to respond to, some of which may be several years old ;)

Man am I looking forward to Skyrim.
The only thing they've announced that has bothered me has been the removal of the stats (and on second thoughts Acrobatics). I get what he's saying about wanting to up magicka so just upping Int, but that's a little oversimplified. It mostly annoyed me because one of the main stats I upped was Speed, I loved being a zippy little bastard. And in Oblivion lots of Will, because I'll take increased mana regen over increased mana every single fucking chance I get. I'm also dissapointed with acrobatics because I loved having my Khajiit be able to leap onto someones roof in a single bound. It just felt so right as a cat person and so cool as a rogue-mage.

Now, to older posts.

Silencer - *slap* ... I don't actually remember what that's fo- oh wait, now I do. While I agree that there should be some lockout stuff between houses and groups you publicly join and support. DO NOT FUCKING LOCK ME OUT OF MAGES GUILD FOR BEING IN THE THIEVES! Not least because unlike many of you I always played very much hybrid classes (I'm quite surprised at how many people played "mage" or "fighter", I always loved that in these games I could make my own damn class), but also, it's the damn thieves guild. The people in the mages guild (or anywhere else) should not know I'm a member, or even the leader, that's retarded. Otherwise why are all these guards just standing there? So what if I have to steal from the mages, they shouldn't know it was me, otherwise I'd be dead meat (in fact having a quest to do that, then having a quest from the mages to find the thief and being able to frame someone you don't like would be AWESOME!)
Bring in skill restrictions (preferably the flexible kind someone mentioned) or missions that I'd only be able to to do as an appropriate member (like that House mansion you could have in Morrowind where the only way between floors was levitating), but don't make it arbitrary lockouts without in game reasons, I'd rather no lockouts.

Gothos - Fuck I loved Risen. Unfortunately I missed G1 and G2, but Risen... One of the best examples of a player skill based combat system with leveling up I've ever encountered. The amount of time I spent trying to kill shit I most certainly shouldn't have been able to... And the way that even at high levels enemies you can thrash will whoop your arse if you just mash buttons...

Silencer - Your passion for these games warms my heart :p

General - I very much played through as Khajiit a lot. And one of the major things that annoyed me in Oblivion is that Khajiit and Argonians walk like normal people! Oh the rage... WHY HAVE A TAIL IF YOU WALK COMPLETELY UPRIGHT ALL THE TIME! For those who don't know the beast races in Morrowind both have tails and walk a little... hunched is the wrong word but best I can do... a little hunched over on the balls of their feet (which used to be a nice human/cat hybrid) with their tails out a bit. It was a nice touch and as I love stealth and the beast races look so awesome sneaking... well it's part of why I went a Khajiit so much :p

For those who liked levitate and the others who whinged about travel in Vivec city - *shakes head* Silly fools. Pants of the Leap Frog :p I made them for my character. I had max acrobatics and the the pants on cast had plus a hundred or so to Jump for like 10 seconds. It's an alteration spell, and much easier/cheaper (in point cost, money was a non-issue I self enchanted) than the spell that increases acrobatics. Best way to travel. You move faster, cheaper than levitate, but unlike the Icarius Flight scrolls it's still a useful amount of jump. You don't overshoot so much, and awesome for getting away from the annoying flyers. One jump got me from the very base to on the roof of a Vivec city pyramid.

Apt - It's okay, I understand the want for unlimited weight carrying capacity. I didn't do it, but hey, whatever makes it fun for you and I sure understand. I stumbled across a rather large rather full Morag Tong lair in Morrowind. Cleared it out, but getting all those suits of their armour back to a city... I had sooo many. I don't even think I ever managed to finish selling them all off :p I did develop a handy strategy of clearing out places then ferrying all the stuff to an entrance or somwhere, then grabbing as much as I could with major Feather spells and doing loads back to town from that point. And what you experienced when you modded it to make everything in game worth something? That's how I played Morrorwind. Had my save not been lost I'm sure no-one in the game other than me and the merchants would own anything XD

Hmmm... not a short post, but most of you have played Morrowind, so one sided conversations as walls of text are no stranger to you :p
*is REALLY looking forward to getting TES V*

EDIT - Also, i'm really liking some of the stuff they've done with the Radiant Story system. The way certain details of quests can be randomised/presonalised (so instead of some random dudes daughter being kidnapped the game picks someone your on good terms with and may have even met the daughter in question, was their example), and the way it points you to dungeons and places you haven't been yet with sidequests.
Also, mention somewhere that when you completely gut a dungeon it get a mark next to it on the map. If it really has that many dungeons this will be extremely useful :p

This post has been edited by Lucifer's Heaven: 15 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#393 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Fuck I loved Risen. Unfortunately I missed G1 and G2, but Risen... One of the best examples of a player skill based combat system with leveling up I've ever encountered.

The internet police don't start cracking down until the games are 10, so you still have a year or two to play G2+NotR before it's illegal. Get to it, it's an amazing game - Risen was my first Gothic as well, and while I loved it, G2 is better in almost every way. One of my favourite ARPGs.

#394 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

I will seriously consider it good sir ;)
Shouldn't be too hard to find a copy.

Also, I just found this, and it made me giggle :p

Now, off to bed :p

#395 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

In case anyone isn't up to date:

The Skyrim footage is segmented throughout the episode. So keep watching even if you think it is over. It is the latest GameTrailersTV episode.

Full Demo Part 1

Full Demo Part 2

Full Demo Part 3
If I look back, I am lost.

#396 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm really tempted to play an Orc - massive visual improvement from the standard greenskin.... But I guess racials are really not going to benefit my regular play style, which is either full out sneak + shoot/stab, or with magic as a secondary discipline.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#397 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

That's alright Tapper, that'll just make it more of a challenge :p

The GTTV thing was cool, some nice stuff in there. And I love the last shot of Skyrim they show :unworthy:

#398 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

View PostTapper, on 24 October 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

I'm really tempted to play an Orc - massive visual improvement from the standard greenskin.... But I guess racials are really not going to benefit my regular play style, which is either full out sneak + shoot/stab, or with magic as a secondary discipline.

Im telling you, Orc named Icarium.

You could do one of the lizard people named the Assassin guy whos name I forget. Or a Redguard named Kalam?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#399 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

I have not been paying attention to this thread...so sorry if it's been discussed.

What are folks' opinion on choice of platform? I played Oblivion on both PC and later PS3 (when my PC died) and can't really decide which I liked better. The inventory interface is clumsy as all hell on the console and the massive fonts are annoying, but when it comes to general combat control, it's just way more fun on a controller than a mouse. I would not be having this inner debate if it weren't for the fact I just seriously upgraded my PC situation...and now have a pretty pimp gaming rig.

I suppose the obvious solution is a gamepad for my PC....but I'm wondering a few other things.

With the console version of Oblivion, I found certain things visually annoying....like how they had AA and the nicer lighting scheme turned on, but did so at the expense of render distance...so when you had those wonderful long views from hillsides north of Chorrol and near Burma (or whatever the mountain town was called)....you could always see the edge of the render distance where the grass/trees just stop. It looked like hell honestly. When I had it on my PC, I could scale back visual items I don't care about (like lighting scheme and AA) to get the longer views looking how they should.

So with my new computron, the graphics card is beefy enough (overclocked 1GB geforce 560 ti), it should be able to handle some very nice settings, while my poor old PS3 hasn't had an upgrade since I bought it in 2007. Where Skyrim is the next generation on top of the original next-gen type games (oblivion) the PS3 was built for, is Skyrim going to be a total visual turd on my console? Has optimization of the PS3's cell processor come far enough that they can make a next-next-gen game look good?

Any pointers to articles on this very thing?

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 25 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#400 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

IMO: get it for the PC. The graphics will be way better and more customizable, as well as you'll have access to mods - and user-created content is one of the most important parts of the Elder Scrolls games. You can always plug a pad in to your PC if you like those controls, but you can't use mods on your PS3 - it's a real no-brainer for me.
Mods, mods, mods!

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

36 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users