• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#341 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

Heimdall, the Nord Guardian, is now level 14, with 100 Strength and Endurance, ramping up Speed, Intelligence and Personality next. He became the Knight of the Imperial Dragon after owning the previous holder in single combat in the Vivec Arena. Switched main weapon from an enchanted dwemer 1h mace to Chrysamere (1-70 chop damage? Really?) and proudly wears the Lord's Mail, as well as the Masque of Clavicus Vile. Has around 90k drakes now despite using paid training extensively. If you need money, just taunt and defeat some Ordinators, their Indoril armor sells for a lot to Creeper!

Dungeons already started featuring atronachs, clannfears, daedroths, dremora lords, winged twilights and golden saints. I think it's time to start fiddling around with grand soulgems and get some constant effect items rolling (FEATHER!). Next in line: House Redoran, then Fighters Guild. Then Imperial Cult. Then the Tribunal Temple. Saving Mages Guild, Thieves Guild and Morag Tong for last.

Since switching to Chrysamere the game got significantly more funny. My Long Blade skill is kinda low still (below 50), so I don't hit stuff often, but when I do it's almost exclusively oneshots. High level Daedra take more, thankfully. Heavy Armor is at 60 now so I guess I need to up that a bit to progress further in House Redoran.
I'm planning to check out the main quest when you have like 20 or 30 reputation and can skip the whole Hortrator/Nerevarine part. I wonder if the Temple will expel me if I'm patriarch.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#342 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Man, I hope they include skill requirements for the different guilds in Skyrim.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#343 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Oh, indeed. I do also hope there's more factions than in Oblivion. And more requirements. Perhaps a different system , though - not, say, one skill at 90 and two at 35, but like 180 points across all favoured skills of a faction, perhaps. Would support versatility more, I think.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#344 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Still disappoint.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#345 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

View PostGothos, on 20 June 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Heimdall, the Nord Guardian, is now level 14, with 100 Strength and Endurance, ramping up Speed, Intelligence and Personality next. He became the Knight of the Imperial Dragon after owning the previous holder in single combat in the Vivec Arena. Switched main weapon from an enchanted dwemer 1h mace to Chrysamere (1-70 chop damage? Really?) and proudly wears the Lord's Mail, as well as the Masque of Clavicus Vile. Has around 90k drakes now despite using paid training extensively. If you need money, just taunt and defeat some Ordinators, their Indoril armor sells for a lot to Creeper!

Dungeons already started featuring atronachs, clannfears, daedroths, dremora lords, winged twilights and golden saints. I think it's time to start fiddling around with grand soulgems and get some constant effect items rolling (FEATHER!). Next in line: House Redoran, then Fighters Guild. Then Imperial Cult. Then the Tribunal Temple. Saving Mages Guild, Thieves Guild and Morag Tong for last.

Since switching to Chrysamere the game got significantly more funny. My Long Blade skill is kinda low still (below 50), so I don't hit stuff often, but when I do it's almost exclusively oneshots. High level Daedra take more, thankfully. Heavy Armor is at 60 now so I guess I need to up that a bit to progress further in House Redoran.
I'm planning to check out the main quest when you have like 20 or 30 reputation and can skip the whole Hortrator/Nerevarine part. I wonder if the Temple will expel me if I'm patriarch.

Man, YOU ARE MAKING ME WANT TO PLAY AGAIN. DAMMIT.

Also, yeah. Chrysamere. IMBA HAX. Also, loving the gear you're rolling. XD See...this is another reason Oblivion disappointed me. WHERE ARE THE UNIQUE ITEMS, DAMMIT?!??!!?

Also, love the fact that there is such a thing as "High level Daedra". Memories...they're made of this...

View PostMorgoth, on 20 June 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Man, I hope they include skill requirements for the different guilds in Skyrim.

Soooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. More guilds, with guild requirements, and MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIPS. Even if not for the guilds, for SOMETHING. However, the guilds are likely to be down to three 'main' guilds - renamed Fighter's and Mage's guilds ('The Companions' and 'The College of Winterhold' respectively) and the Theives Guild. Dark Brotherhood is likely, but unconfirmed - it may be joinable, it may not, but at this stage it's not on the cards as a 'main' guild. WHICH IS PISSING ME OFF.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#346 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Aside from those, I miss the Houses from Morrowind - the political slant of the different Houses was so much more involving then the boring guilds.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#347 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostSilencer, on 20 June 2011 - 10:28 AM, said:

Also, yeah. Chrysamere. IMBA HAX. Also, loving the gear you're rolling. XD See...this is another reason Oblivion disappointed me. WHERE ARE THE UNIQUE ITEMS, DAMMIT?!??!!?

Aye, agreed. Ebony Mail, Bearclaw Helm, gimme more! Also, fuck levelled quest rewards. Thank the Aedra for that quest reward leveller mod for Oblivion - my Chorrol shield doesn't get obsolete after 5 levels anymore!

Soooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. More guilds, with guild requirements, and MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIPS. Even if not for the guilds, for SOMETHING. However, the guilds are likely to be down to three 'main' guilds - renamed Fighter's and Mage's guilds ('The Companions' and 'The College of Winterhold' respectively) and the Theives Guild. Dark Brotherhood is likely, but unconfirmed - it may be joinable, it may not, but at this stage it's not on the cards as a 'main' guild. WHICH IS PISSING ME OFF.

WHAT. Where's my Berserker's Hall? Also, there's civil war - make different aspirants to the throne as factions, vide High Houses of Vvardenfell! Also, some spiritual guys like the ones up on top of that big mountain. AND FUCKING MORE. Also, yes, mutually exclusive memberships please - should be even more than in Morrowind! Because fuck joining both Telvanni and Mages Guild, or both Imperial Cult and Tribunal Temple. And, really, Redoran and Imperial Legion.

View PostKanubis, on 20 June 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Aside from those, I miss the Houses from Morrowind - the political slant of the different Houses was so much more involving then the boring guilds.

Indeed. Though they did have internal power struggles as well, and some guilds actually went toe to toe sometimes - vide Thieves and corrupt parts of Fighters. But yeah, Houses were awesome, something Oblivion seriously lacked.

#348 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Ugh, yeah, levelled quest rewards was a dumbass fucking idea. Everything else in this world levels with you...the 'rewards' are therefore rendered obsolete two levels after you get them. Facepalm.

And as for the whole civil war thing - that's one possibility. They *might* be sacrificing a guild or two in favour of a more fleshed-out main-quest-esque or House-esque system on top of it. They haven't spoken about that yet. But I get the feeling the main quest is going to be fairly basic - Dragonborn all the way, few distractions. Unless it involves unifying the disparate factions...which would be interesting, if only to see how they squeeze it in, plot-wise.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#349 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

View PostSilencer, on 20 June 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Unless it involves unifying the disparate factions...which would be interesting, if only to see how they squeeze it in, plot-wise.

Remember gathering the cities to defend Bruma in Oblivion?

"Oh, noble Dragonborn, as a heroic and upstanding citizen of Skyrim, we would like you to negotiate peace with that Dunmer city over there in order that we can better hold off the draconic hordes"
"Oh, noble Dragonborn, while we understand the necessity of allying against this common foe, we would require a token of goodwill to set aside our grievances"
"Oh, noble Dragonborn, I know just the thing, it's in that painfully stupid dungeon scaled precisely to your level over there"
"NOW WE ARE BROS"
Ultimate battle comes, two Dunmer shout "you n'wah" in the vague direction of the three dragon enemies. One runs into a boulder and stays there, the other walks off a cliff.

Such is life in Tamriel.

#350 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

It's scarily probable and eerily spot on.

#351 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

So, since the last update on Heimdall the Nord Guardian...

He's now level 26. Got Intelligence, Willpower and Personality to 70+, Speed to 60+. He is the leader now in House Redoran and Fighters Guild, the Patriarch of the Temple, an Oracle in the Imperial Cult. Recovered numerous artifacts, pumped up Reputation.
After these sidetracks, went back into the main quest, and after acquiring Moon and Star, he was contacted by the Archcanon of the Temple to go speak with him. Skipping Hortrator and Nerevarine due to his legendary status, he was sent straight to Vivec, who gave him Wraithguard.
Heimdall then proceeded to storm the Red Mountain, slaughtering Ash Vampires, Ascended Sleepers and lesser enemies with ease. It has to be noted that Heimdall became a notorious user of Azura's Star and a Golden Saint poacher, enchanting numerous items with permanent Fortify Strength enchantments. His stats including items at this point were quite high, with Strength above 200, 140 Endurance and 108 Agility. Armed with the Skullcrusher mace and the self-made Immortal ring with permanent Fatigue and Health restoring enchantments, he descended down the wicked hallways of Odrosal and Vemynal and thus acquired Kagrenac's tools: Keening and Sunder. So armed, he descended down into Red Mountain's crater and entered Dagoth Ur's last citadel. None could stand in the Nerevarine's way, and he destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan, and Akulakhan with it, ending Dagoth Ur's nightmare (along with AlmSiVi divinity). Azura has rewarded him upon completion of this task.
After taking up some Morag Tong writs of execution and special duties, Heimdall sold some artifacts he had lying around to the Museum in Mournhold, went back to Vvardenfell, and from the village of Khuul, he took the boat to an island in the north - something thick in the rumours - Solstheim.

Yes, I decided to do Bloodmoon before Tribunal. Not sure if it's the 'right' order at all - I'll roll over anything that I can come across by now. Sunder is such an overpowered weapon. I think it's time to tune up the difficulty slider to the maximum.

#352 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

I can't remember the order. But I do know that if you install them in the wrong order, it fucks up your game. Which I have done. And I am annoyed.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#353 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Steam GOTY edition ftw! Though it did made installing the big overhaul mod package considerably annoying what with all the long paths to files.

Thinking on this again, I might actually do Tribunal first anyway. It's a decent followup to the main quest.

Addendum: I can't stress how awesome and useful the Atronach sign is. Screw all the other signs really, go with Atronach for each and every character. 50pt Spell Absorb OWNS. Not to mention the extended maximum magicka. Stunted magicka is easily fixed with either potions or imperial cult altars. Or summon ancestral ghost.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 30 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

#354 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

There's not really a "right" order, but Tribunal is the one you seem intended to play first; Bloodmoon is higher-level (though nothing in it is as hard as those stupidly overpowered goblins and their 50-70 hitting axes), Tribunal is a direct follow-up to the MQ, and... well, it came out first.

Back when I first played, Tribunal was my favourite. Mournhold is still an awesome city with so much to see and do and so many cool quests, but the main quest... urgh. On replay, I just got really annoyed at how the potential for an intensely intriguing political plotline boiled down to a series of inane fetch quests where the player doesn't just juggle the idiot ball, he repeatedly crams it down his throat.

#355 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

Holy. Shit.

#356 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

OK, in Tribunal there's this lich woman during the Crimson Plague sidequest and... HOLY SHIT. She's harder than Almalexia and Vivec combined. 1-200 pt Fire + 1-200 pt Frost + 1-200 pt Poison damage on each attack. Hit Points? 700 + 100*PlayerLevel... which mean 3600 bloody hit points in my game. That was seriously hard - I wouldn't be able to do it if not for 50pt Absorb from Atronach and 100% Resist Frost from Nord.

#357 Guest_ImpiusMotus_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Somebody say Elder Scrolls? :no
I'm quite the Elder Scrolls adept myself...
I must say, Oblivion on PC is hands down the true Elder Scrolls experience. I played Oblivion on console for a year, and when I got my Alienware PC I discovered the whole other world of advanced performance and the incredibly underrated modding community. It amazes me that people are unaware of the transcendence that is a modded Oblivion. For some visual stimulus, I will show you some of my screenshots as proof of what the modding community can do for Oblivion:
General enhancments 1
General Enhancements 2
Substantial City Enhancments: Bravil in all it's slummy labirynthine glory...
Substantial City Enhancements and Expansions: Bravil
Substantial City Enhancements 2: Bravil
Substantial City Enhancments 3: Leyawiin, Flooded and Dilapidated.
Substantial City Enhancments 4: Imperial City The coloring is dated in this screenshot. Excuse the dullness.
Substanital City Enhancments 5: Arcane University
Enhanced Night Sky and Lighting.
Freedom to Roleplay Anything, Create anything you like
Substanital City Enhancments: Imperial City Arboretum
Increased Immersion, Book Jackets Even the smallest details can be substantial.
Aesthetic Enhancments: Flora and Fauna
Aesthetic Enhancments: Flora Closeup
Life-Like Textures and Dynamic Shadow System Excuse the blurriness, the screenshot doesn't do justice to the product itself...
Completely Overhauled Combat System, COMPLETELY OVERHAULED I threw that claymore.
Improved Nightskies, and Chimney Smoke
Substantial City Enhancements 6: Imperial City Talos Plaza District
Overhauled Magic System All of those summons are my own, this just shows a small change in the magic system, there is actually a lot more to it, and it is all configurable.
Improved Nightskies
Substantial City Enhancements: Cheydinhal
Substantial City Enhancements: Imperial City Market District
Substantial City Enhancements: Imperial City Talos Plaza District, Library! There is a huge library! With hundreds of added books.
Substantial City Enhancements: Imperial City Arboretum
Unique Landscapes 1
Unique Landscapes 2, Improved Water and refelctions.
Roleplaying Freedom You can write in an in game journal!
Unique Landscapes 3
Atmosphereic Immersion, Transparent Windows Now you can actually see out of the windows.
Atmospheric Immersion, Transparent Windows 2
Roleplay Anything 1
Roleplay Anything 2
Roleplay Anything 3
Roleplay Anything 4
Roleplay Anything 5
Roleplay Anything 6
Roleplay Anything 7
Substantial City Enhancements: Arcane Univeristy Entrance The Lighting dwindled in the deliverance of the screenshot...
Atmosphere
Atmosphere 2
Atmosphere 3
Personalization I created this little alchemy study.
Love the Alchemy!
Atmosphere 4
Atmosphere 5
Incredible Companion System It is me sparring with my companion in the Mages Guild basement.
Immersive Extremes: Bathing Yup...
Roleplay Anything 8
Atmosphere 6 Image quality is very dated
Hundreds of new Items: Weapons. Also the ability to use the training dummies.
Interface Overhaul, Imrpoved Immersion
Completely Overhauled and Advanced Alchemy System
Magic Overhaul 1 I flash-froze him...
Magic Overhaul 2 ...then smashed him to pieces.
Life-Like Textures
Immersion I wrote all that up in-game.
Atmosphere 7
Sun Effects
Improved Animations
Life-Like Textures 2
More Violent Violence I threw a knife at this guys leg, he stumbled, and then I used a nearby shovel to beat him dead. Twas very satisfying.
Substantial City Expansions
Heaps of added content
Incredibly Content
Example of content This actually isn't my screenshot.
Impaled This screenshot is extremely dated, as you can see...
Magic Overhaul
Canopy Shadow, and more Combat See my knife in the back of her head...
Whole New Lands
Just plain beautiful Flip this image upside down for a trippy effect
Adventure into Elsweyr! Its all hand crafted and beautiful, too bad I don't have any screenshots of me actually in Elsweyr...
Added Content Anything from werewolf mods to... Just anything okay.
Whole New Campaigns
Substantial City Expansions and Sailable River Ways Yup, you can also sail ships.
Get Creative

Well, I hope I didn't go over board, and I hope the pictures say something :p

And regarding the Morrowind/Oblivion comparison: Morrowind is indeed a lot more unique and it surely captured my heart, but it is silly to claim that it is still better than Oblivion.

#358 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostImpiusMotus, on 06 July 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

And regarding the Morrowind/Oblivion comparison: Morrowind is indeed a lot more unique and it surely captured my heart, but it is silly to claim that it is still better than Oblivion.

RELEASE THE SILENCER!
Really, I can feel a post incoming here :no And quite frankly, why do you say this? What does Oblivion have that is better than in Morrowind (apart from the stealth system, to which I can agree)?

#359 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

If I wasn't in a foreign country, I'd actually bother to repeat the pages and pages of valid arguments for why Oblivion is not as good as (unmodded, even) Morrowind. Alas, I shall just leave that to someone like Gothos. Unless you can provide reasons for why Oblivion is better (don't say graphics, please. That's shallow and not the point of gaming. And don't say mods, because Morrowind has as many quality mods as Oblivion does, despite the larger modding community for Oblivion) there's no point in saying things like that.

After all, the fact that you practically *have* to mod Oblivion to make it last more than 6 months on the enjoyment scale pretty much tells you all you need to know about the experience - it's very action-oriented, less roleplaying is involved. Heck, look at your mod list, lol.

As for mods, that's pretty much a short list you have there. Believe me, I've got a HUGE load-order. Though I often turn most of them off because they honestly don't extend the experience beyond the first use if they're quest-mods. :no Unless I'm starting a new game, of course. :p

Shinrei said:

#360 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Reading this, I feel I've somehow missed out as I only played Oblivion on PS3, and have never played Morrowind. Should I get Skyrim on PC, then?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

35 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users