• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#581 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 November 2011 - 04:58 AM, said:

So how much time has passed inbetween Ob and Sky anyway and who is the current Emp? Ive found no books with the info yet.

I don't recall anyone saying, and the books I have seen are a brief history of the empire that only go up to the end of oblivion and the life of urial spetum VII...

Good question, I finished the game and don't recall. Maybe if you side with the Imp Legion they make you say his name in the oath?

As for how much time, I think someone said 200 years?

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 17 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#582 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

There is a book called The Great War that fills you in on a recent war. The Empire is in REALLY bad shape. Consider that aside from the provinces involved in that war, Black Marsh has left the Empire and occupied Morrowind.

Anyone know if the sword Umbra can be found in the game?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#583 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

200 years since the Oblivion Crisis.
The Emperor is Titus Mede II.

@Obdigore - the last fight was very easy for me. I only drank like 2 healing potions. Marked For Death ftw. Also, Mehrunes Razor.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#584 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostGothos, on 17 November 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

200 years since the Oblivion Crisis.
The Emperor is Titus Mede II.

@Obdigore - the last fight was very easy for me. I only drank like 2 healing potions. Marked For Death ftw. Also, Mehrunes Razor.

Try being a mage with 100 health and having him pretty much shrug off all the fire spells you cast at him. They weren't hitting him hard at all, and his breath attacks and the meteors he was doing were taking off huge chunks of my life, so I was switching over to healing spells and holding that button down :)

I feel like I already have more survivability at level 10 as a 2H orc wearing steel/iron plate than as a level 29 mage with maxed Destro and wearing a mix of plate/cloth.

Also ended up sumoning numerous frost atronachs because they were doing more damage with each hit than my double-fisted fireballs were.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#585 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 16 November 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

Lydia died to the Thalmor fort to the North as soon as I got her. Useless woman.

I've been 'experimenting' a bit with encounters where she and/or the wardog died. To me, it currently very much seems like she can't die from enemy blades/teeth/magic - she then goes to a kneeling position and just sits the encounter out, the dog stands head lowered, not unlike enemies do who are at their last 5-10% health (usually shouting that they'll yield before they get up and try to kill you again).

When she dies, it is usually the result of your own spells/weapons.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#586 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 November 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

How the hell do you guys get the money to do all that crafting?

I've improved my smithing schedule into a (slow) moneymaker. In one of the mines near Whiterun/Windrun/first city you get to (to the north west, underground lair, has a spike pit, I found a tome of Transmutation which turns iron ore into silver ore and silver ore into gold ore.

Buy iron ore (price 5-10, available at all smiths + the general goods store), transmute, transmute, smelt gold (turns 2 iron ore into 1 gold bar) manufacture gold rings, sell them for around 25-30 each (your speech will also level as a result). Your initial investment is multiplied by at least a factor 3. It's just slow, but you can easily transmute while scouting the land.

Once you have a bit of money, find a Damage Stamina weapon, disenchant, stop transmuting iron into gold but make iron daggers instead (1 leather strip, 1 iron ingot) and level enchanting. Damage Stamina is for some reason worth a lot to vendors: around 1.5x more than Soul Trap or damage enchantments - at enchanting 40 and speech 30 (I started over from scratch on tuesday), I get around 250g per dagger using the simplest materials available (petty soul gem, 30g, 60g if bought with soul on board, leather strips - 9g, iron ingot anywhere between 14-18g), making it economically possible to just buy filled soul gems as well for a bit of a speed boost.

When farming, it is important to know that the sale price is reduced by 10% for each gem size lower than common. This makes the above scheme workable with petty soul gems, so the soul of any wolf/mudcrab will do. To boost the effectiveness, you'd ideally also have a bow or weapon with soul trap.

If you're not interested in levelling smithing but want to level enchanting and/or just make extra money from your sales, just enchant every vanilla weapon this way for a tidy profit.

EDIT: like dibs says, if you focus on smithing completely only 3-5 hours are required to get it to near perfection, but the cost can be staggering - I spent in total 16000g on my first character on smithing to speed-level it.
With the above approach, I've paid most of the Whiterun house + furniture from this, have around 5k gold in reserve and have spent around 3k on magical gear to experiment on what enchant makes the most dosh. It also gave me 10 levels out of the 19 I currently have on this character just through Enchanting + Smithing upgrades. It is just boring as heck and a high smithing is not going to help you if you run into anything out to kill you.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 17 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

#587 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

View PostTapper, on 17 November 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Lydia died to the Thalmor fort to the North as soon as I got her. Useless woman.

I've been 'experimenting' a bit with encounters where she and/or the wardog died. To me, it currently very much seems like she can't die from enemy blades/teeth/magic - she then goes to a kneeling position and just sits the encounter out, the dog stands head lowered, not unlike enemies do who are at their last 5-10% health (usually shouting that they'll yield before they get up and try to kill you again).

Yeah, I haven't managed to kill her yet - I just load her with all the loot I can't carry, and when she can't carry anymore I send her home. We've got into a few scraps where I think she was on the verge of dying, but I've always managed to take out her attacker before they finish her off. She's most likely to die in a trap somewhere, she walks right into everything...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#588 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostTraveller, on 17 November 2011 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 17 November 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Yeah, I haven't managed to kill her yet - I just load her with all the loot I can't carry, and when she can't carry anymore I send her home. We've got into a few scraps where I think she was on the verge of dying, but I've always managed to take out her attacker before they finish her off. She's most likely to die in a trap somewhere, she walks right into everything...

I got into a romp with two mammoths - she kindly shot one in the face that I hadn't touched so it didn't go for me. While I needled mine to death (inaccessible rocks are awesome) the other trampled her. She got up, shot again, got trampled again for her trouble... 15 seconds of Lydia crouching, then she got up, started shooting again - the shooting and getting flattened by the mammoth happened over and over until the mammoth went down. If a mammoth doesn't manage to kill her when she is consistently at only 15% of her health or even less, I doubt the game will be able kill her - it's just us who can.

I'll test it some more if I manage find a way to dump her in front of a centurion or something equally tough where I can sit back and watch. If she's also not killed by them - which would make for a very interesting way to break the game :).

This post has been edited by Tapper: 17 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

#589 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

I need to wrap up daedric shrine quest before I start a new char
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#590 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

You know what, this is about the only game I have ever pursued achievements in because I want to experience ALL the content?

GOTY for me, for sure.

#591 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Lydia can die if she doesn't get an opportunity to heal. She died at the hands of the crazy bloke under the meadery. I was devastated.

Possibly a stupid question -- how do you furnish your house?

Also, I need to find me more shouts. Plus, a dragon attacked me in riverwood; that was pretty awesome, then everyone went psycho at me for killing a chicken so I had to run away...

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 17 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#592 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 17 November 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Lydia can die if she doesn't get an opportunity to heal. She died at the hands of the crazy bloke under the meadery. I was devastated.

Possibly a stupid question -- how do you furnish your house?

Also, I need to find me more shouts. Plus, a dragon attacked me in riverwood

You talk to the steward of the jarl in the city you got it from. you pay them a cash per 'furnishment', and then they 'arrange things'.

I got attacked in the mage college, in riften, in dawnstar, and just outside of solitude, close enough that the soldiers at the gate came and helped. I also got attacked in one of the stormcloak camps during the civil war, that dragon died really quick.

If you look at my previous posts, one of the paragraphs is a thing on how to find more words :)

#593 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

You really can get attacked pretty much anywhere - though the dragons don't just spawn where you are, they attack everything in sight. Also, if you're going for one of the graveyards, you can get two dragons at once, which is pretty hard.

#594 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Oh cool, I'll talk to him then.

I did see your post, so I'll start shouting in public and hope that people take an interest.

I wonder if it's bad that I don't want to go out tonight so that I can play skyrim instead...?

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#595 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

I wonder if it's bad that I don't want to go out tonight so that I can play skyrim instead...?

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

#596 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Oh cool, I'll talk to him then.

I did see your post, so I'll start shouting in public and hope that people take an interest.

Depends entirely on what you are doing tonight, if it is just a couple friends, meh screw it. If it is people you have not seen in a while or something you have been looking forward to, Skyrim is like a good lover, she will always be there when you want/need her :)

#597 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

Nah, I do want to go out, only I DO want to play skyrim as well!

Does anyone know where the mine southeast of winterhold is? I was looking for it yesterday but never found it; instead I find a bloke who cured me of a disease I never even knew I had!

The only 'problem' with the game is that there's so much I want to do and I can't decide what order to do it all in! I want to do the DB quests, but I want to get some of the ones I already have out the way first...and I want to level smithing, and I want to level my magery stuff and I want to level my sneak skills and I want to find more shouts and-- OH GOD, SO MUCH CHOICE!

#598 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

The mine is, I think, a bit north from the Black-Briar lodge (saw a mine icon on my compass but didn't go near)

#599 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 17 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Nah, I do want to go out, only I DO want to play skyrim as well!

Does anyone know where the mine southeast of winterhold is? I was looking for it yesterday but never found it; instead I find a bloke who cured me of a disease I never even knew I had!

The only 'problem' with the game is that there's so much I want to do and I can't decide what order to do it all in! I want to do the DB quests, but I want to get some of the ones I already have out the way first...and I want to level smithing, and I want to level my magery stuff and I want to level my sneak skills and I want to find more shouts and-- OH GOD, SO MUCH CHOICE!

Just choose one thing to do, and then go do it. Do some shouts, go see the greybeard leader and get his word thing, then clear up 2 words and then do a couple more misc quests. Level smithing when you some mats to do so, like when you come back from wilderness adventures, spend all the mats you have leveling it, then go sell the rest and move on.

Some mage skills you can completely level up outside of combat, other stuff has to be done to enemies.

#600 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

There's a sprint button? ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Seriously shouldn't have picked up this game, it is consuming all my spare time. Sleep, how I miss thee.

There's Whistling Mine SE of Winterhold, follow the road to the side of the mountains and you should find it, there's a smelter by the roadside and the entrance is only slightly off the track.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

47 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users