• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#561 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

@Silencer - yes. Problem is, I thought I finished that particular quest.

@Kanubis - I'm level 35 right now, hardly "returning later" available! Damn but Dremora in this game hurt (50% fire resist racial ftw)! But the necromancer was a lot, lot worse.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#562 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Hrm. Sounds like it doesn't automatically switch up the furnishings then. Could be considered a glitch, or a deliberate attempt to give Necromancer's a bit of a personal spot? It was something that was kinda missing in vanilla Oblivion, after all.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#563 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

spent an entire evening smithing (well first activated the lover stone to make levelling up faster) and went from a level 40 smith to a level 96 smith all in only a few short hours! now got some legendary orc armor bolstered by heavy armor augment and two epic war axes that make every baddy way to easy. so easy i have started using my bow to make some fights last longer. rocking a legendary dragon mask too that looks frikkin awesome. cant wait to get some dragon armour though.

damn you tapper for getting me started on smithing!!!

#564 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

As a fighter-mage, I'm finding I don't have enough perks to go around - every level-up is wasted just keeping up with my advancing magic skills. Kind of hoping it tapers off so I can get into smithing/enchanting... also kind of regretting taking light armour, since my next character will probably be a sneaker. Ho hum. Definitely a more limited character system, but from a purely gamist point of view, it's probably an improvement; haven't found any hard gamebreaking ways to cheat the system yet.

#565 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Well my initial complaints about the menu system for PC have faded. It really did just take some getting used to. I like the pairing of KB controls, mousewheel and clicking now. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually much quicker than a straight up point-and-click interface. The addition of the favourites menu (which I only figured out how to use yesterday) is pretty damn nice also. I dunno if this is a feature in the console games or if they stick to the 8-way d-pad favourites menu...but the PC version works well.

I've settled on magery with the occasional point spent in warrior skills. I figure I'll work the mage perk trees to the max and maybe toss the occasional perk toward one weapon or other if I find I'm using it a lot. I just can't get over how fun the spellcasting is in Skyrim. Can't wait until I have a bit more power to work with. Sparks just ain't the greatest spell in the book.

I think I'm going to abandon the main quest after I'm done with the Jarl city and strike out for mage school in whatever city it is (can't recall right now). I did the DB questline and the fighters' guild in Oblivion but I never had the patience for doing the mage's guild. While I realize they're different games, might as well try something new.

I just remembered I'm playing on second-from-hardest difficulty too and finding it pretty easy still...even though I'm only lvl 5. Anybody else finding their adventures a little too forgiving? I have no problem sliding up the difficulty bar if that's a common complaint, but if I can expect more resistance in the near future I'll leave it as-is.

What's the deal in Skyrim with the level scaling anyway? More like fallout 3 how it was a blend of char level and advancement in the main questiline?

Also, I am continually stunned by the visual appearance of skyrim. Going to the Jarl's fort out of the mountains the change in environment was striking. Deep western Canadian looking forest with craggy mountains and snow to kind of a windswept grassland straight out of scotland or ireland. The design of the fort with the ruined battlements and the makeshift wooden ones built on top was pretty cool too. Seemed very fitting for a northern outpost somehow and in a very diminutive way conveys a real sense of history and ancient-ness to the environment. It was also the first time I actually got a long view and saw how the game dealt with generation of terrain elements in the distance like trees and grass. You can still see a line where grass stops rendering, but it is kind of a fade now instead of a hard line. As you move forward the grass renders along, but does so in a fading smooth fashion instead of just popping into view. Still not perfect, but waaaaay better than Oblivion.

I was also super impressed with the first few dungeons I went through. Very nice diversity in the interiors now. Gone are the identical spiral staircases, dirt ramps and temple corridors that plagued the dungeons of Oblivion. I'm sure there will be some repetition the more I play but just in the first two Skyrim dungeons I've seen more diversity than I did in the first 50 of Oblivion's underground areas.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#566 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

On dungeons, that's because Bethesda took a look at Piranha Bytes' games and thought "hey, we could hand-place everything instead of using scripts to do our work for us too!". It turned out great. I advise you do the main questline sooner than later btw, you really ought to see Blackmarch.

Some screenshots from Blackmarch. It's a really huge place

this here I got a Dwemer Centurion to fight a Giant. Any bets who won?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#567 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

#568 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

http://achievementhu...3904&v=comments

how to cure vampirism ^

This post has been edited by JLV: 16 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

#569 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

@Gothos,

Cool. Maybe I will spend some more time on the main questiline. I'm sure it takes me to most of the major locations anyway, so I can wait for guild status.

I realized what I like about the interface now and what I had so much trouble with at the outset.

The thing works by basically binding a bunch of different keys to your mouse cursor within the menu interface...which basically extends the number of buttons on your mouse. You have the wheel to go through lists, a left and right click which each do something (like equipping weapons), and then the R, F, E that each perform a different function based on what your mouse is hovering over top of at that moment.

FIVE BUTTON MOUSE. Very clever now that I think of it...and it's perfectly designed for controller navigation, so really no need to overhaul the whole menu when you port. Nice design albeit kinda abnormal.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#570 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

How the hell do you guys get the money to do all that crafting?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#571 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

They need a "GET THE FUCK OUTTA THE DOORWAY LYDIA" command.

@Primateus. I'd go clear 1 or 2 dungeons, then buy all the leather and iron ore i could since they're the cheapest. Make a shitton of leather helmets/bracers and iron daggers. Clear a couple more dungeons...etc...
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#572 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

So does anyone ever use any shouts other than force push? I've noticed a few occasions where fire breath or going ethereal would be useful, but I can't use them, because I'm waiting for force push to recharge and it fulfills every purpose I'd use either of those for.

#573 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Marked For Death on tough opponents I can't hide from. But not much, no. Since I've played a stealther, it's really not much in my profile.

By the way, just finished the main quest. Quite good, though it does lack the complexity and depth of Morrowind's (I'm looking at you, CHIM and Dagoth Ur!)

#574 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 16 November 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

So does anyone ever use any shouts other than force push? I've noticed a few occasions where fire breath or going ethereal would be useful, but I can't use them, because I'm waiting for force push to recharge and it fulfills every purpose I'd use either of those for.

I have a few shouts, the initial push one, a whirlwind speed one, a frost one, a fire breath one, and most recently that last one got pumped up to maximum by finally meeting the Greybeards' master Paarthenax at the top of the throat of the world above High Hrothgar. So I have a fair few shouts now and they come in handy a lot so far. Oh, except that one time I accidentally force push shouted in Whiterun and hit a guard....errr...they don't like that and will just kill you for it outright. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#575 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 November 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

Scroll upthread, I found the unlimited gold glitch.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#576 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

I only got the force shout and that running really fast one.

I've become the leader of the Companions and have cured my werewolf problem - I want to Sovngarde when I die, not run in a forest with Hircine. Now if I can just convince my fiery wife (Aela the Huntress) to do likewise. I'm just happy she isn't commenting on the fact that there is another woman sleeping in our house (Lydia). Btw for those who have progressed further in the game- can you become Thane in more than one city and if so does that mean you get more Housecarls (not following you at the same time of course)?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#577 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 November 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild jobs. Also, plenty of stealing.

#578 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

You're not alone in that. It's probably the most invisible-but-there change that bugs me every so often, 'cuz my character just feels slow and cumbersome sometimes. Ah well, at least we can sprint, I guess.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#579 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

View PostSilencer, on 17 November 2011 - 01:39 AM, said:

Ah well, at least we can sprint, I guess.

Wow.

Well, thats only 40 or so hours of gameplay not knowing i could sprint. :)

Thank you Silencer....
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#580 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:09 AM

Ok a run-down of questions I saw in thread that I don't see being answered from earlier today:

CF, there is a large disparity between random enemies and even random dungeon leaders and quest line end bosses. When they do nothing but cast frost atronachs and ice lance and can 1 shot you, it gets... interesting :p. The mage questline in Winterfell is awesome, and gives you some amazing gear. Be careful though, the fight to get the Staff is extremely difficult unless you Line of Site cheese it.

Level Scaling, the enemies scale like .5 to .75 of a level every time your character levels up. So if you want to feel really overpowered for a while, CF, level up only Destro while doing quests and stuff. I don't believe the level scaling is tied into the main questline, for instance I went from seeing all normal dragons to almost all blood dragons without advancing the main quest at all.

The Favorites on the 360 is nice. I understand you can keybind from your favorites on the PC, with 1-9 being one hand and shift+1-9 being the other, which is nifty.

Shouts I used; the whirlwind speed one, the frost breath, the detect life/undeath, I'm going to try the weapon speed one since I started a melee character. I had 4 shouts completely mastered. Some things I found for learning shouts, 1: The "leader" of the greybeards will direct you to them if you ask him before you meet Pethrolax or w/e his name is. Also, if you go around using your breath in random places, you will get notes from couriers that say 'from a friend' that are 'lol I heard you used breath in (place), some people dont like dragonborn but I want to see you succeed, find the source of power here!' and you get a new misc quest to go get them.

Thane - I was thane in 3 cities, but only got the sexytime Lydia as my housecarl. I'm not sure if it is because I did whiterun first or if that is the only one that gives you one.

Re:Money, infinite money glitches are boring. I had 3 houses which came out upwards of 23k to purchase, not counting having them all decked out, and then had something like 17-18k on my guy without having to use it. I was a mage so had no use for dragon bones/scales, and had my speech up that they were selling for lke 200/150 each. I knew were 6 dragon 'hotspots' were. If you wait like a week in-game, the dragon spots have a new dragon for you :)

Finished the story with my mage. the part where you travel back in time was frustrating to me because the guys kept getting out of position and wandering around attacking the air and not each other until they finally went to where they needed to be to keep the event going. The final fight was nifty. I drank 50+ potions and used numerous scrolls, on normal difficulty.

I started my melee character. I big angry orc named Icarium. Finished the companions line and forgot all about them. Going to have to do theives guild, dark brotherhood, and join the imperial legion this time around :) Looking stuff over, I've been collecting and storing all the metal I get, and doing nothing but making leather armor from idiot animals that attack me in the wild, and my blacksmithing is up to 50+ already, at level 10. Have not even killed my first dragon at the watchtower yet :p

Really enjoying the melee character as opposed to a stand back and nuke. The animations when I sprint to someone and one-shot them are hilarious Edit: Also, killing the coven for the Champions was great. It would zoom way out and show me just hacking the witches into lifeless corpse with my two handed sword :)

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 17 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

37 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users