• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1201 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Morrowind is great, yet flawed. Skyrim is great, yet flawed. Oblivion is greatly flawed.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1202 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Skyrim is good, miles better than Oblivion (which I didn't like that much actually). However the King of the Elder Scrolls remains Morrowind. To me that game defines the entire setting. One of the reasons Oblivion felt flat for me was because it was ... well ... dull to look at after the crazy awesome places in Morrowind.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1203 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, Tiste, don't play Morrowind. It is easily the best game of three, no contest, and one of the best games out there, full stop...but playing it today will mean subjecting yourself to horrendous graphics (though, granted, the sheer oddity of the landscape makes up for that), and awkward as hell combat (though again, there are aspects to that combat which are much deeper [with a bit of imagination] than the hack-and-slash-no-skill combat of the later two) and you probably won't like those parts of it...even if the fact that it actually has depth, a better storyline (scratch that, almost all the storylines in Morrowind are better than those in the sequels...probably helped by the fact that it actually has way more factions and detailed NPCs, but...) you can actually fail/lock yourself out of quests (no character is magically unkillable because god forbid you should want to/accidentally kill an "important" person...) and there is a lot more atmosphere and choices all around.

In other words; don't play Morrowind, because it will ruin the other two for you. :thumbsup: (In fairness, Oblivion, while crap, was fun at the time, and Skyrim is pretty good in its own right, even if a lot of the attempts at returning to some Morrowind-esque aspects are shallow/ruined by other things...and the Dragonborn expansion is, for me, the only part worth playing now. That would be because it adds in the island of Solstheim from the first expansion to Morrowind, though. >.<)

See? I didn't rant. I can restrain myself. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1204 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Actually I did manage to lock myself out of completing a quest in Skyrim not long ago. There's this guy in a dwemer ruin, and I killed him on my way downstairs. Only later was it that I started the DB questline and got to a quest where extra credit would be for doing something special with him. So yeah, I ruined my bonus. Truth be told, though, I still succeeded in the quest.

As for Morrowind graphics.... mods Mods MODS! It can still be beautiful.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1205 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Morrowind Overhaul is a sound and graphics mod compilation with its own installer. It's on version 3.0, and is actually very awesome. If you want to run the thing maxed, you are going to need a beast of a rig. But even scaled back on my system the game is beautiful.

#1206 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

This is true. The Morrowind modding community is still surprisingly(un-?) strong, given the game's age. And they really can do wonders with it, graphically speaking. :thumbsup: But the base game is what most people play, even if mods are (relatively) simple to install and use for the TES games, so yeah... XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1207 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

I've tried playing with Morrowind Overhaul, but a few things have always thrown me off. To start, NPC's default faces are so familiar to me that changing them pulls me out of the experience. Imagine if people you'd known for years suddenly had entirely different faces. Secondly, I actually like Morrowind's "fog of war" or whatever you want to call it. Yeah, it's not all that realistic, but exploring just doesn't feel quite the same when I can see halfway across the map. I'm sure that if I tampered with things I could fix this, however (plus I'd probably be able to run the Mod at top settings with such a short view distance).

I always download the official Morrowind mods. They're not amazing, but they're free and integrate seamlessly into the game. Beyond this, I really enjoy Main Quest Enhancers. This makes the main quest feel more dynamic. Blight beasts (such as Corprus and Ash monsters) will start appearing beyond the Ghostfence, Temples get more populated as time goes on, people gather outside of Tel Fyr, Ghost Gate gets an increasingly large garrison, graffiti gets put on Outlander faction buildings, and Sixth House shrines start to pop up in cities. The mod isn't perfect - some of the graffiti and shrines could be more subtle - but it's very atmospheric and non-intrusive.

Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins completely changes the last three areas of the game. This makes the endgame significantly more difficult, as the places you traverse are much large and filled with a ton of deadly puzzles.

And damn, this reminds me that I still need to complete Tribunal on my current character so that I can check out Sotha Sil Expanded.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#1208 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

I logged so many hours on the xbox version of morrowind that I can't help but agree with you on the fog of war. Just feels right. That said, the overhaul has provided a new experience in of itself (some really nice views, and you never really get just how huge Vivec is until you see it on a clear day). I've played almost as much with the overhaul as vanilla by this point. I enjoy both, one for atmosphere, the other for visuals.

The added mainland of tamriel rebuilt is really interesting too. Lots to see, and I'm told the quests are pretty decent.

#1209 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Ah yes, I forgot to mention Tamriel Rebuilt. I've been following the project for years. The quests fit pretty well within the Morrowind universe, and the actual land design is phenomenal. It's well worth downloading just to tour the landscapes and cities that the modders have built. I can't wait until the project is done, although that's still in the distant future.
~Steven Erikson

#1210 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

On the other hand, Morrowind does have this:

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1211 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 29 May 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

On the other hand, Morrowind does have this:

Ah ha! So this is where that gif I saw that one time was from. Mystery solved.

Also this would be a pretty cool in game monster/threat. Any one every experienced a "mob" that acts like a hydra in other videogames?

#1212 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Tried to upload some screenshots on imgur but failed somehow. Googled overhaul 3.0 for a video instead:

I don't like the trees in this video. You get a choice when installing the overhaul of three different tree styles (vanilla, and two others).

This post has been edited by Trull's son: 29 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

#1213 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think it looks significantly better than Oblivion. One thing that really threw me off about Oblivion was just how uncanny and plastic everything looked, which is weird because I'm usually the last person to give a shit about graphics. Plus the monotony of the game's landscape probably made it seem worse than it was.

Here are some good screenshots I found of Overhaul: http://images.techhi...006827-orig.png

http://kingtoko.file...aul-3-mod-3.jpg

http://www.hcrealms....pictureid=19506

http://i1.minus.com/ibgQzHxHCVkstp.jpg

http://media.moddb.c...ewiev_Image.jpg

http://www10.pic-upl...7olfnjm9jrj.jpg

http://cloud-2.steam...76.resizedimage
~Steven Erikson

#1214 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Also reasons not to play Oblivion:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1215 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

That is true, I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how the outside of the tutorial dungeon looked in the sunshine. At least, before I wandered around and realised THE ENTIRE GAME IS THE SAME THING

Also:

Posted Image

e: Haha, what timing to find this again:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 29 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

#1216 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Well, one of the things you posted Illy is actually part of a reason to DO play Oblivion, namely the Dark Brotherhood storyline, which is awesome.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1217 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Oh come on people, let's not forget about Oblivion modding. It can make all your dreams come true!

Attached File  9948-1190302988.jpg (295.23K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by Hagop: 30 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

#1218 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

While the DB questline in Oblivion is probably the best thing in it, you know what Skyrim has that Oblivion doesn't?

Posted Image

#1219 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

Unfortunately, Bethesda has announced that they're all done. I'm sure there will be a Game of the Year edition out by the end of this year.
~Steven Erikson

#1220 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I remember hearing June I think
Error: Signature not valid

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First