• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1241 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 December 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Morrowind is the shit. I hook my XBOX up every so often just to play it.

I thought you said "Morrowind is shit." and coming after Silencer's impassioned ranting I thought it was hilarious. Now I'm sad that this is not what you said even though if you had said it you'd be wrong.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#1242 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostSilencer, on 15 December 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostStudlock, on 15 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LEI4yS7sFEw

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KHa8c2EPFNY
The second video is overlong and goes off topic a couple times but I find them to be pretty entertaining and a good counter-point to the whole 'TES is being dumb down' thing.

Yes, and I've seen those and responded to them in-depth in the past. The thing is, Morrowind isn't nostalgia goggles for me. I still play it. It's still better. The ONLY thing that could make Morrowind better, would be improving the animations. If the animations reflected what the numbers behind the game were doing, the game would be almost flawless. And indeed, the animations in modern Elder Scrolls games are STILL their biggest flaw. The textures may be better, but the animations are still incredibly simplistic, often awkward, and do little to make the melee combat engaging.
Indeed, Skyrim actually made huge leaps in the area of spell FX. However, in exchange, it truncated the variety of spells and their power down to a laughably small range. The potential that was introduced with things like the basic spray of fire spell, wards, and so forth, was huge. The game as presented at release however never capitalised on that potential, instead underselling it and making wards impractical in a combat context and making the one destruction spell you're likely to use woefully underpowered beyond the early-mid game stage. If they had managed to keep the spell variety while matching the spell FX to the spell name/description, it would have been a true leap forward. Instead it's another massive compromise, that I'm not sure was worth it.

In any case, to address the main thrust of points RE: the dumbing down of the Elder Scrolls games, they fall into one simple category: hand-holding.

1. You now have a quest marker which removes any semblance of navigation or investigation from the game. You do not need to remember where to go, consult the journal, or remember where something is. Ever.

2. While you can toggle that marker in Skyrim, iirc, the writing is now so under-developed as the expectation is for players to blindly follow said marker, that you can no longer actually infer the correct location and task from the quest log or the dialogue. Voice acting is partially to blame. Lazy writing (in both terms of dialogue and supporting text) is the main cause.

3. Character skill is now all but irrelevant to the game. While this is not inherently a "dumber" form of gameplay, and rather a deviation from the series' roots, it is in fact a more simplistic game system - you aim at the enemy, and you are all but guaranteed to land a hit. Many would argue this is an improvement over the DND-style chance-based combat system of Morrowind. I agree, except for the little fact that it renders the game basically not an RPG any more, when it is still billed as such, and that if the animations had matched the mechanics, the older style of game would have been phenomenal. If you could *see* your enemy slide past your thrust, if you could *see* them parry your blade to one side, the combat which is taking place in the numbersphere in Morrowind would have been the most visceral, exhilarating FPS melee combat on the planet. Obviously that was not really achievable for BGS at the time the game was made. However, instead of pursuing the (probably harder) path of bringing those animations to the fore, they chose instead to make the game as a whole easier (nay, almost impossible to lose) and therefore made more mass-market appeal to the "casual" gamer. Great business sense. But definitely "dumbing down" and "taking the easy way out". Nobody complains when the enemy blocks your attack. Nobody would complain when they dodge your blade either. But they DO complain when they can't *see* that in the animations. That's all that Morrowind's combat system lacked. Because it actually included shit like "unarmored" skills - the ability to dodge strikes. Luck. It played a part. The only thing that was good about the change was active blocking. Though skills and attributes should have dictated success, rather than just "hold block to block" (small concession that blocks could be broken, but still a cop-out).

4. Character skills have been removed. You can call it streamlining if you like, but what I call it is simplifying to the point of dumbing down. Axes are the same as Maces? And now SWORDS?! Meanwhile daggers also are apparently no different from swords - rendering stealth characters moot (kudos to Skyrim for the perks...still doesn't make up for the loss of the original and sensible distinction). These things all require different approaches to battle. They make your gameplay distinct. They make your character different. It may make no difference to most people, but to me, it makes sense that just because your character is good with an axe, doesn't mean he's good with a sword. By all means, increase inter-related attributes, or put a percentage of gained skill points into related skills, but don't just throw them together for the sake of laziness/ease of "immersion". Indeed, entire types of weapons and spells (as mentioned) have disappeared from the game. Where are my spears? Halberds. Crossbows got (poorly) added back in via DLC two games later. Meanwhile bows still continue to exist in one generic form. Swords no longer have variety. What happened to Wakizashi, Tanto, Dai-katana? Throwing stars? Darts? These have all been removed for the purpose of reducing choice, for the purpose of making the development time shorter, also, but still - the end result is less complex a game. Less detailed a world. Less investment to be made.

5. Reduction in the number and detail of the factions. There were SO many more guilds and much better quest lines to follow. Even *finding* the assassins' guild in Morrowind was a challenge. And then joining it took more effort. The fact that in order to join the three *opposing* Houses, you had to play three different games, was GOOD. It meant you had to CHOOSE. It meant you had to THINK. While the decision was mostly superficial, it gave MEANING and DEPTH to your character. A wizard might strive to join House Telvanni. While a Warrior might desire to join the ranks of the Redoran. Indeed, you used to have to BE A MAGE to join the FUCKING MAGES GUILD. Now I can become the Hood-damned Archmage while knowing NO MAGIC. This is illogical. This is immersion breaking. This...this is making the game easier so that "casual" players can play the game in five minutes, instead of one hundred hours. THAT, that is dumbing down. By all means, make the GAME more accessible to more players. That's great. I want more people to experience this awesome world. But for the love of God, don't destroy that world, that experience, to cater to the lowest common denominator!

6. Hundreds of unkillable NCPs. No, you cannot kill him. Why not? Because doing so might end your quest! HELLO HANDHOLDING. HELLO OVERSIMPLIFICATION. Hello treating me like a simpleton who can't make his own choices and live with them. Hello, "dumbing down". Meanwhile, the world is overpopulated with bandits relative to the number of regular folk. Heck, Oblivion had far more GUARDS than it had regular folk, never mind the endless bandit hordes. Bandits who can possess DAEDRIC weaponry. Items once so distinct, there was but one full set on the entire Island of Vvardenfell. Or rare items so rare, so powerful, you had to kill or reverse pickpocket one of the most powerful Telvanni Wizard Lords (no easy task!), only to THEN fight a Dremora Lord (unlevelled - he would wipe the floor with your wussy rogue character, or underskilled anything character) to gain it? Never mind, there are limitless supplies of Daedric weapons and armour in Oblivion and Skyrim...but ONLY once you become level 50. Before that they basically don't exist. For no discernible, in-game reason.
Which ties into the fact that the game is made further hard to lose, by scaling enemies so that they aren't too much of a challenge for you. Why? To make the game EASIER. To make it impossible to fail. To make it SIMPLER. No fight too hard, no odds too long. Alduin? HAH. Vivec could have taken him one hand tied behind his back.
Which reminds me. The population levels of Vvardenfell's scattered cities made sense. It was an ISLAND. To have practically LESS people in the IMPERIAL HEARTLAND makes NO SENSE. And they can claim they made the map bigger all they want to - that doesn't reduce the fact that walking from one side of Cyrodiil to the other is both easier (as in; no threat, even, or ESPECIALLY, at level fucking one) and takes less time! And that's without making fast-travel (an unquestionable "dumbed down" system) a thing. People who complained that Morrowind took too long to walk across - they had fast travel. It just COST MONEY. And you had to find a Mages Guild or Silt Strider or Boat to get to use it. It was REALISTIC. It was INVOLVING. And it MADE SENSE. You could skip out part of your journey - but not all of it, if you weren't getting to a major location. This meant you had to PLAN. Take RISKS. Spend time and effort.

Now, I shall not deny that Oblivion is prettier than Morrowind. Or that voice acting makes some things so, SO much cooler. (Lucien Lachance, anyone?) Nor shall I deny that Skyrim is in almost every way a superior game to Oblivion. Or indeed, that by volume of sales, they are both "more popular" than Morrowind. And I'll admit that Dragons were cool (though underpowered, and they are slightly too frequent for logic to accept). Both Skyrim and Oblivion had their moments. And yes, the games were easier to get into than their predecessor. The games were, in fact, easier in every single way, than their predecessor. They were so easy, levelling up was the only way to make the games HARDER (wait, that's not how that should work, right?). They removed more features than they added. They removed guilds, and skills, and attributes, and spells, and entire schools of magick, and classes and types of weapons, and...well, you get the point.

This is good business design. It makes the games more accessible, and it makes them sell better. That is not necessarily the same thing as making them "better games". Popularity, after all, would suggest that Twilight is a good movie. Indeed, if I start leaving structural walls out of my buildings, because the aesthetics it creates or allows makes the building sell better, one would not call that "good architectural design", or "good engineering". Any more than I'd call the decisions made for TES games post-Morrowind "good game design".

And, indeed, it is true. Every argument I've used against Skyrim and Oblivion can almost be applied to Morrowind compared to Daggerfall and Arena. Indeed, I am a Morrowind fanboy. However, the thing is...Morrowind brought the series to 3D. It brought the series into the realm where you didn't have to use your mind to imagine *all* the world, any more. It changed the game in such a fundamental way, that what was lost, was *worth it*. What has Oblivion or Skyrim done in exchange for their dumbing down sacrifices? Voice acting? Pretty textures? Are those...really worth it? Are they really worth losing the magic that made Morrowind so detailed? So mystical, and yet somehow so real? Voice acting, we can all agree, was not great in Oblivion. It was better in Skyrim, but not stellar. And the budget which goes towards it is disproportionate to its rewards. The pretty textures are hardly the difference between 2D and 3D. Indeed, on consoles, the market for which a considerable number of these concessions have been made (though with the caveat; only because of the graphics upgrades as well), there is not that large of a change between Oblivion and Skyrim. Sure, it's there, and when you plop them side-by-side, it shows. Or when you first fire it up, it stuns, even. But after a week, or a month...ten new games have released, the graphics are now outdated, or you're used to them, or you're noticing that hey, they don't hold up to scrutiny on a 50" LED when you're less than five meters away.

Is it really worth it? Could we not sacrifice at least *some* of those shiny, feelgood, overpriced, overfocused, "features", so that the games can have their DEPTH back? Their meaning? Choices, and consequences? Would you not all prefer a game with stellar animations, but slightly outdated graphics? A game where crafting your own character took a bit of care? Required decisions - REAL decisions, like what skills to train, or guilds to join - rather than just being able to click click click and thus slash your way through what should be dramatic, difficult encounters? Does not rising to the top of the Mages Guild while never casting more than a single spell feel WRONG, to all of you?

That, my friends, is the dumbing down of the Elder Scrolls series. And lo, those of you who started on Oblivion probably cannot stomach Morrowind's combat, or its graphics, or the endless walking. And that's fine. I don't judge you the worse for it. I feel like you've missed out on something great - something I wish you could have shared in. But I say to you: rose-tinted glasses only do so much. If Bethesda ever truly pulls out all the stops once more, if they take a gamble, and make a game which fixes Morrowind's greatest and only flaw, and presents you with a fully realized, detailed, next-gen-prettified, properly animated RPG which is otherwise like Morrowind...then, perhaps, you will realize how low a point in the series Oblivion was. Perhaps you will even realize why I maintain to this day, that Morrowind is in every way bar graphics and smoothness of animations, a superior game to both Oblivion and Skyrim. Because you'll get lost in that world. You'll sink into it, not for days, or even months, but for YEARS. And more than a DECADE after you've sunk hundreds of hours into the game, you will still think of it fondly, as the peak of a great series.

Yes, a GREAT SERIES. For I say this most every time I have this little rant. I do not dislike Oblivion. I don't even think it's a bad game. Skyrim, indeed, is a great game. But neither are what they could have been...SHOULD have been. Neither can rightfully claim to have improved on Morrowind in more than a couple of areas. And that...that is the tragedy. That is what I rail against. That is why I rant and rave and carry on. Because I want the series to be all that it should be. All that it could be. I wanted them, more than you can know, to be THAT GAME. The one which stole the crown. Blew me away. Fixed what was wrong, made better what was right. Because I want everyone to be able to have that experience. That experience of a game which is almost perfect, for what it is meant to be. Morrowind is still the closest, in terms of number of parts which are RIGHT, to being that game.

/end rant.

Do you have a document from which you copy this rant every other month or so? :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1243 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 16 December 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

The second video is overlong and goes off topic a couple times but I find them to be pretty entertaining and a good counter-point to the whole 'TES is being dumb down' thing.

Yes, and I've seen those and responded to them in-depth in the past. The thing is, Morrowind isn't nostalgia goggles for me. I still play it. It's still better. The ONLY thing that could make Morrowind better, would be improving the animations. If the animations reflected what the numbers behind the game were doing, the game would be almost flawless. And indeed, the animations in modern Elder Scrolls games are STILL their biggest flaw. The textures may be better, but the animations are still incredibly simplistic, often awkward, and do little to make the melee combat engaging.
Indeed, Skyrim actually made huge leaps in the area of spell FX. However, in exchange, it truncated the variety of spells and their power down to a laughably small range. The potential that was introduced with things like the basic spray of fire spell, wards, and so forth, was huge. The game as presented at release however never capitalised on that potential, instead underselling it and making wards impractical in a combat context and making the one destruction spell you're likely to use woefully underpowered beyond the early-mid game stage. If they had managed to keep the spell variety while matching the spell FX to the spell name/description, it would have been a true leap forward. Instead it's another massive compromise, that I'm not sure was worth it.

In any case, to address the main thrust of points RE: the dumbing down of the Elder Scrolls games, they fall into one simple category: hand-holding.

1. You now have a quest marker which removes any semblance of navigation or investigation from the game. You do not need to remember where to go, consult the journal, or remember where something is. Ever.

2. While you can toggle that marker in Skyrim, iirc, the writing is now so under-developed as the expectation is for players to blindly follow said marker, that you can no longer actually infer the correct location and task from the quest log or the dialogue. Voice acting is partially to blame. Lazy writing (in both terms of dialogue and supporting text) is the main cause.

3. Character skill is now all but irrelevant to the game. While this is not inherently a "dumber" form of gameplay, and rather a deviation from the series' roots, it is in fact a more simplistic game system - you aim at the enemy, and you are all but guaranteed to land a hit. Many would argue this is an improvement over the DND-style chance-based combat system of Morrowind. I agree, except for the little fact that it renders the game basically not an RPG any more, when it is still billed as such, and that if the animations had matched the mechanics, the older style of game would have been phenomenal. If you could *see* your enemy slide past your thrust, if you could *see* them parry your blade to one side, the combat which is taking place in the numbersphere in Morrowind would have been the most visceral, exhilarating FPS melee combat on the planet. Obviously that was not really achievable for BGS at the time the game was made. However, instead of pursuing the (probably harder) path of bringing those animations to the fore, they chose instead to make the game as a whole easier (nay, almost impossible to lose) and therefore made more mass-market appeal to the "casual" gamer. Great business sense. But definitely "dumbing down" and "taking the easy way out". Nobody complains when the enemy blocks your attack. Nobody would complain when they dodge your blade either. But they DO complain when they can't *see* that in the animations. That's all that Morrowind's combat system lacked. Because it actually included shit like "unarmored" skills - the ability to dodge strikes. Luck. It played a part. The only thing that was good about the change was active blocking. Though skills and attributes should have dictated success, rather than just "hold block to block" (small concession that blocks could be broken, but still a cop-out).

4. Character skills have been removed. You can call it streamlining if you like, but what I call it is simplifying to the point of dumbing down. Axes are the same as Maces? And now SWORDS?! Meanwhile daggers also are apparently no different from swords - rendering stealth characters moot (kudos to Skyrim for the perks...still doesn't make up for the loss of the original and sensible distinction). These things all require different approaches to battle. They make your gameplay distinct. They make your character different. It may make no difference to most people, but to me, it makes sense that just because your character is good with an axe, doesn't mean he's good with a sword. By all means, increase inter-related attributes, or put a percentage of gained skill points into related skills, but don't just throw them together for the sake of laziness/ease of "immersion". Indeed, entire types of weapons and spells (as mentioned) have disappeared from the game. Where are my spears? Halberds. Crossbows got (poorly) added back in via DLC two games later. Meanwhile bows still continue to exist in one generic form. Swords no longer have variety. What happened to Wakizashi, Tanto, Dai-katana? Throwing stars? Darts? These have all been removed for the purpose of reducing choice, for the purpose of making the development time shorter, also, but still - the end result is less complex a game. Less detailed a world. Less investment to be made.

5. Reduction in the number and detail of the factions. There were SO many more guilds and much better quest lines to follow. Even *finding* the assassins' guild in Morrowind was a challenge. And then joining it took more effort. The fact that in order to join the three *opposing* Houses, you had to play three different games, was GOOD. It meant you had to CHOOSE. It meant you had to THINK. While the decision was mostly superficial, it gave MEANING and DEPTH to your character. A wizard might strive to join House Telvanni. While a Warrior might desire to join the ranks of the Redoran. Indeed, you used to have to BE A MAGE to join the FUCKING MAGES GUILD. Now I can become the Hood-damned Archmage while knowing NO MAGIC. This is illogical. This is immersion breaking. This...this is making the game easier so that "casual" players can play the game in five minutes, instead of one hundred hours. THAT, that is dumbing down. By all means, make the GAME more accessible to more players. That's great. I want more people to experience this awesome world. But for the love of God, don't destroy that world, that experience, to cater to the lowest common denominator!

6. Hundreds of unkillable NCPs. No, you cannot kill him. Why not? Because doing so might end your quest! HELLO HANDHOLDING. HELLO OVERSIMPLIFICATION. Hello treating me like a simpleton who can't make his own choices and live with them. Hello, "dumbing down". Meanwhile, the world is overpopulated with bandits relative to the number of regular folk. Heck, Oblivion had far more GUARDS than it had regular folk, never mind the endless bandit hordes. Bandits who can possess DAEDRIC weaponry. Items once so distinct, there was but one full set on the entire Island of Vvardenfell. Or rare items so rare, so powerful, you had to kill or reverse pickpocket one of the most powerful Telvanni Wizard Lords (no easy task!), only to THEN fight a Dremora Lord (unlevelled - he would wipe the floor with your wussy rogue character, or underskilled anything character) to gain it? Never mind, there are limitless supplies of Daedric weapons and armour in Oblivion and Skyrim...but ONLY once you become level 50. Before that they basically don't exist. For no discernible, in-game reason.
Which ties into the fact that the game is made further hard to lose, by scaling enemies so that they aren't too much of a challenge for you. Why? To make the game EASIER. To make it impossible to fail. To make it SIMPLER. No fight too hard, no odds too long. Alduin? HAH. Vivec could have taken him one hand tied behind his back.
Which reminds me. The population levels of Vvardenfell's scattered cities made sense. It was an ISLAND. To have practically LESS people in the IMPERIAL HEARTLAND makes NO SENSE. And they can claim they made the map bigger all they want to - that doesn't reduce the fact that walking from one side of Cyrodiil to the other is both easier (as in; no threat, even, or ESPECIALLY, at level fucking one) and takes less time! And that's without making fast-travel (an unquestionable "dumbed down" system) a thing. People who complained that Morrowind took too long to walk across - they had fast travel. It just COST MONEY. And you had to find a Mages Guild or Silt Strider or Boat to get to use it. It was REALISTIC. It was INVOLVING. And it MADE SENSE. You could skip out part of your journey - but not all of it, if you weren't getting to a major location. This meant you had to PLAN. Take RISKS. Spend time and effort.

Now, I shall not deny that Oblivion is prettier than Morrowind. Or that voice acting makes some things so, SO much cooler. (Lucien Lachance, anyone?) Nor shall I deny that Skyrim is in almost every way a superior game to Oblivion. Or indeed, that by volume of sales, they are both "more popular" than Morrowind. And I'll admit that Dragons were cool (though underpowered, and they are slightly too frequent for logic to accept). Both Skyrim and Oblivion had their moments. And yes, the games were easier to get into than their predecessor. The games were, in fact, easier in every single way, than their predecessor. They were so easy, levelling up was the only way to make the games HARDER (wait, that's not how that should work, right?). They removed more features than they added. They removed guilds, and skills, and attributes, and spells, and entire schools of magick, and classes and types of weapons, and...well, you get the point.

This is good business design. It makes the games more accessible, and it makes them sell better. That is not necessarily the same thing as making them "better games". Popularity, after all, would suggest that Twilight is a good movie. Indeed, if I start leaving structural walls out of my buildings, because the aesthetics it creates or allows makes the building sell better, one would not call that "good architectural design", or "good engineering". Any more than I'd call the decisions made for TES games post-Morrowind "good game design".

And, indeed, it is true. Every argument I've used against Skyrim and Oblivion can almost be applied to Morrowind compared to Daggerfall and Arena. Indeed, I am a Morrowind fanboy. However, the thing is...Morrowind brought the series to 3D. It brought the series into the realm where you didn't have to use your mind to imagine *all* the world, any more. It changed the game in such a fundamental way, that what was lost, was *worth it*. What has Oblivion or Skyrim done in exchange for their dumbing down sacrifices? Voice acting? Pretty textures? Are those...really worth it? Are they really worth losing the magic that made Morrowind so detailed? So mystical, and yet somehow so real? Voice acting, we can all agree, was not great in Oblivion. It was better in Skyrim, but not stellar. And the budget which goes towards it is disproportionate to its rewards. The pretty textures are hardly the difference between 2D and 3D. Indeed, on consoles, the market for which a considerable number of these concessions have been made (though with the caveat; only because of the graphics upgrades as well), there is not that large of a change between Oblivion and Skyrim. Sure, it's there, and when you plop them side-by-side, it shows. Or when you first fire it up, it stuns, even. But after a week, or a month...ten new games have released, the graphics are now outdated, or you're used to them, or you're noticing that hey, they don't hold up to scrutiny on a 50" LED when you're less than five meters away.

Is it really worth it? Could we not sacrifice at least *some* of those shiny, feelgood, overpriced, overfocused, "features", so that the games can have their DEPTH back? Their meaning? Choices, and consequences? Would you not all prefer a game with stellar animations, but slightly outdated graphics? A game where crafting your own character took a bit of care? Required decisions - REAL decisions, like what skills to train, or guilds to join - rather than just being able to click click click and thus slash your way through what should be dramatic, difficult encounters? Does not rising to the top of the Mages Guild while never casting more than a single spell feel WRONG, to all of you?

That, my friends, is the dumbing down of the Elder Scrolls series. And lo, those of you who started on Oblivion probably cannot stomach Morrowind's combat, or its graphics, or the endless walking. And that's fine. I don't judge you the worse for it. I feel like you've missed out on something great - something I wish you could have shared in. But I say to you: rose-tinted glasses only do so much. If Bethesda ever truly pulls out all the stops once more, if they take a gamble, and make a game which fixes Morrowind's greatest and only flaw, and presents you with a fully realized, detailed, next-gen-prettified, properly animated RPG which is otherwise like Morrowind...then, perhaps, you will realize how low a point in the series Oblivion was. Perhaps you will even realize why I maintain to this day, that Morrowind is in every way bar graphics and smoothness of animations, a superior game to both Oblivion and Skyrim. Because you'll get lost in that world. You'll sink into it, not for days, or even months, but for YEARS. And more than a DECADE after you've sunk hundreds of hours into the game, you will still think of it fondly, as the peak of a great series.

Yes, a GREAT SERIES. For I say this most every time I have this little rant. I do not dislike Oblivion. I don't even think it's a bad game. Skyrim, indeed, is a great game. But neither are what they could have been...SHOULD have been. Neither can rightfully claim to have improved on Morrowind in more than a couple of areas. And that...that is the tragedy. That is what I rail against. That is why I rant and rave and carry on. Because I want the series to be all that it should be. All that it could be. I wanted them, more than you can know, to be THAT GAME. The one which stole the crown. Blew me away. Fixed what was wrong, made better what was right. Because I want everyone to be able to have that experience. That experience of a game which is almost perfect, for what it is meant to be. Morrowind is still the closest, in terms of number of parts which are RIGHT, to being that game.

/end rant.

Do you have a document from which you copy this rant every other month or so? :)

It's probably his Nanowrimo text of this year. 50000 words in seperate paragraphs on the utter dominance of Morrowwind, to be quoted selectively and in any order without losing coherence.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#1244 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostTapper, on 16 December 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

/end rant.

It's probably his Nanowrimo text of this year. 50000 words in seperate paragraphs on the utter dominance of Morrowwind, to be quoted selectively and in any order without losing coherence.

It's not a real rant if it doesn't mention how INCREDIBLY ANNOYING it was to, say, as an example, pick up a cool looking skull in some random-ass tomb somewhere early on, sell it somewhere to get rid of inventory clutter, play about another 150 hours on this save file doing everything but the main quest, decide to do it, receive one of the early fetch quests for some dumb pointless item, get to the tomb (wait a second) in question, search it top to bottom with no luck (I recognise this place!), realise they want that bloody skull (I KNEW the name sounded familiar!) and search EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN VENDOR IN THE GAME before eventually finding it in the merchant inventory in a scrubby little town away from any fast travel points a bit less than a real-time day later, before doing it all again some main quest missions down the line with a bloody cup! YES I'M STILL BITTER
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1245 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Or Cliff Racers. Blighted Cliff Racers.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1246 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hmm, while I agree that level scaling/scaling which items are findable is flawed (and Morrowind is my favourite), the risk you mention morrowind having is pretty significantly reduced just by knowing a little about where to find certain items. While full daedric is difficult like you say, there are plenty of very powerful items that are very easy to get (and I wouldn't say this is comparable to just being better at the game because you've played it a bit before, it's not really an acquired skill like that). It's cool the first time you find them, but overall I'm not sure it's a much better system in regards to item finding. It certainly contributes to Morrowind being one of those games that is, imo, by far the best on the first playthrough, because so much of the experience is in figuring out the gist of how it works (the other game that stands out for me as being like this is pokemon). I suspect this also means that people's experience with the games after whichever one they started on will feel worse simply because the first playthrough is best and that's the experience they think of when they think back to their first game (even if it holds up less well on subsequent playthroughs, though I'm not denying they have a good amount of re-play value. Here the variety of Morrowind is an advantage. Even just in minor things like certain races not being able to wear the same things forces you down slightly different roads).

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#1247 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Well, with powerful items in Morrowind, I think I like the idea of getting ahead if you know things. And lets not forget that if, say, your weapon and armor skills were poo, you wouldn't get that much of a gain from a powerful weapon or armor piece early on anyway, not as much as you would in many other games. Early gains of things like Masque of Clavicus Vile were cool, and they lasted a long time. Oh yeah, here's one of my pet peeves with Oblivion and Skyrim - leveled unique items. Fuck that. I just found myself grinding levels to get the maximum item level before doing any quests like that. They never think of min-maxers!
(ok so enchanting was maybe a little overpowered in Morrowind eh)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1248 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Oh, come on, I don't do it *that* often! :p

Besides, I rewrite this from memory each time. It's not like the facts ever change. XD

View PostGrief, on 16 December 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Hmm, while I agree that level scaling/scaling which items are findable is flawed (and Morrowind is my favourite), the risk you mention morrowind having is pretty significantly reduced just by knowing a little about where to find certain items. While full daedric is difficult like you say, there are plenty of very powerful items that are very easy to get (and I wouldn't say this is comparable to just being better at the game because you've played it a bit before, it's not really an acquired skill like that). It's cool the first time you find them, but overall I'm not sure it's a much better system in regards to item finding. It certainly contributes to Morrowind being one of those games that is, imo, by far the best on the first playthrough, because so much of the experience is in figuring out the gist of how it works (the other game that stands out for me as being like this is pokemon). I suspect this also means that people's experience with the games after whichever one they started on will feel worse simply because the first playthrough is best and that's the experience they think of when they think back to their first game (even if it holds up less well on subsequent playthroughs, though I'm not denying they have a good amount of re-play value. Here the variety of Morrowind is an advantage. Even just in minor things like certain races not being able to wear the same things forces you down slightly different roads).

I'm going to partially agree here. However, there are plenty of reasons why this system is better than scaled loot in every way.

1. Lacking scaled enemies, Morrowind doesn't have that many powerful items which are *easy* to obtain. They exist, but you do often still have to be relatively competent to *get* to them, or to take/steal them. It does require knowledge and experience of the game - and that first journey to find them will take a long time in itself, barring lucky-stumble-upon happenstance. But the fact that this *can* happen is, imo, a boon. It makes the world more realistic. A world devoid of powerful items until one is level nine thousand is just as unrealistic as a world overflowing with powerful items until or once one is level nine thousand, and Skyrim and Oblivion suffer from both flaws.

2. Again, the items may be powerful, but they aren't going to save your character from death. They might make the game easier, but they don't make the game *easy*. Bear in mind that these items can break. You need to spend money or upgrade your skills to repair shit in Morrowind. Putting on that awesome armour is just asking for it to break before you actually get much benefit out of it. XD Combined with levelled enemies, and you have an entire loot system which is almost categorically pointless. All it does is make you want to level to get the new shiny thing - but it doesn't make you better, more powerful, or actually reward you for your work. All it does it make the enemies stronger to maintain "challenge", rather than the developers bothering to take the time to craft the experience to give you something real to strive for.

3. They add value. Not only is it rewarding to find and know where those items are, being able to obtain them gives you something to do, something to role-play. Not having them or, worse, having them scaled, just makes things more bland and pointless. There is nothing worse than getting a sword with a badass reputation (that is genuine; not depth-addingly fake/overblown) only to find that it's going to be outperformed by a generic sword on a bandit corpse in ten levels. Or a sword which arbitrarily, with no in-game or in-lore explanation or acknowledgement that it does, gains power with you to keep it valuable, barring what more skill on your character's part accounts for.

4. Seriously, that sword can hit for nine million damage with a small exploding sun's worth of fire on top of that...it won't matter if your character can't hit anything with it. Which you tend not to be able to in Morrowind at low levels. XD
I know that with the later games, your character's skill only (arbitrarily) affects damage, and that you WILL hit if you aim at an enemy, but that shouldn't be the case in the first place, so it's hardly a counterpoint. It just exacerbates the problem by making character skill more irrelevant and can't really be used as justification for scaling items seeing as the change happened at the same time, and neither change should have happened.

So while I acknowledge that you have a point - the system is not perfect - I still am not seeing it as a negative point against Morrowind. The system is *still* a million miles better than what Oblivion or Skyrim does, in terms of practicality, replayability, immersion, fun, world-building, etc.

Bear in mind, scaled unique items in Oblivion and Skyrim can still be easily obtained once you know where they are, too. They just become arbitrarily useless once you've levelled half a dozen times. Which is just stupid. XD

View PostGothos, on 17 December 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Well, with powerful items in Morrowind, I think I like the idea of getting ahead if you know things. And lets not forget that if, say, your weapon and armor skills were poo, you wouldn't get that much of a gain from a powerful weapon or armor piece early on anyway, not as much as you would in many other games. Early gains of things like Masque of Clavicus Vile were cool, and they lasted a long time. Oh yeah, here's one of my pet peeves with Oblivion and Skyrim - leveled unique items. Fuck that. I just found myself grinding levels to get the maximum item level before doing any quests like that. They never think of min-maxers!
(ok so enchanting was maybe a little overpowered in Morrowind eh)

All this. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1249 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Here you go:

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1250 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

new trailer is pretty awesome.
can't wait for the game!

#1251 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

That was an awesome cinematic trailer.

I was a bit disappointed to see the capital city though, it was tiny. I thought it only looked like that in Oblivion because you don't really want to build a city for a million people in a videogame.

#1252 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

While it looked awesome, the action kinda got boring after a while.

#1253 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Can anyone tell me why when I tried to get married in Skyrim, some dead woman appeared at my wedding and everyone suddenly hated me for it? I think she was a follower at one point who died (the Housecarl from Whiterun, whats her name?) and her body was just there on the floor of the temple and everyone was like "I can't believe you!" and all this. Bit confused...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1254 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

the ony TES guide I need or want is uesp.net ;)

#1255 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 30 January 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Can anyone tell me why when I tried to get married in Skyrim, some dead woman appeared at my wedding and everyone suddenly hated me for it? I think she was a follower at one point who died (the Housecarl from Whiterun, whats her name?) and her body was just there on the floor of the temple and everyone was like "I can't believe you!" and all this. Bit confused...

Yeah it's a bug.

Taken from the Elder Scrolls wiki:

"If one of your followers dies before the marriage can take place, their body will turn up at the temple, causing you to fail the wedding ceremony mini-mission. The priests will then ask you to leave, and the bride or groom will storm off, angry. You can make amends by leaving a short cool down period of a couple of hours, and then going and apologizing to Maramal and then your potential spouse. The wedding will take place the following day at the same time. To avoid failing the quest a second time, drag (or use unrelenting force to push) the corpse from out the way of the door. If you are using the PC, you can also use the console to resurrect the follower then apologize to avoid a problem.

#1256 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Aha makes sense, thanks for that. Probably too late to do anything about bow but I'm thinking of doing it again with a very different character so I might try once more...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1257 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

So who here is more exciterd for this then the mmo that's coming out in the new future?

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

Goldbrand.

You mean eltonbrand;)

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 31 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

#1258 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

Wait is that a 4th DLC for Skyrim? Cause I JUST NOW ordered the Legendary Ed(GOTY) with the 3 DLCs!! I'm gonna be pissed off if so and cancel my order real quick.

Also ordered the guide and it's at 1120 pgs. That's a big book...

I'm pissed now.

fan created mod for skyrim. They are currently in alpha stage and what they are doing is incredible. They are also looking for help with voice actors and whatnot

This is epic.

#1259 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

And also at present operating in violation of Bethesda's EULA by porting content directly from Morrowind rather than making it all themselves.

It's the same as Morroblivion, just for Skyrim, and it's banned from discussion on the Bethsoft forums.

If you want a proper mod which recreates ALL of the provinces, check out "Beyond Skyrim". It won't release for ages, though. On the other hand, it's a lot less likely to get a cease and desist order from Bethesda before it can release. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1260 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

It is something which may be more informed by technological or lore constraints than anything else.

While Black Marsh would be intriguing, it has elements which would make it hard to do justice to (the Hist, and the root network, for a start) without breaking the lore. Especially that BM is a nest of disease and much of it is inaccessible to non-Argonians (e.g. there is a reason they are born with 100% disease immunity and can breathe under water).

Similarly, Valenwood has giant - and I mean GIANT - tree-cities. Which can, in theory, move. And that's putting aside the fact that it is closed off due to the Thalmor and also general Bosmer anti-peopleness. (And Bethesda isn't that good at regular trees, let alone super-forests covering 90% of the gameworld...)

Summerset Isle also has the Thalmor issue. So unless that is fixed 'tween games, I think that's a no-go. Unless it's available as part of one of the other provinces and involves an invasion (i.e. Hammerfell). Plus, all those High Elves would drive everyone nuts, right? XD And the Isles also probably work better *as* a bit of a mystery-spot. Take that away by allowing players to visit, and it might be disappointing (and hard to do justice to - on the plus side, post-Thalmor-asskicking-invasion, if it happens, would be a good excuse to make it not so awe-inspiring...)

Elseweyr has the issue that it would need to introduces a larger variety of character models just to cater to the many breeds of Khajiit. Some of which can't even speak the common tongue. Some of which are large enough to be ridden into battle. And that would inevitably make people complain about not being able to play as the different kinds, obvious difficulties aside.

High Rock/Hammerfell have sorta been done before. But are good candidates as they are quite different to Skyrim in a *lot* of ways, but also don't have any massively lore-integral factors which might break either the developers or ruin it if taken out, or not done right. They also function quite well as potential points of conflict for the Thalmor issue.

Black Marsh is the next easiest, in terms of relative uniqueness vs feasibility. I'd be surprised if they went any further "out there" than Black Marsh just yet.

Of course, they could surprise everyone and do a full Morrowind province. I highly doubt that, and it would be liable to disappoint, but it could happen. Still, probably the least likely of the "actually feasible" provinces. XD

That in mind, I wouldn't object to any of them. Though Summerset Isle is not high on my wishlist - too small, too many High Elves. Morrowind (well, Vvardenfell) of course always holds a special place in my heart, but I really don't want the modern Bethesda fucking it up. Elsweyr would be awesome, though. As would Valenwood, but it's not happening. If it does, it will be disappointing. So I'd rather they didn't. Black Marsh has similar issues, for me, but is right up there in terms of intrigue. Hammerfell/High Rock...I'd like to see them combined. And I think that's both the "easiest" to do, and the most likely, from a story-and-technology standpoint. But at the same time, while a lot of it is interesting, it's also a bit more of the blandness that Cyrodiil embodies (which is ruled out for obvious reasons).

INB4 "Akavir" or "All of them!". ;)

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users