• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6901 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Oh, goody, that story hasn't been done to death. Will there at least be exploding rock giants?
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6902 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 October 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Oh shit check this out! Looks kinda cool ATM

Nope, not supporting this white washed bullshit.

They purposely stuck white people in every role they could while leaving out the Africans. It's been much talked about and the consensus is that this movie is racist as heck even before it comes out.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6903 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 30 October 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Oh shit check this out! Looks kinda cool ATM

Nope, not supporting this white washed bullshit.

They purposely stuck white people in every role they could while leaving out the Africans. It's been much talked about and the consensus is that this movie is racist as heck even before it comes out.

I think Ridley's argument (I read it somewhere) is that the Egypt of the day would have not been populated by one skin of person and had a myriad of tones and races. This is correct, but doesn't excuse him making an Egyptian Pharaoh white. That's just nonsense whitewash. I totally agree with you Amph.

What's worse he apparently DID cast darker skinned actors...in slave roles. Which is so facepalmingly bad I can't even...

Idris Elba would have made a FAR better Ramses.

His cast SHOULD be more diverse. 100%. Were I him I'd have ended the white cast at Bale (Bale playing a Jewish person isn't a stretch) and cast Ramses and the proper Egyptians as darker skinned. It certainly would not come off as bad as it currently does.

I want to see it as I like Ridley's films, but I don't think that I can support such whitewashing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6904 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Ridley Scott has gone to shit these days. His films are mostly garbage. Robin Hood was so fucken bad I almost walked out of the theater and I never wanted to do that (apart when seeing Tree of Life) I am not gonna mention Prometheus cause I get pissed off when I think about it still. It sucks cause I LOVE Alien and really like Blade Runner and some of his other work but it seems he has lost his touch.
No Touchy.

#6905 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 30 October 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Ridley Scott has gone to shit these days. His films are mostly garbage. Robin Hood was so fucken bad I almost walked out of the theater and I never wanted to do that (apart when seeing Tree of Life) I am not gonna mention Prometheus cause I get pissed off when I think about it still. It sucks cause I LOVE Alien and really like Blade Runner and some of his other work but it seems he has lost his touch.

While I liked PROMETHEUS (I know, I'm well in the minority on that one...LOL), I fully agree that ROBIN HOOD is shit, and his last couple of films have been pretty middle of the road...the last one I properly enjoyed was KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Directors Cut) and that was what? 2005? And I don't LOVE PROMETHEUS, I just like it. But yes, he has a serious uphill battle to get back to the quality of his older films...and it doesn't appear as if EXODUS is going to help him do that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6906 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

It looks rather epic and I'll probably see it if reviews are good, but yeah, the whitewashing is pretty dreadful.

Though I'm not sure casting Idris Elba as Ramses would have been any sort of a solution. Sure, you've then got an ethnic minority in there, but... well, surely if not an actual Egyptian they could find someone of Middle-Eastern origin to play the role?

I have a similar problem with The Rock playing Black Adam in the Shazam film. And indeed Ken Watanabe playing the person who is supposed to be R'as Al Ghul in Batman Begins.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6907 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 October 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

It looks rather epic and I'll probably see it if reviews are good, but yeah, the whitewashing is pretty dreadful.

Though I'm not sure casting Idris Elba as Ramses would have been any sort of a solution. Sure, you've then got an ethnic minority in there, but... well, surely if not an actual Egyptian they could find someone of Middle-Eastern origin to play the role?

I have a similar problem with The Rock playing Black Adam in the Shazam film. And indeed Ken Watanabe playing the person who is supposed to be R'as Al Ghul in Batman Begins.

I think in the time period and considering the art we know of from the period, a black Pharoah may not have been off the mark. Modern Egyptians are not an example of those that lived there in Ancient Egyptian times at all.

#6908 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

First FAST 7 trailer!

Oh hell yeah! Can't wait for this!

#6909 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 November 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

First FAST 7 trailer!

Oh hell yeah! Can't wait for this!

Bittersweet though. When Dom says 'one last ride' and the shot is of Paul Walker... :unworthy:

#6910 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 30 October 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

While I liked PROMETHEUS (I know, I'm well in the minority on that one...LOL), I fully agree that ROBIN HOOD is shit, and his last couple of films have been pretty middle of the road...the last one I properly enjoyed was KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Directors Cut) and that was what? 2005? And I don't LOVE PROMETHEUS, I just like it. But yes, he has a serious uphill battle to get back to the quality of his older films...and it doesn't appear as if EXODUS is going to help him do that.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut is fantastic. Extended/director's cuts are usually crap (there's generally a very good reason stuff gets edited out), but in KoH's case it's two completely different movies. The theatrical cut lacks any sort of complexity or depth and comes across as a generic action movie. The 40 extra minutes that the director's cut adds elevates it to one of my favorite movies.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6911 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Finally saw DJANGO UNCHAINED. Not bad but not great. I always find myself fascinated by Tarantino movies, even though on the whole I usually don't like them. There's small doses of awesome that in the end don't really add up to anything, if that makes sense.

KILL BILL 1 & 2 were pretty awesome though. Need to see those again.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6912 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

I'm kinda done with Tarantino. I think he's more often a creep that appropriates stuff to give people a prurient thrill than an honest filmmaker these days.

#6913 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

John Wick was pretty good.
No Touchy.

#6914 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Holy shit, Birdman was magnificent.

#6915 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 03 November 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

FINALLY - SOMEONE I CAN TALK ABOUT THIS WITH!!! (Besides my GF who saw it with me...)

Wanna go into spoilers with me?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by amphibian: 03 November 2014 - 05:50 AM

#6916 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

View Postamphibian, on 03 November 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 03 November 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

FINALLY - SOMEONE I CAN TALK ABOUT THIS WITH!!! (Besides my GF who saw it with me...)

Wanna go into spoilers with me?

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 03 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

#6917 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

CHAPPIE trailer (Neil Blomkamp)

Yep, this looks really good. It's got a SHORT CIRCUIT vibe without the goofy.

Blomkamp makes really solid films that I enjoy. I assume this will be no different.

I don't think anyone quite gets robot-realism like he does. His robots always look and feel so real because he makes them look like things WE would make. Like Dyson vacuum robots.

I'd like to note the similarities to SHORT CIRCUIT are evident enough...but I just realized that Dev Patel is playing the sympathetic-human-connection-to-robot that Fisher Stevens played in the SC films in the 80's...(which subsequently got Stevens BANNED from visiting India for 20 years as they were pissed, as he was a white guy in brown-face for his character which I'm astonished they ever got away with even in the States).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

#6918 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

Watched 12 angry men for the first time today. It's available in full length on YouTube.

It was really good. I am guessing this movie is kind of the ur-jury story that every TV-series eventually make a TV-episode out of.

Really solid acting and staging that helps distract you from the relatively naive or romantic idea of what jury duty would really be like. I like when some movies remind you that all movies really are, are really high budget theater. That's what this movie felt like, a play performed from many different viewpoints.

EDIT: Then I watched The Man from Earth again again because it was linked with 12 Angry Men. I never get tired of this movie. It's great.

This post has been edited by Apt: 04 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

#6919 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 November 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

CHAPPIE trailer (Neil Blomkamp)

Yep, this looks really good. It's got a SHORT CIRCUIT vibe without the goofy.

Blomkamp makes really solid films that I enjoy. I assume this will be no different.

I don't think anyone quite gets robot-realism like he does. His robots always look and feel so real because he makes them look like things WE would make. Like Dyson vacuum robots.

It looks good. I'm a mite wary after Elysium because it was a bit shit but this looks like a more controlled, smaller film, less scale-for-scale's-sake.

AI seems to be the topic du jour for sci-fi movies right now, there seem to be loads of films around and upcoming. This, that Mexican one with Antonio Banderas (Automata), Ex Machina all on the way. Doubtless some I've forgotten.

#6920 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

Saw Interstellar. Not in Imax, but on one of those pretty big curvy screens. The first half was awesome, intense, and even rather beautiful. The second half, I won't say it takes a complete nosedive, but let's just say it's pretty rocky. I suppose I thought it was worth it, but it'll be interesting to hear other reactions.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users