Malazan Empire: Sending out an SOS! - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sending out an SOS! Tehol has been evacuated!

#101 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

I couldn't believe the mayor said it either, I was surprised there wasn't more outrage at his comments. I think the comments just flew under the radar as people were so busy trying to save their homes. Manitoba is a flood plain and if you are going to allow people to build and reside there you can't very well turn around and say that's the price you pay suck it up. I thought it was in really poor taste, but I've kind of come to expect it from the man. Plus I'm not even living right on the river bank and still managed to be majorly flooded.

As to the insurance thing you mentioned earlier and getting together some sort of private fund, I've been getting some advice from our resident findancial adviser frookie. As it's not likely flood insurance is going to become available, I'm going to start putting a certain percentage of money away into a seperate savings account from now on specifically for this type of thing. It's not an ideal solution but at least it's something, because the flood damage to my home is going to cost me an absolute fortune to fix. Thankfully I make a decent living and have very little debt, but it's still going to put a fair sized dent in my finances. I don't want to be in this position next year if I can help it!
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#102 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Good to see that you can get sound advice on the forum.
Though I'm trying to understand why no local cooperative insurance has emerged. Might be the big companies keep crushing them.
Though what you're doing is essentially insurance without the insurance company, I should consider doing something like that myself.
Though ask Frookie which bank to use, a normal bank or a virtual high interest bank like ING direct (if they're actually any good).
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#103 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 20 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

Good to see that you can get sound advice on the forum.
Though I'm trying to understand why no local cooperative insurance has emerged. Might be the big companies keep crushing them.
Though what you're doing is essentially insurance without the insurance company, I should consider doing something like that myself.
Though ask Frookie which bank to use, a normal bank or a virtual high interest bank like ING direct (if they're actually any good).

I was thinking a high interest bank would be best, but I'll be sure to run it by Frookie first. I've always wondered about ING Direct, I've seen the commercials but not so sure if they're worth while. There are high interest savings accounts available at the bank I deal with, but the reates are nowhere near as good.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#104 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

Can't pass up something with Billy Connelly...

Is there a death toll yet? Poor bastards.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users