• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plot synopsis from amazon.co.uk Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Oh my, after reading first the prologue and then the synopsis I fear that the 14th will stand against the KCCM and actually win. I fear a repetition of RG-like style like "We are the 14th, yeah, and we are marines, yeah, and we STILL have tons of moranth ammunition, yeah, and we will blow you reptiles to hell, yeah, while at the same time looking good, duh." :D

Please, oh dear Lord oh dearest SE, please do not tread again on the path of over-exaggerating! :p:
FIDELITY, n. A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed.

#22 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

If he can make it like Reaper's Gale I'll love it. I love the "march" of the Malazan Marines. POV's from Hellian are always appreciated.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

The winning formula in RG was the unthinkable idea of just 1000 soldiers invading and moving with great speed through the country reaking havoc, that plus the Edur/Letherii not knowing munitions.

The munitions are gone. And no matter how clever the 14th get in DOD them vs 4 meter tall war lizards would be a slaughter.

#24 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 23 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

The munitions are gone. And no matter how clever the 14th get in DOD them vs 4 meter tall war lizards would be a slaughter.

Fingers crossed!

Actually, this is the "Malazan Book of the Fallen"! Why should they not get slaughtered in a most glorious and legendary way? I certainly would like such a "bad ending".

EDIT: put emphasis on the 'Fallen'

This post has been edited by Ganymed: 23 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

FIDELITY, n. A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed.

#25 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 23 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

The winning formula in RG was the unthinkable idea of just 1000 soldiers invading and moving with great speed through the country reaking havoc, that plus the Edur/Letherii not knowing munitions.

Exactly. Imagine Hellian's POV during this.

Also, while their "Munitions" are gone, SE could always invent a way to get them to him, like the TTG in DG or Paran drawing a Deck card, and what not. But, yes. Stand up fight would be troublesome... to say the least.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#26 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

i hope this book doesn't become another "CUSSERS! MOTHERF*CKING CUSSERS!" situation... trygalle trade guild or ganoes paran or not.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#27 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

I hate to be a spolisport, but yes most of the munitions are now gone, but Hedge is back and seems to have a super-supply of them (or he did before he returned to the main world rather than warrens). Would be nice to see Hedge and Fiddler back making mayhem as we hear a lot about them being legends, but don't really see that much in GotM and they've not been together properly since. Would also be nice to think that there's more to the 14th than munitions, but can't have both now can I?

#28 User is offline   Newbee 

• Corporal

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I feel theres a gross underestimation of the 14th, they have 2 certain high mages, one needs no introduction and the other is a devil child who can melt jaghut icebergs, bottle is a third candidate, they can recruite some letherii magery if needed, they have the best squads, stormy, gesler,hellian,deadsmell,Throatslitter, Tarr, Smiles, Limp a crazy sword guy, etc. Fids squad is probably the best and they all have experience of fighting demon princes and edur. Plus they will be joined by Tools personal bodyguard and possibly the perish. If there is a head on fight with KcCm am sure they will still give us at least 30 minutes of the ode to the mighty bonehunters.

Seriously i don't want Fid to die.

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

Bottle is deeeeeaaaaad!

Sinn is untested. Sinns handywork with the Ice ritual wasn't a power display as much as it was a display of cunning, control and a lot of patience. In the big scheme of things it was the equivelant of a child unravelling the strings of a turkish carpet a master veaver made. It's not like she was blowing icebergs out of the water or anything.

I wouldn't put money on the best fighter in the 14th vs the average KCCM warrior/hunter in the KCCMs hive. Doesn't really matter how good you are, if you're a mortal human soldier versus a gigantic lizard, twice or thrice your height, with armor like skin, predator instincts, super speed reflexes, great strength and massive bulk... well, you're pretty much fucked unless you have bag of cusser handy. And the 14th is out.

But really, from my understanding of that prologue, the KCCM we first meet aren't the bad guys. And it doesn't sound like there is a reason for "the good guys" to pick a fight with them. Now the short tails on the other hand seemed more sinister.

#30 User is offline   Newbee 

• Corporal

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Bottle is not dead, i said if they were to fight they would put up a pretty good fight for 30 mins.

#31 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

@ Apt

Perhaps you mean Beak is dead? Which is true, but irrelevant to Newbee's argument.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

... oooh... bottle, right... shit ;) :p

Ok, Bottle is still alive... as far as we know... but really, bottle is no highmage, at least not yet. I'm curious what Erikson has going on with Bottle. From what the Dal Hon shaman said in RG it sounds like Bottle could be a very dangerous one later on. But I don't think he is there yet. I don't think he'll reach that point in this series.

Beak is deeeeeaaaaad!!!

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

The obvious conclusion from Coral and RG is that a few KChain are going to massacre even the 14th/Bonehunters. But on the other hand, they have munitions, which Dujek ran short on (plus there were all these troblesome pannion soldiers running around) and the Letherii didn't have, and maybe, just maybe, Tavore knows enough to to walk into a straight confrontation with KChain.

Casualities, undoubtably, but a full on wiped out 14th, i'm not so sure. The Grey Swords in MoI showed that unconventional tactics weren't a complete fail. Plus she has the Khundryll cavalry and the Grey Helm army to work with.

Oh, and Hedge, who is familiar with what happens when infantry tries to fight KChain head on... then again, Hedge's tactics are MAYBE not ideal...

"Okay, hold tight to that cusser an' wait til they get reeeeaaaaaallly close... closer, closer... if you can't smell their lizardy breath they ain't close enough..."

- Abyss, psyched.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

To be honest, I don't think a confrontation between the KCCM and the Bonehunters will happen. It seems a little implausible that Tavore would pick a fight with such a powerful enemy. She seems smarter than that. Besides, her army isn't THAT big. They lost a fair few marines, I'm pretty sure, the munitions are gone and I don't think she can necessarily rely on the Grey Helms to be her ally. And as Apt said, I don't get the vibe that the KCCM are the bad guys either. The Matron seems fairly insane, and desperate for survival, but not evil, really.

We have some powerhitters in the 14th, and the Perish are pretty badass, maybe some human champions will be found amongst the 14th?

Now THAT would be cool. The 14th and the KCCM fighting side by side, raising hell. Personally, i think the confrontation will be with the faction that is kicking up such a storm in the Wastlelands and Kolanse. They seem like a fairly...I won't say evil, but corrupted? group and I think there may be the CG's hand in it, and Tavore is out of stop it.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 29 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users