• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Art Guild Contest Winners!

#1 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Here are the winners of the contest we held on DA.

First Place:

Seren Pedac

Attached File  Seren_Pedac_by_Morgalahan.jpg (730.97K)
Number of downloads: 205

by Morgalahan http://morgalahan.deviantart.com/

Second place:

Mogora

Attached File  Mogora_by_slaine69.jpg (115.97K)
Number of downloads: 139

by our very own Onrack/Slaine69 http://slaine69.deviantart.com/

Korlat

Attached File  Korlat_Magic_by_Shadaan.jpg (69.25K)
Number of downloads: 137

by Shadaan http://shadaan.deviantart.com/

Whiskeyjack

Attached File  Whiskeyjack_by_genesischant.jpg (114.73K)
Number of downloads: 145

by Genesischant http://genesischant.deviantart.com/

Third Place:

High King Kallor

Attached File  The_High_King_by_Timett.jpg (124.6K)
Number of downloads: 163

by Timett http://timett.deviantart.com/
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on Apr 1 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

Third Place:

High King Kallor

Attachment The_High...y_Timett.jpg

by Timett http://timett.deviantart.com/

This is just so wrong. How could it even get third place? Was there only three contestants?

As a Kallor fanboy I am appaled. This old fart couldn't swing a two hander let alone defend himself in a fight. Pfffftth. PPFFFFFHHTTHH I SAY!!! ;)

Where is the impression of death and destruction? where is the grizzeled veteran warlord? Where is the bad guy I love?

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

There were eight entries in all.

Anyway, I'm with you there, Apt. Didn't say it as harsh [I commented on the image on DA], but that's it, basically. I have my own theories about the why and how, gut I'll keep my mouth shut 'cause I participated myself and probably made the last place, which means my opinion would sound like envy :)

Congrats to the winners, btw ;)
Seren and Korlat are spot on!

This post has been edited by Puck: 01 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

Couldn't agree more. Pretty sure Kallor doesn't look that old/small. Total opposite of my image of him.
I still heart Goodkind.

#5 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

He's smiling for god sake... and not over the dead body of a betrayed enemy! He's smiling like he accidentally pissed himself but likes the warm feeling... just not right
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

He looks older than that, imagine Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones times ten, but his body isn't frail and weak. He's strong enough to ride an entire day in full body armor and still swing that huge sword of his... with ease!

And I certainly do not remember him described as losing his hair.

#7 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 1 2009, 12:58 PM, said:

He looks older than that, imagine Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones times ten, but his body isn't frail and weak. He's strong enough to ride an entire day in full body armor and still swing that huge sword of his... with ease!

And I certainly do not remember him described as losing his hair.

See now I imagined him as a man in his 40s, shoulder length black hair, close cropped beard. I don't know the exact description, but within my own imagination that's what I thought.
Spoiler
Sorry about the spoiler, just thought it pertained to the Kallor aesthetics discussion.
I still heart Goodkind.

#8 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

i just went googling for images of "tough old men" to show you what he should look like...I didn't find what i expected!!

Oh God, I hate the internet and rule 34
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

He's litterally grey with age, wrinkled, weathered skin, imagine worn,cracked shoeleather for skin and you have an idea of his visage. The candles only keep him hale and strong, but does nothing for his looks.

#10 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 1 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

He's litterally grey with age, wrinkled, weathered skin, imagine worn,cracked shoeleather for skin and you have an idea of his visage. The candles only keep him hale and strong, but does nothing for his looks.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah, I got the impression they kept him young as well. Thanks for the correction.
I still heart Goodkind.

#11 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Well, basically, the pic has everything: long chainmail, sword, long-ish [they're described as being long in TtH] grey hair, definately old but still tough looking.. Actually, he's just not tall enough there.. BUT it gives off the completely wrong vibe. Kallor's character is not captured at all. That may be just me, but I'm of the opinion, that if people try to portray characters from novels they should at least consider what kind of person this character is. And no, I'm not saying I could do this better.

Anyway, as to Kallor's state of mind.. For me, the vibe coming from him should be something along this, just add a few extra age lines and a meaner looking nose and long grey hair, but the first impression is quite fitting:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Puck: 01 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#12 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostPuck, on Apr 1 2009, 01:41 PM, said:

Well, basically, the pic has everything: long chainmail, sword, long-ish [they're described as being long in TtH] grey hair, definately old but still tough looking.. Actually, he's just not tall enough there.. BUT it gives off the completely wrong vibe. Kallor's character is not captured at all. That may be just me, but I'm of the opinion, that if people try to portray characters from novels they should at least consider what kind of person this character is. And no, I'm not saying I could do this better.

Anyway, as to Kallor's state of mind.. For me, the vibe coming from him should be something along this, just add a few extra age lines and a meaner looking nose and long grey hair, but the first impression is quite fitting:
Posted Image

Definitely. Longer hair of course, more of a sneer on his face. I like the eyes in this, this dudes eyes look fucking awesome.
I still heart Goodkind.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

He looks like some kind of feeble warpriest in the above pic. Like someone put senator palpatine in chainmail and forgot to change his diaper.

#14 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 1 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

He looks like some kind of feeble warpriest in the above pic. Like someone put senator palpatine in chainmail and forgot to change his diaper.

Hahaha, that gave me a good chuckle.

Palpatine in chainmail who forgot to change his diaper. My God.
I still heart Goodkind.

#15 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

and why? WHY I ask you, is he holding a staff?!?!?!?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#16 User is offline   Merlkir 

• hollow jerk

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

I voted for Kallor, because I like the picture. It doesn't look like I imagine him, but I just liked the colors and the overall feel.

#17 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

View PostPuck, on Apr 1 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yes, yes, yes! My thoughts Exactly!

Christopher Walken as Kallor FTW!

and I'm surprised we didn't get more votes, Puck, cause our entries kicked ass!

I'm thinking "creatures" should be the theme for our next contest on DA...we need more creatures.

Also, we should have another contest here on the forum. Last time was fun! I know both myself and Onrack are working on Rake/Traveller pics, maybe we could make something out of that?
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#18 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

Off the Kallor criticisms - I really like Whiskeyjack. I can't help but feel like the artist really captured him. The picture is probably my favourite out of all of them.
I still heart Goodkind.

#19 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

View PostGrimhilde, on Apr 2 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

Yes, yes, yes! My thoughts Exactly!

Christopher Walken as Kallor FTW!

and I'm surprised we didn't get more votes, Puck, cause our entries kicked ass!

I'm thinking "creatures" should be the theme for our next contest on DA...we need more creatures.

Also, we should have another contest here on the forum. Last time was fun! I know both myself and Onrack are working on Rake/Traveller pics, maybe we could make something out of that?

Second that :p He's SO Kallor! Should I ever do a Kallor picture, I'll use him as reference.

Yeah, they certainly did :p Honestly, I'm really surprised your Burn didn't get into the tor pics, I really liked it ;)

Creatures seem a good idea to me, would that be also other races, like the FA, or which creatures? I'd be in again, I think :)
I'm currently working on a pic of Tehol and Bugg with Letheras and the Eternal Domicile as background, though that's no way a rival to both of your - yours and Onracks - Rake pics.

On a general note, I don't know, maybe some don't agree with me and I probably said that already, but I think that if you do a contest of drawing characters [creatures, whatever] from books, be it SE's other of other authors, people should at least think about how the character is portrayed in the books. Search for quotes, if you can spare the time. When I judged the entries for myself, I looked first at whether the characters we know from the books are shown, not exactly how I imagine them, just the overall feeling should be there. I don't care which medium was used or which technique or whether the colours are nice, just get the character's image/feeling across, and the rest is secondary, because if one gets the feeling across one usually choses the right materials unconsciously.

Anyway, just my 2cents :p

#20 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

The Seren picture isn't too bad - except for the almost-elf ears and the strange lump where her throat should be - not sure what's going on there, but overall it's pretty nice.
I like Mogora of course and the Whiskeyjack one is pretty good too imo.

I really dislike the anime Korlat, but then I don't like that style of "art". ;)

Kallor is just laughable - totally laughable, in terms of naming a picture. If it had been Senior Assessor or someone like that I could go for it a little more. ;)
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users