Malazan Empire: The 4chan thread (NSFW) - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The 4chan thread (NSFW) Warning! Sooo not work safe, seriously!

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

That's right, an official thread about 4chan. Danger Young Will Robinson! :whistle:

Lets get the basic stuff down.

This is a thread about 4chan and the imageboard's subforum /b/. To those who don't know 4chan, /b/ or general chan culture read on, but be aware. If there is one word which describes especially /b/ well, it would be offensive. Images and discussions in this thread are going to be Not Safe For Work. The word insane also works, don't expect anything to make sense.

That said, this is the Malazan Forums, not 4chan. So we're sticking to the rules. No pictures of racism, gore, nudity, pedophelia, etc. Keep the discussions civil and try not to go over board. This will of course mean that 99% of chan related material can not be used :(

I realise making this thread is in itself asking for trouble, and as a moderator I should probably stay well away, but I've noticed that there are quite a few members in the know about 4chan, if not casual lurkers like myself, who occasionally strays on to the subject of 4chan. /b/s offensive, aggressive, stupid nature is a deterent for most, but I think many have also noticed that much internet hilarity stems from 4chan, so why not make a thread we can update with current events of interest on the board, interne lore and funny screen shots? I'm talking recent events like the Old b is dead debate, Boxxy revolt, the orange box(xy) spam, etc.

So, lets's talk 4chan, post some pictures from your /b/folder, use a meme or add what you may. Talk about the attraction of /b/.

In before angry modlock when the thread eventually goes tits up and the subsequent sacrifice of Apt to the gods of mod.

Attached File  bforbendetta.jpg (88.56K)
Number of downloads: 7

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

And now i'd would like to introduce...

Attached File(s)

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Aaaand....
Massive time interval as people search for not massively offensive pics :whistle:

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#4 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Long search will be loooooong :whistle:
Btw, for the Boxxy thing, I hate her with a passion, just want to say.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#5 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

I always thought NSFW meant No S*it F*#king Way as a kind of way of describing dodgy materiel, true story
souls are for wimps

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Yes, what to post from the b folder that is just barely suitable? :whistle:

Here's some explanatory pics

Attached File  4chan_5.jpg (56.87K)

Attached File  1175128261989.jpg (128.8K)

Attached File  b_flowchart.gif (144.36K)

Attached File  cueio_4chan.jpg (198K)

Attached File  why4chan.jpg (404.25K)

#7 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

I this not like cooking ones foot then slicing it open and putting it into a bucket of biorefuse that has wasted in the hot sun for four days in an attempt to purposely contract gangrene?

Attached File(s)

The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

To me, this /b/ stuff is emo-ness or goth-ness redirected.

Although I occasionally chuckle at some of the images and memes it produces, I wonder too many times why these people are so full of cognitive bias and wrapped up in the identity of the impotent collective to ever consider joining it.

What in the hell did the "war on Scientology" result in? Nothing of true importance. The continuing misadventures of Gawker and /b/ shows that 100% snark does not achieve anything worthwhile.

For full disclosure: I have been a member on the Rudius Media Message Board since late 2005. That board is strongly linked to Tucker Max and frequently wanders into less socially acceptable territory, but I believe that there are several key differences between that board and /b/ that make it an internet community worth being in.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   Leoman 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

/b/ is always worth a few hours of lulz when i'm bored :whistle:

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

amphibian, on Feb 28 2009, 11:45 PM, said:

For full disclosure: I have been a member on the Rudius Media Message Board since late 2005. That board is strongly linked to Tucker Max and frequently wanders into less socially acceptable territory, but I believe that there are several key differences between that board and /b/ that make it an internet community worth being in.

But that is the main difference. /b/ isn't supposed to be an internet community in the same sense that, for example Rudius media is. RMMB is dedicated to writting and... other kinds of creative stuff. It has some of the brightest minds I've seen posting there and some heavy shit gets analysed and solved on thse forums. It has member names, post count, rep, the lot.

/b/ on the other hand has none of this. It's just random. While /b/ is just the offtopic subforum of 4chan, it is actually more like a forum on to itself. It is by far the biggest forum on 4chan and probably has several times the visitors than all the other sub forums put together. It has no direction, no focus, no real purpose, it's just random bullshit. Brilliant, brilliant ideas and stories may see the light but horrible, awfull content is sure to wash over it soon after like a great sea of poo.

There may be traditions, unoffical rules of the btard, etc. but it's not really ment to be a driving force sent to destroy Scientology or any other form of "cancer" as a btard would put it. /b/ is not a personal army, /b/ isn't even that entity that calls itself Anonymous, they just share the Monicker "anonymous". In reality /b/ is just a common imageboard where people come to troll. Only this is trolling ascended to become an artform. It may look like there is a purpose and there are rules, but in fact it's just different kinds of trolling. Say anything, do anything, do what ever and there will a hundred different reponses all from glorious praise to burning hatred and none of it will make any sense.

Only newfags think that /b/ actually has a purpose :whistle:

#11 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

the seedy underbelly of the internet community rears its ugly head in the form of /b/

I'm not sure I'm mature enough to handle it.
souls are for wimps

#12 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

It appears /b/ was raided lat night.
It was funny as all Hell!
I just watched for a little while then went bed.

I personally find /b/ kinda interesting because its what you get from people when you strip away their Identity and they become 'anonymous'

In some ways it can be good (project chanology for example) many other ways its can just be pathetic reflection on the human race and its phsyci (the whole TITS or GTFO is really very sad in my opinion).

Honestly I'd much prefer this thread in Discussion board personally to get some proper thought on what people think about the 'anonymous' thing.

This post has been edited by Mushroom: 28 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

#13 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

I'm not sure we really want or need a thread devoted to the goings on of another forum, even if it is one as disturbed as 4chan.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well, if we can have threads about television, and sports, and other books, etc. Why not one about 4chan, rodeo?

I mainly invision this thread as being tons of images and funny stories.

And updates if something interesting happens over there, which people missed.

Pretty please, Rodeo? With beer on top?

#15 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

/b/ can be properlly discussed without the need to refer to NSFW crap at all.

From a Sociological perspective its kinda interesting I think. Few other boards have that.

#16 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

RodeoRanch, on Mar 1 2009, 12:09 AM, said:

I'm not sure we really want or need a thread devoted to the goings on of another forum, even if it is one as disturbed as 4chan.

I'll have to agree with Rodoe here. What's the purpose of this thread and which parts of it are not already covered by the awesome pic thread?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

We've done so in the past...remember the guy who thought that Erikson is a hack?

On here we have relative anonymity and it certainly frees us of some constraints, but to be totally anon and going ape?!? I'd rather watch from afar..and talk about it :whistle:
souls are for wimps

#18 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Morgoth, on Mar 1 2009, 09:13 AM, said:

RodeoRanch, on Mar 1 2009, 12:09 AM, said:

I'll have to agree with Rodoe here. What's the purpose of this thread and which parts of it are not already covered by the awesome pic thread?

What he said really. Unless like I said you take away NSFW and move it to discussion and make it intelligent *gasp it could be done* in say the broader context of internet Anonymity. Then really this particular thread can't go anywhere awesome Pics hasn't already gone.

#19 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Am i the only one who doesnt know what /b/ means?

"sigh"....i'll just go back to the pub.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#20 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

It's all well an good until you post inflammatory comments in the 'New Members' thread.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users