Malazan Empire: As we grow older - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As we grow older do you still unleash the inner child?

#21 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

Grey hairs in your beard is when you should get worried. The buggers have been showing up for a couple of years now, it's terrifying. Everytime I see a new one it's like another nail in the coffin.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 23 2009, 06:42 PM, said:

I'm 24.

My brother started losing his hair at 25.

I am sexual-intercoursing terrified.

It might not have the ring of cusswords, but its funnier.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#23 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

My hair started thinning at the front around 21. I'll be 26 in 6 weeks and i now have a fairly advanced hairline. Thankfully no bald patch at the back though. And no greys spotted.

#24 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

I can't figure out if I'm too old or too young. I'm 20.

I'm often shy, make poop jokes, and can't help but like cartoons way too much.

I don't know, it's weird. I've also been told I have the sensibilities of a 50 year old man - I drink scotch and smoke cigars, I have pedantic philosophical discussions, and have always found myself socializing with those of more advanced years at parties, etc.

I want to get married, but at the same time, I want to have snowball fights and make brownies.

I'M SO CONFUSED!
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#25 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on Feb 24 2009, 04:22 AM, said:

I want to get married... ...blablabla... ...and make brownies.

*gets down on one knee*
Dear Stormy...
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#26 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Feb 24 2009, 12:34 AM, said:

Soon the forum will be dead during afternoon nap times for all the old folk here.

Keep the noise down young snapperwhipper!! :D

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#27 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

I try to nap every day. I sleep about four hours at night, then a couple more after getting home from work.
Error: Signature not valid

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on Feb 24 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

I try to nap every day. I sleep about four hours at night, then a couple more after getting home from work.

How have you not gone completely insane yet? 4 hours?

#29 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

The little amount of sleep some of you lot get freaks me out. I hope the people who get to press the big red buttons of the world have more kip. I'm a solid 8hours a night girl. And if I have less, my mental powers become significantly diminished and I get all antsy (well, more antsy than usual anyway).
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

FFS, we spend large globs of time posting on an internet forum about dragons and magic swords... welcome to the opposite of sombre maturity.

- Abyss, ...neener, neener...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#31 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

No kidding, i only got about 5 1/2 last night cause the gf stayed over and i feel like somebody beat the crap out of me today. I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee and it'll probably take 2 more to whip me into shape.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#32 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on Feb 24 2009, 03:25 PM, said:

FFS, we spend large globs of time posting on an internet forum about dragons and magic swords... welcome to the opposite of sombre maturity.

You'd win if you weren't such a cat-lover.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

View PostBrynjar, on Feb 24 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on Feb 24 2009, 03:25 PM, said:

You win.

Edit to reflect what, in your heart, we all know you truly mean.

- Abyss, bounced reality-cheque.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

I'm a young pup at 24. And it's awesome. I'm in the peak physical shape of my life. I can do absolutely ridiculous things to my poor body and it'll heal up in no time flat. Life stretches before me and it's bloody brilliant.

Though I do feel a small twinge of old man syndrome when I think about the fact that I'm dating a 19 year woman. Then that twinge is swept away by the realization that hey, I'm dating a 19 year old hot chick.

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Feb 24 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

I'm a young pup at 24. And it's awesome. I'm in the peak physical shape of my life. I can do absolutely ridiculous things to my poor body and it'll heal up in no time flat. Life stretches before me and it's bloody brilliant.

Though I do feel a small twinge of old man syndrome when I think about the fact that I'm dating a 19 year woman. Then that twinge is swept away by the realization that hey, I'm dating a 19 year old hot chick.

Hey, I'm 24! And while I'm not dating her, I certainly am fucking a 19-year old hot chick.

HIGH FIVE
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#36 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 24 2009, 02:33 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on Feb 24 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

How have you not gone completely insane yet? 4 hours?

Like I said, naps. I get home from work and immediately crash out for at least 2 hours. I don't mean a half-ass nodding off type of nap, I fully go to bed. So, with the nap I usually get at least 6 hours of sleep every day, then catch up on the weekends.

Now, I didn't work today so things are different. I still stayed up until 3,but instead of getting up for work at six I slept until noon. So, I only get sleep deprived on work days.

That's the fun thing about my insomnia. I can't go to sleep early, no matter ho early I have to wake up.
Error: Signature not valid

#37 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:43 PM

All my hair is being sucked through my head and out of my ears and nose, a few of them are not my natural colour.
My normal zen like demeanour disappears at the site of hippity hop type youths, litter, sup'd up citroen saxo's and dogshit.
So I go home spark up a biffter and blow the crap out of something on the X-Box.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#38 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

I think Illy just admitted to boffing my girlfriend.

So that's what she meant when said she loved the chicken!

Whores. All of you!

#39 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Feb 24 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

I think Illy just admitted to boffing my girlfriend.

So that's what she meant when said she loved the chicken!

Whores. All of you!

And when she said 'raunchy', she must have meant...

OH WHAT THE HELL
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#40 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

View PostMacros, on Feb 24 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

Something struck me as I drove down the road earlier.
I'm getting old, considerably more sensible and, well it depressed me.

In the golden days of yore, when undertaking a journey my silly subconscious mission, that I consciously acknowledged, was to get there as quick as possible beating whatever imaginary records that previously existed. As I steered home from Donegal, I found myself keeping an eye on the mpg and trying to stretch it as far as possible, to the point of slowly easing off going up hills and slowly speeding up down the other side (commonly held as the most economic driving method). As soon as I realised what I was doing I dropped 2 gears and absolutely caned it for about 5 miles. Then realised I was acting like an idiot and eased up again.
I don't know which was more distressing, my slide into adulthood or my pathetically childish reaction to the observation.

Then I sat and really thought about it. I'm 23, when my parents were 23 they were married with two children, a thought which positively terrifies me, not least because I hate children. Over the last while, last.. year or so especially, my personality has been taking a shift, and whilst we all got to grow up sometime, some parts are changing and I don't like it, and the areas I wouldn't mind changing are staying the same, why is this?

I'm considerably more aware of the world than I used to be, I've even upgraded my trashy daily star to the mirror (and the times on a sunday) I consider and ponder important events, follow politics and worry about shit that will likely never affect my life, as its happening in a galaxy far far away.....
This is a good thing, I enjoy knowing what people are talking about, but on the same route, as my horizons have broadened, my vision has with out a doubt narrowed, considerably. Diversity is something I view with a skeptical eye, and deride whenever the opportunity arises (the modern art discussion has made this apparent to me). Whenever I make my mind up on a subject, anyone who disagrees is a raging dickhead who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow, and the more they reason the more I'll dig my heels in.

And being single now bothers me, well not bothers me, I've found myself fairytaling my old girlfriends (last one was a shocking 5 years ago upon consideration) and whenever I meet a girl out on a random night and smooch her, I'll make a proper effort to get her phone number, I've actually been on a few dates this past year, something the 4 years previous were notably lacking.

So old fogeys on the board - what age did you finally begin to grow up at? was a drastic shift in your opinions and outlook on the whole game of life noticed?

Could be a mid-life crisis.

Well, I have a few years of foolish, ignorant and YOUTHFUL existence left. Not to say I'll die at 20 or anything like that. God forbid.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users