• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

weakest moments Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Although there were a few things that annoyed me a bit during the series, there's only one that kept making me groan and wish SE had done it differently.

The Eres in BH. Every time there's a problem, she shows up and smoothes it all over with no real explanation. A time-travelling ape capable of stopping Iccy with a touch really doesn't appeal to me.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#42 Guest_Noxchild_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

View PostLister of Smeg, on Mar 26 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

The Eres in BH. Every time there's a problem, she shows up and smoothes it all over with no real explanation. A time-travelling ape capable of stopping Iccy with a touch really doesn't appeal to me.

Eres'al that monkey of a Mary Sue, Christ I could feel my interest draining away whenever her name was even goddamn mentioned.

- all the useless umpteenth pages on people who don't matter on storylines of little revelance or interest. Diamond in a rough is Erikson's writing, yeah?
- Dejim Nebrahl... or something...
- the style of ranting Erikson uses for crazy people. They're never quiet crazies.
- Seren Pedac and the lamest and most brief romance ever. Guy Gavriel Kay could pull off that kind of interaction with two characters and make it epic. Not so here.
- oh my God, the grunting. And the philosophy. And the common podunk soldier using words they really shouldn't know.
- all the resurrections. Dead is dead should stay dead. I realise the series would be a bit moot if Shadowthrone and Cotillion were dead for truly dead, but theirs are special exceptions that really tie into the plot as a whole. If there is one... :(
- all the female-on-male rape. All rape is terrible of course, but there's something about the way Erikson writes 'em that skeeves me out, and especially on poor Trull and Udinaas, not to mention the three Shake sisters and that big Tarthenal guy with four lungs, woo hoo evolution...

This post has kind of digressed...

This post has been edited by Noxchild: 05 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users