Malazan Empire: George Martin addresses his detractors - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • « First

George Martin addresses his detractors I think he might mean some of us Rate Topic: -----

#281 User is offline   Seraphin 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Music, fantasy, Sci-fi, books, horror, gargoyles, video games, Warcraft, medieval history

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

I have read fantasy since I was a kid; my favorite type of literature. When I picked up Martin's first book, I was floored. Forget LOTR or anything else epic I had read growing up. He was instantly my favorite fantasy writer. And for years, that has continued. I completely enjoy his series. But as a fan, its sincerely disheartening to see him gallovanting around to fairs/seminars/etc as the years stretch on and no new material surfaces. I really think hes hit a stonewall as a writer and isnt sure how to proceed with some of the characters so hes stalling. I cant think of any other reason.

At this point Ive moved on from Martin. I think The Mala series is quickly becoming my favorite. I still dont think anyone quite compares to the writing level of Martin and the overall plots/story/characters, but Erikson's series is close!
If you're gonna scream then scream with me. Moments like this never last.

#282 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

But as a fan, its sincerely disheartening to see him gallovanting around to fairs/seminars/etc as the years stretch on and no new material surfaces. I really think hes hit a stonewall as a writer and isnt sure how to proceed with some of the characters so hes stalling. I cant think of any other reason.

Welcome to the board ;)

This subject has been debated numerous times already, so quick version: he's always gone to conventions and signings throughout his entire career and beforehand, plenty of new material has surfaced (a new sample chapter was released just last week, the last one before the book is released), he hasn't hit a stonewall, he isn't stalling and, taking everything into account, ADWD has, of today, taken a grand total of about two months longer than the previous longest books in the series to write (insanely over-optimistic, ill-advised and thoroughly apologised-for notes in the back of AFFC notwithstanding).

The status of the book as of last week is that he has one thousand manuscript pages completed and two hundred more in varying stages of completion and drafting. The current goal is to finish by November (potentially earlier) and release the book in the spring. Maybe GRRM will make it and maybe he won't. We will see.

Regardless of what happens with ADWD, the third SoIaF prequel, The Mystery Knight, is locked for publication in Warriors in March 2010.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#283 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Welcome to the board ;)

This subject has been debated numerous times already, so quick version: Wert loves GRRM to death and gets all grumpy if you criticise him.

Please don't mention that he's so fat he might die before he finishes it, we don't like that.
I AM A TWAT

#284 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

View PostWerthead, on Aug 14 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

But as a fan, its sincerely disheartening to see him gallovanting around to fairs/seminars/etc as the years stretch on and no new material surfaces. I really think hes hit a stonewall as a writer and isnt sure how to proceed with some of the characters so hes stalling. I cant think of any other reason.

plenty of new material has surfaced (a new sample chapter was released just last week, the last one before the book is released)

What!!!! Why wasn't I informed!!!!? *stalks off to georgerrmartin.com to find it and read it*

#285 User is offline   Geoffray 

• Rory "The bloody last Centurion" Williams

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yep, Bran Chapter IIRC.
Sorry for my english ;), I'm french :P

I've came with a message and a question. A message from The Doctor and a question from me. Where Is My Wife?!

Rory "God himself" Williams

#286 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Well, it was read at a con and reported on, it wasn't put up on his website ;)

It might be released later on though, like Theon's was.

This subject has been debated numerous times already, so quick version: Wert is a mod on the GRRM board and gets grumpy if people keep posting uninformed guesses without researching it first.

Fixed :)

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#287 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostWerthead, on Aug 14 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Well, it was read at a con and reported on, it wasn't put up on his website ;)

It might be released later on though, like Theon's was.

This subject has been debated numerous times already, so quick version: Wert is a mod on the GRRM board and gets grumpy if people keep posting uninformed guesses without researching it first.

Fixed :)

You must post links, Wert! Post them, for the love of Westeros; Post them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#288 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Theon's chapter.

Summary of Bran chapter.

#289 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Ha ha, Wert defends Georgies dignity once again.
I AM A TWAT

#290 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

So cos I can't be bothered to read hundreds of posts anyone know when the book is actually going to be released?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#291 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

No
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#292 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

I love you Wert! and screw the rest of you i'm off to read about crippy boy!
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

#293 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

View PostWerthead, on Aug 14 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

Regardless of what happens with ADWD, the third SoIaF prequel, The Mystery Knight, is locked for publication in Warriors in March 2010.

Wait, there are prequels already published? Details please, sir wert.
Error: Signature not valid

#294 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

They're Novellas, also made into graphic novels. The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and this new one. Stories about Dunk and Egg. Ser Duncan the Tall and a Prince Aegon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#295 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:09 AM

Guessing the new one is going to be about the tourney at herrenall ( ya i mispelled it )
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

#296 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on Aug 14 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

So cos I can't be bothered to read hundreds of posts anyone know when the book is actually going to be released?

I'm thinking it will be available May/June of 2010.

And if it is not there then, then call me a liar. But i don't think you will be calling me such.

I'm one of the biggest razzers of GRRM. But I know, I feel it in my reading bones, that he is going to WOW us with the next installment.

He's too good of a writer not to.

This post has been edited by Slumgullion Spitteler: 15 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

#297 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on Aug 14 2009, 11:39 PM, said:

No. Currently people think it'll be earlier next year, but we won't have any promises till the manuscript is in.

On the plus side, Martin's perfectionism means there'll likely be less work to do on the manuscript than others - say Rofthuss, who's first draft is in but I heard still needs some work.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#298 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostVolkh, on Aug 15 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

Guessing the new one is going to be about the tourney at herrenall ( ya i mispelled it )

Unfortunately not ;) The Dunk 'n' Egg stories start 89 years before A Game of Thrones and span a period of 50 years, which is still 22 years before the Harrenhal tourney. The last one, I believe, is planned to take place at Summerhall on the night Rhaegar was born. That's also when we'll get the full story about Prince Duncan and Jenny of Oldstones, which was mentioned in ASoS. There'll be nine stories in this sequence altogether, I believe.

I gather that GRRM thinks the later D&E stories will get bigger and maybe turn into short novels (as they only strictly have one POV each, Ser Duncan), so he's keeping these early ones as short and as stand-alone as possible. I gather he wants to finish the main series before really kicking in the Dunk 'n' Egg stuff.

#299 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

Right on wert. I didn't know that he was just doing dunk and egg stories when you stated the name for the next. When I saw the title, it was the 1st thing I thought of since I always wanted a full recount of how neds sis kicked everyone's ass and how price R fell inlove with her for it and thus we get jon who is both stark and taragalskdfja whatever so he is fire and ice. wait isn't the series called that! but that's my fav theory lol

and wert who is bloodraven? I can't for the life of me remember. Its been to long since i did a reread and were I am familure with that name, I can't place it.
[coughs]

#300 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

Sounds pretty good. I love how these huge series can produce little offspring books, like Dunk and Egg, or Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. Makes them stand out from the rest, no doubt :thumbsup:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users