Malazan Empire: Happy Waitangi Day, A New Zealand Public holiday - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy Waitangi Day, A New Zealand Public holiday

#1 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thought i'd wish everyone a Happy Waitangi Day, which is a public holiday here in New Zealand (6th Feb). It is to celebrate (or commemorate depending on your view) the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi between the European settlers and the Maori in New Zealand.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub, but I thought I'd leave you with a link to a great song by a Kiwi musician called Tiki Taane, called "Tangaroa", which mixes some traditional Maori instrumentation with modern dub/electronic production. The video is a powerful addition when you consider Taane is half Maori, and wrote this as part of his spiritual journey to better understand his heritage (even better in this regard, his father is the one performing the haka vocals)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JNDiFxY6n-k

Have a good one.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

The Kiwis here on base weren't even allowed the 2 beers us Aussies were allowed to have on Australia Day, poor form on their superiors' behalf. :p

Love watching the cool Maori welcoming ceremonies every time someone notable visits, or a new crew arrives. A pity we have no equivalent.

Cheers,

La Sombra, pakeha

This post has been edited by Sombra: 06 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users