• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dawn of War 2 Multiplayer Beta Open! ...with a catch

#1 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

The Dawn of War 2 Multiplayer Beta is open from midnight GMT tonight! So, an hour and a bit ago!linky

...if you have your Soulstorm CD key. And Steam.

If not, you'll have to wait until next week for it. I'm going to download it tomorrow, and I'm going to play it to death.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#2 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

I wish I had the stuff required... but I don't. Ment told me about this as something to check out so I have been, looks fantastic.

I guess you will just have to sing its praise for us.

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:03 AM

sigh
my current laptop lacks the specs to run it. I couldn't even run Soulstorm (well, it could, but with horrible lag and great slowness)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

FINALLY

After the dentist's appointment, the builder in to look at the hole in the roof, the wait for the PC to get back from the techs and then the constant restarts and eventual system restore to remove all the crap software they installed that keeps crashing it, I have everything I need to start playing. 10-to-1 I get hit by a bus in the next five minutes.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

OK, had a quick go with the Nids.

It's... different. Unit caps are crazy, it's a much smaller game than 1 was. There's no really other buildings but the HQ and some supplementary power structures - you have strategic points and power points now, with the SPs acting a lot like critical locations used to. A six-player map had as many cappable things as an old two-player map.

HOWEVER, seeing a Carnifex crush the defenses a Termagaunt squad was hiding behind to flatten them was brilliant. Would play more once I'm used to the new interface.

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

can you play as eldar? whose supposed to be in the game

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Sphess Mereens- er, Space Marines (the Soulstorm Marine commander has a funny voice, don't judge me), Orks, Eldar and Tyranids.

#8 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

I like how it plays - have ha a really interesting time getting ti grips with the new control styles and the Eldar playstyle against an AI (too chicken to duke it out on the webz).

The thing that bugs me the most is the dire need for vehicles. Once you get to tier 3, it's vehicles, vehicles, vehicles... as the walker units simply smash squads and covers and you need vehicles to take those out.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#9 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:07 AM

question about Soulstorm: Does the campaign of the game have a campaign for all the races or just the two new ones?

I saw this on steam for $7, so I am thinking about it

#10 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

I loved DoW.. how does it compare to DoW2? Will I still get to cackle gleefully when my avatar slowly skewers defenceless enemies on his massive flaming sword?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

Yes, you will. The avatar rules, and you'll want to have him run into as many squads as possible.

The catch (s I experience it versus the pc) is though that fights will not develop into massive strategic brawls over the control of a few points on the map, like in the original.

Instead, it is much more micromanagement per unit, monitoring retreats and circumvention of the enemy, because there are fewer squads, squads are smaller, because the maps are very open, and also because reinforcement has been tampered with (now only works near specific vehicles/ home base).

Often times, it is much better to entrench the mass of your infantry behind cover near the victory point closest to his base, hoping to tie down the enemy if he comes in numbers for it, keeping another fast unit as back-up to chase him down if he tries to get behind your lines, while a single squad is capturing his resources/vps behind his back, then to try and force your way through, because the computer/ opponent will gleefully steal your points behind your back while you try to overpower him.

By incorporating power nodes on the map instead of in your base, you can be hamstrung if you look for a decisive battle, especially since defense is pretty strong through the cover system.

So, battles are less massive, but still fun - and due to the reinforcement rules, taking out an enemy squad without great losses for yourself is a thing to go for.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#12 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I've tried playing the beta 3 or 4 times, and it always crashs on me after 10ish minutes for some reason I don't understand. The specs on my laptop are way more than sufficient for the game.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users