Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Burn's Sleep and Timeline Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kruppe's Mule 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

This may be a dumb question and I apologize if this was already discussed, but the search engine turned up nothing.

The books are currently taking place around year 1160's of Burn's sleep. What happened before this? There were definitely Jaghut, I'mass, KCCM walking the lands hundreds of thousands of years before Burns sleep began so why would it be such a big deal if Brood woke Burn up? Wasnt Burn awake before her sleep?

I am probably wording this question horrendously, my head is stuffed up and dealing with audits all day has my brain fried.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Brood's waking her up would result in the obliteration of every civilization. Burn went to sleep because the Crippled God, who is chained go her, is posoining her and she can better protect herself while in coma mode.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Kruppe's Mule 

• Recruit

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

I understand the part that Burn went to sleep in order to deal better with the CG being chained to her. My question lies more in what will happen if Burn awakens? Are we talking explosions, volcanos, etc.? How come she will create such a ruckus once she is awake, especially since Burn was awake prior to the chaining and beings were living prior to her going to sleep.

Or is the fact that Burn's waking up and realizing that she is so poisoned the reason she destroys everything in order to heal herself.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

It depends on the manner of "waking" Burn. Brood's hammer was designed as the ultimate finality. If he can find no way to heal Burn, and her destruction was imminent due to the Crippled God, Brood smacks the hammer down and we have geological apocalypse. Otherwise, if she gets healed, she just wakes up and keeps on keeping on being Burn, i.e. before the Crippled Gods fall and subsequent Chainings.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Kruppe's Mule 

• Recruit

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Got it now, no idea why I never came to that conclusion, as obvious as it seems.

Thanks.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:15 AM

View PostKruppe's Mule, on Jan 16 2009, 05:54 PM, said:

Got it now, no idea why I never came to that conclusion, as obvious as it seems.

Thanks.

Oh it's a far from obvious conclusion, don't feel bad. We have the benefit of ridiculously protracted debates about this stuff, and now you do too!

Furthermore I'd like to add that if she just stays sleeping, the CG's influence on her could result in destroying the whole world and everything upon it, whereas her waking up violently would wreak havoc on civilizations and kill many, but still leave some life alive to begin civilization anew. Of course, her waking up calmly is still the best bet...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Is it guaranteed Burn would cause apocalyptic doom if she awoke? Perhaps she could tone it down, take a few deep breaths...
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

Yes, if it is the result of Brood's :broody:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users